Author Topic: Unlucky ships  (Read 3992 times)

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Re: Unlucky ships
« Reply #30 on: 13 August 2017, 09:54:38 »
I don't think the Royal Navy plans to have any more HMS Hoods

They waited quite a long time before reusing the Invincible class names after their poor showing at Jutland
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Starbuck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 13 August 2017, 13:20:42 »
french frigate Meduse, ran aground off the coast of Mauritania in 1816.

about 150 people of the crew and passengers were left behind on a raft without supplies, guess what happened . . .

this story inspired Theodore Gericault's famous painting The Raft of the Medusa
"You promised me Mars colonies. Instead, I got Facebook."
Buzz Aldrin

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #32 on: 19 August 2017, 15:29:34 »
I recall a US Submarine that had a LOT of fails with their torpedo attacks. They would all either miss or not detonate.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #33 on: 19 August 2017, 15:32:15 »

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #34 on: 19 August 2017, 16:49:52 »
I recall a US Submarine that had a LOT of fails with their torpedo attacks. They would all either miss or not detonate.
The Mark 14 Torpedo had numerous issues due to problems with the arming system and running too deep. I was told that warshots were made from successfully used exercise torpedoes recovered.

Of course, on one boat they fired an inert TLAM shape (matches shape and weight of real weapon) from a tube instead of a water slug.

Really loud and went to the bottom.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #35 on: 19 August 2017, 16:55:55 »
that happened a lot in WW2, due to issues with the magnetic detonators.

the USS Tinosa (SS-283) fired 15 Mark-14 Torpedoes (with the above magnetic detonators) in both proximity and direct impact shots and failed to do any damage ot the japanese cargoship Tonan Maru No.3
they saved their 16th and last torpedo and sailed right back home.

the failure of a submarine to sink a single 19,000 ton cargoship while expending its entire torpedo load, with all 15 turning out to be duds, was what finally got the Navy brass to look into the complaints they'd been receiving about the Mk.14's problems.

http://www.historynet.com/us-torpedo-troubles-during-world-war-ii.htm
« Last Edit: 19 August 2017, 17:03:08 by glitterboy2098 »

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #36 on: 19 August 2017, 18:50:53 »
For another good Mk. 15 story, USS Nautilus fired a spread of torpedoes at the Japanese carrier Kaga during the Battle of Midway- the ship had already been hit by bombs and was burning furiously (and sank later anyway), but Nautilus' captain wisely decided not to risk the crippled ship being able to get her fires under control and limp home for repairs. (Note that this is exactly what nearly happened hours later a few hundred miles away with the Yorktown- if not for submarine torpedoes finally causing fatal damage the ship might have been towed back to Hawaii) Nautilus scored a single hit on the immobile Japanese flat-top...

...at which point the front half of the torpedo snapped off and sank to the bottom of the Pacific, while the second half bobbed up to the surface, where by some accounts some of the Kaga's crew used it as a life raft while awaiting rescue- in which case, Nautilus' torpedo not only failed to cause damage, it actually may have helped SAVE some of the crew.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #37 on: 19 August 2017, 19:27:31 »
*snip*
Of course, on one boat they fired an inert TLAM shape (matches shape and weight of real weapon) from a tube instead of a water slug.

Really loud and went to the bottom.
If they hit their berthing barge with that shape, I think I know which boat it was...