Author Topic: Adapting other rulesets to Battletech  (Read 1136 times)

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
Adapting other rulesets to Battletech
« on: 20 August 2017, 09:25:52 »
Hello all,

A couple of friends and I have played a fair bit of BT, including campaigns, over the last couple of years, as well as a few pen and paper role playing games. We want to start doing some BT RPG, but the rules presented in ATOW seem... complex... and not all that fun. I have been considering adapting another set of rules to the BT universe to overcome this. Combat probably won't be a huge deal as most major engagements will be taken care of on the hexboard, in mechs. The most likely candidate is one of the FFG Star Wars RPGs (Age of Rebellion), as this plays quickly and easily, and the dice pool system used really lends itself to immersive play.

My questions are:

has anybody tried this, or something similar?

If so, what were your experiences?

do you have any notes or other documentation I could steal your ideas look over?

And are there any other systems you could recommend for this kind of adaptation? requirements are:
      Quick to pick up and play
      Character progression that pays off
      Simple combat for small scale "on foot" fighting
      A dice system that doesn't "pull you out of the game" when players make uncharacteristically bad rolls at stuff their PCs should be good at (Looking at you, D&D)
      Preferably tailored to sci fi for ease of conversion
      Freely available is a plus but not compulsory

Thank you for your time,  I look forward to your responses.

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Adapting other rulesets to Battletech
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2017, 17:26:07 »
If you can find it, 2nd edition Mechwarrior is quick and easy to make characters, and 100% board game compatible with no conversion needed.
I am personally not impressed with the d&d d20 system for science fiction games especially

As far as making chars in ATOW being complicated I would say yes and no that is something that archetype chars are for you basically can use them as is or tweak them by swapping a skill or advantage/disadvantages for one's of equal value

Of course I might be biased because I used to play palladium (rifts) for years, and even played gurps a few times.

Actually the system I liked for a pretty simple game where advancement was meaningful was the old West End Games d6 star wars game.