Author Topic: Which lance packs would you recommend for a beginner?  (Read 1743 times)

ussenterprise

• Recruit
Which lance packs would you recommend for a beginner?
« on: 17 September 2017, 13:38:56 »
Looking to buy a couple lance packs.  Which ones have the better more cost efficient figures?

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: Which lance packs would you recommend for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2017, 19:08:19 »
For painting, I would recommend the ones with larger Mechs.  Easier to work on for beginner painters in my opinion.  For playing AS, my step-son and I started with lighter Mechs before moving on to the big boys.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2017, 19:09:52 »
Depends what you want in terms of "cost efficiency".

The packs usually cost the same from each supplier, so the Assault or Battle Packs are more "tons" for your buck. The Command and Pursuit lances are good at their respective jobs, and the Striker lance is pretty much a DCMS lance for cheap ;)

Short form, they're all good value for something; depends on the something you want, though.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2017, 07:42:07 »
Another thing to keep in mind is Alpha Strike is not a "What you see is what you get" (WYSIWYG) game.  You can use coins and bottlecaps to represent units... my advice would be to focus miniature purchases on mechs you particularly like and want to paint.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2017, 15:04:12 »
BUY ALL THE LANCE PACKS!! 😂
No two packs are designed to fight each other out of the box I think, but the combinations you can make from 4,5, or all of them are just about endless! I started just ordering 2 packs, but they are like potato chips, you can never have just one! Now I have 2 or 3 of each. 😁

ussenterprise

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2017, 17:24:34 »
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it seems like all the Lance Packs are good.  They are all quite affordable, and from what I've heard, the mech selection includes some of the most common mechs (Atlas, Awesome, Catapult, etc.) and the mech figures seem to be of good quality.

Register