Author Topic: Illician Lancers Battalion (Plastic Style)  (Read 2757 times)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Illician Lancers Battalion (Plastic Style)
« on: 27 September 2017, 23:57:14 »
Working on my second company paint job, this time with AS packs.  Picked up the striker, support, and battle lance packs to paint up in a Illician Lancer scheme, specifically a company from the 9th Rangers.  Inspiration sprung from the Grasshopper pictured in Illician colors from CM: Mercs.  I'm starting this thread both to share and ask questions as I go.

So attached I have my 'proof of concept' mech, the Guillotine from the striker lance pack.  I'm happy with how the khaki came out.  Thinned DecoArt Fawn to start (Orion pictured because I forgot to snap a shot of the Guillotine before moving on), then washed with Vallejo Sepia game ink, drybrushed with DA Desert Sand, hit the joints with the Sepia wash again, and finished with a drybrush of DA Sand.  Think I might hit it with one more layer to bring the yellow out a bit more.  Not many examples to draw from, so advice here is most welcome.

My next question is the 'rust red' trim.  The example in CM: Mercs looks almost brown, and Dak's work on CamoSpecs looks almost like a deep blood red.  I'm looking for something more in between those two.  I have Vallejo, DecoArt, and JoSonja paints to work with.  Much thanks in advance for any and all thoughts and advice!   :)
« Last Edit: 06 January 2018, 16:28:37 by Valkerie »
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
Re: Illician Lancers Company (Plastic Style)
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2017, 19:26:00 »
Looking forward to seeing the group photo!  Also glad to see the Illician Lancers!

By the by, are you planning on doing decals/insignia?

My go-to "rust" paint that I use for my Amphigean and Regulan Hussars is Folk Art's Raw Sienna (not sure if that will help at all).
« Last Edit: 28 September 2017, 19:28:36 by Hayden. »
Hayden

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2017, 21:26:06 »
Yeah, once the my year end bonus comes in from work I'm going to order some decals from Piranha Graphics.  I've got these guys and the Fed Suns Armored Calvary  I did as well that are going to need some.  Just checked Piranha and saw decals for the 9th.  Awesome! Ready to make that next step  :)  Just need moola...

I have some raw sienna in the JoSojna's acrylics, as well as some red earth as well.  Might try working with those and see what I get.  I've got the green and the blue figured out for the rest of the trim.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2017, 15:03:36 »
Well after playing mad chemist with my paints, I came up with a rust red I was happy with (thank you Hayden, your suggestion sent me down the right path  8) ).  The green was easy.  The blue for the 9th Rangers I guessed at as I could not find a reference that spelled it out exactly.  In the end, I am very happy with my proof of concept.  Just a few finishing touches to do on this one, though I'm not sure how I'm going to finish out the searchlight.

First photo is before final touchups and washes.  Second two photos are after that and with my usual picture 'studio' setup.  I hit most of the joints with the Sepia ink wash again, and then very lightly over some of the panels for some shading.  The wee bit of metallic got black washed.

Now I just have to repeat all of this eleven more times... 8) 8)

Comments welcome as always.  Have a great week all!

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2017, 22:16:16 »
(thank you Hayden, your suggestion sent me down the right path  8) ).

Glad to hear it!  That Guillotine is looking pretty good, excited to see the rest!
Hayden

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2017, 13:47:38 »
Hey, an update  :)  Almost done with what is now going to be the first company (first picture) of a whole battalion.  The birthday hit two weeks ago and someone thought it was a good idea to give me a Amazon gift card with a large sum of money on it.  One shopping cart full of BattleTech stuff later, I filled in the rest of what I needed for a full battalion (second pic).  I should have the first company done here in a couple weeks and I'll put some more pics up then.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2017, 22:11:27 »
Happy Halloween everyone!  }:) >:D  My first of now three Illician Lancer companies is mostly done.  After taking the pictures this evening, I see a few more spots I have to clean up. Plus I still have to get decals.  However, they are more than good enough to start play and they will this weekend against my step-son.  As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.  Hope everyone has a fun and safe Halloween out there!   8)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2017, 04:49:16 »
Great work, and love the basing.

What are you using for antennas?

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2017, 09:51:18 »
What are you using for antennas?

It's piano wire that we sell at work.  I don't remember what size at the moment.  I now have probably a lifetime supply of it since it comes as three foot pieces with five to a bundle.   8)

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 02 November 2017, 02:54:45 »
Looking good!
Hayden

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 07 November 2017, 04:53:33 »
Very nice!

tsmpaul

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 07 November 2017, 20:29:05 »
I like the colour scheme - just wanted to say the bases look really fantastic too!
- red vs blue battletech painting -

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: Illician Lancers Battalion (updated)
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2018, 16:27:53 »
Whoa, an update.  Holiday time slowed me down quite a bit, but now I'm back at it.  Company 2 is almost finished, and Company 3 is about a third of the way done.  Few pics to update those and shot of the whole battalion.

Oh, and I now have decals... ;D

Register