Author Topic: MekHQ JumpShip Route Times  (Read 1853 times)

Easy

• Warrant Officer
MekHQ JumpShip Route Times
« on: 06 October 2017, 10:27:45 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 18:30:17 by Easy »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: MekHQ JumpShip Route Times
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2017, 11:17:38 »
There are a few variables that I think explain why LF batteries are not taken into account.

If the sail is charging the main battery then you have to find another way to charge the LF battery if you want to charge it at the same time.  For a warship that can carry fuel or a jumpship that has a dropship on it's collars to borrow fuel from this isn't too much of a problem.  Since these are variables that are likely to be outside a player's control it makes sense not to include any time savings.

As for recharge stations they actually don't decrease charging speed that much.  I know a lot of players have this misconception that a ship can show up, pay a fee, and be recharged in a rather short amount of time but that has never been the case with them.  Where they are most useful is in systems with dim stars where charging from the sail will take longer but even then you're probably only going to save a day and a half with no quick charge roll.  If you want to quick charge, especially with the -2 from direct cable connections modifier, then you could get much more substantial time savings provided you make your roll.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2017, 12:15:36 »
Also keep in mind the MekHQ is a work in progress. We've got long standing requests to code LF batteries, pirate points, and quick charging.

So as you say GM moves are a good option to capture that.

Personally, I've always thought the charge times on Jumpships were too long.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2017, 13:33:02 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 18:30:40 by Easy »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2017, 15:34:37 »
*nod*

What makes it even stranger is that even using the jump sail anything under 175 hours is considered a quick charge under current rules.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2017, 16:35:56 »
Quick charging from the fusion engine takes a lot of fuel though, so sails will be the primary means while recharge stations would be better. The problem there is most of the stations are gone (post SL) not to mention the lack of canon information on the subject (though CO system gen rules would help there).

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2017, 16:47:02 »
That is the thing though, there are stars that allow charging in less than 175 hours but using the sail to do so still counts as a quick charge under the current rules.  So you don't automatically have to use the fuel to quick charge.

Another scenario is that you take the 175 hours using the fuel.  Yeah it still cost you fuel but there is no risk if you take time.

It is all these little variables that drive me a tad nuts about Battletech's interstellar transit methodology.

Register