Author Topic: Life Modules List?  (Read 2577 times)

Aposiopesis

• Corporal
Life Modules List?
« on: 21 October 2017, 16:18:25 »
This is rather specific, but I am looking for two specific things and hoping for some help:

1) A list of all of the AToW specific life modules (not necessarily what they do, just a name) and the relevant source to find them. Or in the very least, a list of all the material that has AToW modules.

2) A list of all the life modules/paths, or sourcebooks containing modules/paths, that could be adapted into/referenced for AToW (CBTRPG/MW3rd paths, etc).

This will help tremendously. I wish CGL had a quick reference like this. It'd be nice if the store page for AToW, for instance, would list what other books can directly expand its rules or options. If you guys are reading...

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Life Modules List?
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2017, 21:33:39 »
Speaking primarily as the author/dev of the AToW books, I have no quick and ready lists but....

One thing AToW did is ditch the endless addition of life modules that MW3rd/CBTRPG had going on, in favor of generic modules. AToW Companion added no new modules, but did establish variant rules to play with them, as well as rules for converting all previous editions of the game to AToW.

What this means? For all AToW modules, you just need the AToW core book to have all available modules; no others are necessary because there should be no new modules elsewhere. (The sole exception to this are the Era Digest/Era Report books, which simply provide historical data on what factions/modules need to be modified--and how--for their setting; they don't add new modules entirely, they just adjust for the specific time period.)

As to previous editions that are compatible, the AToW Companion conversion rules basically make all of them usable, so if you build a character using older rules, you can convert them quick and easy into AToW versions. The thing is, though, none of the life paths made for 3rd Ed are truly compatible with AToW directly, due to the change in core rulesets.

Does that help at all?

- Herb

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2017, 21:55:37 »
Another related thought is that AToW is very easy to create your own material for in terms of life modules.  As long as you ensure the XP spent matches the XP that comes out and it works for your group have at.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2017, 22:08:37 »
One thing AToW did is ditch the endless addition of life modules that MW3rd/CBTRPG had going on, in favor of generic modules. AToW Companion added no new modules, but did establish variant rules to play with them, as well as rules for converting all previous editions of the game to AToW.
Another problem with the MW3rd life modules is that several that shouldn't be obtainable are, Warrior House, Death Commando's, and Nekakami members shouldn't be playable, and there's probably a few others that belong on this list.

And the ability to cripple the character in creation also causes problems.

Aposiopesis

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2017, 10:29:19 »
Speaking primarily as the author/dev of the AToW books, I have no quick and ready lists but....

What this means? For all AToW modules, you just need the AToW core book to have all available modules; no others are necessary because there should be no new modules elsewhere. (The sole exception to this are the Era Digest/Era Report books, which simply provide historical data on what factions/modules need to be modified--and how--for their setting; they don't add new modules entirely, they just adjust for the specific time period.)

As to previous editions that are compatible, the AToW Companion conversion rules basically make all of them usable, so if you build a character using older rules, you can convert them quick and easy into AToW versions. The thing is, though, none of the life paths made for 3rd Ed are truly compatible with AToW directly, due to the change in core rulesets.

Does that help at all?

- Herb

Herb, that helps a lot, thanks. It was the Era Report modifications I was thinking of. Group of new players and I'm trying to give them an idea of what factions would look like.

As Monbvol mentioned I can always make my own as well I suppose! The old MW3rd one's will help with inspiration.

I'm trying to put together something of a large set of house rules (or more accurately a non-official AToW revised), but also trying to stay as close to the source material as possible, as I largely like the changes AToW made to the MW/BT RPG system. I think one of the things I like about it is how easy it is to modify/house rule.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2017, 11:14:40 »
Do your house rules extend to weapons and power packs?  I have a few threads down in Fan Rules you might be interested in if so...

Aposiopesis

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2017, 18:48:30 »
Do your house rules extend to weapons and power packs?  I have a few threads down in Fan Rules you might be interested in if so...

I would eventually like them to do so, though admittedly most of mine at the moment are focused on character creation/advancement and interaction with mechs/vees, as most of my AToW campaigns integrate heavily with tabletop.

I will happily scour for good ideas/existing changes to incorporate!

My eventual goal is to release a full revision of changes that can be applied to the entirety of AToW if you have the original AToW to reference.

As a quick example, skill links (changed only):

Acrobatics: DEX
Archery: RFL  (STR adds significantly to damage except with certain types of bow)
Art (Advanced Tier): DEX + WIL
Career: WIL
Climbing: STR
Computers: INT+WIL
Escape Artist: DEX + INT
Gunnery: RFL+WIL
Perception: WIL
Protocol: CHA + INT
Running: STR
Small Arms: RFL
Stealth: DEX + WIL
Streetwise: WIL
Support Weapons: RFL
Survival: INT+WIL

I realize a fair amount of that requires explanation (I've changed the meaning of attributes a little and not just skills), but I'll leave all that for a more dedicated thread.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2017, 19:41:23 »
Cool... So far, I've taken a whack at fixing Power Packs, Machine Guns, and Grenade Launchers.  I also proposed a new model Auto-Rifle that will fit with tweaking how burst fire weapons are converted to TW scale (by changing how the Reload Factor is determined).

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2017, 21:18:38 »
Oh, if you're going for house rules, anything goes then.

Have fun with it!

- Herb