Author Topic: Might Before Metal: Home of Clan Hell's Horses III  (Read 88300 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Re: Might Before Metal: Home of Clan Hell's Horses III
« Reply #60 on: 28 January 2018, 13:00:41 »
I believe they fall under vehicle (which I believe greatly irks the Falcons).

That could be nasty.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #61 on: 28 January 2018, 15:05:34 »
Just had to share this, played my first Megamek game against real opponents (and one bot) in a long time last night. I used three points of heavy jump infantry and two points of fast recon. Out of 100 Clan Hell's Horses warriors I lost a total of 17, though they were all as honorable as any and will be missed. Most of those died from having building parts fall on them.

In return I killed an upgraded Hollander, a Firetater Mirage, and a Griffin.The only thing on the map I did not kill was a PPC carrier and that was because the Griffin shot first.

I was told after the game that I have to remember the game is called megaMEK and not megaINFANTRY.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #62 on: 28 January 2018, 20:47:26 »
That's it! Show them who's boss!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #63 on: 30 January 2018, 12:01:25 »
I don't know why, bute everytime I use the clan heavy jump infantry and clan fast recon infantry, I keep going back to that clan I made up, Clan Incontinent Gorillas.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 30 January 2018, 12:02:25 »
What do the Horses think of Clan Stone Lion?

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #65 on: 31 January 2018, 15:03:30 »
I think I have over specialized in infantry. Can anyome give me a good Horse's mech that is usable in any era?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #66 on: 31 January 2018, 17:44:06 »
Loki!

Best Falcon... er, Horse 'Mech ever.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 31 January 2018, 17:48:49 »
Loki!

Best Falcon... er, Horse 'Mech ever.
Wait a minute here... Hellbringer, Nova, Stormcrow... did the Horses design ALL the good omnis?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #68 on: 01 February 2018, 23:44:01 »
A-yep!

But even more fun, we also have created novel ideas that have stuck around, like the Quad-Vees.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 10 February 2018, 18:09:28 »
Ran a Balius D in a game tonight. I was impressed with the perfomance in general despite my bad rolls but I think one of the other variants would work better.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #70 on: 17 February 2018, 00:01:29 »
I have a question about CHH's allotment of Bloodnames in FM:Crusader Clans. Out of the 40 original BN's from Historical: Operation Klondik, only 13 were printed in the Field Manual. Is there anything stated (in any published book or material)about if any of the other BN's are either in-used (but the active count is low), inactive or out-right Reeved?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #71 on: 17 February 2018, 02:02:41 »
I have a question about CHH's allotment of Bloodnames in FM:Crusader Clans. Out of the 40 original BN's from Historical: Operation Klondik, only 13 were printed in the Field Manual. Is there anything stated (in any published book or material)about if any of the other BN's are either in-used (but the active count is low), inactive or out-right Reeved?

No. The 13 listed in the field manual are those that the Horses exclusively control. Otherwise, the other 27 bloodnames could be any mixture of shared with other Clans, inactive or out and out reaved. Note that there's no list of what's what within those 27, largely as a way of leaving it clear for players (and future authors)

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 17 February 2018, 08:26:13 »
Operation: KLONDIKE (the book) of course has all 40 Bloodnames so you have a starting point, but the exact conditions of those Bloodnames in the 3050s is left vague. I don't even think A Time of War breaks them down into major/minor Bloodnames.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #73 on: 17 February 2018, 13:18:56 »
I think I have over specialized in infantry. Can anyome give me a good Horse's mech that is usable in any era?

No such thing Trothkin!
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #74 on: 11 March 2018, 22:05:50 »
OK, I have another question...

Now in Total Warfare, when determining random skill levels and skill ranks, Clan Tanks are supposed to roll at -1 (to reflect the bias and half-hearted training that the Clans typically give to their vehicle corps, which is to say, non existent). Now as I read the various resources I have on this subject (Both Field Manuals, FM Update plus others), does the Hell's Horses Touman take the same vein as other clans (that they, too, roll their skills at -1 on the dice roll)? It seems odd to me that a clan that values team work and 'Man before his machine' would allow substandard training in their mechanized corps. Am I wrong on this thought?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #75 on: 12 March 2018, 06:45:21 »
OK, I have another question...

Now in Total Warfare, when determining random skill levels and skill ranks, Clan Tanks are supposed to roll at -1 (to reflect the bias and half-hearted training that the Clans typically give to their vehicle corps, which is to say, non existent). Now as I read the various resources I have on this subject (Both Field Manuals, FM Update plus others), does the Hell's Horses Touman take the same vein as other clans (that they, too, roll their skills at -1 on the dice roll)? It seems odd to me that a clan that values team work and 'Man before his machine' would allow substandard training in their mechanized corps. Am I wrong on this thought?

You are. There's a rule somewhere that the Horses don't suffer that same -1 penalty on Vehicle skill rolls as everyone else. I think it's Total Warfare or FM:Crusader Clans, but don't quote me.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 12 March 2018, 09:01:50 »
Did vehicle training get an upgrade post reaving do you think?

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #77 on: 12 March 2018, 20:38:09 »
*shrug* That's really a question more along the lines of 'A typical day in the life of the Inner Sphere Clan Sibko Cadet' because it's gotta be different somewhat since all the Invader Clans became residents post Jihad...

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #78 on: 13 March 2018, 00:23:02 »
FMCC has a bunch of bonuses for using infantry but nothing about tanks.

FM3145 has a +1 bonus for rolls on the skills table. I am sure that it is included elsewhere too.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #79 on: 13 April 2018, 15:20:49 »
Hey, can someone tell me what the MP loss rate is for mounting mag-clamped ProtoMechs on an Omni? I'm away from my PDFs at the moment and I'm trying to work out some ratios for a QuadVee/Proto "Nova".

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #80 on: 13 April 2018, 20:30:16 »
According to IO, they use the "Carrying external cargo rules" from Total Warfare to calculate the MP reduction. BattleMechs use the total weight of the ProtoMechs being carried, while an OmniMech gets to reduce the weight of EACH ProtoMech by 3 tons before calculating the MP reduction.

According to TW, cargo weight weighing up to a quarter of the carrying unit's mass subtracts 3 MP (or cuts MP in half, whichever is less) while any more weight reduces the MP by half. No jumping is allowed in either case.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #81 on: 14 April 2018, 03:33:34 »
Hmm...so if a Notos was carrying, say, two Minotaur P2s, that would slow it to...2/3 in 'Mech mode and 3/5 in vee mode? Yeesh, yeah, that's definitely not worth it.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #82 on: 14 April 2018, 20:45:38 »
Okay, so with that idea kaput, does anyone have any suggestions as to what unit would work best as a dual-P2 carrier? Nothing is immediately jumping out at me.

- Klarg1

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 14 April 2018, 21:56:29 »
Tough to say. You either go for something big enough that you only get a -3 to the MP, or you just go for something incredibly light and take the half penalty.

Though of course, it also depends on if you want to just carry them because of fluff, or if you actually want to be faster than the P2 on its own.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #84 on: 16 April 2018, 20:52:08 »
Damn, it's a shame the Horses don't use the Black Lanner, because that'd be pretty decent for this. Maybe taking them one at a time with Arctic Cheetahs? Did I finally find a good use for the Arctic Cheetah?

Relatedly...I'm toying with a tweak to the P2 to replace with iHSLs with ERSLs, but the change in heat sinks would free up 500kg. Still can't decide what to do with that, though.

- Klarg1

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #85 on: 16 April 2018, 21:18:56 »
I dunno. The Arctic Cheetah would be reduced to what, 5/8? While its faster, I'm not sure its really survivable...

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #86 on: 16 April 2018, 22:04:25 »
Well, damn, it seems like the P2 is just totally nonviable, then, unless I'm missing something obvious. Are there any OmniVees that'd fit the bill? The three obvious candidates (the Epona, Hephaestus and Bandit) all arguably suffer from the same fragility issue as the Arctic Cheetah.

- Klarg1

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #87 on: 16 April 2018, 23:44:36 »
I don't think its completely non-viable, but it isn't that easy either. The Viper might work. That would be 5/8 and it can survive a bit more...

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #88 on: 17 April 2018, 00:02:41 »
Oh, hey, yeah, the Viper...and it'd be 5/8/8, really, that's not bad at all. Nice.

- Klarg1

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #89 on: 17 April 2018, 00:07:09 »
Okay, so if you've got a Star of Vipers carrying a Point of Minotaur P2s...what are the other four Points of the presumed accompanying Proto Star? I'd think at least one or two Points of Procyon-Qs for screening purposes...

- Klarg1