Author Topic: SHLD Special Ability  (Read 1824 times)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
SHLD Special Ability
« on: 04 November 2017, 21:31:01 »
Ok, I know I read it in the AS rule books somewhere, but I can't find it now.  Where can I find the details on the SHLD special ability, or barring that, can someone spell it out here?  I know I'm going to feel like a dope when I see it, but oh well.  Thanks in advance all!   8)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
Re: SHLD Special Ability
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2017, 22:46:07 »
pg 46 of the AS rule book.

Shield-bearing ’Mechs gain some protection against weapon
and physical attacks at the expense of their own attack accuracy.
To reflect this, shield-equipped units reduce the damage from
most weapons and physical attacks by 1 point (to a minimum of
0). Indirect attacks, heat-causing attacks, and area-effect attacks
(such as artillery and bombs) are not dampened by the shield and
thus deliver full damage. All weapon attacks made by a ’Mech
with this ability incur an additional +1 to-hit modifier.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2017, 23:47:06 »
See also the errata on SHLD.  IIRC they dropped the to-hit penalty for the unit using the special.

Thunder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2017, 00:09:35 »
+1 for weapon attacks,  Doesn't modify physical attacks.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2017, 00:22:49 »
pg 46 of the AS rule book.

Thank you, I knew it was there.  And I see why I was missing it; I was looking alphabetically and going to 'shield', not 'battlemech shield'.  Ooops.   :-[

But now I have a further question.  The text on pg 46 says a +1 modifier to attack, but the tables in the back on pg 164 say it's a +2 modifier to the attack.  I checked the errata and I don't see anything clarifying this.  Further thoughts?
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2017, 01:09:27 »
pg 15/47 of the errata:

BattleMech Shield (SHLD) (p. 46)
Last sentence
All weapon attacks made by a ’Mech with this ability incur an additional +2 to-hit modifier.
Change to:
All weapon attacks made by a ’Mech with this ability incur an additional +1 to-hit modifier.

Don't have the original date of errata sorry.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2017, 10:05:55 »
Thank you.  That also showed me that I was looking in the wrong errata file.  Now all is clear.  Time to go hang the head in shame... :-[

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #7 on: 05 November 2017, 19:08:36 »
There is no shame in asking for assistance.  I actually went looking for the ruling yesterday because with a +2 to shooting that would make shield horrible.  I have been looking at different forms of damage mitigation and was plesantly surprised at what benefits it did give.  I have never used a shield in TW simply because of the amount of rules I have to keep in mind when using it.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #8 on: 05 November 2017, 21:07:18 »
I have been looking at different forms of damage mitigation and was plesantly surprised at what benefits it did give.  I have never used a shield in TW simply because of the amount of rules I have to keep in mind when using it.

I agree.  The AS rules are much easier and user friendly.  This all came up because of Black Knight 'Red Reaper' we're using this go round.  And thanks again for the assist.