Author Topic: 2 designs , the Beholder and the Melusine  (Read 2163 times)

AngryButler with a KNIFE!

• Warrant Officer
2 designs , the Beholder and the Melusine
« on: 04 December 2017, 14:12:50 »
Trying something new here.  [blank] ::)
And I might be dead wrong in how the Melusine works, depending on if I can carry more than one ammo type at a time - I was somewhat confused with the rulebook/errata on whether or not its possible on a BA.
If so, sorry....

Both are Raven Alliance designs originally, although the Melusine was immediately put on Trial by Clan Sea Fox for obvious reasons you'll see below.

The Beholder is the lingering 'we hate pirates' mentality of the Outworlds Alliance, mixed with the Snow Ravens & Outworlds Alliance 'any AA is good AA' mentality. As most pirates aren't exactly well equipped, with their 'infantry' usually nothing more than a motley band of thugs packed into barely armored jeeps and driving flatbeds, having an infantry force able to rapidly move into position without revealing themselves by jumping all over the place, appealed to the Raven Alliance. That and the dual AP mounts which can be fitted with all kinds of things to make a PBI's life pure hell. Its telling that many Beholder wearers prefer auto-shotguns when dealing with pirates. For larger and better armored targets, the design managed to fit a light Gauss rifle over one shoulder, and a generously supplied LRM-2 over the other shoulder. Against most light VTOLs and vehicles, the Gauss rifle is more than sufficient, while a massed LRM volley from several Beholder squads can make existence rather perilous for ASF pilots, along with being incredibly annoying for said ASF pilots trying to get rid of them easily or quickly. Beyond this, the designs are very easy to get into/out of, and most infantrymen within the Ravens Alliance can learn to use it within a matter of hours as there are backup controls to fire either the Gauss rifle or LRM launcher which are external to the suit, allowing an infantryman in the Beholder to use them much as if they were nothing more than hard-mounted versions of the shoulder carried systems in use for decades or longer. Obviously these backup controls can be locked out to prevent someone else from 'accidentally' firing them.

Code: [Select]
Beholder (Raven Alliance IS Light) BattleArmor
IS experimental

BV: 208
Cost: 1,404,000 C-bills

Ground Movement: 3
(Burdened by unjettisoned body-mounted missile launchers)

Internal: 4
Armor: 24
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Trooper 1                   1        6
Trooper 2                   1        6
Trooper 3                   1        6
Trooper 4                   1        6

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
----------------------------------------
David Light Gauss Rifle (Body) Squad     0
Swarm Mek                      Squad     0
Attack Swarmed Mek             Squad     0
Stop Swarm Attack              Squad     0
Leg Attack                     Squad     0
LRM 2 (Body)                   Squad     0

Ammo                           Loc Shots
BA LRM 2 Ammo                  Squad     3

Equipment                      Loc
----------------------------------
Armored Glove (Left arm)       Squad
Armored Glove (Right arm)      Squad
Anti Personnel Weapon Mount (Right arm) Squad
Anti Personnel Weapon Mount (Left arm) Squad
Handheld Searchlight (Right arm) Squad
Cutting Torch (Left arm)       Squad

Melusine on the other hand, are Clan Snow Raven's response to perceived gap left by the Undine. Whereas the Undine is unabashedly an amphibious assault unit, once it has actually hit the beach, its practically defenseless if a hostile unit were to close with it, while being smart enough to stay out of the water. What the Raven Alliance wanted, due to the numerous water rich worlds under its control (and, to be fair, on the far side of its borders as well), was a true 'beachstormer' unit, able to rapidly assault a coastal position once they've left the aquatic environment. Forgoing heavy armor and the quicker aquatic movement of the Undine for additional ground movement, the result was the Melusine. No longer needing the longer ranging support weaponry, they went for a close range assault loadout of a micro pulse laser - highly effective both in and out of the water - and a very unique missile launcher arrangement.  Where most Battle Armor stick to a single ammunition type, the Melusine has a revolving drum that can carry up to three different ammunition types, although normally it carries dual loads of both standard and torpedo rounds, along with a single load packed with inferno gel - as fire aboard a ship, or along a dock front, is still one of the most feared scenarios for sailors across settled space. To make matters more hectic for opponents, is the fact the Melusine's rudimentary stealth capabilities makes it hard to spot once free from the depths, and a five-pronged battle claw, lined with a vibro-blade along the outside of each claw, meant to punch holes in hulls before opening them up further, much like an unholy version of the Jaws of Life.

Code: [Select]
Melusine (Raven Alliance Light) BattleArmor
Clan experimental

BV: 278
Cost: 2,667,500 C-bills

Ground Movement: 3
Water Movement: 2

Internal: 5
Armor: 25
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Trooper 1                   1        5
Trooper 2                   1        5
Trooper 3                   1        5
Trooper 4                   1        5
Trooper 5                   1        5

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
Micro Pulse Laser (Left arm)   Point     1
Swarm Mek                      Point     0
Attack Swarmed Mek             Point     0
Stop Swarm Attack              Point     0
Leg Attack                     Point     0
SRM 1 (Body)                   Point     0

Ammo                           Loc Shots
BA SRM 1 Ammo                  Point     2
BA SRM 1 Torpedo Ammo          Point     2
BA SRM 1 (Clan) Inferno Ammo   Point     1

Equipment                      Loc
----------------------------------
Battle Vibro Claw (Right arm)  Point
BA Stealth (Basic) (Right arm) Point
BA Stealth (Basic) (Right arm) Point
BA Stealth (Basic) (Left arm)  Point

I love my Wiesel XII. Yes, yes I do.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
Re: 2 designs , the Beholder and the Melusine
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2017, 21:23:42 »
Can torpedos be fired out a regular SRM mount?  I thought they had to be dedicated torpedo launchers
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2017, 18:48:27 »
*headdesks repeatedly*

Was thinking of the multi-purpose LRM rounds of the Undine (can either be LRM or LRT, from the same launcher).

I'll work on that...

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2017, 20:55:32 »
Can torpedos be fired out a regular SRM mount?  I thought they had to be dedicated torpedo launchers
I think they can on BA... Not sure, thought.

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2017, 21:23:38 »
No, he's right. Its only on the LRMs that you get the multi-purpose type ammo that can be fired from level 1 depth and submerged. Beyond that, you either have a dedicated SRT or LRT launcher, or you have a dedicated SRM or LRM launcher, no cross-combos. That's my mistake.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2017, 21:47:48 »
Are there BA torpedo launchers? IIRC I asked about it and was told that I could use both missiles and torpedoes since there were no torpedo launchers.

Of course that was a couple of yours ago so my memory may be faulty, or the rules have changed to add torpedo launchers. :)

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2017, 22:53:37 »
Ok...maybe I wasn't wrong.

*is confuzzled now*

I'm....just going to go tweak my RÅ«aumoko a bit more until I hear back from you guys on errata, as I trust you more than my own reading skills.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 23:13:26 by AngryButler with a KNIFE! »

Register