Author Topic: Battle Angel Alita Trailer posted  (Read 14843 times)

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
Battle Angel Alita Trailer posted
« on: 08 December 2017, 15:30:58 »
While I could of included this in the current Anime thread, I think this deserves it's own thread.

The first trailer for the James Cameron produced & Robert Rodriguez directed Battle Angel Alita is up.

It looks cool and I think the visual tone of the Manga/OVA series was done justice.
All I'll say otherwise is "those eyes". I get what the intent is, but that may be the films undoing...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Battle Angel Alita Trailer posted
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2017, 15:53:30 »
Not a fan of the big eyes look, but the rest looks good. (and lets face it.. the big eyes look in the manga/OVA was meant to make her look younger, not freaky..)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2017, 15:54:46 »
Yay, the eye thing is bit freaky.  They honestly couldn't have made this a total cgi move?? This hybrid thing doesn't look as good. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2017, 16:17:07 »
The hybrid CGI looks like hell especially in the fight at the end, and I'm going to be very quiet about rule four related problems I have with this movie because I'm already on two warnings.

I'm just going to say 'waiting twenty years for the entire movie to be a HUR HUR ANIME GIRLS HAVE BIG EYES joke'...Cameron, you are dead to me.  Sorry bro, it's been on a downward spiral for a long time but I was so hoping this would make up for things.  Done.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2017, 16:22:09 »
well, early trailers are often made from the rough draft versions of the films, sometimes before final effects work passes are made, so the end result might be a bit different. though i can;t imagine that the eyes thing is going to be changed unless the bad reaction is huge..

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2017, 17:45:45 »
GAH! Those Eyes! Why is she the only one to have those horrors?!
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2017, 18:08:01 »
(and lets face it.. the big eyes look in the manga/OVA was meant to make her look younger, not freaky..)
I guess nobody brought that up before it went into final processing....  ???
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2017, 19:03:25 »
So, I guess me loving Alita's look in this film is an unpopular opinion?  :))

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2017, 19:04:32 »
So, I guess me loving Alita's look in this film is an unpopular opinion?  :))

Once I got over the initial shock, I'd have to admit that you're not alone...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2017, 19:54:56 »
I could buy the over-sized eyes if she was supposed to have some kind of advanced optical sensors.  That would make the uncanny valley acceptable from a design stand point.  But from pure aesthetics?  No way...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2017, 19:55:37 »
I guess nobody brought that up before it went into final processing....  ???
in the Manga and OVA, everyone had oversized eyes. it was just part of the art style. Alita had slightly bigger eyes than most.. but so did all the other young-adult type characters. made it fairly clear the intent was to make her look younger.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 03:49:51 by glitterboy2098 »

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2017, 22:16:35 »
Hate it. Ok, its a trailer, so not everything its on it, but yes...hate those eyes, the crappy CGI...and not enough grime. The Scrapyard was full of it. In the ground, the walls, the people. The place the trailer shows looks like almost like a hospital in comparission.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #12 on: 08 December 2017, 23:37:34 »
The trailer is interesting.......But OMG THOSE EYES!!!

Those eyes are gonna haunt my dreams #P
« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 23:40:26 by Snake Eyes »

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #13 on: 09 December 2017, 00:08:32 »
The hybrid CGI looks like hell especially in the fight at the end, and I'm going to be very quiet about rule four related problems I have with this movie because I'm already on two warnings.

I'm just going to say 'waiting twenty years for the entire movie to be a HUR HUR ANIME GIRLS HAVE BIG EYES joke'...Cameron, you are dead to me.  Sorry bro, it's been on a downward spiral for a long time but I was so hoping this would make up for things.  Done.
Get over yourself, mate. You should be happy that he's actually doing something other than Avatars finally. His film crew and cast was touring military units in 2009 and they visited Dwight D. Eisenhower on our 2009 War Cruise (i don't remember if we were in the gulf or IO at the time). I know i got that one graphic Paperback somewhere with his signature. He light the hell up when he saw my Gunmn: Last Order & he was very, very into the idea but mentioned that because of Avatar, it would be years before he could get around just finding the right cast members for it, let alone filming. Yes, those eyes are weird and most Americans unfamiliar with the Gunmn storyline will be taken aback but if the movie violence is faithful to the books, then the masses will fall in love. Please, don't mince on the gore, Cameron. People are really, truly disposable in Gunmn's future Earth...

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #14 on: 09 December 2017, 00:55:06 »
The eyes stand out, but the trailer looks like they make a good attempt at the original material from what I've read (I never read the whole thing).   It certainly doesn't turn me off like the way the trailers to Ghost in the Shell did.  I eagerly await the next trailer. The concern I would have for the financial success of the movie is that it is released 2 weeks after a Marvel release, but comes out a week before the next Mission Impossible.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #15 on: 09 December 2017, 01:37:24 »
THe world and everything looks amazing but with those eyes did they go

"Alright, I want an effect so jarring that it puts on its 7-league boots and strides right into the uncanny valley"
And the effects team then go "Fam, I got you."
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 09 December 2017, 17:49:53 »
Can I go see it now??? One of my favorites from way bay when, can't wait for the movie to be released. Hope they did it justice.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 09 December 2017, 22:27:43 »
Yes.

The eyes are great.

My wife, however, disagrees.

It looks like the story is going to focus more on Vol. 2. I'm fine with that. It might match the plot of the OVA, which was an okay adaptation, but... Oh well.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #18 on: 10 December 2017, 02:43:41 »
I don't know anything about the source material, I'll say that in advance.

At first, I thought the eyes were a stupid gimmick, then we got to the scene where she literally offers the guy her heart, so now I'm thinking they're there to make her deliberately creepy. In which case, I approve.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #19 on: 10 December 2017, 17:06:28 »
Not a fan of the big eyes look, but the rest looks good.

I took it as proof she's still in the uncanny valley. I mean, I haven't seen a real android/robot that isn't.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #20 on: 10 December 2017, 17:12:59 »
The inconsistency is that the trailer shows at least two other cyborgs who have normal sized eyes.  As I said, I could buy it if she was supposed to have some sort of improved optical sensors that required the larger eyes, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 10 December 2017, 20:27:12 »
Well, it COULD be that the oversized eyes are what attracts Ido's interest in the first place when he finds her in the junkpile - it might be played to a plot point. Even if it doesn't, it makes her different - wide-eyed and innocent in a vicious and horrific world.

I don't hate them. I really don't.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 28 September 2018, 23:09:17 »
Yes, I know this is a serious necro, but...

Alita: Battle Angel's release has been moved AGAIN!

So instead of a Christmas release (Move #1), it'll hopefully hit theaters on Valentine's Day 2019. Oh joy...
At least that reduces the number of films I want to see down to two: Bumblebee & Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse.

At least Alita gets sandwiched between to cons I'll be attending that month...

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #23 on: 29 September 2018, 08:18:32 »
I would imagine it's the Studio's call, in the choice of dates (trying squeeze moar green from the body of Deadp, er, Valentine, Studio Mongols?)...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 29 September 2018, 08:36:08 »
Considering the December date put the same day as the Bumblebee film releases, and god knows Transformers films dominate box office receipts, I imagine that was part of it.  It'd also be just as Aquaman releases as well as just after Ralph Breaks The Internet.

Granted it's not perfect, I mean, Captain Marvel comes out in March and Marvel films have a nasty habit of not dominating the box office so much as picking it up and going home with it...but at least it'll have a few weeks on its own without too much major competition in the genre.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #25 on: 29 September 2018, 08:58:13 »
and don't forget we've got Mortal Engines out at xmas too and that looks good! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupYIggOq38
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 29 September 2018, 11:50:26 »
and don't forget we've got Mortal Engines out at xmas too and that looks good! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupYIggOq38
This one might be a skip. I don't feel the 'need' to watch it, much less the want.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #27 on: 29 September 2018, 11:59:18 »
It's a Peter Jackson movie, so you know it's going to be an hour longer than it should be and most of the extra stuff will look good but not actually add to the story.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #28 on: 30 September 2018, 14:08:22 »
I saw it mentioned elsewhere that the move was also meant to gain more exposure in the foreign market, specifically China.   I have no interest in a PG-13 Deadpool and am just disappointed at the additional push back.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #29 on: 30 September 2018, 15:15:18 »
It's a Peter Jackson movie, so you know it's going to be an hour longer than it should be
Only one hour?

Register