Author Topic: Returning to BattleTech in 2018, curious about a few things.  (Read 3347 times)

Trystan Thorne

• Private
Played BattleTech 2nd edition for a while and read all the novels up to MechWarrior: Dark Age and wanted to return to BattleTech for a while now.
Now that I see that new boxes are planned for 2018, well 2018 it is then. :-)

I'm just curious about a few things.
Do we know which time period the new boxes will be? I haven't seen any info on that.
In general, what's the most popular time period these days?

Me personally have always been a huge fan of the original succession wars era. Used to hate the clans at first (they reminded me too much of Klingons bat start), but I have to admit that I got used to them and see positives sides to the clans invasion era too.
Don't think I'll ever get used to the Jihad & Dark Age era (or beyond). Don't want to step on anyone's feet here, but it feels like a cheap rehash of stuff we have already had in BT.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
Re: Returning to BattleTech in 2018, curious about a few things.
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2017, 15:46:30 »
Considering all the Mechs in the Beginner's Box & GoAC Box are SW era Mechs, I would generally guess that the setting would be 3025-39.
There's also been mention that the new fiction that'll be included has ties to the Grey Death Legion origins as well. So take that as you will.

Trystan Thorne

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2017, 16:01:07 »
Thanks a million for the info.
That sounds very good to me. :-D

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2017, 23:17:32 »
I'm pretty sure that the new Box Sets will be set Pre-4th War like all box sets have been in the past. (While it leaves a lot of catching up for new players plotwise, ruleswise it's the simplest era.)

While you're waiting for the box sets to drop, I'd suggest getting the BattleMech Manual. It's the most up-to-date rules for BattleMechs. Has everything from Total Warfare, plus quite a bit from Tactical Operations. The best thing about it though is that it is rewritten from the ground up to be as clear for new players as possible.

And if you'd like to get fully caught up to where we are plotwise, I'd get Field Manual: 3145. It takes things up to (and actually possibly a little after) where the MWDA novels left off. Personally I think it's one of the best written sourcebooks, but of course, YMMV.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Trystan Thorne

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2017, 01:49:39 »
Thanks, getting the BattleMech Manual sounds like a good idea.

I might read a bit into Field Manual: 3145 just to see if I can warm up to anything Dark Age related.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2017, 09:58:05 »
Isn't there a cheat sheet that someone put together that highlights the major changes from BMR to TW?

I'm about to loan my BMR to a friend so he can spool up.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2017, 11:01:50 »
Isn't there a cheat sheet that someone put together that highlights the major changes from BMR to TW?

If you are only worrying about mechs then there are few changes.  Vehicles and Infantry saw the biggest changes.

#1) Partial cover now is a +1, full hit table, legs hits are ignored (hit the hill)
#2) Some critical hits are slightly different (Hip is the main one)
#3) AMS now only spends 1 ammo per use, and is a flat -4 against the missile roll (instead of rolling for it)

If facing infantry, it is a major change, since big anti-mech weapons do almost nothing to them, but flamers and machine guns slay them.

Other than that stuff, it is pretty close to the same. Enough that you can play.  You will still want to look at the TW errata (linked from these forums) as it has some clarifications, or just pick up the Battlemech Manual.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #7 on: 26 December 2017, 09:54:12 »

Yes, I think I have a link to it in the "Returning Players please read this post" I made, but I don't know for sure.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #8 on: 26 December 2017, 10:07:53 »
It makes the most sense to start intro sets in 3025.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Trystan Thorne

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 26 December 2017, 15:49:11 »
Thanks for the replies guys, definitely some great info there.
I also gathered more info on the future box releases and quite keen on those.

After reading more into 3145, I simply can't warm up to anything related to Jihad and after.
So happy to stay in succession wars and clan era.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #10 on: 26 December 2017, 19:00:40 »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/daxfvz5ukut4l2s/Total%20Warfare%20Changes.txt?dl=0
This is the changelog.  I've updated it recently, since I found a new item that had been missed the first time around.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #11 on: 02 January 2018, 11:30:59 »
Also updated the links to Xotl's files in my post. Thanks Xotl!
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2018, 01:33:36 »
Even if you aren't interested in the current era, there are a lot of cool designs you wont want to pass up.  Gunsmith, Lament, Prefect, Malice are 4 of my favorites.  These designs can easily play against mechs before 3050 without any balance issues and in most cases without having to learn any new rules about weapons.  I personally enjoyed the chaos of the Dark Age, I think it was just handled poorly in its execution during the clickytech years. 
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2018, 08:25:47 »
Even if you aren't interested in the current era, there are a lot of cool designs you wont want to pass up.  Gunsmith, Lament, Prefect, Malice are 4 of my favorites.  These designs can easily play against mechs before 3050 without any balance issues and in most cases without having to learn any new rules about weapons.  I personally enjoyed the chaos of the Dark Age, I think it was just handled poorly in its execution during the clickytech years.

I'd also add the Hound to that list. It's easily a 3050 compatible unit.
Be the Loremaster:

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2018, 13:15:33 »
One thing I have not seen mentioned is that you can also find most of the new books as PDF if that works better for you.  I bring my kindle to table top games and I have on it- FM3085, FM3145, ER3145, Campaign Operations, Era Digest Dark Age, and a few other materials.  I have not bothered with BMM or TW b/c someone usually brings a copy which we have tab'd for quick reference.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2018, 13:20:48 »
I concur. Having virtually all the rules on my phone really helps both for transportation and hunting for a rule in the middle of a game

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 13 January 2018, 16:04:55 »
One thing I have not seen mentioned is that you can also find most of the new books as PDF if that works better for you.  I bring my kindle to table top games and I have on it- FM3085, FM3145, ER3145, Campaign Operations, Era Digest Dark Age, and a few other materials.  I have not bothered with BMM or TW b/c someone usually brings a copy which we have tab'd for quick reference.

I concur. Having virtually all the rules on my phone really helps both for transportation and hunting for a rule in the middle of a game

Both are useful.  PDF is faster when you are searching for something, but when you are looking up something with which you are already familiar, its hard to beat a book with some sticky tabs.   Also it's a lot easier to annotate hard copies.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Register