Author Topic: Protocol/Clan  (Read 1467 times)

Maelwys

• Major
Protocol/Clan
« on: 10 January 2018, 23:48:55 »
I'm pretty sure I've discussed this before, but I can't seem to find it....

The Generic sections of Homeworld and Invading Clans give your character "Protocol/Clan." The various Sub-Affiliations such as Diamond Shark and Blood Spirit give your character "Protocol/Diamond Shark" and "Protocol/Blood Spirit."

Do you handle "Protocol/Clan" as a separate, sort of "I know how the Clans work in general" skill, or do you use it as "This should say "Protocol/Sub-Affiliation" instead?

So you pick Invading Clans and Diamond Shark. You get "Protocol/Clan +25" and "Protocol/Diamond Shark +10." Do you count this as two skills, or one skill at 35?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Protocol/Clan
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2018, 00:22:35 »
Personally I'd have it Protocol/Clan where each particular Clan is a specialization of the skill to show that most Clans when it comes right down to it do most of the same things the same way.

So I'd treat it as Protocol/Clan +20 XP and +15 of 20 XP to specialize in Protocol/Clan-Diamond Shark.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2018, 02:06:35 »
Interesting take on it. I hadn't considered that.

I also find it sort of interesting that if Protocol/Clan and Protocol/Sub-Affiliation are supposedly to be separate skills, that they don't do the same for Interest/The Remembrance.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2018, 14:20:43 »
I'd probably treat those instances the same way.  Where Interest/Remembrance is the skill and the particular Clan is a specialization.

It is how I actually treat Survival too.  Survival doesn't actually have terrain specific sub skills as a lot of what helps you survive in one environment will help you survive in another so specific terrains are skill specializations instead of sub skills.

Register