Author Topic: Other musings on frequency  (Read 1048 times)

imperator

• Warrant Officer
Other musings on frequency
« on: 20 January 2018, 10:21:19 »
I started a thread on unlisted Mechs, but that got me thinking about some others?

1) How intensive is warfare in the 20's, 40's and then the 50's?  When does any unit considered itself in dire trouble and the commanders ordered retreat to save the unit?  Lets break it down to three situations: skirmish( accidental contact, hit and run), scout(info gathering and probing attack), and battle(important strategically, but only 1 fight in the plan). 

2) How common are SPAs in your games?  How many units(percentage  have them, do the units/pilots have multiple SPAs and to whom do you give them to?  Are they based on Experience( Only Regular or Veterans and above) or can anyone have them.  Can they be trained or are they inborn talents? 

Your thoughts and experiences.
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Other musings on frequency
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2018, 13:14:11 »
I started a thread on unlisted Mechs, but that got me thinking about some others?

1) How intensive is warfare in the 20's, 40's and then the 50's?  When does any unit considered itself in dire trouble and the commanders ordered retreat to save the unit?  Lets break it down to three situations: skirmish( accidental contact, hit and run), scout(info gathering and probing attack), and battle(important strategically, but only 1 fight in the plan). 

The 1987 Mercenary's Handbook is the definitive source on 3020's style warfare.  Basically, it confirms that warfare is highly ritualized and low intensity.  To the point that conflcits fought with mercs on both sides will often be largely bloodless affairs where the outmaneuvered recognizes defeat without forcing the battle to be fought out and having the predictable outcome "proven".  And it's not just the mercs that have strategic maneuvering determine the outcome of a campaign rather than who survives the actual shooting, the House forces largely fought that way too.  Even the notoriously bloodthirsty and battle-craving DCMS has an example of feeling they already won the campaign simply by maneuver and was offering surrender terms before a shot was even fired (A Battle of the Bulge inspired humorous sidebar in House Liao, pg32).

Of course the Inner Sphere's version of civilized warfare would forever be changed in 3050 with the Clans bringing an existential threat to the nature of warfare. This would then snowball into the total warfare paradigm of the Civil War and ultimately the Jihad before returning to "normal" in the Dark Age.
« Last Edit: 20 January 2018, 13:25:06 by Tai Dai Cultist »

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2018, 04:15:06 »
Ok, I can dig that.  Would the forced withdrawals rules simulate the new mindset  post 3050 or would the stand die paradigm we all grew up be what is used?  I'm thinking the later, cause of the way the clans fight, as far as I know. 

How about the frequency of SPAs?

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2018, 12:12:47 »
Merc Handbook stuff.

I think you may have focused too much on certain parts of the Handbook.  It is very specific as to the nature of warfare for Mercenaries, but not house units.  It specifically states that in major conflicts employers do their best to retain command rights due to Mercs acting like warfare is a game and not actually fighting it out.

As for what I suspect warfare is like in the early 20s, it's probably mostly raids.  This was the end portion of the third succession war, and the FedSuns and Lyrans were building up to their massive offensive in 3025.  Combat was low intensity and much of the industry was degraded.  In the late portion of this decade the fourth succession war took center stage, with massive levels of conflict along all borders, and especially along the Terran corridor.

40's: This was immediately post the war of 3039, and most nations were in a rebuilding phase (particularly the FedComs and Combine).  Combat was again likely mostly limited to raids, planetary assaults would have been pretty rare.

50's:  The early portion saw massive combat between the DC/FRR/FC and the clans, but after Tukayyid this decreased primarily to raids.  Towards the end of the decade the FWL and CC attack the central portion of the FC, creating the Chaos March (a virtual mercenary's paradise - pretty much any kind of conflict could happen here between mercs and upstart governments).  A year or two later the Inner Sphere takes it to the clans in Operations Serpent and Bulldog, eventually virtually annihilating the Jaguars.  Overall, most conflict during this period revolves around the clan borders with short heavier spurts appearing in the Terran corridor and around the CC.

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2018, 01:45:02 »
Anyone want to take a shot at the SPA ratio?  I'm bean thinking that 1/10th the Regulars have 1. 30% of Veterans have 1, with 1/3 of those  having 2-3. 50% of  Elite have 1, with 1/4 of them having 2+.  PCs and other main protagonist and antagonists add maybe 1-4 because of special training, special genetics, or badassery. Blood names would be in that Elite 1/4th.

Register