Author Topic: Talk to me about: the Stooping Hawk  (Read 9761 times)

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
Re: Talk to me about: the Stooping Hawk
« Reply #30 on: 01 March 2012, 08:56:32 »
All of the eras have an Inner Sphere-centric take on them. Jihad era just means that the design showed up sometime between 3067 and 3080 (or 3085, depending on if the Jihad Era gets extended)

I think the Jihad era will stay at 3067-3081. According to the bg.battletech.com eras page the Dark Ages are everything that happens 3081+

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #31 on: 01 March 2012, 09:58:46 »
Wouldn't the "Republic Era" be 3081+ ?

I thought Dark Ages wasn't till 3130

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #32 on: 01 March 2012, 10:38:03 »
Those are sub-eras of the overarching "Dark Age Era" with Republic 3081-3130 and Dark Age 3101+. Though for the purposes of the MUL, didn't they nudge the Jihad to 3085?

Oh, and yes, the Stooping Hawk. Nice omni. Hate going against it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #33 on: 01 March 2012, 15:53:44 »
The Stooping Hawk is easily one of my favorite Clan medium mechs.  The only thing I wish it had is an over the top beam-spam variant like the Black Hawk Prime, but the D isn't a bad config.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 01 March 2012, 21:16:49 »
I think the Jihad era will stay at 3067-3081. According to the bg.battletech.com eras page the Dark Ages are everything that happens 3081+

Cheers,
LCC

When I mentioned that on a couple of the record sheets the era was "Jihad" despite having a date on the MUL that fell into the Dark Ages/Republic Era, I was told that they were thinking about extending the Jihad date to 3085.

Slicer3025

• Corporal
« Reply #35 on: 29 June 2012, 03:41:05 »
The Diamond Sharks ought to have a sale of these things on the Black Market.

Sell them as if they're toting 275 XLE instead of SFE and they'll still sell like hotcakes since they're still so badass!!!

PROFIT!

oldfart3025

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 03 July 2012, 17:28:12 »

I'm a big fan of the Stooping Hawk. While not as popular as some other medium weight Onmis, such as the Stormcrow, it's a solid design with solid configurations.

The Prime is the most common in my playgroup, serving mostly as a medium trooper. The Alpha, Charlie, and Delta are run as multi-role flashbulb units.

The Bravo is something of an oddball in my group. Most missile boat Omnimech configurations are only played if the number of dedicated "Fire 'Mechs" are down to critical levels in a campaign. On the other hand. the Stooping Hawk Bravo sees considerable use in the fire support role. Not because it's necessarily the best Omnimech for the job. It just ended up that way. No big deal though, since it functions well in that particular job.

Just my two cents worth.
"That which I cannot crush with words alone, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!"~Lord Solar Macharius

lowrolling

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 21 July 2012, 14:55:02 »
All this talk of the Stooping Hawk "forced" me to go out and buy one. Pretty good $6.75 gaming purchase I would say.
May no one ever know less then me......

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #38 on: 21 July 2012, 19:01:51 »
I'll walk past most other medium Omnimechs to get to a Stooping Hawk, particularly if the A or C versions are available. Just a great Mech- durable to a fault, well-thought configs (mostly), utilizing the limited pod space well, and not suffering too badly on movement. A Stormcrow will eat one alive, but what Mech can claim to be a Stormcrow-killer really? Any other Clan medium Omni, a Stooping Hawk is a very tough opponent to deal with- they tend to laugh at body sections being shot off. Note the 'C' had the ability to keep throwing powerful laser fire even after losing both side torsos. Not many Mechs can claim that.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #39 on: 21 July 2012, 20:37:11 »
A Stormcrow will eat one alive, but what Mech can claim to be a Stormcrow-killer really?

Septicemia

To the patient go the spoils

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #40 on: 21 July 2012, 20:49:38 »
Yeah, a Pariah is one tough beast, and can eat a Stormcrow alive.  Unless the Stormcrow player really knows what he's doing and the Pariah player really doesn't know what he's doing. 

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #41 on: 21 July 2012, 21:10:04 »
Septicemia

Fair enough, I wasn't including the Society 'how ridiculously over-the-top can we make this thing?' Mechs. ;)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #42 on: 30 July 2012, 10:05:50 »
Fair enough, I wasn't including the Society 'how ridiculously over-the-top can we make this thing?' Mechs. ;)
Fine, the Pariah then. Keep the Nova CEWS.  :)
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!