Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - (Yes, seriously)  (Read 220682 times)

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - (Yes, seriously)
« Reply #30 on: 28 February 2011, 12:21:45 »
So we had a new ep friday.  Not my favorite of the series, although Sweetie Bell's VA has some talent.  Wouldnt be surprised if they work it into her talent at some future point. 

Did enjoy that entire table scene.
"...We were making a table?"

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
  • Your flank belongs to the Star League
« Reply #31 on: 28 February 2011, 16:13:11 »
You know, I get the feeling the pilot isn't the best place to start. Yeah, its pretty good, and makes a good introduction to the characters, but it's got this Sailor Moon vibe that the rest of the show really...doesnt. I think some of the later episodes are much stronger. Any suggestions on good ones to point the uninitiated to?

I took a look at that. Went to YouTube and endured about two minutes of an old My Little Pony animation. Endured being the operative word.
I salute you sir. I can barely tolerate the old show thumnails that show up in utoob's suggestion box.

As for this week's episode, can't say I was big on it either. It did have its moments, though. Fluttershy earned a badass level or two, and hopefully the CMC's will show her a bit more respect for saving them from becoming lawn gnomes.

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #32 on: 28 February 2011, 17:34:14 »
You know, I get the feeling the pilot isn't the best place to start. Yeah, its pretty good, and makes a good introduction to the characters, but it's got this Sailor Moon vibe that the rest of the show really...doesnt. I think some of the later episodes are much stronger. Any suggestions on good ones to point the uninitiated to?

Personally, I'd say "Bridle Gossip", "Fall Weather Friends", maybe "Applebuck Season" or "Dragonshy" (though the last one mostly for the climax). "Swarm of the Century" and "The Ticket Master" are also standout in my opinion.

I liked the recent episode. Not the best, certainly, but I did enjoy Fluttershy as the beleaguered babysitter. It also serves as further evidence of why Fluttershy is my number 2 favorite hot on the heels of Twilight.

**edit**
ooh, add "Sonic Rainboom" to the list. Rarity is annoying in it, but then she's supposed to be annoying in that episode.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2011, 21:15:20 by Prillotashekta »
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
-Charles Darwin

bsmart

• Private
« Reply #33 on: 28 February 2011, 17:34:39 »
So seriously, are a bunch of middle aged guys talking about watching My Little Pony? That's really where we're at right?

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #34 on: 28 February 2011, 20:55:38 »
So seriously, are a bunch of middle aged guys talking about watching My Little Pony? That's really where we're at right?

Yes, and this is the same group of middle-aged guys that share the pastime of having pretend battles with tiny shaped pieces of metal.
The preceding post has been Smart Wolf®-Approved for quality!

BattleTech and original art          Free hex map template!

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #35 on: 28 February 2011, 21:28:28 »

Yes, we are manly men! We can discuss My Little Pony without feeling self-conscious!
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #36 on: 28 February 2011, 21:31:16 »
Lauren Faust has been very outspoken that she created this show--marketed for girls, yes--specifically to be a smart, forward-thinking show not in the grain of the "drivel" that has dominated "girls' cartoons" for so long, specifically trying to be an antidote to the "endless tea parties and giggling at nothing" (her words) girl shows.
She has stated that she designed it to be watched and enjoyed not just for little kids, but their parents, too.
That includes male parents.
Many of whom are presumably mid-20s-to-middle-age.
So its no surprise its found a fanbase in that market group.

Also consider that it is beautifully animated in luscious detail, has better-than-average writing for a kid show, good voice-acting, well-rounded characters that avoid the "cookie-cutter" problems of shows past, and episode plotlines that are a far cry from "endless tea parties and giggling at nothing".
Yes, we are manly men! We can discuss My Little Pony without feeling self-conscious!
What he said.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
-Charles Darwin

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 01 March 2011, 09:15:58 »
Beyond the fact that Lauren Faust designed it so parents can watch it (and be entertained) too...Yeah, I dont really see a problem here.  (As wonderfully explained by Prillotashekta)

Yes. It's a girl based property.  Why should that matter if the show's genuinely entertaining?  It's not like your man parts are going to fall off or you'll be struck with the urge to wear dresses. Besides which, ponies are TOTALLY METAL
« Last Edit: 01 March 2011, 09:26:07 by Istal_Devalis »

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #38 on: 01 March 2011, 10:54:29 »
*looks at the links*
OK, Istal? I think it says something that you found(You did find them, right?) metal videos using the new MLP
for the video...
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 01 March 2011, 11:26:22 »
It says the series is very popular across a wide spectrum of individuals. :D  (It also says someone sent me the link to them, so I didnt find them by just browsing for Pony stuff on Youtube. I'm not THAT much an addict)  I could point out there's a ponibooro now too.  #P

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 02 March 2011, 09:36:11 »
New episode this Friday.
"After entering a talent competition, the Cutie Mark Crusaders believe the event will help them discover what they are meant to do for the rest of their lives, and they hope that winning the contest will help them to finally earn their cutie marks. "

Not been thrilled with the previous CMC eps, so I suspect this one will be kind of blase too.  But hey, maybe Sweetie Belle will get to sing gospel style, again.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #41 on: 02 March 2011, 10:12:19 »
Out of curiosity I watched the episode 'Dragonshy' on YouTube.  It was far from the worst thing I've ever seen on television, especially as a cartoon, and the plot was slightly less obvious than most WWE storylines, but MLP is still not something I'm going to be watching of my own volition.  I think that a recurring adversary/antagonist would improve the show.  Perhaps more dragons?

(The following is satirical.  Mostly.)

Speaking of dragons, that episode showed some distinctly speciesist leanings.

1) Dragons are not allowed to sleep in Equestria.  That's segregation.  It's not like anybody else was using that mountain top, so why shouldn't he live there?

2) When Flutter Shy finally went ballistic on the dragon it was because he pushed her friends around.  I feel he was totally justified in his actions.  How would you feel if your nap was interrupted, your home was invaded, and somebody kicked you in the snout?  I'd be pretty angry.  Flutter Shy totally ignored the dragon's right to security in his own home.

3) The dragon had no time to gather his hoard, nor did I see any evidence that he was carrying it with him when he flew away.  I doubt the ponies will allow him to come back to collect the hoard, so they are now in possession of ill-gotten gains.

4) Spike is a baby dragon forced to serve Twilight Sparkle as a scribe and pet-sitter.  Not only is he child slave labour, but he is being denied his dragon cultural heritage.  Where will he learn to pillage and hoard treasure, how to roast knights, or how to stalk and devour helpless, smaller creatures (particularly damsels).  Certainly not from his pony oppressors, I can tell you that.

Taken as a whole, the episode 'Dragonshy' shows dragons in the world of 'My Little Pony' to be a downtrodden and oppressed visible minority, forced to subsist on the edges of society or conform to the culture of their repressive masters.  Is this the sort of less that we want little girls to learn?  That it is okay to enslave others as long as they aren't 'cute'?
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 02 March 2011, 14:48:37 »
MLP.  Insidious, Anti DC propoganda? You be the judge.
You could also harp on how the Living God Queen Celestia made the peasants handle it. Obviously, they're espousing feudalism too. 

They do tend to use the 'horrible, evil monster' as a bad guy when they need an actual, physical threat. So far we've seen a chimera, a hydra, a cockatrice, and a kaiju sized bear.  But yes, no recurring baddie.  Maybe for season 2, as they've hinted they want to bring Night Mare Moon. (Rumors suggest the Great and Powerful Trixie)

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #43 on: 02 March 2011, 15:35:34 »
The lack of a recurring villain is, in my opinion, largely Hasbro's doing.
Faust implied that she did originally want to do the show as a series with a long-term plot.
Hasbro insisted on a format with stand-alone episodes.
As a result, we get these little slice-of-life segments and "villains" are reduced to the occasional monster.

-Charles Darwin

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 03 March 2011, 08:53:52 »
MLP.  Insidious, Anti DC propoganda? You be the judge.
You could also harp on how the Living God Queen Celestia made the peasants handle it. Obviously, they're espousing feudalism too. 
*laughs* Got linked to this posting elsewhere.  If you think GBScientist was being overly serious, you havent seen anything yet.

Solidarity is Illusion: The Political Economy of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

And for once, I'll actually recommend reading the comments.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2011, 09:01:06 by Istal_Devalis »

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #45 on: 03 March 2011, 12:23:08 »
Spectacular link!  Thanks for sharing!  I tend to agree with the idea presented in the comments that Cutie Marks enhance the talents of their bearers in the specified area, but without them the magical capabilities of unicorns are severely limited and pegasi are restricted to shepherding weather.

Still, I am left wondering how things would work out if the other sentient races of MLP:FiM, such as dragons, manticores, griffons, bears, and cockatrices, banded together to challenge the rule of ponies in general and Celestia in particular.

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #46 on: 03 March 2011, 15:36:40 »
*laughs* Got linked to this posting elsewhere.  If you think GBScientist was being overly serious, you havent seen anything yet.

Solidarity is Illusion: The Political Economy of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

And for once, I'll actually recommend reading the comments.

So they're Capellans.

Even down to having a supposedly omniscient overlord with an evil little sister.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #47 on: 03 March 2011, 17:46:36 »
Considering how much tv is altered from one country to the next... I now feel compelled to imagine MLP as it would be aired in various factions.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 04 March 2011, 13:19:49 »
Hmm. I'll bite.

The CC would emphasise the God Queen Celestia's wise rule over Equestria.  Under her benign leadership, every pony has been chosen for a path best suited for their skills and talents. 

The LC would focus on the Apple family farms and her smart work sense, while also showing how wise having a noble class, to run things, is.

The DC would be similar to the CC.  Obediance to the God Queen, but with more of a focus on loyalty for its own sake.

The FWL would showcase how the ponies, for all their differences, are made stronger because of said differences when they act together.

The FS....I got nothing.

The Canopians would showcase the fact its a feminine paradise.

The Clan warriors would scoff at the entertainment meant for the lower caste (while secretly watching when they think nobodies looking), especially since it's obvious Hell's Horses propoganda.  The Diamond Sharks would just see dollar signs from the merchandise.  The Scientists do, however, like how it shows evolution at work.  Obviously, the traits run in families, so someones controlling who mates with who.

Still, I am left wondering how things would work out if the other sentient races of MLP:FiM, such as dragons, manticores, griffons, bears, and cockatrices, banded together to challenge the rule of ponies in general and Celestia in particular.
Who's to say they havent in the past?  I think there's a reason they're all sequestered into one area of the world.  Ponyville is on the outskirts of pony society, so it makes sense they get the vestiges of wilder times.  But they dont have an immortal god protecting them. 

I like the idea that Luna used to be their patron, being the goddess of the night, but since she got exiled they lost their power.  Now that she's actually reconciled with her sister, maybe they'll reorganise?  The manticore, dragon, and sea serpent werent all that bad. 
« Last Edit: 04 March 2011, 13:23:29 by Istal_Devalis »

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #49 on: 04 March 2011, 16:44:51 »
The FS would focus on helping those in need, even if they're really not and don't want anything to do with you.

"Friendship! or ELSE!"

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 07 March 2011, 14:43:22 »
The FS would focus on helping those in need, even if they're really not and don't want anything to do with you.

"Friendship! or ELSE!"
Hence forth to be known as the Nanoha method.

In more show related news.  We have just found out Ponies actually raise pigs.  While the more mundane explanation is they're likely using them for lard and to feed carnivores, I get a perverse glee out of imagining Fluttershy secretly being a secret bacon-holic.

The actual ep was better then most CMC eps, but still kinda meh. 

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #51 on: 07 March 2011, 15:35:41 »
In one episode they had s'mores. So, either they use vegan marshamllows...

...or we now know what happens to ponies that disappear.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #52 on: 07 March 2011, 15:48:26 »
What do they feed Spike, if not meat?  They must have some socially acceptable way to feed obligate carnivores, like dragons.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #53 on: 07 March 2011, 16:03:18 »
Spectacular link!  Thanks for sharing!  I tend to agree with the idea presented in the comments that Cutie Marks enhance the talents of their bearers in the specified area, but without them the magical capabilities of unicorns are severely limited and pegasi are restricted to shepherding weather.

They would need a leader. A being of sharp intellect and the diversity to do so, and we all know who that being is. . . . Of course, it could only be Megatron from Robots in Disguise(Gigatron from Car Robots). Though his Calvin Coolidge ability to sleep, he would have enough rest to use all ten of his transformations to their full ability as he leads his forces of dragons, bears, and other mythical creatures to conquer the ponies as he do so to Gumby and other less prepared beings.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that one of those modes looks close enough to a griffin to disguise himself amongst their rare kind. But only in the end would the ponies realize that they were beat when he transformers into his bipedal robot mode to show two legs are better than four due to the wonder of opposable thumbs.

But only in the end would he be defeated as a flying shark would appear to stop him and send him back to the phantom zone.

And now here is a message about the true villains of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:Pinkie and the Brain.

"Friendship! or ELSE!"

So, the Suns' version would be mostly about Pinkie giving parties. I could see that.

In more show related news.  We have just found out Ponies actually raise pigs.  While the more mundane explanation is they're likely using them for lard and to feed carnivores, I get a perverse glee out of imagining Fluttershy secretly being a secret bacon-holic.

Well, they apparently have talking cows and mules in that world as well. But the ponies have to survive on more than just apples and varies grasses to have achieved that state of civilization. Then again, they also raise chickens for eggs probably. But in the grand scale of things, they are beings that have magic, so it probably doesn't matter.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #54 on: 07 March 2011, 16:04:29 »
What do they feed Spike, if not meat?  They must have some socially acceptable way to feed obligate carnivores, like dragons.

From a clip, I watched he eats anything that he can find that is edible for him which is apparently jewels.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 08 March 2011, 09:57:39 »
Spike can eat almost everything.  But his favorite food seems to be gemstones of various sorts.  I think they were cribbing from Asian dragons for him.  Maybe that's why he's so small? They're stunting his growth? :D

However, Spike's not the only pet we've seen.  Applejack's got her dog.  Pinky's got her pet alligator. Fluttershy was shown taking care of a couple ferrets.  Grain isnt going to cut it for them. 

Well, they apparently have talking cows and mules in that world as well. But the ponies have to survive on more than just apples and varies grasses to have achieved that state of civilization. Then again, they also raise chickens for eggs probably. But in the grand scale of things, they are beings that have magic, so it probably doesn't matter.
Grain cultivation IS the birth of civilization.  Things are made easier in that they can eat the stalks and stems too, as well as a variety of other leafy plants that we wouldnt touch.  Dont really need meat for that, although I'm sure cultivating some form of bean will help.  They do a LOT of baking. They need eggs for that, so it makes sense they have chickens. 

On a more grimdark note, if they're all as intelligent as the cows and donkey...well.  What does THAT say about pony culture?  Do they feed the disobediant to the carnivores?  The ponies have a zoo, what does THAT mean? 

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #56 on: 08 March 2011, 11:49:25 »
Sounds like a pony-ocracy, lead by an autocratic god-queen.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 14 March 2011, 10:21:46 »
Sounds like a pony-ocracy, lead by an autocratic god-queen.
Does it count as a theocracy if your ruler(s) really IS a goddess? :D

Anyways, we had a new episode Friday.  Rarity focused.
"That wasnt whining, that was complaining. If you really want whining..."
Rarity didnt start out anywhere near the top of my favorites list, but she keeps climbing up it.  It's the melodramatic way she has to do everything that does it, I think, combined with the fact she really is a NICE person at heart.  That's...completely not how that type of character usually is. Sure, she's vein, and this causes issues now and then, but you dont see her downgrading those around her for it either. 

Spike: We see his gemnovore tendencies in full for this one.  Also his crush in action.  Not QUITE sure if that could physically work out.  If Spike's anything like a DnD dragons though, they can successfully breed with anything. 

Things we learn this ep:
Equestrian jewels come precut and sorted in ways that'd make any geologist squirm and shout at the tv.  They still have enough value, from actions made in this and other eps, that the ease of mining for them is likely due to a lucky accident in Ponyville's location rather then a global standard.

There's at least one intelligent species not under Pony domination.  GRIMDARK: Obviously, they were driven underground to flee Celestia's iron hoofed tyranny.

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #58 on: 14 March 2011, 10:33:05 »
Ok confession time. 

When I gave it a chance I  watched five minutes and said no thankyou. But thn I got curious. Its a girls show, its not much to look at at first glance yet numerous men are 'addicted' to it and were commenting as such on the youTube comments. I had to know why.  If you hunt down an episode or two read the comments below. You will get a lot of comments along the lines of "I am a 30+ man, why am I hooked on this show?."

I got curious.

The two part pilot is a plot with a threat, pretty much like any other cartoon, and as I am not really into those cartoons anyway, the only animation in my collection is Ghost In The Shell , I was pretty much over. But I was curious and started watching the main series, and it worked it magic on me. My Little Pony : Friendship Is Magic is some of the best stuff to hit the TV in recent years, or in this case, hit YouTube. Hasbro wisely didn't interfere when YouTube episodes appeared and they quickly attracted a second target audience. Men aged 20-40.
This I believe is because the animation is fresh the characters likable rather than the cliche cartoon females which are either very prim and pristine or young and innocent. The six main cast ponies are young adult characters, equivalent 18-21 year olds. The child ponies are clearly different. They are not annoying, have lost plump kiddie toy imagery for something more cross genre, and lost the annoying voice overs too. What you get instead are imaginative plots boosted by the fact that the ponies are distinctly feminine but accessible to male viewers in a non sexual way. Meaning the plot lines are feminine which is workable in its own way, and original as the vast majority of cartoons are from a masculine perspective.

Believe me on this, initially I was reluctant because of what it was. But I rose above prejudice, and gave it its fair chance, and when that didnt work gave it a second chance on curiosity alone. Frankly I dont think the pilot is enough because it focuses on a threat rather than the six characters. Those six ponies, to know them is to love them, except Rainbow Dash who I find annoying, though mileage can vary, she is a favourite of others.

Put it is this way. Take one of the episode plots, a pony is making a party dress for all six ponies, they dont like the dresses so she remakes them, afterwards they have a fashion show. Oh and this episode involves a lot of singing too. Sounds as dire as Vorgon poetry doesnt it. Sound like you want to chew your leg off. However what if I told you that somehow they made the subject matter entertaining, to men; the singing enheartening, to men; the storyline and pacing watchable, to men. Are not not even a little curious as to how this is pulled off? Frankly I think its a work of genius, and I am not exagerrating. It is nothing remotely like content I would seek out, yet I am inclined to buy the DVD on release, which is a rare thing for someone not into animation per se.
Those who have not been subverted, be curious enough to wonder why this surprise series crosses so many culture boundaries and does it well, you will not regret it.

Twilight, Pinkie and Fluttershy for best pony, Rarity as runner up. Yes I chose four favourites, bite me.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 14 March 2011, 14:05:51 »
I will pass thankyou, it was better than expected but not for me. At least I tried it.
...But I was curious and started watching the main series, and it worked it magic on me. My Little Pony : Friendship Is Magic is some of the best stuff to hit the TV in recent years, or in this case, hit YouTube.
*Laughs*  Welcome to the brony herd. :D
You arent the first one to follow that particular pattern, I might add.

If I had to order them, it'd be something like: (And this is subject to change.  Every ep tends to shuffle the order a bit.  Rainbow Dash was near the top until the race ep and her shenanigans. Rarity used to be near the bottom, but she keeps climbing up the rankings)

Applejack
Fluttershy
Rarity
Twilight Sparkle
Rainbow Dash
Pinkie Pie