Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - (Yes, seriously)  (Read 219175 times)

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
  • Your flank belongs to the Star League
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - (Yes, seriously)
« Reply #60 on: 14 March 2011, 15:51:19 »
*Laughs*  Welcome to the brony herd. :D
You arent the first one to follow that particular pattern, I might add.
Indeed, it's the story of a thousand bronies. Though in my case it went:
-Pinkie Pie? WTF kind of name is Pinkie Pie!?
-Oh look, some friend has ponies on their facebook. An amusing picture...
-...wait, there's a thread on CBT.com? Okay, this is worth checking out...
-Hmm, that's not too bad.
-...Maybe I should watch another...
-OH PINKIE PIE YOU'RE SO RANDOM

Speaking of which, happy Pinkie Pi day! :D

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #61 on: 14 March 2011, 19:40:29 »
One friend condemned me as a plague carrier for spreading the "infection" of MLP to everyone, and then admitted she had to go share it with her friends now, too.  :D

Also, why isn't Zecora on anyone's list? She is a zebra, and she rhymes!
The preceding post has been Smart Wolf®-Approved for quality!

BattleTech and original art          Free hex map template!

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #62 on: 14 March 2011, 20:23:12 »
Have they explained why there are no male ponies yet?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #63 on: 14 March 2011, 20:43:25 »
There are male ponies. Big Macintosh, Caramel, Madden, Hoity Toity, Snips and Snails to name a few.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #64 on: 14 March 2011, 20:45:28 »
There are male ponies. Big Macintosh, Caramel, Madden, Hoity Toity, Snips and Snails to name a few.

Oh! That is different from previous incarnations.

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #65 on: 14 March 2011, 20:59:16 »
Have they explained why there are no male ponies yet?

In one episode, there was a male pony with a 5 o'clock shadow.  :D

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #66 on: 14 March 2011, 21:17:31 »
The Wonderbolts are also male quiaff?
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #67 on: 14 March 2011, 21:29:13 »
The Wonderbolts are also male quiaff?
Around half. You can tell by the muzzle shape, the males are more squareish.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #68 on: 15 March 2011, 08:49:15 »
The various royal guards we've seen have been male too.
Females are still the majority of the population, but they dont ignore the males this time around.

maddyfish

• Corporal
« Reply #69 on: 15 March 2011, 09:16:09 »
Just as some poeple would think our type of stuff is silly, some have called my little pony silly, but both of my daughters enjoyed the old series, and the toys. A quality version of it seems ok to me.
Have Wasp, will travel

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 15 March 2011, 09:20:14 »
Just as some poeple would think our type of stuff is silly, some have called my little pony silly, but both of my daughters enjoyed the old series, and the toys. A quality version of it seems ok to me.

*looks left, looks right* Um....I liked the original My Little Pony, too....Though, I wish someone would have offed that little space (lady of
ill repute) Rainbow Brite...Darn it! It was My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, GI Joe, Transformers every afternoon!

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #71 on: 15 March 2011, 14:52:04 »

And of course, the male equivalent of Derpy Hooves: the Doctor Pony. It's mostly because the character design looks slightly like the Tenth Doctor, David Tennet, plus the symbol of a hourglass. Both are background characters at best, but one is depicted by the fandom as the greatest moron or genius in the show. And the other one is obviously a Time Lord Pony.

*looks left, looks right* Um....I liked the original My Little Pony, too....Though, I wish someone would have offed that little space (lady of
ill repute) Rainbow Brite...Darn it! It was My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, GI Joe, Transformers every afternoon!

I'll admit that I probably watched every toy cartoon back in the day except for a few. But I often feel sorry that none of the local stations in Houston TX back when I was a kid licensed the syndicated Galaxy Rangers show.

However, I will say that I never watched the My Little Pony actually cartoon due to the fact that it came on when I went out to the bus stop as a wee elementary school lad. Plus when I was off from school on mornings, Bozo was on, and I loved the Grand Prize Game. The one thing that I always wanted to do as a child other than go to Walt Disney World was go to Chicago to be on the Bozo the Clown show to get that hundred dollar bill in the sixth bucket. Oddly enough, Bozo was the only clown that I was never afraid of for some odd reason as a child. Must have been the greedy desires in me for a chance at that hundred dollars.

Though I did see some of the original specials of My Little Pony, and of course, Disney Channel use to play the movie a little too often for my tastes.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #72 on: 15 March 2011, 17:59:10 »
And of course, the male equivalent of Derpy Hooves: the Doctor Pony. It's mostly because the character design looks slightly like the Tenth Doctor, David Tennet, plus the symbol of a hourglass. Both are background characters at best, but one is depicted by the fandom as the greatest moron or genius in the show. And the other one is obviously a Time Lord Pony.
[snip]

I saw some images doing a Google search that refered to the Doctor Pony as 'Doctor Whooves'.  I cackled at the terrible pun.
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 17 March 2011, 10:55:55 »
New episode alert for Friday
Green Isn't Your Color
"When Rarity gets to meet a famous fashion designer, she realizes that this is her chance to promote the dresses that she's been designing, but her idea backfires when the designer is more interested in Fluttershy, whom Rarity chose to model her dresses. "

*cheers for more Rarity*
*cheers for more Flutteryshy*

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #74 on: 19 March 2011, 10:45:03 »
Look what I found:

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #75 on: 19 March 2011, 14:28:38 »
Look what I found:
Must...resist...urge to dump pony folder...

But yeah, picture speaks truth.

This weeks episode was win. Pinkie stole the show with her reality-warping skills, now 20% creepier.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 21 March 2011, 10:23:12 »
You shall be a pony fan...FOREVER
Yeah, let's not turn this into an image thread.  Otherwise we could be here all day. (and have the mods yell at us)

Rarity is a fairly decent role model in a lot of ways.  Even though she's INSANELY jealous of her friend, she still tries to support her the best she can. 

Flutteryshy.  Looks like the softspoken loudness is going to be an ongoing gag with her.

Spike.  You're hitting creepy levels of devotion there, little dragon dude.

Pinkie Pie.  Wow.  Just...wow.  Thats almost stalkerish levels of WTH, there. I'd hate to get on her bad side.

Other comments: I've had to resist the urge to shout 'VE GO!' when leaving, now. :)  There was an absurd amount of background detail and animation that went into that spa scene.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2011, 10:25:06 by Istal_Devalis »

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 25 March 2011, 10:36:40 »
It's official. We're getting a 2nd season!  [rockon]

And I'm sure you're aware, but we have a new ep today, too. 
"Over a Barrel"
The ponies mediate a land dispute between the Apple-loosans and a herd of buffalo. 

I still cant get over just how BAD a pun that is.

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
« Reply #78 on: 28 March 2011, 10:47:18 »
Rarity is a fairly decent role model in a lot of ways.  Even though she's INSANELY jealous of her friend, she still tries to support her the best she can.

Even though she's not my favorite character, there's a lot about Rarity that I really enjoy.

As a kid, the fashionista of any group was usually the one I liked least--or found outright annoying. But Faust has done something really clever by making Rarity a designer, instead of a consumer. That puts her in an active role, not a passive one. And she's got a successful business doing what she loves, rather than being a "starving artist." I think those aspects also make her a good role model for kids.

It's official. We're getting a 2nd season!  [rockon]

Yes!  ;D

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #79 on: 28 March 2011, 17:28:17 »
So in Friday's episode, the downtrodden natives of the West fight off pony encroachment. A naked land grab of Buffalo territory with no attempt to redress the Buffaloes grievances.  Obviously, the tyranny of Celestia's realm is spreading to previously uninfected lands.

More seriously, I still love the fact it's Pinky's song and Dance number that proved the final straw. Twice.

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #80 on: 01 April 2011, 22:44:45 »
No new episode this week :(

Apparently to compensate, the inernets went full pony. No less than ten unrelated websites embraced some level of ponydom, from forum reskins to fake game updates to pony-ized webcomic pages, to a freaking ten-minute parody redub of the first episode.

Which was epic and will now be linked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nv8gZ8jGAA

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #81 on: 02 April 2011, 00:59:00 »
Ok, stumbled across this, and had to share:
The Dragon Your Man Could Smell Like
I don't go out looking for this stuff, I swear.  Cross-my-heart-hope-to-fly-stick-a-cupcake-in-my-eye, I don't.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
-Charles Darwin

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #82 on: 03 April 2011, 18:32:18 »
Which was epic and will now be linked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nv8gZ8jGAA
Saw that one. It was indeed awesome.

I love how he couldnt make fun of Fluttershy :D It's like kicking a kitten.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLeEBzf_x9Y

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 10 April 2011, 00:54:32 »
Another Friday, another new ep.

She's a goddess of the sun. What ELSE is she going to have as a pet?  Now we just need to get Luna something equally as impressive for a pet.  Maybe an Ursa Minor?

Also, Flutteryshy remains adorable.  How can one pony be so adorable?

In other news, there's a (relatively) new Super Ponybeat mix out. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FGmgVu9Nz0

balom

• Recruit
« Reply #84 on: 09 July 2011, 15:13:09 »
   Just finished reading a prety damn good fanfic crossover of MLP and Battletech. And it's nearly novel lenght  :D [notworthy]

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/07/story-thessalonica-legacy.html#commentsca
« Last Edit: 09 July 2011, 15:17:57 by balom »

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #85 on: 09 July 2011, 15:31:09 »
I've watched a couple episodes out of curiosity, and I don't get what the big deal is.  It's just another cartoon.  I haven't seen anything yet to set it apart from the rest.  It's certainly no Justice League, that's for sure.

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #86 on: 09 July 2011, 17:03:06 »
   Just finished reading a prety damn good fanfic crossover of MLP and Battletech. And it's nearly novel lenght  :D [notworthy]

Aah! Thread necromancy! Run for your lives!

Well, fancy that. 
You know, with a little digging, we could very likely find the author lurking here and tease ostracize love and tolerate him. 
(if you check the author's notes, it's stated that it actually is on par for length with a fantasy/sci-fi novel)
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
-Charles Darwin

Dave Talley

• Major
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #88 on: 09 July 2011, 20:33:20 »
I've watched a couple episodes out of curiosity, and I don't get what the big deal is.  It's just another cartoon.  I haven't seen anything yet to set it apart from the rest.  It's certainly no Justice League, that's for sure.

Most things aren't. I still remember the heyday of 2005 and the trio of episodes where Superman beat up someone with Captain in their name. Those were the days.

But as for what the fuss over them ponies, I'd say that MLP:FIM is better than an average show. Still not in my favorite show ever category, but what makes it probably endure is that it has snappy writing and there are honestly low expectations for it. My Little Pony was the low tier of Hasbro's properties. Looking at some of the other programs that were created by Sunbow for Hasbro, it's pretty obvious that the original My Little Pony was low on the development scale than even Jem. Though it was probably higher than Inhumanoids which since it was so low got away with a lot of things. I mean really it's H.P. Lovecraft the toy. But My Little Pony was never suppose to be good.

With Transformers, it would be like twenty years of Transformers Energon. What made this iteration of My Little Pony tolerable to even enjoyable is that Lauren Faust who created this version gave it some whimsy and an almost Looney Toons atmosphere while telling an actual story as oppose to the typical drivel that most My Little Pony shows are. Are most of the fans a bit zealous about it? Yeah, they are, but why they became zealous about it is an unknown quality to me that I wish that I could distill and sell. From the amount of fan material that they have created is a bit abnormal for a such new program as well to the oddest of who most of the alternative audience is, I might be able to get out of the hole that my life has become.

For now, My Litttle Pony really has a demographic that Hasbro, the Hub, nor anyone ever predicted would be a factor in its success. And that is slightly remarkable from a marketing standpoint that Hasbro is actually going to attempt to tap it. The usually response is retooling and trying to drive away such an unknown factor. Toonami on Cartoon Network for awhile attempted to cater to an older audience when their target demographic was 6-13 males, but by trying to make the best action block possible, they attracted a demographic that their commercials weren't targeting. In television, that's not a good thing usually. However, the commercials changed for awhile around 1999- 2000 to reflect both the main and the older audiences of 18-34 year olds. And then the rearrangement of TimeWarner after the merger of AOL and the appointment of Jamie Kellner over the Turner division destroyed that fabled age. Toonami was never the same. Sadly.

Honestly, I'm more amazed by the alternative audience than anything.

Honestly, that wasn't bad. Though it read like Far County more than anything at first. I'd probably have the plant change to a more Blakest style personality and not mention the Master what so ever since I'm not convinced the general Blakest knew that the Master existed even in 3068.

apparent;y clinton is a fan too

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/25/137386121/bill-clinton-plays-not-my-job

I wouldn't say he was a fan, but it might be that he was able to feel out that the right answer. Some of those other answers were plain dumb. Krastos the Glue Maker was such a plant answer that it isn't even funny.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #89 on: 09 July 2011, 21:41:44 »
I also read that crossover story, and I enjoyed it.  I would like the author to write a sequel where the main characters get stuck in the middle of the WoB Jihad, but I'm also kind of sadistic to cutesy characters.
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Register