Author Topic: Interstellar Operations Open Beta Test: Solar System Generation: Errata  (Read 13396 times)

Precentor Martial

• Managing Developer
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Master Sergeant
The following thread is for errata as found in the Interstellar Operations Open Beta Test: Solar System Generation PDF.

Please note, you MUST follow the errata format as described in this thread. Specifically, this thread is NOT for discussion...use the "Discussion" thread for that work.

« Last Edit: 02 November 2012, 12:02:11 by Precentor Martial »

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
PDF, Open Beta Rules
Page 4, Solar System Generation

Stellar Subtype rules state "To generate the 0 to 9 subtype, roll 1D6 and refer to the
Subtype column of the Primary Generation Table," However Stellar Subtype chart values only list 0 to 8.
Either 9 needs a value or text needs to reflect 0 to 8
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Frabby

• Major
PDF, open beta, p. 6, right column - "Step 3: Filling Orbital Slots", First bullet (Asteroids)

Factual error: The Oort Cloud is not a belt, and it's even highly arguable whether it can be described as asteroids. And it definitely doesn't occupy an orbital slot - its very nature is being a cloud of matter outside of the accretion disk and outside of the orbits. In a sense, it's not even part of the system anymore.

Suggested fix: Remove Oort Cloud from named examples. Or remove examples entirely, as the text already explains the matter well enough. The asteroid belt in our own system is generally known as The Asteroid Belt so it isn't a very good candidate.
« Last Edit: 02 November 2012, 14:30:52 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Hey, folks. I'm primarily responsible for any debacles or shortcomings you find in this set of rules. However, if you want to provide meaningful errata, please adhere to the following guidelines (in addition to what Randall said):

1) If you don't like something, please provide a suggested fix. The more that suggested fix appears to consider the impact of your change an the entire document, the more likely is its adoption.

2) If your overall dislike of the system and colony generation rules is that they're too complicated, please refer to the "quick start" system generation rules in the ATOW:Companion.

3) Before calling something an errata, please raise the issue in the discussion thread. There's methods to my madness. They might not be good methods and need errataing, but other times not.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
Reporting to the errata tread as asked!  O0   

pg. 25 when explaining how to work the modifiers:
Modifiers are cumulative; a colony of 100,000 would apply both +1 for a population of under 100 million and +1 for under 100,000.
If I read the tables correctly, that final modifier should be for under 1 million, not under 100,000.
Hope it helps!

Thank You
       - Shane

It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
More stuff as asked.

Pg. 11 very top of right hand column of text - Terrestrial Planets: - is not in bold text like the other headings.

Thank You
   - Shane
My teeth acquire stains

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
More little things.

pg. 20 under "Realistic Planetary Placement" - Asteroid Belts: - is not bolded.
Pg. 26 under "Industrial Development" 2nd paragraph down - "production of medium lasers and BattleMech chasses is not indicative...." should be chassis (plural is same as singular)
pg. 31 top of left column 2nd paragraph - Dictatorship: - is not bolded

Thank You
   - Shane
My teeth acquire stains

kato

• Captain
page 3, Star Chart legend, "Habitability Modifier":

"If the entry is 'not hab.' (not habitable) that means the star will not support naturally habitable planets."

This entry does not occur in the given star chart on page 2/3.

Presumably this entry was supposed to occur in those columns where an entry of less than -3, i.e. with a zero chance of possessing habitable planets is given.
« Last Edit: 06 November 2012, 09:12:57 by kato »

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
"If the entry is 'not hab.' (not habitable) that means the star will not support naturally habitable planets."

This entry does not occur in the given star chart on page 2/3.

Oops. The table was changed from having a lot of "not habitable" entries to very high penalties for habitability. The text didn't get a matching change. Good catch.

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
This errata is a nitpick, but still:

PDF, Open Beta Rules
Page 6, Orbital Placement example

Chuck notes from the Primary Stats Table that the star’s life
zone ranges from about 220 to 446 million kilometers. Since an
AU is (approximately) 150 million kilometers, that means the
range is 1.47 to 2.97AU. Orbits 3 and 4 are inside the life zone.

The chart on Page 3 says the distances for life zones are 1.48 to 3 AU.

Yeah its nitpicky, but chances are we could have orbital slots get shafted out of habitability just because of a decimal point value.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Frabby

• Major
Repeated here as requested:

"All the Pretty Colors", left column, 3rd line from below: Tau Ceti (New Earth in BattleTech) - Not every reader might immediately understand this. To clarify, I suggest to write it Tau Ceti (aka "New Earth" in BattleTech) instead. Btw I think New Earth applies only to the planet, and the sun is still technically named Tau Ceti in BattleTech.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

kato

• Captain
page 5, "All the Pretty Colors":

"BattleTech has mostly overlooked a third element of stellar
classification, a Roman numeral that describes the size of a
star (and, roughly, its stage in the stellar lifecycle). [...] These Roman numerals
range from VI (sub-dwarf ) to V (main sequence dwarf ), with
IV, III, and II referring to increasingly large giant stars. Classes
Ia and Ib refer to super giant stars."

Should be: "range from I (supergiant) to V (main sequence dwarfs)" (see also below).

"Classes Ia and Ib refer to super giant stars. (Outside the scope of
these rules is the VII luminosity class, which only applies
to the white dwarf stellar class.)"

Should be: "The Roman numeral I refers to super giant stars." or sentence should be reworked completely to adress other star classes as well.

Unlike its use in Explorer Corps the a/ab/b latin letter disambiguation of the class actually applies to all stellar classes in the Morgan-Keenan system. Use of the stellar class "VII" to denote white dwarfs is nominally correct but uncommon; instead the prescript wD (for white Dwarf) is used. The same applies to stellar class "VI", which is usually denoted with the prescript sd/esd (sub dwarf / extreme sub dwarf). Since both classes are outside the scope of the rules presented this should be noted here.

Suggestion: Possibly include a modified Hertzsprung-Russell diagram in final art for this section.

Arthinas

• Corporal
Page 30, "Detailed Government Table":

Theocracy is listed twice in a row under Autocracy/Oligarchy.

silverback

• Corporal
                         Interstellar ops, PDF, open beta

First pass copy edit, for grammar and  internal consistency.  External references to other rulebooks NOT checked.

1.   On page 7, first paragraph "Gliese 581c and 581D" should be "Gliese 581c and 581d" to be consistent with other referenced systems.

2.   On page 19, High Axial Tilts: first paragraph, first sentence:  "guidelineshave" is run together.

3.   On page 19, High Axial Tilts: second paragraph, first sentence:  "planets" should be "plants".

4.   On page 22, left column, third paragraph: "flying mound gravel" should be "flying mounds of gravel".

5.   On page 23, right column, fourth paragraph, third sentence:  "1-5  20 million x 4D6". 
                                                           Table says: "1-5  50 million x 4D6"

6.   On page 27, right column, first paragraph, second sentence: "The score starts at B"
                                                          Table says:  "C".

7.   On page 27, right column, sixth paragraph, second sentence: "The score starts at B"
                                                          Table says:  "C".
      Note to 6 and 7:  The example on page 29 matches the table values, not the text.

8.   On page 31, left column, second paragraph:  "Dictatorship" should be bold, to match other type headers.

9.   On page 32, right column, second paragraph: "Hyper-Pulse Generators" should be bold, to match "Recharge
      Stations" on page 33.

robert "silverback" crowe

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Open Beta PDF
Page 2, in the Luminosity and Radius Ratios to Sol the G2V are not 1.00, for Radius the difference is not that much and can be allowed for Sol being a bit small, but the Luminosity is huge, at the least a note should be added to explain

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Open Beta PDF
Page 2, in the Luminosity and Radius Ratios to Sol the G2V are not 1.00, for Radius the difference is not that much and can be allowed for Sol being a bit small, but the Luminosity is huge, at the least a note should be added to explain

As discussed under "All the Pretty Colors" of the .pdf, there's variations even in specific stellar classes. For example, Alpha Centauri A is a G2V star with 151.9% the luminosity of Sol, 110% of Sol's mass, and has 123% of Sol's radius.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
As stated by people higher than I, this thread is locked.
Thank you for your input.  [copper]

Register