Author Topic: Your Favorite Unresolved Mystery that is probably destined to stay that way  (Read 37765 times)

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
The Deep 13 facility, run by Precentor Forrester?

You're behind the times, quiaff? Now it's Moonbase 13, run by Primus Forrester and her aide, Max... I mean Demi-Precentor TV's Son of TV's Frank :)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
This is the one I was thinking of. I mixed up ComStar's HQ with the old Star League capital, both on Terra.

Well that I know nothing about. Probably not important, just the ramblings of a madwoman. Go about your business, citizen.

Edit: But your mistake did bait me into revealing "secrets," so good job! :D
« Last Edit: 18 April 2017, 12:17:41 by ColBosch »
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
Yes, Pardeau mentions digs/secrets under Unity city, Fortress Dieron, the Imperial City on Luthien, and the basement of every world's HPG basement but not Hilton Head specifically (though you could make a case for it in the latter, just Hilton Head having more explosive secrets by sheer dint of being the center of the HPG network).

Thanks, that clears it up!

This is the one I was thinking of. I mixed up ComStar's HQ with the old Star League capital, both on Terra.

Looks like that spawned quite a response, though...

Well that I know nothing about. Probably not important, just the ramblings of a madwoman. Go about your business, citizen.

[run away]

Kazashi

• Private
You're on the right track!

Oh goody, the only thing I was sure of about the Jihad is that there's a good chance Belle Lee crash lands in my 1,000 year old vegetable patch as part of Task Force MALLET  8)

Time to read the books again!

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
What happened to Joanna, Horse and Peri Watson?
How did they meet their fate/end?
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
What happened to Joanna, Horse and Peri Watson?
How did they meet their fate/end?

Didn't Peri vanish while investigating the Scientist conspiracy? We might not know the specifics, but her fate seems pretty obvious.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
Vanish, or vanish...?  Maybe there's a cadre of two hundred year old Falcons still roaming the homeworlds, kept alive like cyborgs by Peri and captured Society tech, terrorizing Adders with their mighty Falcon cries.

That said, I think it was implied they died in the traditional manner as solahma infantry, as befit their advanced age.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
I was kicking around the idea of writing a BattleCorps story about Joanna's death...

...in bed, peacefully, of old age. Which really pissed her off.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
I was kicking around the idea of writing a BattleCorps story about Joanna's death...

Somehow i can see her cursing Aidan, Peri, Diana, Horse and, most of all, Nomad for that.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy

I *really* wouldn´t want to be the Grim Reaper coming to collect her soul.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
I *really* wouldn´t want to be the Grim Reaper coming to collect her soul.

*Joanna is poked with a stick*
*stick gets broken in half*
I THINK I HAVE WAITED LONG ENOUGH
"Wait more, if you fear me still."
SEE YOU NEXT YEAR

The solution is just ignore Paul.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
SEE YOU NEXT YEAR

YOU CAN'T ACTUALLY CAUSE ME PAIN, YOU KNOW.
"Not going to stop me from trying!"

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
SEE YOU NEXT YEAR

YOU CAN'T ACTUALLY CAUSE ME PAIN, YOU KNOW.
"Not going to stop me from trying!"

HONESTLY, I THINK YOU MIGHT BE GRANNY WEATHERWAX RE-INCARNATED
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Here's one of my favorite mysteries: Which damn book is the adventures of the Red Coarsair even remotely covered in? I have the old Steiner House Book and the new one, and I can't even find lip service to the Red Corsair.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Here's one of my favorite mysteries: Which damn book is the adventures of the Red Coarsair even remotely covered in? I have the old Steiner House Book and the new one, and I can't even find lip service to the Red Corsair.

She got a full novel of her own (I can't remember the title off the top of my head, MAYBE was Natural Selection?), and a turning points PDF that gives you her Battlemaster's stats and a full rundown of her adventures.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Well, the second one that was actually a Jade Falcon.  I think Stackpole did a short story on Katrina Steiner's time as the Red Corsair for the 25 Year anniversary book, but I didn't get a copy, so I can't say any more than that.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

elf25s

• Major
ok one thing and it will never ever be solved or fixed or revamped...economics in BTU
the discussions and fights on that subject are as epic as the campaigns
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
ok one thing and it will never ever be solved or fixed or revamped...economics in BTU
the discussions and fights on that subject are as epic as the campaigns

Might as well argue over the value of Woolongs or Browncoat Scrips considering it's all equally pointless.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Yeah, that's a tiresome old argument that's not worth rehashing. It cannot be "fixed," it will not be "fixed," and even attempting to"fix" it would be a ton of work to no benefit for the game line.

Also, this thread - as has been stated a couple times now - is for mysteries, not complaining about things you don't like.

elf25s

• Major
Yeah, that's a tiresome old argument that's not worth rehashing. It cannot be "fixed," it will not be "fixed," and even attempting to"fix" it would be a ton of work to no benefit for the game line.

Also, this thread - as has been stated a couple times now - is for mysteries, not complaining about things you don't like.
yet it works somehow and it is a mystery why.....
so i chuck it up to one of these unslovable mysteries of btu
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
And with that said, let's move right along...

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Here are some more:

1) How did Wolf's Dragoons (the leaders, at least) get from Free Worlds League space into the Deep Periphery, meet with their Khan, pick up reinforcements, and return to start their Lyran contract in just four months?  A jump-recharge-jump path wouldn't even get them out of Lyran space in that timeframe.  Did the Clan INTELSER set up a command circuit linking uninhabited systems all the way into League space?

2) Was Marcos Shake's amnesia and features identical to Thomas Marik a result of a failed first attempt to create a stand-in for the blown-up Captain-General designate?

3) Was "Emperor Amaris" from Star Lord covertly backed by the Word of Blake as a dry run for the Jihad?
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Frabby

• Major
3) Was "Emperor Amaris" from Star Lord covertly backed by the Word of Blake as a dry run for the Jihad?
See Sarna entry: He was a (former) ComStar archivist, and it was noted that the circumstances that led to him assuming the role of Amaris were unusual. His position allowed him to discover his ancestry, and there were some bank accounts allegedly going back to the original Amaris. Nothing was explicitly spelled out, but the impression given was that Mr. Richard Thurston-Moray was a puppet with someone within ComStar holding his strings.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
The truth about Star Lord is probably lost, and perhaps for the best, but almost certainly its author didn't have the slightest idea about the coming Jihad when he wrote it, so from the stand point of authorial intent I'd say that no, "Amaris" had no WoB connections.

As a retcon... its widely speculated that the WoB had some Wolverine roots, which would have likely made them very (violently?) anti-Amaris.  If this person really had Amaris blood, is it likely they'd have provided him with information and access to material to build up a secret army, or just disappeared him?  I suppose its possible that sending him on a mission to reestablish the Amaris Empire was a suicide mission, and they were prepared to leverage his distasteful background to sow chaos.  Were that the case, though, I suspect they'd have provided him even more resources, and kept the FWL off the track more effectively (granted, the FWL didn't use SAFE, which may have helped since the ridiculous group of irregulars they did use were harder for ROM to compromise).  The actual attempt had some scarcely belivable early success (the sort that makes you think it might have been WoB backed) but then the whole thing turned out to be pretty pathetic. 
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
The weird thing is that the author of the Periphery Sourcebook, in the introduction, attests that her searches in the archives of ComStar revealed that she, too, was a descendant of Stefan Amaris. 

So...was she the mother of Richard Thurston-Moray, or is there a practical joker who set up a data retrieval routine in the master computer that has a pop-up window announce "Congratulations!  You are a descendant of Stefan Amaris!"
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Followed, of course, by the traditional "Just send your personal information to [this not at all shady address] to claim the billions you've inherited!"

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
Followed, of course, by the traditional "Just send your personal information to [this not at all shady address] to claim the billions you've inherited!"

Are "I am a descendant on Stefan Amaris. If you help me reclaim my fortune, I will let you have part of it." messages the 31st century version of the Nigerian 419 scam?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
"You've got mail!"

*Malvina Hazen checks her messages, head explodes*

+Crow T. Robot+

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
*Malvina Hazen checks her messages, head explodes*

The spammer's head, I imagine. Due to being hit by a Shrike foot.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
The spammer's head, I imagine. Due to being hit by a Shrike foot.

Paul

No, it was a Nightlord. That's what really happened to the Emerald Talon, Malvina found a nest of spammers.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.