Author Topic: Ad Securitas Per Unitas: The Republic of the Sphere  (Read 125757 times)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
Re: Ad Securitas Per Unitas: The Republic of the Sphere
« Reply #30 on: 27 May 2013, 18:37:20 »
I'm just wondering what will become of the remnant once the fortress comes down...

That's assuming the Remnant survives until the wall comes down - they're getting smaller and smaller, surrounded by enemies on all sides

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #31 on: 27 May 2013, 20:31:55 »
That's assuming the Remnant survives until the wall comes down - they're getting smaller and smaller, surrounded by enemies on all sides

A good point; it's really amazing they've made it this far. I've got to wonder how they're keeping supplied...

I think I need to get my Errant Force minis out for a game or too.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 27 May 2013, 20:35:49 »
Well, the Knights and Redburn set Callison up to be a major base/staging world for the Remnant in the year or so leading up the Wall coming down. So they might have gone to great expenses to prepeare their various worlds.

I do love the Errant Lance - mine are still going strong in the non-canon section.

TheLemons

• Corporal
« Reply #33 on: 28 May 2013, 04:16:46 »
Is anyone else chomping at the bit for this FM3145 to come out? So many questions....

Courtesy of HikageMaru

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
Re: The Republic of the Sphere
« Reply #34 on: 28 May 2013, 04:31:34 »
The funny thing is that for the span of the novels, the Paladins and Exarchs are descended from non-Terran dynasties.  That's what I always liked.  It wasn't TH Redux, but it's own thing.  A grab bag of idealists from Kuritans, to Free Worlders to Clanners.  A shame the whole thing hasn't worked out so well.

As there were no nobles under ComStar or Word of Blake rule on Terra, where should those local nobles have come from?

Well, the Knights and Redburn set Callison up to be a major base/staging world for the Remnant in the year or so leading up the Wall coming down. So they might have gone to great expenses to prepeare their various worlds.

I´ve always wondered about: why only Callison? It may have good jump routes to two merc hall planets, but that would need the ability to hire said mercs. also, as I see it, you can´t really rech other critical theater from there w/o circumventing the fortress. Any ideas on that?
it´s not necessarily that i´m immoral of character, i just don´t take great stock in the morality of others, that´s all

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #35 on: 28 May 2013, 08:01:12 »
As there were no nobles under ComStar or Word of Blake rule on Terra, where should those local nobles have come from?

There's always someone waiting in the wings.  Maybe not TH era Camerons or Kerenskys, but i'd wager still powerful families with connections within the existing Terran political system.  Or, they could just be created like McKenna had done to reward political loyalty. 

I´ve always wondered about: why only Callison? It may have good jump routes to two merc hall planets, but that would need the ability to hire said mercs. also, as I see it, you can´t really rech other critical theater from there w/o circumventing the fortress. Any ideas on that?

Callison had a stockpile of equipment and a largely functioning militia at the time.  The head of the Callison militia had also been swapped for a Knight, allowing for a mostly clean overthrow of the anti-Republic government.  And if you are a holdout meant to go down swinging, it might be better to have something like Fortress Republic at your back to prevent envelopement.  At least that way you know more or less who is coming at you and from what direction.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 28 May 2013, 08:14:41 »
There's always someone waiting in the wings.  Maybe not TH era Camerons or Kerenskys, but i'd wager still powerful families with connections within the existing Terran political system.  Or, they could just be created like McKenna had done to reward political loyalty. 

Correct me if I´m wrong, but a big part of the deal to keep certain nobles in a republic where "Compulsion/Distrust nobles" was simply to keep an existing power structure availlabe (senat). So at the point, this looks like some kind of stop-gap solution to me.

Callison had a stockpile of equipment and a largely functioning militia at the time.  The head of the Callison militia had also been swapped for a Knight, allowing for a mostly clean overthrow of the anti-Republic government.  And if you are a holdout meant to go down swinging, it might be better to have something like Fortress Republic at your back to prevent envelopement.  At least that way you know more or less who is coming at you and from what direction.

Reread SyD. There were some age-old contingency plans laid down by Stone himself detailing how, what and where it should happen. But that was 15+ years ago.
I can easily envision someone preparing a kind of "outer ring" beforehand, but not one centered only on one planet, holding one side, which incidently is shared with one of the weakest successor state.
So why no prepared chain of worlds within acceptable jump ranges? Or at least poised against one of the successor states?
it´s not necessarily that i´m immoral of character, i just don´t take great stock in the morality of others, that´s all

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #37 on: 28 May 2013, 08:30:14 »
Correct me if I´m wrong, but a big part of the deal to keep certain nobles in a republic where "Compulsion/Distrust nobles" was simply to keep an existing power structure availlabe (senat). So at the point, this looks like some kind of stop-gap solution to me.

That was my point.  Stone could have called up some sort of Terran centric nobility.  He chose his allies from the Coalition, which were non-Terran.  Those choices are part fo what makes the Republic not the Terran Hegemony.

Reread SyD. There were some age-old contingency plans laid down by Stone himself detailing how, what and where it should happen. But that was 15+ years ago.
I can easily envision someone preparing a kind of "outer ring" beforehand, but not one centered only on one planet, holding one side, which incidently is shared with one of the weakest successor state.
So why no prepared chain of worlds within acceptable jump ranges? Or at least poised against one of the successor states?

But is the Remnant part of the plan, or just the last holdout of those forces abandoned as part of Fortress Republic?  Callison was targetted by Redburn's forces because it had equipment on it.  To get at it, they overthrew the governor, who was looking to turn on the Republic.  Call it a happy coincidence.  Callison was a functioning world with a functioning militia.  It makes sense as staging ground, not knowing the condition of the other Remnant worlds.

And I think you may be overestimating the power and effect of the Remnant forces.  A chain would be nice, but with limited resources and several enemies, just holding out is the primary objective.  Being sliced in half by the Wolves was likely not in the plan.  Stone's plans may or may not take into effect the survival of Republic worlds outside of Fortress Republic.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 28 May 2013, 10:28:37 »
I was under the impression that the nobles in question were the ones running the worlds in the outer Prefectures, rather than being on (or from) Terra itself. Many of those worlds had been run by local dynasties for centuries, recent fluctuations in ownership notwithstanding; in many cases, getting rid of them prematurely would have made reconstruction and integration that much more difficult to pull off.

Terra may have local noble rulers in the various Administative Districts (some of which being hereditary, such as in Japan), but it doesn't seem that the planetary government was exclusively held by one family over any other.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #39 on: 28 May 2013, 10:44:20 »
Yes, and the nobles showed up primarily in the Sentate.  I was talking about the Paladins, a group that was open to anyone for membership, provided they served first as a Knight of the Sphere.  But, throughout the novels the majority of Paladins are from IS dynasties, like the McKinnons, Sorrensons or Mariks.  Or, they are from clan leadership.  Without a complete list of every Paladin there ever was, I can't say they were exclussively non-Terran.  But, for a Terran centered nation, they have plenty of people in power who are themselves not Terran.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #40 on: 28 May 2013, 10:47:44 »
But, for a Terran centered nation, they have plenty of people in power who are themselves not Terran.

Which is the primary source of their troubles in the dark age period.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #41 on: 28 May 2013, 11:52:19 »
I'm not sure I agree completely.  While the Senate was known for being mostly house nobility, and certainly disruptive, there were plenty of non-Terrans in the Knights and Paladins keeping things together.

I would agree the Republic sought to rule too many non-Terran Hegemony populations.  Not all of them could be said to be loyal to the Republic.

I would agree the Senate, composed famously of former House nobles wanted to control the Republic's executive powers.

I would not agree that the Senate or the Knights/Paladins were as groups motivated by their Terran or non Terran heritage.  The exception that comes to mind, of course, is Thaddeus Marik using the crisis to move worlds back to the Free Worlds League.  I still don't think the majority of Senators or Paladins were looking to take Republic worlds back to their respective homelands.  Even within the micro faction noble leaders there is still some variance.  Jasek Kelswa-Steiner wanted to take Skye back to the LyrCom, but Gregory wanted it to stay Republic.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 28 May 2013, 14:55:25 »
I'm not sure I agree completely.  While the Senate was known for being mostly house nobility, and certainly disruptive, there were plenty of non-Terrans in the Knights and Paladins keeping things together.

I would agree the Republic sought to rule too many non-Terran Hegemony populations.  Not all of them could be said to be loyal to the Republic.

I would agree the Senate, composed famously of former House nobles wanted to control the Republic's executive powers.

I would not agree that the Senate or the Knights/Paladins were as groups motivated by their Terran or non Terran heritage.  The exception that comes to mind, of course, is Thaddeus Marik using the crisis to move worlds back to the Free Worlds League.  I still don't think the majority of Senators or Paladins were looking to take Republic worlds back to their respective homelands.  Even within the micro faction noble leaders there is still some variance.  Jasek Kelswa-Steiner wanted to take Skye back to the LyrCom, but Gregory wanted it to stay Republic.

Right now, I´d say it´s worldy vs faith.

There was that huge relocation act to erradicate former national bonds. Still, the former rulers of a planet stayed on planet and kept their militias. That´s neither fair to the common man who had to relocate, not has it helped anything with putting down nationalistic fealings, as it showed. Even stranger, it were those former nobles with house ties that started all the violence, even before the actual houses took part in the action.

As for the knights and especially the paladins, it´s almost a religious thing, it seems. The main merit they had to possess, it seems, is faith in Stone.

The actual function of the senate was never really flashed out. What do they do, considering that the higher echelons of power are military/faithful only?

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #43 on: 28 May 2013, 15:11:59 »
Right now, I´d say it´s worldy vs faith.

There was that huge relocation act to erradicate former national bonds. Still, the former rulers of a planet stayed on planet and kept their militias. That´s neither fair to the common man who had to relocate, not has it helped anything with putting down nationalistic fealings, as it showed. Even stranger, it were those former nobles with house ties that started all the violence, even before the actual houses took part in the action.

Was it a case of noble militias?  Stone had a peacekeeping force meant to take personal armies out of the Republic.  Duke Gregory Kelswa-Steiner had some foot guards, but that is hardly going to tilt the axis of the planet.  The ones who rebelled, at least in the cases of the Stormhammers, Swordsworn and Dragon's Fury were defectors from the RAF.  I'm not sure where the Standing Guard fit in.  I assume some went over as well.  The "militias" mentioned throughout the novels are or are not Standing Guard?

As for the knights and especially the paladins, it´s almost a religious thing, it seems. The main merit they had to possess, it seems, is faith in Stone.

That actually is not a bad way of putting it.  I have a more cynical view of the Paladins, knowing how deeply divided they were.  That brings to mind images of religious figures of the same faith but of very different oppossing philosophies gathered in a conclave.

But, the Paladins had the most at stake in the Republic's survival.  At the most basic level, they were invested with more power than anyone save the Exarch and the Ghost Paladin.  For them to keep faith with the Republic, and Stone's dream is no surprise.

The actual function of the senate was never really flashed out. What do they do, considering that the higher echelons of power are military/faithful only?

In ER3085 it makes it clear the Sentate are the ones that actually run the state.  The Knights and Paladins act as interventionalists from time to time.  But, the actual administration of the Republic was the duty of the Senate.  It was one of the things that bothered the Senate the most.  At the end of the day they could not oppose the will of the Paladins.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 28 May 2013, 20:25:24 »
Was it a case of noble militias?  Stone had a peacekeeping force meant to take personal armies out of the Republic.  Duke Gregory Kelswa-Steiner had some foot guards, but that is hardly going to tilt the axis of the planet.  The ones who rebelled, at least in the cases of the Stormhammers, Swordsworn and Dragon's Fury were defectors from the RAF.  I'm not sure where the Standing Guard fit in.  I assume some went over as well.  The "militias" mentioned throughout the novels are or are not Standing Guard?

there's stories of Paladins going out to forcibly put down revolts and remove mechs from mech owning nobles in the various fluff. Including the write up for the Atlas in TRO: 3085 thats sees Kelson Sorenson head out and destroy an entire lance of family owned mechs on Kervil after they refused to surrender their equipment.

Gregory Kelswa-Steiner was also a governor and a Prefecture Lord Governor - so his personal forces might have become inter-mixed with the Standing Guard and other various "federal" troops under his command.
Actually, this would be a good way to maintain your old equipment and troops left over from the Jihad - "donate it" to the Standing Guard or Prefecture-based troops that are under your command. As long as you're in a position of power you can ensure these Federal troops are loyal to you first.

The ones who rebelled, at least in the cases of the Stormhammers, Swordsworn and Dragon's Fury were defectors from the RAF.  I'm not sure where the Standing Guard fit in.  I assume some went over as well.  The "militias" mentioned throughout the novels are or are not Standing Guard?

so we know the Dragon's Fury's core group were built around Katana's independent raiding battalion. Looking through the dossiers there's a few militia/Standing Guard troops who defected.
Same with the Swordsworn - the Davion Guard unit were Sandoval's personal bodyguard that he was entitled to as Lord Governor. there's a mention in the dossier how he always ensured they had the very best of equipment.
Like-wise, the Ghost Legion are an independent battalion serving as a "roving trouble shooting" unit in Prefectures III and IV who went over to Sandoval.
In the Stormhammers' case - the bulk of them seem to be forker Skye Standing Guard of Sentinels who up and followed their commander.

It seems almost all of the books use militia/Standing Guard interchangeably. I've also assumed they're talking about the same thing - the planetary based defence force.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #45 on: 28 May 2013, 20:41:12 »
It seems almost all of the books use militia/Standing Guard interchangeably. I've also assumed they're talking about the same thing - the planetary based defence force.

That is correct. The Standing Guard is the Republic's planetary militias.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #46 on: 29 May 2013, 08:16:50 »
there's stories of Paladins going out to forcibly put down revolts and remove mechs from mech owning nobles in the various fluff. Including the write up for the Atlas in TRO: 3085 thats sees Kelson Sorenson head out and destroy an entire lance of family owned mechs on Kervil after they refused to surrender their equipment.

Right, but that was prior to the blackout, when everyone's equipment was being rounded up.

Gregory Kelswa-Steiner was also a governor and a Prefecture Lord Governor - so his personal forces might have become inter-mixed with the Standing Guard and other various "federal" troops under his command.
Actually, this would be a good way to maintain your old equipment and troops left over from the Jihad - "donate it" to the Standing Guard or Prefecture-based troops that are under your command. As long as you're in a position of power you can ensure these Federal troops are loyal to you first.

Many of the initial Standing Guard units were recycled Protectorate Militia units.  FM3085 notes the hodge podge of equipment, going right down to retrotech.  As time went on I'm sure some of it was replaced by RAF standard material.  Although, when Levin goes to war with his militia unit he is forced to use a pair of Succession War mechs.  The supply issues must not have been entirely worked out.

so we know the Dragon's Fury's core group were built around Katana's independent raiding battalion. Looking through the dossiers there's a few militia/Standing Guard troops who defected.
Same with the Swordsworn - the Davion Guard unit were Sandoval's personal bodyguard that he was entitled to as Lord Governor. there's a mention in the dossier how he always ensured they had the very best of equipment.
Like-wise, the Ghost Legion are an independent battalion serving as a "roving trouble shooting" unit in Prefectures III and IV who went over to Sandoval.
In the Stormhammers' case - the bulk of them seem to be forker Skye Standing Guard of Sentinels who up and followed their commander.

I'm guessing these are inline with the Errant forces?  Seems really odd to forcibly take away personal armies, then give them back to a select few.

That is correct. The Standing Guard is the Republic's planetary militias.

Thought so.  I just don't recall running across the term Standing Guard in the novels.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #47 on: 29 May 2013, 10:19:33 »
I just don't recall running across the term Standing Guard in the novels.

It was only used a couple of times in, IIRC, A Call to Arms and the Northwind trilogy.

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Utinni! A beton nya mombay m'bwa!
« Reply #48 on: 29 May 2013, 14:48:12 »
I been a RotS fan since the early days of MW:DA.  They just clicked with me (no pun intended).
CDT Agent #319

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #49 on: 29 May 2013, 14:59:42 »
I needed some convincing.  Ghost War and The Proving Grounds trilogy didn't do good lady Republic any favors.  Scorpion Jar, Fotress Republic and Surrender Your Dreams are what did it.  And, of course.  Well Met In The Future.

Darn, a Stackpole.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 29 May 2013, 19:25:19 »
Right, but that was prior to the blackout, when everyone's equipment was being rounded up.

Many of the initial Standing Guard units were recycled Protectorate Militia units.  FM3085 notes the hodge podge of equipment, going right down to retrotech.  As time went on I'm sure some of it was replaced by RAF standard material.  Although, when Levin goes to war with his militia unit he is forced to use a pair of Succession War mechs.  The supply issues must not have been entirely worked out.

Yep, Standing Guards are the ultimate pick n mix of units - so you'll find a bit of everything, skewed towards the low tech.
I'm still running Standing Guard formations based around only a handful of mechs - usually heavily made up of Retrotech, with infantry and armour support in the 3130s.
It just fits - you're not going to upgrade your second line forces to Clan and cutting edge tech just because you can.

I'm guessing these are inline with the Errant forces?  Seems really odd to forcibly take away personal armies, then give them back to a select few.

Well, these wouldn't be troops serving their leige lord - they'd be federal troops assigned to an important Republic government post.
Say you're the Lord Governor - you're going to be assigned a small honour guard. Say a platoon of BA and a company of leg infantry to guard your mansion, open doors, impress the visiting dignitaries.
Seeing as it's BT - and meant to be about mechs - let's add a lance of mechs to that honour guard.
Chuck in a vehicle lance for close protection and you've got yourself a very light battalion - and all of it is assigned to your position by the Terran government, so no one can accuse you of funding your own private army.

Now, if you're someone like Sandoval, you make sure your honour guard is the best of the best and equipped with cutting edge equipment.
And from your own pocket it, it would be easy to hire some additional forces to bolster this unit by way of "taking the pressure off the local Standing Guard".

Suddenly, you've got a sizeable and legitimate private army.

When you compare the Dragon's Fury battalion and the Ghost Legion to the Errant Force, you're pretty much right. The former Kuritan troops get a mention in FM: 3085 as an independent battalion assigned as a rotating trouble shooting force.
The Ghost Legion are described as a "rotating militia" in their dossier.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #51 on: 30 May 2013, 11:04:45 »
Yep, Standing Guards are the ultimate pick n mix of units - so you'll find a bit of everything, skewed towards the low tech.
I'm still running Standing Guard formations based around only a handful of mechs - usually heavily made up of Retrotech, with infantry and armour support in the 3130s.
It just fits - you're not going to upgrade your second line forces to Clan and cutting edge tech just because you can.

Militia in BT have always been that thing that exists in the background like traffic cops.  We know they exist.  We know they have a function.  It just isn't as important as the few dozen regiments of house troops.  The Republic and to some extent, the ADF have really embraced their militia forces.  I took a liking to them in the novels when Levin recounts his fight against one of the Capellan Warrior Houses (Dai Da Chi, I think).  His militia unit is so underwhelming in terms of material and experience.  But, they have that sad underdog thing going for them.  It really underscores how desperate the Republic was.  I'm pleased with the idea that the Republic put more emphasis on militia forces with conventional forces than the mech centric formations of the great houses.

Well, these wouldn't be troops serving their leige lord - they'd be federal troops assigned to an important Republic government post.
Say you're the Lord Governor - you're going to be assigned a small honour guard. Say a platoon of BA and a company of leg infantry to guard your mansion, open doors, impress the visiting dignitaries.
Seeing as it's BT - and meant to be about mechs - let's add a lance of mechs to that honour guard.
Chuck in a vehicle lance for close protection and you've got yourself a very light battalion - and all of it is assigned to your position by the Terran government, so no one can accuse you of funding your own private army.

Going by Well Met In The Future, even your personal guards are considered seconded to the state.  That's how it was meant to work, anyway.

Now, if you're someone like Sandoval, you make sure your honour guard is the best of the best and equipped with cutting edge equipment.
And from your own pocket it, it would be easy to hire some additional forces to bolster this unit by way of "taking the pressure off the local Standing Guard".

Suddenly, you've got a sizeable and legitimate private army.

Wasn't the Republic also using Sandoval's ties to the then-friendly Davion clan to cement a deeper partnership?  If anyone is going to have a private army it is going to be the guy with familial connections to your closest ally.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #52 on: 30 May 2013, 11:19:46 »
@Militia in the RotS:

It was in Target of Opportunity when knight Alexi had to do with the Wyatt militia. In a small scene, she talks with some of the personal, one of which tells her that the regional militias constist of people being phased out of Hastati duty, trained in all kinds of equipment.
Even as far back as Ghost War, there was a Public Safety department next to the militia, that was lightly armed but present.

@OpFor:
Especially in regard to Bennson, it´s been mentioned over and over again that he managed to stash his stuff all around the Republic with noone bein the wiser, also mercs.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 30 May 2013, 18:22:50 »
Militia in BT have always been that thing that exists in the background like traffic cops.  We know they exist.  We know they have a function.  It just isn't as important as the few dozen regiments of house troops.  The Republic and to some extent, the ADF have really embraced their militia forces.  I took a liking to them in the novels when Levin recounts his fight against one of the Capellan Warrior Houses (Dai Da Chi, I think).  His militia unit is so underwhelming in terms of material and experience.  But, they have that sad underdog thing going for them.  It really underscores how desperate the Republic was.  I'm pleased with the idea that the Republic put more emphasis on militia forces with conventional forces than the mech centric formations of the great houses.

Yeah, and as a former RL reservist I really appreciate that the militia finally got some screen time, apart from just running away from invaders.
I like that we get a good look at the Standing Guard - who are built around a core of conventional forces with limited mech forces, it's a good step away from the "mechs for everyone" and is good indicator of what the post-Jihad landscape was supposed to look like.

From memory, Levin's forces were so underequipped they were forced to string telephone wire up when they hit the dirt because their comms were so unreliable.

I know that feeling - during recruit training i was issued with Vietnam era webbing...

Wasn't the Republic also using Sandoval's ties to the then-friendly Davion clan to cement a deeper partnership?  If anyone is going to have a private army it is going to be the guy with familial connections to your closest ally.

Not only this - but until he formed the Swordsworm i think Sandoval was considered a model Republic citizen and lord governor, if one of your best men feels the urge to gather a slightly bigger bodyguard unit that usual around himself - why would you stop him?

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 31 May 2013, 01:56:20 »
I'm quite conflicted on the matter of the republic.

I think the biggest, most problematic part was how they were portrayed, one way or another, as being responsible for the lesser state of armaments in the inner sphere. Both in diminishing personal ownership of mechs within their borders, and using one pressure or another to slow the growth of arms outside their borders.

And to that end of disarmament, They are in part responsible for the dire situation that the Federated Suns, one of my preferred factions, is in. They mixed the kool-aid, and for some reason, the suns drank deep, and look at where that got us. I can't imagine what was being thought.

Add to that, the fact that I'm still about 40% certain that the Republic is part of some Word of Blake long game. I'm sure that most of the people who labor towards the republic's ideals are unwitting pawns in this, but if it comes out that there's a word of blake connection, then I'm not going to be surprised in the slightest.

But, back to the Federated Suns for a moment. They are in a position where they could use a friend. and if the republic comes out strong from the fortress, I hope they remember the things harrison and julian did, more than what Caleb did. If they are an aid to us in this dark hour, I'll forgive the disarmament nonsense. I'm sure the republic suffered enough for it as well.

But, I'm not just a son of the suns, I'm also a wolf, lean and hungry. and if it comes down to a matter of rooting for the wolves versus the republic, there's no contest who I'm backing there.

So, while its possible I could wind up fond of the republic, its just as likely that my other priorities will prevent it. So, wait and see.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

cavalier1645

• Lieutenant
  • "Train the Force...OPFOR"
« Reply #55 on: 31 May 2013, 03:26:54 »
First off, my apologies if I've missed a pre-existing thread for this.

With the kind of ups and downs which have been in play as of 3145, there's been a lot of talk generated by fans of various factions involved. Davion fans have been worrying about how they hold back the Red Green Show, Liao and Kurita loyalists are wondering when the other shoe is going to drop, everyone over on the anti-spinward side of the map is trying to work out what's going to hapen next, and the Homeworld Clan fans have been speculating on when, or even if, their favoured factions will join the fray. And so on and so forth.

But when it comes to the Republic of the Sphere itself, or its current division into the Fortress and the Remnant, there seems to be more talk around or about them than as them, if that makes sense. (To put it another way, many people seem to be talking about the fate of the Republic as it would potentially affect their chosen faction, but not in the sense of worrying about them as their own.)

And even looking back from the precipice of 3145, there are other venues in which the Republic has been, or will be, presented; such as Field Manual: 3085 and the upcoming Historical: Wars of the Republic Era. But to use the Capellan Crusades as an example, there seem to be more Capellan fans looking to see their side of events than Republic fans doing the same on their own side.

So, I guess my question is this; where are the fans of the Republic of the Sphere?

Even the Terran Hegemony has its fanbase, no doubt bolstered by the Star League Era books charting its rise and fall. But if there is any sort of sizeable fanbase on the boards for the Republic, despite (or, perhaps, because of?) the central role it plays from 3081 through (at least) 3145, it seems to be fairly quiet.

Or are the Republic fans out there simply holding their breath for the data in Field Manual: 3145 before really getting the discussion on "their" faction going?

When the republic show itself to be more then a waste of space I'll support it. As a SL and TH Fan What the republic did with the hegmony worlds in disgraceful. Hi we got our buts kicked because Oh i my goodness the country we stole our planets from got mad and attack us. Of course we have no real army or navy cause we bought into Devin Stone Kool aid. Codos for the Highlanders though, only bright spot for the Republic.  When The Republic can show it a strong viable nation and not some pathetic remnant waiting to die then ill play them till then let them die and let some reform a new Star league.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #56 on: 31 May 2013, 07:51:17 »
I'm quite conflicted on the matter of the republic.

I think the biggest, most problematic part was how they were portrayed, one way or another, as being responsible for the lesser state of armaments in the inner sphere. Both in diminishing personal ownership of mechs within their borders, and using one pressure or another to slow the growth of arms outside their borders.

I do find it humorous that the Republic is so hated because Devlin Stone maanged to convince a number of nations to pair down their militaries in the wake of the most brutal war in generations.  I know this is Battletech, and we constantly joke that Peacetech is boring.  But, still humorous that a nation commited to rebuilding the infrastructure instead of the military is so despised.  Everything's fine as long as the generals get to fight their little wars, right?

And to that end of disarmament, They are in part responsible for the dire situation that the Federated Suns, one of my preferred factions, is in. They mixed the kool-aid, and for some reason, the suns drank deep, and look at where that got us. I can't imagine what was being thought.

Add to that, the fact that I'm still about 40% certain that the Republic is part of some Word of Blake long game. I'm sure that most of the people who labor towards the republic's ideals are unwitting pawns in this, but if it comes out that there's a word of blake connection, then I'm not going to be surprised in the slightest.

But, back to the Federated Suns for a moment. They are in a position where they could use a friend. and if the republic comes out strong from the fortress, I hope they remember the things harrison and julian did, more than what Caleb did. If they are an aid to us in this dark hour, I'll forgive the disarmament nonsense. I'm sure the republic suffered enough for it as well.

But, I'm not just a son of the suns, I'm also a wolf, lean and hungry. and if it comes down to a matter of rooting for the wolves versus the republic, there's no contest who I'm backing there.

So, while its possible I could wind up fond of the republic, its just as likely that my other priorities will prevent it. So, wait and see.

I think you may be underselling how devastating the Snow Raven betrayal had been.  If not for Palmyra and the Dragoons signing up with the Dragon, things would be different.  The Suns weren't kicked in the chops because they had followed the line of reduced militaries.  They were kicked in said chops because Caleb put his trust in a clan Khan who was bonkers.  That, and both of their ancestral enemies decided it was time to knock the FedSuns down a peg.  Don't underestimate the power of being double teamed.

Just wait.  Stone's going to make fools of them all.  Again.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #57 on: 31 May 2013, 08:21:12 »
The Suns weren't kicked in the chops because they had followed the line of reduced militaries.  They were kicked in said chops because Caleb put his trust in a clan Khan who was bonkers. 

And what is the lesson there? Dont trust/deal with the Clans. And if you are forced to do it, have at the very least two or three back-up plans.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

RyuWanderfalke

• Warrant Officer
  • The fist of vengeance.
« Reply #58 on: 31 May 2013, 08:51:57 »
Sbdy should have mentioned that towards Melissa II.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #59 on: 31 May 2013, 08:55:56 »
Heh.  That means the FWL is headed for a fall, as well.

Come to think of it... the Republic suffered from bringing in clanners, as well.  Those Spirit Cats and Steel Wolves sort of complicated things for them.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER