Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147289 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #1200 on: 04 January 2017, 12:50:19 »
Sure, it was garbage.

Like every other episode from Deep Breath forward...No matter how bad the writing (and let's be honest, there's been quite a few stinkers), Capaldi's performance shines through.

I really do hope he stays on for at least a couple more seasons.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1201 on: 04 January 2017, 12:54:55 »
It was okay.  Not great, not bad, but just okay.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #1202 on: 04 January 2017, 14:12:19 »
Like every other episode from Deep Breath forward...No matter how bad the writing (and let's be honest, there's been quite a few stinkers), Capaldi's performance shines through.

Like most everything Moffat has done since becoming show runner. Thankfully that's almost done.

Smith and Capaldi have done a fantastic job with their performances, it's just a shame they haven't had much of substance to work with.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1203 on: 04 January 2017, 14:35:32 »
No comments on the Christmas special?
cheers,

Gabe

It was amusing, but it wasn't one of there more stand upish specials.
I did like how they resurrected a Tom Baker's "City of the Dead" episode for Christmas for some random reason.

I've been watching the Power of the Darlek episodes, my wife doesn't like the animation.  I enjoyed it thou i wish they had been able make it more visually watchable.  I forgot how bad in taste those earlier Doctors were in cloths.  Especially the hat!  :P

Now how long until season starts?  Like Spring or something?
« Last Edit: 04 January 2017, 21:51:13 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1204 on: 04 January 2017, 20:58:28 »
It was amusing, but it wasn't one of there more stand upish specials.
I did like how they resurrected a Tom Baker's "City of the Dead" episode Christmas for some random reason.

I've been watching the Power of the Darlek episodes, my wife doesn't like the animation.  I enjoyed it thou i wish they had been able make it more visually watchable.  I forgot how bad in taste those earlier Doctors were in cloths.  Especially the hat!  :P

Now how long until season starts?  Like Spring or something?

The second doctor was known as a hobo for a reason...

And I heard April for the start of the new season...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

StoneRhino

• Captain
Re: The Day is Near
« Reply #1205 on: 05 January 2017, 02:11:54 »
By simply having Rose Tyler in the trailer, my interest drops by about 75%

I just saw this thread right now and I must say that I completely disagree. That spoiler is what got my attention and without it led to me forgetting about the show until recently.

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #1206 on: 05 January 2017, 02:21:40 »

I just realized that this thread is ancient. I watched season 1 with Rose Tyler and part of season 2 before I lost track of the show. When they switched Doctors and had Amy as his companion I probably caught the starting and decided not to watch it thinking that they changed the show into something different. I recently watched seasons 1-8, I believe.

The funny thing is that I started with what was the newest season available on Amazon prime which was the first season for Capaldi and then went from season to season. I did so out of order and it didn't help, or perhaps it did make it funnier when there were parts that were out of order themselves.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1207 on: 05 January 2017, 06:56:11 »
The companion for season 10 doesn't seem to look promising.  The comedian in the special (we missed latter half of season 9) looks actually more promising than this lady. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #1208 on: 05 January 2017, 10:18:43 »
The companion for season 10 doesn't seem to look promising.  The comedian in the special (we missed latter half of season 9) looks actually more promising than this lady.

A chip shop girl...basically Rose all over again.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1209 on: 31 January 2017, 09:42:30 »
 :'(  :'(

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/46900/doctor-who-peter-capaldi-quitting-role-at-end-of-2017

And I was really hoping he might take a run at Tom Baker's record.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1210 on: 31 January 2017, 11:07:04 »
His tenure as the Doctor has been wasted, IMO. Fine actor, excellent portrayal. Poor scripts, terrible management by the Beeb and Moff.

I suspect that marketing has also revealed that there's no place for an 'old' Doctor anymore.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1211 on: 31 January 2017, 14:48:16 »
This is too bad.  By leaving now when the writing is so bad his run will be remembered as a bad one.  He wont get a chance to be a good Doctor.  And I worry fans may blame him the way they did Colin Baker.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1212 on: 31 January 2017, 18:52:46 »
And I worry fans may blame him the way they did Colin Baker.

To be fair, the fans blame pretty much everyone involved with Doctor Who for the failure of Doctor Who.  You'll even find people who hate Chris Eccelston and David Tennant.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1213 on: 01 February 2017, 14:59:23 »
Sad News (slightly Dated), Sir John Hurt whom portrayed the War Doctor has passed.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1214 on: 25 February 2017, 12:42:27 »
So new season starts on April 15th.

...I don't want Capaldi to go... :'( :'( :'(

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1215 on: 25 February 2017, 18:11:04 »
Not too crazy about the female companion.  She seems like to be little flighty/valley girl from the previews.  I hope it improves.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1216 on: 16 April 2017, 15:42:54 »
*steps out of old fotomat*

Well, saw the new episode last night.  Not the best episode, but enjoyable.  My only complaint was cutting short the "What's a Dalek" scene from Bill's intro promo.  Not the best episode, but I enjoyed it.  :)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1217 on: 16 April 2017, 16:16:50 »
*steps out of old fotomat*

Well, saw the new episode last night.  Not the best episode, but enjoyable.  My only complaint was cutting short the "What's a Dalek" scene from Bill's intro promo.  Not the best episode, but I enjoyed it.  :)

It has its moments...I especially loved the two pictures on his desk...but at times Bill seemed EXTREMELY flighty...not sure about her going forward...

Just one question:

What's in the vault?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1218 on: 16 April 2017, 16:25:19 »
I'll agree along that season 10's opener was ok.
What I liked though was at the end when the female companion was about to be mind-wiped and she unknowingly called out the Doctor about having it done to him...

And, as a side point, I liked towards the end of Class' pilot ep when the Doctor saw the board of the school's teachers. A very nice touch indeed...

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1219 on: 16 April 2017, 16:30:21 »
I'll agree along that season 10's opener was ok.
What I liked though was at the end when the female companion was about to be mind-wiped and she unknowingly called out the Doctor about having it done to him...

And, as a side point, I liked towards the end of Class' pilot ep when the Doctor saw the board of the school's teachers. A very nice touch indeed...

Sadly, I missed Class, but only because I was watching the taped recorded version of Pilot. :(

It has its moments...I especially loved the two pictures on his desk...but at times Bill seemed EXTREMELY flighty...not sure about her going forward...

Just one question:

What's in the vault?

Ruger

Not sure, but if I where going to place a bet....GALLIFREY!!!!!!!

Yes, I know we saw it last season, but we're not sure how it got there.  For that matter, is it Time War Gallifrey, or post Time War Gallifrey?  Maybe we'll see how The Curator gets his hands on Gallifrey Falls No More. :)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1220 on: 16 April 2017, 17:05:49 »
Sadly, I missed Class, but only because I was watching the taped recorded version of Pilot. :(

Not sure, but if I where going to place a bet....GALLIFREY!!!!!!!

Yes, I know we saw it last season, but we're not sure how it got there.  For that matter, is it Time War Gallifrey, or post Time War Gallifrey?  Maybe we'll see how The Curator gets his hands on Gallifrey Falls No More. :)

Perhaps...

Oh...I almost forgot the most important thing I saw in the previews for the season...what appeared to be...CYBERMONDASIANS!!!

Ruger

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1221 on: 16 April 2017, 17:41:36 »
Yep, I knew they where coming back.  Also, guess who's returning, with the copywritten beard? ;) :) THEY'RE FINALLY KEEPING UP WITH THE DOCTOR!!!!!!! :)
Five rounds, rapid!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1222 on: 16 April 2017, 19:08:27 »
Just finished watching "The Pilot". Was pretty good. Reserving judgment about Bill. New companions always take a bit to get used to them. Did like seeing the Movellans though.

A few things to note:
Saw few things in the "Next Time" trailer at the end: Missy is back; the first version of the original Mondas Cybermen as already noted; what looked like the Doctor's regeneration; oh and John Simms is coming back as well.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1223 on: 16 April 2017, 19:17:55 »
what looked like the Doctor's regeneration

Well Capaldi mentioned on the Graham Norton Show ep that aired last night as well, that he's filmed his death scene.
Now all we need to know who is gonna be 14?

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1224 on: 16 April 2017, 19:21:17 »
A few things to note:
Saw few things in the "Next Time" trailer at the end: Missy is back; the first version of the original Mondas Cybermen as already noted; what looked like the Doctor's regeneration; oh and John Simms is coming back as well.

And he's sporting a beard!!!!! :o
Five rounds, rapid!

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1225 on: 16 April 2017, 22:35:01 »
Well Capaldi mentioned on the Graham Norton Show ep that aired last night as well, that he's filmed his death scene.
Now all we need to know who is gonna be 14?

And...is there going to be a Valeyard?

cheers,

Gabe

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1226 on: 30 April 2017, 18:56:58 »
Any thoughts on the newest episode? For myself, still not sold on Bill, but I thought she was better in this episode...and I'm still wondering what's up with that vault and the Doctor's vow!

Oh, and who else's been watching "Class" after Who? There's parts of the show I almost like, but others...no...just, no...

Ruger

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1227 on: 30 April 2017, 19:28:24 »
Class... blech. Yet another unnecessary supernatural teen high school drama.

I like Bill's character so far.

The vault will likely contain the Master.

I have no strong opinions about the episodes so far. They're not the trash of previous seasons, but they're nothing special either. I was rather hoping for more with this being Capaldi's final season.

Still, I'm intrigued by the rumours swirling about that the First Doctor will have a role in the Christmas special.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1228 on: 30 April 2017, 22:20:19 »
Class... blech. Yet another unnecessary supernatural teen high school drama.

I like Bill's character so far.

The vault will likely contain the Master.

I have no strong opinions about the episodes so far. They're not the trash of previous seasons, but they're nothing special either. I was rather hoping for more with this being Capaldi's final season.

Still, I'm intrigued by the rumours swirling about that the First Doctor will have a role in the Christmas special.

I've...been batting .000 with my guesses, so I'll agree that it's probably the Master.  Assuming that it's not Gallifrey.  Although after seeing a response earlier, if it is the Valeyard, I'm going to be very stunned. 
Five rounds, rapid!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1229 on: 01 May 2017, 11:47:19 »
It was good. Not a spectacular episode, but it was good. Bill is growing on me. She seems to have a more natural response to traveling with the Doctor: equal parts wonder and terror. Some of the recent companions have seemed too eager from the beginning to be quite believable to me. Sad she is leaving at the end of the season as well.

(Rumor is, Capaldi didn't actually want to leave, but jumped before he was pushed. Apparently the BBC has decided the low viewership of recent years is because Capaldi is too old to play the Doctor. (And nothing to do with them scheduling it in a "kill slot"). So they've decided that with a new show runner coming on they need a new Doctor, one who is younger and sexy and male. Someone like David Tennant. And a new companion as well. All rumors do far, but it does jive with how the BBC has treated the show in the past. Sorry to sound elitist, but if your only complaint against Capaldi is that he is too old, you aren't a real Doctor Who fan...)

As for what's in the vault...no idea. Missy kind of seems like a safe bet. Gallifrey is possible, weird, but possible. Could also be the Doctor's next incarnation for whatever reason. (As for the Valeyard, well, anything is possible, but I'd say unlikely: from what we know it seems much too late in the Doctor's life for that. Chronologically speaking, the Valeyard would fit in sometime between Tennent2 and Smith, so during the year of the specials (The Planet of the Dead, The Next Doctor, The Waters of Mars, The End of Time").)

Anyone else sign up for BritBox? They've finally added Classic Who. Mostly complete: besides the missing episodes there are a few stories unavailable at the moment (Remembrance of the Daleks for instance.) Also, unlike when they were on Hulu, BritBox isn't streaming them in HD. Actually, everything I've watched on there (not just Doctor Who, but everything) looks like bad quality VHS. I know it's not on my side (can have 3 to 4 HD streams on other sites running simultaneously and still look great). So has to be on their end. :/