Author Topic: Terrain Hex Pack in progress  (Read 170946 times)

Wotan

• Lieutenant
Re: Terrain Hex Pack in progress - 3rd update
« Reply #30 on: 26 November 2013, 14:49:37 »
Desert or ice? What do you vote for to be next?

None of them  ;)

You said you want to go with every game pieces. And i see just few games played on ice or desert worlds. Most games are played with "normal" environment. So I - if i were so talented - would go with expanding the line of markers for the green board.
A farm with some fields ? Something that can be found everywhere and would just give some flavor to any map.
Or some outlying recreation facilities - Hotels, sportfields or something like that. Nothing of great Impact to the game, but to give the map a feeling of a inhabited world.
The entrance into a mine ? And the typical buildings surrounding it. Ok nothing that usual again. But also something of a common Mission objective.
Otherwise go with all buildings you find near Spaceports, factories or storage buildings.

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #31 on: 26 November 2013, 15:53:04 »
I completely agree with Wotan.

Main battles would be thought over terraformed planets where humans can live without pushing it to the limit.

More rivers, lake, seashores and various terrain types can occur on green planets, too, so a lot of possibilities here.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 26 November 2013, 16:31:36 »
Good point, thanks  O0
I still want to try it with a canyon terrain (cause it can be mixed with greenery), but will expand this pack. In order: hills, rivers, more buildings
Hope to prepare the map with some small details till the end of this week
Thanks guys!

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 29 November 2013, 11:46:40 »
So guys, as I promissed, the archive with everything I've done so far, accept counters (will add those later as an addon)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cy94da1udh56ia1/Classic_Battletech_Map_Sheet_by_Whitar.7z

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Terrain Hex Pack in progress - Download archive added
« Reply #34 on: 29 November 2013, 12:28:52 »
I would like to counter the argument here for more green worlds with...I have enough maps already for green worlds. What I am lacking is 'other' stuff.

As an example, in my home Battletech campaign, our Merc Company was hired to retrieve some documents from a cache before others got there. We got to the system, and randomly rolled for weather,etc to sort of 'set the scene' if you will. We got winter & ice. No Biggie, in the campaign it means we arrived at the region in winter, and thus all campaign tracks featured winter snow storms, ice, deep snow etc.

But Hey, winter/snow maps could also be for northern climates, or higher elevations, like the Swiss alps or the Himalayas.

Now, Also consider planets like Gliese 581d, which is thought to be a super earth, orbit within the habitable zone, but also thought by some always have one of it's poles always facing it's parent Star Gliese. This would mean, a planet like Gliese 581d, while Habitable, it would only be the Equatorial region as (for sake of argument) the Northern hemisphere faces the sun and so would be far hostile on the HOT end of the scale, the same could be said for the Southern hemisphere which would be far too cold.

And, finally and argument that not allll BT Battles would be for habitable places, but also those pesky but durn-it-all we NEEDS IT places like mineral rich regions (need all that metal and stuff for building these Hulking Monstrosities and cities and what not.)

Finally, let's take MECH WARRIOR ONLINE's recent map CRIMSON STRAIT: http://mwomercs.com/game/maps/crimson-strait

A cool Terrestial world, but the waters are red in color from the local flora/fauna.

So, put me in the camp wanting to see places other than Green Land, Blue Water.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 29 November 2013, 12:45:40 »
Yeah, a polar map will be there, no doubt  ::)
I'll post a sample in few hours

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 29 November 2013, 15:11:09 »
To clarify that - i opted for more Counters based on green Maps to add scenery there.
I agree there are many green base maps available. But i like the Hexpacks and the Counters there to add something Special to well known maps.

Beside that a winter map and one desert map with appropriate Counters would be my next step, when Counters for the green maps are finished. ;)
And yes, i would have some ideas for possible Counters on such maps.  ;D

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: 29 November 2013, 16:22:49 »
Sure, we can start thinking about winter world counters) I have a couple ideas for buildings, and terrain will be modular. What size should the map be? 4 sheets again?

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 29 November 2013, 23:47:56 »
Not sure if you've thought about or would want to do this:  A series of interconnecting "castle" walls for mechs and/or infantry.  individual pieces for turns or curvatures with 2-6 hex long pieces for straight runs.  Maybe have some images that could replace one of the sections with corresponding rubble for a destroyed section.  Have ramp sections that could be placed for mechs, tanks, infantry to access. 

roads done in the same way.   Not just ferrocrete roads but something like tank trails where many vehicles/mechs have worn a track through the areas where they have been traveling.
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 30 November 2013, 03:50:25 »
Thanks, it's a good tip! Roads are important, as is a castle or military base. Will think abot those, and if you can help me with planing and positioning, would be great. By the way, who downloaded the archive? Any rewiews?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #40 on: 30 November 2013, 04:10:36 »
I did, my thoughts are while they look great, I must echo other thoughts in that for ease of tile placement, roads/rivers etc, shoudl enter/exit from the centre of a hex side, otherwise, the tile placements are off, and could lead to issues of "Does this road meet that road?"

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 30 November 2013, 16:22:25 »
Something like this?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #42 on: 30 November 2013, 16:40:50 »
Yessir

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 03 December 2013, 08:31:57 »
Here is the counter template, download it full size

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: 03 December 2013, 12:14:11 »
Trying to make hills, can't say I like them

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #45 on: 03 December 2013, 13:17:16 »
Longer, less steep slope?
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #46 on: 03 December 2013, 14:45:50 »
Waited for Approval from the Mods to ensure I was OK in this.

I am a community leader at a wonderful forum which is all about making maps, and how to make them better.

We are located at:

http://www.cartographersguild.com

Drop an intro, post up your map (include what software you are using), and someone will be along quite soon to give you excellent advice on how to improve what you are doing.

Thanx

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: 03 December 2013, 15:03:59 »
Thank you! Been a member of your forum for some time, and had a thread about hex maps several years ago. Will post my new materials there again, thanks
Here, posted new thread http://www.cartographersguild.com/board-game-mapping/25464-battletech-board-game-oriented-hex-map.html#post230798
« Last Edit: 03 December 2013, 18:19:37 by Whitar »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #48 on: 03 December 2013, 20:29:18 »
I'll check it out there, currently an issue getting to the Guild's Site as there is a 502 BAD GATEWAY error :(

Wereferret

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 03 December 2013, 23:14:19 »
These are amazing, thanks for the effort!   O0  I'm printing out the buildings and craters for sure.  It's always nice to be able to add some variety to hex cities.  For a suggestion, it would be nice to have some counters there for destroyed mech's/vehicles.

Thanks again!

SeeM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 04 December 2013, 02:53:57 »
But Hey, winter/snow maps could also be for northern climates, or higher elevations, like the Swiss alps or the Himalayas.

Who the hell would drop his Mechs onto Himayayas?  :) But you got a point with winter board. I really like Memoir '44 winter board backround. Simple and elegant for hex overlays.

Whitar, I choose you!  O0
« Last Edit: 04 December 2013, 03:02:11 by SeeM »
(+)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: 04 December 2013, 03:45:16 »
Thanks:) Make photos of your game using my counters, that will be great.  I also think that winter terrain is a nice feature for a game

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #52 on: 04 December 2013, 03:59:02 »
Yeah pput me down forDestroyed mechs/Vehicles

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: 04 December 2013, 07:14:53 »
any request what mechs/veh. should I destroy? I have a Behemoth tank, it will be fine?

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #54 on: 04 December 2013, 08:22:05 »
Who the hell would drop his Mechs onto Himayayas?

Anyone who's orbital drop went wrong ;)

I'd suggest a Warhammer WHM-6R please, crashed so badly nobody notices it's unseen. ;)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: 04 December 2013, 16:48:08 »
First lake/river pack is ready, let me know what you think  8) Not too dark?
Next sheets are the big lakes counter, rough terrain/rubble and destroyed mech/vehicle markers. I'll leave the hills for later

« Last Edit: 05 December 2013, 10:20:14 by Whitar »

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
« Reply #56 on: 05 December 2013, 06:25:06 »
This work if beautiful! 

I don't want to come off as nit-picky, but I did notice something.  The 4-hex river piece with a bit-o-land in the middle (near the center of the entire image), the water flows off from two adjacent hex sides instead of the middle of one hex side.  I only mention it because no other tile has that, so there would not necessarily be a spot to place that tile where it would line up with the tile next to it.

I don't know if that's too picky.  I am enjoying seeing the new terrain.  Please continue developing this project.

JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: 05 December 2013, 09:55:30 »
Thanks! I really have to change it, it makes a difference
Ok, and another one

« Last Edit: 05 December 2013, 10:23:34 by Whitar »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #58 on: 05 December 2013, 11:31:48 »
Another tile that is....problematic, maybe.

The three piece tile in the lower right. Has bridge crossing one tile adjacent to a two hex stream/river on the other, yet according to standard TW rules, the only units really that could take advantage of the bridge are the ones that don't really need a bridge (mechs and hover), as all other units can enter the bridge hex but cannot exit it due to being denied access to depth 1 water hexes.

Which makes me think of a water type hex I would like to see: FORDS, nice Depth 0 water hexes that wheeled, tracked and other types of vehicles can enter without being destroyed.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #59 on: 05 December 2013, 13:07:10 »
I see what you meen..I planned it to be a sepetate brige hex, but forgot to cut it away  ;)
So briges are not good for mechs anyway?
Also, how would be a hex with destroyed mech or tank marked? Rough? Or leave it empty?
« Last Edit: 05 December 2013, 13:33:39 by Whitar »

Register