Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 135921 times)

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« on: 09 February 2014, 00:03:47 »
With the 50th page of the last thread arrived at.... why not get an early start on what you guys are watching?  Saw RED 2 on DVD recently with a review in the works and Friday managed to see Lego movie, which was way better than even I thought it would be. 

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2014, 02:00:31 »
Went to go see The Monument Men today. Was fun.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
-Charles Darwin

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2014, 04:49:31 »
I've finally gotten around to watching the live action Space Battleship Yamato - I've been promising myself I'd watch it for ages.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2014, 13:22:19 »
I've finally gotten around to watching the live action Space Battleship Yamato - I've been promising myself I'd watch it for ages.

I really enjoyed it, especially since it stayed true to most non-Hollywood films when it comes to the fate of main characters.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2014, 13:43:22 »

That was a good love/hate movie.   Wish it has been truer to source sadly but at least the main character (the ship) looked good.

Just made some house guests sit through 'Enemy at the Gates', the 1942 German war movie 'Stukas' (recently restored), the 2013 Polish war movie 'The Battle of Westerplatte', and 'Redtails' yesterday because I didn't want to watch the Olympics highlights and thus commandeered the TV for an impromptu movie day.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #5 on: 09 February 2014, 14:47:03 »
I saw The 13th Warrior the other night.  It was awesome. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2014, 15:26:37 »

I can watch that movie over and over; it's one of my favorites.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2014, 23:15:07 »

It certainly is! And its chock full of great lines.  O0
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2014, 02:59:09 »
Space Battleship Yamato turned out to be a lot of fun, although it left me with the vague feeling that I may have seen some of the show it was based on years ago... although I may be mistaking it for something else animated that feataured a capital ship with a hugely powerful beam weapon in the prow and a Captain with a heroic beard.

I like 13th Warrior as well, although the bit that always throws me out of the film for some reason is the thought of exactly how many bears must've been killed to provide hats for the Pictish horde that appears at the end... are bears extinct in Scandanavia?

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2014, 11:20:20 »
The LEGO Movie - Everything is awesome. See this movie.

Monuments Men - Mawkish and poorly plotted with shallow characterization.  I'm pretty disappointed with George Clooney over this one guys.   The cast is all good, but they have a bad script to work with and the villains of the piece are barely there at all.  Skip it.

RoboCop (1987) - I'd buy that for a dollar!

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2014, 11:47:16 »
Watched Pacte de Lupus yesterday.  It is my favorite Kung-Fu/Monster/political thriller/mystery/romance/French Revolution period piece.  Ever.
« Last Edit: 10 February 2014, 11:50:32 by Banzai »

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2014, 16:04:13 »
Watched Pacte de Lupus yesterday.  It is my favorite Kung-Fu/Monster/political thriller/mystery/romance/French Revolution period piece.  Ever.
Been a while since I've seen anyone mention that one.  Good call!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2014, 16:59:02 »
Hm..  Seems a posting i made (in the other movie thread before it got closed down) disappeared. 
Since last wednesday was my 40th bday, i treated myself to some movies from our local 'DVD buyback store'.  Got some decent ones (mostly older titiles i have not seen in a while, like Most wanted with Waynes and Voight, and hollow man 1 and 2)..

But i saw a pair of other decent movies i decided to NOT get as i wanted peoples opinions.

First is Bad company with Chris rock and Anthony hopkins and the 2nd was
Bait with Jamie foxx and David Morse.

If you had to pick just one, which would you go with??
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 10 February 2014, 20:05:05 »
Sorry, garhkal, I can't help you with either of those movies.

Received Oblivion in the mail from Netflix; even though I saw it in the theater, I wanted to watch it in the comfort of my own home.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2014, 00:25:24 »
Caught Ender's game this evening.  Some what strange in how it ended, but it set itself up for a sequal nicely.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 12 February 2014, 06:44:59 »
Recently watched Riddick, not bad, but certainly not great. Bit of a return to Pitch Black, but without the low budget flair of the original.

About a month ago I watched Now You See Me, fantastic movie, beautifully crafted, well acted, great script, over all just a fantastic movie.

Brooklyn Red Leg

• Corporal
  • Armored Space Corps Black Lion Sqn
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: 12 February 2014, 07:29:51 »
Got around to seeing World War Z. I had thought that Paul Verhoven's execrable Starship Troopers was the single worst adaptation of a book to a movie until now. It made, quite simply, NO SENSE. The whole fast-moving-zombies was inane as well as the fact that Brad Pitt's character survives way too many times in situations that felt forced/contrived (Jerusalem, the airliner etc). I wonder if the screenplay's writer wiped his keister with Max Brooks' novel >:(. Complete and total thumbs down.

HikageMaru's awesome banner thread is here

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 12 February 2014, 18:16:32 »
Recently watched Riddick, not bad, but certainly not great. Bit of a return to Pitch Black, but without the low budget flair of the original.

About a month ago I watched Now You See Me, fantastic movie, beautifully crafted, well acted, great script, over all just a fantastic movie.

Now you see me was one of my top 5 films for 2013..  Pity it has not yet gotten any nods for the oscars/academy awards etc..

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 12 February 2014, 19:04:24 »
Watched Walk Hard last night  O0

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #19 on: 12 February 2014, 21:14:13 »
Got around to seeing World War Z. I had thought that Paul Verhoven's execrable Starship Troopers was the single worst adaptation of a book to a movie until now. It made, quite simply, NO SENSE. The whole fast-moving-zombies was inane as well as the fact that Brad Pitt's character survives way too many times in situations that felt forced/contrived (Jerusalem, the airliner etc). I wonder if the screenplay's writer wiped his keister with Max Brooks' novel >:(. Complete and total thumbs down.

That pretty much sums up the movie.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 13 February 2014, 02:40:16 »
Finally caught a damn fine 'magicians' movie, the Prestige with Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale..  Man was it good!

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 13 February 2014, 05:05:25 »

I liked World War Z even though it was nothing like the book. I did realise that it would be nothing like the book well before I ever got to see it, so that made all the difference.

If you can forget that it shares the name with Max Brooks' book, the movie is not bad. Sure certain things are contrived, certain things are impossible, but on the whole, it was pretty standard for an action movie, and a cut above a lot of them. Funniest thing I saw about it though was on my forum at work, where one employee was complaining that the movie wasn't realistic. Not because of the plane crash or the wall, or anything like that, but because the zombies were able to run. :P

Another employee pointed out that its a zombie movie, realism headed out the door before the first draft of the script.

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 13 February 2014, 09:23:26 »
I liked World War Z even though it was nothing like the book. I did realise that it would be nothing like the book well before I ever got to see it, so that made all the difference.

If you can forget that it shares the name with Max Brooks' book, the movie is not bad. Sure certain things are contrived, certain things are impossible, but on the whole, it was pretty standard for an action movie, and a cut above a lot of them. Funniest thing I saw about it though was on my forum at work, where one employee was complaining that the movie wasn't realistic. Not because of the plane crash or the wall, or anything like that, but because the zombies were able to run. :P

Another employee pointed out that its a zombie movie, realism headed out the door before the first draft of the script.

to mean world of Z only got good during the second half when they were in the hospital wish the whole movie was in that just one setting.  I mention before what I didnt' like about it and I didn't read the book.  Just know enough that it has very little to do with it.    Some thing were ok but I never like fast zombies.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #23 on: 13 February 2014, 12:08:31 »

Like Nightlord, I rather enjoyed the movie, as I saw it as an offshoot in the same universe as the novel rather than an adaptation.  The book was unfilmable, which isn't a criticism--I enjoyed the book far more than I thought I would, even with some of the more egregious wallbanger parts.  But it wasn't a book that lends itself to adaptation to the screen.

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #24 on: 13 February 2014, 12:54:55 »
I never read the book for World War Z (my review here if you want to see that), which may have helped my impression.  I actually enjoyed the different take on zombies, more insect like and immediately threatening versus the slow and many times comical ones you could take out at will from a proper vantage point.   ;)

That said, finally finished my review for RED 2 which I saw on DVD a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.paulsvalleydailydemocrat.com/moviereviews/x1708326780/-Red-2-milder-but-improved-villain

My full thoughts on the Lego movie coming soon. 

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 13 February 2014, 13:44:09 »
Finally caught a damn fine 'magicians' movie, the Prestige with Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale..  Man was it good!
The Prestige is a really great movie.  It's something of a 'forgotten' Nolan film because people skip from Memento to Inception and the Batman movies when talking about him, but they really shouldn't.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 13 February 2014, 16:14:03 »
Never bothered with Memento, but loved Inception.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #27 on: 14 February 2014, 23:58:57 »
I'm watching The Great Escape again. Watched it maybe three weeks ago, but I just read the book and now I want to watch the movie again.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 15 February 2014, 00:14:32 »
Never bothered with Memento, but loved Inception.

If you get a chance to watch it, Memento is a great movie.  In fact, it certainly kept Nolan on my "must watch" list and have seen all of his movies. 

I'm watching The Great Escape again. Watched it maybe three weeks ago, but I just read the book and now I want to watch the movie again.

Awesome movie.  I might have to watch this tonight  O0

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #29 on: 15 February 2014, 00:36:50 »
Awesome movie.  I might have to watch this tonight  O0

Its my top favorite movie. Were else can I watch Maverick (James Garner), John Hammond-the old dude from Jurassic Park (Richard Attenborough), Paul Kersey-Death Wish (Charles Bronson), Ernest Stavros Blofeld-James Bond (Donald Pleasence), Our Man Flint (James Coburn), and Illya Kuryakin-The Man from Uncle (David McCallum) all in one movie?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.