Author Topic: Empire Aflame AU - Fan Projects  (Read 122439 times)

DarthRads

• Captain
  • Trust me...I'm the Doctor...
Re: FIELD MANUAL - TERRAN SUPREMACY (Empire Aflame AU)
« Reply #30 on: 24 November 2014, 19:04:14 »
I would go for Ark Royal, or even stick with the ship's original free worlds name (assuming it was a captured ship) as a nod to the old myth about renaming ships being bad luck.

I like the Ark Royal name personnally (my british heritage there!)

So the Raven combat fleet would most likely be:

TSS Mountbatten (Texas class Battleship)
TSS Ark Royal (Thera class Carrier)
TSS Admiral Perry (Congress class Frigate)
TSS Marseilles (Essex class Destroyer)
TSS Leander (Lola III class Destroyer)
TSS Jackson (Vincent class Corvette)

There were no Whirlwinds in the TS Fleet  :(

All of those names are Star League era names and survivors of the Liberation so they would have made the Exodus  :)

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 24 November 2014, 19:15:20 »
In addition, the 18th maintains a 5 ship Transport squadron based around the Potemkin class Bonaventure. This squadron is fleshed by the following:

TSS Venture Star (Carrack class Transport)
TSS Tenacity (Volga class Transport)
and two other Carracks that I can't think of no Clan names for.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #32 on: 24 November 2014, 19:22:34 »
How about John W. Brown and Jeremiah O'Brien for your Carracks?
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 24 November 2014, 19:27:11 »
Where did you get those names?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #34 on: 24 November 2014, 19:30:49 »
I would suggest Reluctant for one of them. Not because of any clan connection though...
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #35 on: 24 November 2014, 20:38:06 »

Ah.. old Liberty/Victory ships, if I'm not mistaken?  :)

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 24 November 2014, 21:45:58 »
I probably won't just make up names for ships. I'm trying to find ones that match from 402 cannon survivors of the Liberation.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 24 November 2014, 22:02:04 »
I'm willing to bet you won't find a lot of names for canon SLDF carracks.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 24 November 2014, 22:03:43 »
6th Division unique formations:

Dragoon Regiment - Intended to be a highly integrated combined arms force with each company deploying a mix of troops Dragoon Regiments comprise 12 lances of Battlemechs, 6 Lances of Armoured Vehicles, 9 lances of Battle Armour and 4 fighter squadrons. These lances are then combined into muti unit formations including Companies comprising 8 Mechs and 2 fighters or 4 mechs and 8  Battle Armour Squads, while the bulk of the unit comprises an even mix of a lance each of Mechs, Battle Armour and Fighters. Support is provided in the form of mixed Tank and Battle Armour companies.

And from Earlier:

Seeker REgiments - In addition to their three combat regiments, each Brigade in the 6th also maintains a special regiment of combat engineers, archeologists and technical experts tasked with seeking out old Star League facilities, both inside and outside of the Supremacy boarders. Each battalion within theSe so called Seeker Regiment comprises 1 Company of combat troops (1 lance mechs, 1 lance vehicles and 1 lance of Infantry) and two companies of experts (considered Mechanised Infantry). Their job is to locate and repair what they find or relocate/destroy them in order to keep them out of the house Lords hands.

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 24 November 2014, 22:10:33 »
AS another teaser:

14th Division - Cobra's Coils

Alpha Brigade
1st Air Cavalry
16th Striker Regiment

Bravo Brigade
2nd Air Cavalry
21st Guard Regiment

Charlie Brigade
3rd Air Cavalry
10th Support Regiment

Delta Brigade
4th Air Cavalry
5th Light Regiment

Total forces: 372 Mechs; 192 Vehicles; 720 Battle Armour Troops; 420 Conventional Infantry; 192 Fighters
Breakdown: 30%; 15%; 19%; 5%; 31%
Equivelancy (108 Point Regiments):
3 Battlemech; 2 Armour; 2 Battle Armour; Less than 1 Regiment Infantry; 4 Aerospace Regiments (Close enough anyway)
« Last Edit: 26 November 2014, 03:49:13 by DarthRads »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #40 on: 25 November 2014, 08:06:38 »
Are you going to be using any of the old SLDF names for these new Divisions.  Clan-hinted naming aside?  there were alot cool named unit's would be nice see in this new alternated reality.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 25 November 2014, 16:21:36 »
Are you going to be using any of the old SLDF names for these new Divisions.  Clan-hinted naming aside?  there were alot cool named unit's would be nice see in this new alternated reality.

Possibly for the Regulars...

Speaking of which...

Regular Divisions
The royal Guards may reprsent the elite offensive arm of the Supremacy, but the armed forces are much larger than just these 20 divisions. The TSAF maintains no fewer than 60 Regular Divisions of 10 regiments; each broken down into 2 regiment Brigades. Organised in General Kerensky's combined arms mould each regular Brigade comprises a Mech Battalion, 2 Armour Battalions and a full Infantry regiment. When deployd as a whole this gives each Regular Division aprroximatly 2 Mech Regiments 3 Vehicle regiments and 5 Infantry Regiments.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 25 November 2014, 16:33:27 »
Thoughts on the Royal Black Watch? Elizabeth Hazen was one of the few survivors of the original regiment, so should the regiment be reconstituted, might it be a part of the 2nd Royal Guards, or a Northwind based Regulars division?

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #43 on: 25 November 2014, 17:59:09 »
The Royal Black Watch also plays a big part in the Blood Spirit heritage as well.

So here is a parallel history for you say - 1st Succession War style (I would also make the conflict much more violent as Kerensky feared) if there is no Pentagon Civil War.  In spite of earlier successes the Terran Supremacy faces a dire situation with a war on five fronts. Encircled and facing constant harassment (maybe even some traitors within) some type of action has to be taken.   

The 20 new Royal Watch (my take on these pseudo Clan formations) divisions were assembled from the very best of the TSAF late in the war to help end that cataclysmic conflict which threatened to destroy all of humanity. Rather than following the established conventions of war they were to set the new standard and uphold the honor of the old Star League. Much like Operation Klondike their first mission would be aimed at breaking the stalemate and ending the war albeit not through total conquest like the Pentagon but rather forcing a WW1 truce on the Successor States.

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 25 November 2014, 21:32:06 »
The Black Watsh was only a single regiment...

I imagine these 20 Divisions taking the place of the SLDF Royal Units and rotating throught he position of Black Watch or Contributing to it...

Oh, and the Bears do have a full Battle Armour regiment in their organisation!

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #45 on: 25 November 2014, 21:45:41 »
Where did you get those names?
Those are the last two surviving operational Liberty Ships.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 25 November 2014, 23:41:26 »
More notes of the Kerensky Reforms

Kerensky trained the new Royal Guard Divisions to operate as combined arms forces at every level. A division could split itself up into small, mixed company or battalion sized forces, operate as individual regiments, full divisions, combine elements with other divisions or as large, multi divisional combat groups.

One of the best examples of multiple divisions working together was an operation by the White Ravens, Horseman and Bears Divisions. The Raven warship group cleared the path, then their fighter units achieved air superiority while LAMs from the Striker and Air Support Regiments achieved a beachhead. Next the Bears grounded and used their mech forces and in conjunction with the heavy armour and infantry of the Horsemen to secure the objectives, all under the cover of the fighters of the 18th.

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 26 November 2014, 01:20:46 »
I imagine the above taking place during the 6/7/8th Battle for Hesperus. It became a 3 way battle between the Lyrans, Combine and Supremacy, with the Mckenna class James Mckenna killing the DC fleet and crippling the Invincible (the Mountbatten having been transfered for repair)...that is if Hesperus falls in the Supremacy now...which I think it does.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 26 November 2014, 03:02:19 »
Don't forget to reserve a couple of cool names for the other factions as well.   O0
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 26 November 2014, 04:05:20 »
Another teaser:

3RD DIVISION - BLACK JAGUARS
Maintaining one of the highest levels of training among the Royal Guard Divisions (Believed to be second only to that of the 1st and 9th Divisions), the Black Jaguar Division was known for highly aggressive tactics and deploying heavy units in overwhelming numbers. Unlike virtually all of the other Royal Guard Divisions, the 3rd deploys no conventional infantry and only limited numbers of armoured vehicles. With a total of 12 regiment on the roster at it's height, the 3rd operated primarily [Heavy] Guard, Assault and Battle Regiments, with only two Light and a single Striker providing lighter weight, high speed scouting capability. Their heavy firepower and ruthless agression won the 3rd Division many victories, but would ultimatly prove it's undoing when (without authorisation) they launched a strike at the heart of the Draconis Combine, striking at Luthien itself in 3051 before being pushed back. The Jaguars were destroyed in the Combine counter offensive in 3060, despite the intervention of several other Guard Divisions. Rumours persisted for decades that survivors existed in Combine POW Camps. The division has yet to be reconstituted and is considered stricken from the roster.

Alpha Brigade
2nd   Guard Regiment
15th   Striker Regiment
9th   Light Regiment

Beta Brigade
4th   Guard Regiment
23rd   Battle Regiment
35th   Light Regiment

Charlie Brigade
39th   Guard Regiment
7th   Battle Regiment
13th   Assault Regiment

Delta Brigade
40th   Guard Regiment
32nd   Battle Regiment
49th   Striker Regiment

Total forces: 984 Mechs; 192 Vehicles; 1560 Battle Armour Troops; NO Conventional Infantry; 120 Fighters
Breakdown: 50%; 10%; 28%; 0%; 12%
9 Battlemech; 2 Armour; 5 Battle Armour; 2+ Aerospace Regiments

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #50 on: 26 November 2014, 07:48:25 »
Silly question that may invoke Cthulhu's arrival.  How is the Terran Supremacy paying for all this stuff? You have to have a roburst economy pouring into the nation's coffers.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 26 November 2014, 15:59:29 »
Silly question that may invoke Cthulhu's arrival.  How is the Terran Supremacy paying for all this stuff? You have to have a roburst economy pouring into the nation's coffers.

Well, the PDF gives them 40+ warships and Word Of Herb is they may have as many as 400 Mech Regiments available to them!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #52 on: 26 November 2014, 16:51:22 »
Well, the PDF gives them 40+ warships and Word Of Herb is they may have as many as 400 Mech Regiments available to them!
I was talking about economically supporting them, thus why i was referring to Cthulhu.  You got have robust economy to pay all those mouths and up keep and buy new toys.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 26 November 2014, 19:09:33 »
Just wanted to say I am looking for a consolidated fan made book!   ;D  Not concerned as much about the economy as I am about what weapons' manufacturers survived to 3095?  Awesome work so far!!

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 26 November 2014, 19:17:40 »
And another one:

1st Division - Wolves of Kerensky
The elite of the Supremacy Armed Forces and personal unit of the Supremacy’s first Commanding General, the newly christened 1st Royal Guard Division was the first Supremacy Combat unit to be declared combat ready following Commanding General Nicholas Kerensky military reform. 

The Wolves of Kerensky became the model upon which all of the Supremacy frontline divisions. Rather than homogonous brigades of mechs, infantry and armour, Kerensky combined brigades into a mutually supportive force with each Regiment comprising a combination of Mech Companies, Armour Companies, and Infantry Companies, with integral fighter and artillery support attached.

1st Division has been the spear head in virtually every major campaign the Supremacy has undertaken since its founding. Operating an extremely balanced force that fights as a cohesive force (Some might even say ‘Pack’), the wolves pursue every campaign methodically, operating under three basic tactical principles:

1.   Acquire accurate intelligence regarding the enemy forces and battlefield.
2.   Ensure adequate preparation (supplies, etc.) are emplace before launching campaign.
3.   Be willing to take (calculated) risks as this could prove the difference between winning and losing a battle.

Following the near total destruction of the 17th Division (The Widowmakers) in the defence of a downed General Kerensky, it was decided to honour the survivors by folding them into the 1st Division. As a result, the Wolves now field four full Brigades in addition to a large pool of reserves and support units. The First, Second and Third Brigades all feature Battle Armour infantry and Omnimechs (including the largest concentration of the Celestial Series) while the Fourth Brigade relies on Conventional Mechs and Infantry.

Alpha Brigade – Dire Wolves
1st   Striker Regiment
13th   Guard Regiment
3rd   Battle Regiment

Bravo Brigade – Savage Wolves
9th   Support Regiment
17th   Light Regiment
4th   Assault Regiment

Charlie Brigade – Werewolves
19th   Striker Regiment
24th   Guard Regiment
40th   Battle Regiment

Delta Brigade – Wolf Spiders
33rd   Support Regiment
10th   Striker Regiment
25th   Battle Regiment

Gamma Brigade – Den Guards
24th   Support Regiment
37th   Support Regiment

In addition to these forces, the 1st Division also has the Sovetskii Soyuz class Heavy Cruiser TSS Kharkov permanently assigned to it, one of only a handful of divisions to have integral WarShip support.
The 1st Division has maintained its elite edge through the creation of a ‘Feeder’ unit. Dubbed the Wolf Dragoons and comprising a Brigade of regiments modelled on 6th Divisions ‘Dragoon’ Regiments, recruits who show promise are ‘adopted’ into the unit, where they are trained by 1st Division troops who are approaching the end of their service. In this way, skills and tactical knowledge is passed from one generation to the next.

Total forces: 948 Mechs; 384 Vehicles; 1332 Battle Armour Troops; 1680 Conventional Infantry; 156 Fighters
Breakdown: 41%; 17%; 19%; 10%; 13%
9 Battlemech; 4 Armour; 4 Battle Armour; 2+ Infnatry Regiments; 3 Aerospace Regiments
« Last Edit: 26 November 2014, 20:38:29 by DarthRads »

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 26 November 2014, 19:41:45 »
Yes, I know the Wolves are the biggest Division.

This is because they are 'Kerensky's' own unit, the 'absorbed' the widowmaker survivors, allowing them to expand and there is no 'Refusal War' to gut either them or the Falcons or create Exiles and so on.

As far as Clan Rivalries go, I imagine it being more like interservice competition, played out both on the regular battlefield and every 4 years in a Martial Olympiad style event.

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 27 November 2014, 17:02:35 »
I have begun tidying my notes and the short writeups given here into a word document. I was thinking about copying some pictures from Sarna to give the final draft a more 'sourcebook' feel...

So far I have neatened up the over view of the Kerensky Reforms, Regimental Descriptions and a couple of Division entries...

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 28 November 2014, 20:56:32 »
And here is Clan Steel Viper...I mean 9th Division (Viper's Venom)

9th Division - Viper's Venom
Known for their brutal training regime, modelled on the old Star League Gunslinger program, the warriors of the 9th Division are perhaps the most lethal marksmen within the Royal Guards, perhaps even all of known space. So consistently did 9th Division outperform other units, that the Gunslinger program was re-activated and many other divisions began to adopt the training practices of the Vipers in some way.

On a command level, the 9th emphasizes a clear delegation of authority and well-defined areas of operations. The General lays out the grand strategy of a campaign while each Colonel is free to then form the strategic command of each operation and delegate tactical responsibilities to his Battalion and Company Commanders. The effect is that individual commanders are given considerable leeway in how they complete their objectives. The effect is that individual commanders are given considerable leeway in how they complete their objectives however it can leave the 9th vulnerable to Head Hunter operations, should senior command be incapacitated then cooperation breaks down and individual units can be isolated and destroyed in force.

Tactically, units rely on maneuverability and firepower, with many battle plans centered around these concepts. One particular battlefield maneuver involves splitting a force into three smaller units with two attacking different points along an enemy line , should a break then occur, the third combat element rushes into the gap. A second tactic splits the Viper force into two, half of which pins down the enemy while the second flanks and envelops their position. Once in place the entire force begins circling the enemy, slowly reducing the size of the envelopment and restricting not only the enemy's ability to maneuver but to concentrate fire on a specific target.

UNIQUE FORMATION - Phalanx Regiments
In addition to the standard regimental formations, the 9th makes use of an infantry-heavy formation they have dubbed a Phalanx. Each of the Phalanx regiments (of which there are 4, making up 40% of the 9ths total Strength) comprises 2 Companies Mechs, 2 Vehicles, 8 companies of Regular Infantry and six fighters. The large number of infantry allow the 9th to attack over a wide front and encircle their foes as is their favoured tactic.

Alpha Brigade
6th   Guard Regiment
2nd   Phalanx Regiment
13th   Striker Regiment
4th   Phalanx Regiment

Bravo Brigade
21st   Assault Regiment
11th   Battle Regiment
1st   Phalanx Regiment

Charlie Brigade
2nd   Battle Regiment
3rd   Phalanx Regiment
12th   Battle Regiment

Approximate Equivalent Strength: 5 Battlemech Regiments; 2 Armour Regiments; 2 Battle Armour Regiments; 4 Infantry Regiment; 1 Fighter Regiments.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #58 on: 29 November 2014, 16:55:18 »
Kinda stealing some of the Scorpions thunder there, aren't they? Marksmanship was one of their 'things'.

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 29 November 2014, 22:18:32 »
Kinda stealing some of the Scorpions thunder there, aren't they? Marksmanship was one of their 'things'.

And it still is. But the write up for the vipers in the various spurcebooks talk about their brutal training regime and them challenging Scorpions to marksmanship competitions, so I worked it in.

Register