Author Topic: Fragged (Ongoing Writings and an Index of Sigil's Works)  (Read 56882 times)

David CGB

• Lieutenant
Re: Fragged (Collected Short Stories and Orphaned Writings)
« Reply #30 on: 12 May 2015, 15:56:24 »
great stuff
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Sigil

• Lieutenant
Iktomi - Chapter 3
« Reply #31 on: 12 June 2015, 05:54:19 »
Chapter 3

Kessel
Lyran Commonwealth
11 April 2866

Hauptman Rachel Kamau allowed herself a rare smile in the cockpit of her 75-ton MAD-3R Marauder.  The recon lance had done their job in spades, not only locating the advance guard of the DCMS force, but also pulling off their screen and destroying it.  It was far more than she had hoped for, especially for what she had thought, at least until now, as a sink lance. 

Leutnant Fox wasn’t exactly command material and when she’d seen him last, he’d been nursing one helluva hangover.  He’d looked so bad she’d almost pulled him from the line.  Leutnant Jackson wasn’t much better.  He spent most of his time doodling in his sketchbook and he made no bones about having been forced to become MechWarrior.  Dances-with-Water was a barely literate savage from the primitive outback of Syrma, a planet with a reputation for harboring numerous anti-technology enclaves.  And Roberts was a common criminal who’d volunteering to join the LCAF instead of doing hard time for a string of petty crimes.

In fact, the more she thought about it, the more she began to understand just why exactly the Kommandant had chosen her company for this assignment.  They were expendable.  She didn’t have a drop of blue blood in her, unlike most of the other commanders.  She had fought her way tooth and nail just to reach Hauptman but even she realized that was likely the end of the line.  She’d never make Kommandant or higher without some kind of political connection or money.

Then she gave one of her famous predatory grins.  If Ross was right and this was the opening salvo of the Third Succession War, there was always the chance for a battlefield promotion.  While ability didn’t seem to count for much in the LCAF during peacetime, it had to count for something during war.

Keying her Dalban Micronics, she began issuing orders.  “All units.  Line abreast.  50 meter spacing.  Royals anchor the ends.  Sauce, take rear guard.  Heading 280.  Steady advance at 50 kph.  It’s time to go and say hello.”

To her right, her XO, First Leutnant Willard Mendez, matched her stride in his ZEU-6S Zeus, the sole assault-class BattleMech in her company.  Next to him were Billie’s Archer and Chris in his 65-ton Crusader, representing the bulk of her fire support. 

Both ends of her line of battle were anchored by the “Royal” sisters, Darby Curtis and Leslie Cooper, in their GRF-1N Griffins.  It had started as a joke.  It was well known that the Archon’s Throne in the Royal Court on Tharkad was guarded by a pair of Griffins and the two women looked so much alike it was easy to imagine they were related.  The name had stuck and the two women had even gone so far as to paint tiaras encircling the sky blue disc with yellow sun and cloud insignia that marked them as members of the Skye Rangers.

Off to her left, Leutnant Amy Sullivan rumbled ahead in her TDR-5S Thunderbolt.  Behind her ranged Alfredo “Sauce” Jimenez in his fleet Phoenix Hawk.  He’d plug whatever holes might develop in their line and lend support wherever it might be needed.

Her Dalban HiRez showed the DCMS forces hastily forming defensive lines as they detected her approach, breaking off their plodding pursuit of her scout lance.  To say it was a target rich environment would be something of an understatement.  Galleons, Scorpions, and Bulldogs made an armored wedge in front of the Goblins and tracked APCs carrying the infantry.  All told it was easily a reinforced company of armor backed by another two companies of mechanized infantry.

But what really caught her attention were the two BattleMechs with them, a Dragon and a Shadow Hawk.  They could handle the armor and the infantry was no problem at all, but the presence of the two ’Mechs complicated things a bit.

She flipped over to the battalion net.  “Romeo-Kilo to Romeo-Alpha.  Tally One-Six armor.  Id Galleon, Scorpion, Bulldog, Goblin.  Tally Two-Zero tracked APCs.  Tally Two BattleMechs.  Id Dragon.  Id Shadow Hawk.  Estimate battalion strength.  Request Angel One and Two.  Grid Reference Three-Five-Six-One-Nine-Seven.  Moving to engage now.  Acknowledge.  Over.”

“This is Romeo-Alpha-Actual.  Releasing Angel One and Two.  Scrambling Angel Three and Four.  Acknowledge.  Out.”

Scant seconds later a new voice greeted her in the cockpit of her Marauder.  Smooth but with a bit of a twang she recognized it instantly.  Hauptman Angus McCloud, the squadron commander for the Eight Skye Rangers.  She smiled.  The Kommandant had kept his promise. 

“Angel One here.  Nothing I like better than clear skies and a target rich environment.  Looks like I owe you one Romeo-Kilo.  Proceeding to Three-Five-Six-One-Nine-Seven now.   Playtime five minutes.  Estimate two passes.  Any requests?  Over.”

Kamau laughed.  “Just strafe their formation.  The Snakes have a couple BattleMechs mixed in with their armor, but I don’t see any dedicated AA platforms.  Ought to be a walk in the park for you.  Glad I could provide you with a bit of entertainment.  After your first run, make a quick circuit.  I don’t want to any uninvited guests spoiling our little party.  Engaging now.  Out.”

As they advanced within a kilometer of the enemy force, she returned her Micronics to the company command frequency.

“All units prepare to engage at 600 meters.  Target the Bulldogs first.  Out.”

The laser rangefinder slowly marked her progress as it counted down the range.  The Combine forces, for their part, seemed content to let them advance across the rocky badlands.

At 600 meters, the ’Mechs on either side of her vomited forth a combined volley of 120 long range missiles.  A split second later the lance of Bulldogs along with the Dragon and Shadow Hawk launched their own missiles, crisscrossing the sky with the entrails of their own combined salvo of 95 missiles.

Her Marauder shuddered briefly as a half dozen warheads cratered her ’Mech’s Valiant Lamellor armor but her eyes remained fixed on the 60-ton Combine Dragon.  Both of her Magna Hellstar PPCs glowed green on her HUD as she emerged from the cloud of smoke and shrapnel, a distant fireball already marking the death of the first of Combine Bulldog.

As her rangefinder scrolled past 540 meters, she triggered both arm-mounted cannons, bracing herself for the flood of excess heat that was certain to follow.  The two massive streams of charged particles slammed into the Combine ’Mech just as it returned fire with it Imperator-A medium autocannon.  A stream of slugs chewed its way up her left leg causing her to stumble for just a second, but the Dragon was jerked violently off to its left by the dual PPC impacts, sending it staggering.

A second salvo of long range missiles crisscrossed the sky as her lancemate’s launchers recycled, and it was obvious from the number coming back at them that they now held a decisive advantage in numbers.  The crack of autocannons from the Scorpions added to the cacophony of the battlefield and she saw the PPCs from the Royal sisters anchoring their flanks now being added to the fray. 

Again her ’Mech was rocked by a flight of LRMs, but few were the ’Mechs that carried more armor then her MAD-3R.  A second, then third fireball erupted from the Combine lines as two more Bulldogs went up in flames destroyed by their hail of missiles and causing the lance of Goblins to finally break from their defensive position.  Unlike the Scorpion, its primary weapon was a heavy laser, and while giving it a bigger punch, it lacked the range of the autocannon, a fact she planned on exploiting.

“Maintain 500 meters.  Billie, you finish off that last Bulldog.  Willy, you can play with the Shadow Hawk.  I’ve got the Dragon.  All remaining units target the Goblins.  Out.”

Her attention was drawn back to the Dragon as another stream of slugs stitched across her chest.  “Damn the heat!” she screamed as she sent her dual Hellstars tearing once more into the Dragon obliterating over a ton of armor in the blink of an eye, but it was as if someone had opened an oven door in her cockpit.  Her ’Mech slowed as the myomer muscles began to weaken from the thermal buildup her over taxed heatsinks were unable to shunt away.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Willy’s Zeus shift directions, unleashing his arm mounted Coventry Star Fire LRM-15 as he moved to engage the Kurita Shadow Hawk.  The Dragon staggered a second time, once again keeping on its feet, refusing to go down.  Behind it another explosion marked the death of the last Bulldog at the hands of Billy’s matched Doombud LRM-20s.

Cannon fire from the Combine tanks filled the battlefield even as she realized the Goblins were getting dangerously close to her position.  A quick glance at her tactical revealed, with the exception of Willy, the rest of until was falling back to keep the Dracs at distance.

Slamming her throttle into reverse, she tracked the Dragon with her GM Whirlwind autocannon, sending a line of armor piercing rounds deep into its left arm.  A shower of sparks flew from around its shoulder, leaving the arm dangling uselessly at its side.  But the Combine pilot was good.  He returned the favor, continuing to chisel away at her diminishing armor with a combination of autocannon and LRM fire.  A series of missiles exploded all across the line of advancing Goblins courtesy of the companions behind her, blowing the tracks off one, but the other three 45-ton medium tanks continued trundling ahead. 

To make matters worse, a full company of Scorpions broke from their positions, forming a trio of wedges as they too started advancing on her position.  Behind them numerous APCs idled, but she caught glimpses of infantryman hastily loading into the armored carriers as they prepared to move.

Then the Dragon demanded her attention once more as it’s autocannon stitched a line across her chest, six of it’s LRMs blasting another series of craters across her armor.  Grimacing through the soaring temperatures of her cockpit, she triggered both Hellstars at the Combine ’Mech.  The first penetrated its chest, sending a gush of green coolant cascading to the ground as the second burned a hole straight through the autocannon housed in its right arm.  She’d hurt it this time. 

The temperature sensor spiked as her Marauder slowed even more, it’s movement sluggish and drunk as its muscles lost more their effectiveness.  The reticle of her Dalban Hirez skipped across her HUD as another wave of heat struck her with physical force.  Warnings began flashing, joined by a screeching klaxon.  A spear of light flashed along her right side, then she felt the -3R’s right leg lock up.  The Bulldogs had closed, bringing their heavy lasers into the fray and she suddenly found herself dangerously outgunned.

At least two of the advancing Scorpions were targeting her well, a pair of their armor piercing rounds burrowing into her as she fought to keep her 75-ton ’Mech upright.  Then the entire scene in front of her was obscured as a huge salvo of LRMs arced over her head from behind and bore down on the Bulldogs, most of them finding their mark.  A flash of silver marked the lateral passing of a pair of heavy Chippewa AeroSpace fighters as they mercilessly strafed the lines of Scorpion tanks.  LRMs, SRMs, along with heavy and medium lasers reached out from the 90-ton fighters to wreck havoc on the Combine forces. 

A series of fireballs erupted from the Kurita line as tank after tank was destroyed by the awesome display of firepower.  Straightening her Marauder back up, the smoke cleared revealing little trace of the four Bulldogs and a full lance of the Scorpions had been reduced to burning scrap.  The remaining Combine Scorpions broke off their advance, their turrets twisting a full 180 degrees as they began racing away.  Even the Dragon was limping away.  The Shadow Hawk, however, or what was left it, lay smoking on the battlefield like a metal corpse. 

Two more rounds from the Scorpions struck her Marauder even as her matched Hellstars gutted one of the retreating Scorpions before it passed out of range.  Her vision blurred in the inferno-like cockpit, the intense heat instantaneously evaporating her sweat and sucking the moisture out of her like a deadly leech as she suddenly came to an entirely new appreciation of the particle cannon’s name.   

“All units hold position.  Do not pursue.  Repeat.  Do not pursue.  Out.”

The APCs were all in the process of turning around as well, some already racing away in the opposite direction.  It was suicide to throw infantry against BattleMechs.  Even the Dracs knew that.  The Meat held territory, the Metal took it.  Even armor was only effective en masse.  There was really only one thing that could stop a BattleMech.  Another BattleMech.

The truth was she couldn’t have pursued if she’d wanted too.  Not with the heat her Marauder had built up.  A glance at her coolant gauge showed just how much she’d burned already.  When the coolant got too hot, it had to be vented outside.  And with each cloud of coolant released, the ’Mech’s ability to dissipate heat degraded as the precious coolant was lost.

She flipped over to Hauptman McCloud’s frequency.  “Your timing couldn’t have been better, Angel One.  The Combine forces are in retreat.  We are holding position.  Make a sweep of the area and let me know if you turn up anything else.  Over.”

The Hauptman was chuckling as he answered.  “I aim to please and I always hit my target.  Commencing sweep now.  Will keep you advised.  Out.”

As the Combine forces continued to retreat, she looked to the condition of her own unit.  “Status by the numbers.  Over.”

---

Kommandant Ross glared at the primary tactical display on the bridge of Dauntless, his battalion’s Overlord-class DropShip.  Even as the mauled Drac battalion withdrew, two more Kurita formations had altered course and were even now closing on Hauptman Kamau’s command.

But it was the third that really concerned him.  Angling across from well below her current position, it was on a course that would put it between her and his DropShip, effectively cutting her off and leaving her surrounded.  She’d definitely succeeded in her mission, more in fact, by drawing the attention of an entire regiment away from their evacuation zone and buying them the time they needed to get cleanly off planet.

“Call all the pickets in.  Tell Echo Base to pull stakes and make best possible speed to the departure zone.  Prepare Angel Four and Five for operations.  Notify me when they’re ready.  Patch me into Colonel Muir.”

Long seconds later the corpulent face of the Colonel appeared looking quite pleased as Alan addressed him.  “Colonel Muir.  Hauptman Kamau is in danger of being cut off and surrounded.  Request permission to release the remainder of 3rd battalion to establish a safe corridor for her return.”

The Colonel’s smile waivered, replaced with a scowl.  “Permission denied, Kommandant Alan.  I will not throw good ’Mechs after bad.  Let me remind you of my orders.  We are to withdraw to Dromini VI in good order and I fully expect to have my force intact when we arrive.  The loss of a company of ’Mechs is certainly regrettable but acceptable.  If, for whatever reason, they can’t make it back to the LZ by zero hour, you are to launch without them.  Acknowledge.”

Alan hadn’t expected anything different from the Old Man, but he had to ask, if for his own conscience if nothing else.  Still, it was a bitter pill to swallow.  And probably just the first of many he’d have to swallow before this war was over.  The Snakes certainly looked like they meant business, and even he had to admit the forces arrayed against them were insurmountable.  At least here and for now.  Once they linked up with the Fifteenth on Dromini, things would be different. 

Things had better be different.

“Acknowledged, Colonel.  I’ve already ordered the pickets in and Echo Base is returning now.  Third Battalion will be ready for liftoff as scheduled at 14:50.  Over.”

The Colonel’s face softened slightly.  “Good.  Once we get to Dromini, I’ll see if I can make good your losses, Kommandant.  Out.”

---
« Last Edit: 28 July 2015, 13:16:47 by Sigil »

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 12 June 2015, 20:26:53 »
The Dracs are not happy.
The Hauptman will be in a worse frame of mind shortly.
Great stuff.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
Iktomi - Chapter 4
« Reply #33 on: 28 July 2015, 07:47:31 »
Chapter 4

Kessel
Lyran Commonwealth
11 April 2866

“Angel One to Romeo-Kilo.  Electronic ID on a large formation of unidentified units.  Heading 120.  Approximate speed 50 kph.  Grid Reference Three-Five-Six-One-Eight-Three.  Repeat.  Grid Reference Three-Five-Six-One-Eight-Three.  Estimate battalion strength.  Do you want me to conduct a visual?  Over.”

Hauptman Kamau scowled at her Dalban Micronics as if it were to blame for the bad news.  With the exception of Leutnant Fox’s Firestarter and Dancer’s Spider, the rest of the ’Mechs in her company had only suffered light damage.  But what was really troubling her was their ammunition situation.  Or, to be more specific, their lack of ammunition.  Most of her units were running at about 50% and if they were forced into another engagement it was practically a certainty their bins would run dry, and given the damage they had already taken, losses would mount, and mount quickly.

“This is Romeo-Kilo.  Negative on the visual, Angel-One.  Finish your sweep and keep me posted.  Out.”

Pulling up the preloaded topographical maps and punching in the grid coordinates, she noted the Combine forces were a good fifteen kilometers away.  At their current speed, that would put the bulk of the force, assuming it was similar in composition to the one they’d just encountered, somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes away.  If they detached their lead elements, possibly under 10. 

Assuming she stayed still.

She could match their speed and force a chase.  If she moved directly opposite their line of advance she could draw it out for an hour or possibly even longer.  It was doubtful she could lose them, but once she reached the umbrella of the DropShip support they’d almost certainly break off.  Likely two or three kilometers before even reaching the DropShips.  Thought ought to buy the Colonel enough time.

She was just about to start issuing orders to return when Kommandant Alan’s voice came over the Micronics.

“This is Romeo-Alpha-Actual to Romeo-Kilo.  Come to a heading of 330.  Make best possible speed towards Grid Reference Three-Five-Six-One-Eight-Three.   Locate unidentified force and report.  Likely hostile.  No friendly elements known to be in the area.  Coordinate with Angel Three and Four for air support.    Acknowledge.  Over.”
Her eyebrows furrowed.  A heading of 330?  That would take them further away from the Dauntless, not closer.  Her unit wasn’t exactly fast, either.  They were cutting it close as it was.  If they turned back now, they would only make zero hour by 30 minutes at the most.  If they got into a prolonged engagement, or if the Combine forces made any attempt to evade, they would almost certainly not make it back in time.

She smelled a rat.  Actually, she’d never stopped smelling it ever since Alan had given her this assignment.  Time to find out just how bad the stink really was.
“Permission to reload at Echo Base before proceeding to locate unidentified force.  Munitions levels are under 50%.  Over.”

“Permission denied.  Echo Base has already pulled stakes and is returning to the coop.  Repeat.  Come to a heading of 330.  Make best possible speed towards Three-Five-Six-One-Eight-Three.   Locate unidentified force and report.  Acknowledge.  Over.” 

Part of it broke her heart.  He was giving her the straight business, his voice short, curt and clipped.  Not that she had expected any sentimentality but it was rapidly becoming obvious she was the sacrificial lamb. 

She shook her head.  No, not just her.  Everyone in her company was being put on the block.  There was probably a formula for it in one of the war manuals.  A dispassionate equation that spat out how many lives were worth how much time.  Likely right next to the “acceptable losses” and “collateral damage” calculations. 

But she was too much of a professional solider to honestly consider doing anything other than following orders.  She demanded it of her own people so it was only fair she give the same to her superior officer.

“Acknowledged.  Switching to heading 330.  Proceeding to Three-Five-Six-One-Eight-Three.  ETA 15 minutes.  Leutnant Fox is WIA.  Leutnant Jackson’s Vulcan and Dancer’s Spider have heavy damage.  Request permission to evac Fox and send the scout lance back to the Dauntless.  Over.”

“Permission granted Romeo-Kilo.  Out.”

Bastard.  She should have known better than to get involved with her superior.  Well, at least they all wouldn’t die. 

Dialing in her company frequency she began issuing orders.

---

Hauptman Angus McCloud’s eyes whipped over to the tactical display projected on the HUD of his 90-ton Chippewa as a new series of yellow dots appeared. Two, three, six, then eight.  He’d have to get closer before his Rander TA5 would be able to give him an identification, but it was almost a certainty it was another DCMS unit. 

Pulling gently back and to the side of his control stick, he began to gain altitude even as he banked towards the new contacts.  Behind him, his wingmate did the same, maintaining perfect formation and following his lead without question.

“Romeo-Kilo this is Angel One.  I’ve got a preliminary contact with a second unidentified force.  Grid Reference Three-Five-Six-Two-Zero-Seven.  Repeat.  Three-Five-Six-Two-Zero-Seven.  I’m going in for a closer look.  Standby.”

Kamau’s grim voice responded barely a second later.  “You know Angel One, I used to enjoy hearing from you.  Now you just keep bringing me bad news.  I am proceeding to Three-Five-Six-One-Eight-Three under orders to locate the first force you spotted.  Now you tell me there’s a second one out there?  At this rate I’m going to stop taking your calls.  Where are Angel Three and Four?”

McCloud laughed, his eyes beaming.  “Hey, not so fast!  Have you already forgotten those strafing runs I just did for you?”

Kamau’s voice turned serious.  “That’s old news.  I got new problems.  I’ve lost 25% of my unit, the rest have taken damage, were starting to run low on ammunition, and I got one, now two, pissed off Drac units, plus whatever is left of that first one, looking for revenge.  I’ll be lucky to make it through the next engagement.  So, yes, frankly, I don’t care what you’ve done for me in the past, I’m only interested in what you’re going to do for me now.”     

McCloud grimaced.  She was in a tough spot already and the noose was only getting tighter.  “Tell you what I’ll do.  I’ll make a pass or two over them and force them to break up their formation and maybe even let the smoke out of a few of them.  That ought to slow them down and give you a bit more time.  Would that return me to your good graces?”

There was just a hint of relief in her voice as she answered.  “I need all the help I can get Angel One.  Thanks.  But it won’t be your name I’m cursing when I die if that’s what your worried about.”

“So you’ll go out with me tonight?  I know this great little café on the Dauntless and rumor has it you and Kommandant are over.”

That managed to get a laugh out of her.  “Just get me Angel Three and Four, would you?  I’ve got a feeling I’m going to need them soon.  Keep me advised.  Romeo-Kilo out.”

---

Alfredo “Sauce” Jimenez was the first to locate the Combine unit they’d been sent to find.  Ranging out in front of the main body in his fleet footed Phoenix Hawk, the fact was his Tek Tru-Trak was every bit as good a tracking system, if not better, than her own Dalban Hirez. 

The Royal sisters had returned to their accustomed positions guarding the flanks, and she, her XO Willy on one side and Leutnant Sullivan on the other, anchored the center of their small formation.  Billy’s Archer and Chris’s Crusader followed immediately behind.

“Jimenez reporting.  ID two Harassers.  Two Galleons.  Four J. Edgars.  Locust.  Wasp.  Looks like a screen for a larger force.  Over.”

Kamau took a deep breath.  “All units come to heading of 15.  Sauce, keep me advised.  I’m willing to bet they want to play.  Let’s draw it out as long as we can.  Out.”

Next, she dialed in Angel Three and Four.  “Romeo-Kilo to Angel Three and Four.  Unidentified force in Grid Reference Three-Five-Six-One-Eight-Two.  We are changing our heading to 15.  Standby.  Acknowledge.  Over.”

“Angel Three here.  Acknowledge force in Five-Six-One-Eight-Two.  Awaiting your instructions.  Out.”

With a deft movement, she brought her Marauder around to the new heading, her Hirez showing the rest of her unit doing the same.  There was little doubt they would move to intercept, but she wasn’t exactly eager for a fight.  Not now anyway, given their condition.

As her war machine strode across the rocky badlands, Sauce came back at her.  “The unidentified force is accelerating.  Now heading 100.  Looks like an intercept course.  Pretty sure their hostile.”

Kamau snarled in the privacy of her cockpit.  Of course they were hostile.  It was a sham to pretend anything else.  They were only LCAF ground forces still deployed on the entire forsaken planet.

“Romeo-Kilo to Romeo-Alpha.  Enemy force located in Three-Five-Six-One-Eight-Two.  They are moving to intercept us.  Advise.  Over.”

As if she didn’t know what he was going to say next.  She rolled her eyes, and shaking her head waited for the inevitable.

---

Hauptman Angus McCloud watched as the DCMS battalion began scattering as his 90-ton Chippewa screamed past them far overhead.  Pulling back on his control stick, he rolled his fighter even as he rapidly increasing his angle of attack.  Seconds later the stall warning began flashing as he prepared to dive down on the enemy force. 

Using thrust vectoring, he coned to a new direction and lowering his nose accelerated with an intensity that physically crushed him against his flight couch.   

“Angel Two follow me in.  Commencing run now.  Out.”

His dual Exostar LRM-15s fired first, thirty long range missiles exploding across a line of Tokugawa heavy tanks.  Next came his McCorkel heavy lasers, savaging a pair of Galleon light tanks.  His Chippewa vibrated and bucked as the Combine forces returned fire filling the air with autocannon fire and missile entrails but he held steady, trusting to the speed of his craft and the slowness of the ground based tracking systems.  As he leveled out a scant 250 meters above the enemy forces, he let fly with his Martell mediums and the Exostar SRM-6 ripping apart a series of tracked APCs.

His Chippewa shuttered violently as the aileron on his left wing took a direct hit from one of the angry tanks below forcing him to fight to maintain control. 

And then he was past.  Pulling back, he sent his craft climbing back into the sky and out of range of the return fire as he turned back towards the Dauntless. 

“Angel Two.  Report.  Over.”

“Scattered like leaves.  It ought to take them some time to sort themselves back out and get moving again.  I’ll have to check the holo-vids, but I’d say 5 destroyed as many damaged between the two of us.  Not a bad day’s work, Hauptman.  Over.”

McCloud shook his head.  His work was done.  He’d done everything he could for Kamau.  He’d bought her the most precious commodity of all. 

Time.

“Returning to the Dauntless.  Out.” 

---

Kommandant Ross watched the tactical as well over a regiment of DCMS forces altered their heading to pursue Hauptman Kamau’s small command.  They were now all heading away from Eighth’s evacuation zone.

And leaving her hopelessly cut-off.  But there was nothing for it.  She had to keep pulling them away so the Eighth could leave in good order.  Trading time for lives.

“Romeo-Kilo.  Switch to a heading of 30.  Maximum speed.  Evade as long as possible then engage.  Acknowledge.  Over.”

He’d already resigned himself to the grisly outcome. 

She had to know it too.

---

Sigil

• Lieutenant
Iktomi - Chapter 5
« Reply #34 on: 28 July 2015, 07:51:59 »
Chapter 5

Hauptman Rachel Kamau pursed her lips and nodded her head.  He was sending them out into no-man’s land.  All pretense was gone.  She wasn’t going to be leaving Kessel.  A part of her had argued that there was still a slim chance they could make it out of this and get back to the LZ in time, but it was foolish to think that now. 

“Acknowledged Romeo-Alpha.  Out.”

There just wasn’t any more to say.

“Romeo-Kilo to Angel Three and Four.  Engage enemy force.  Give me two passes if you can.  We are switching to a heading of 30 and attempting to evade.”

---

Leutnant  Purcell’s eyes snapped to his tactical as a chirping sound alerted him to a new contact.  Jeb’s lightning fast 20-ton Seydlitz was in front and off to his right as they prepared to engage the Combine ground forces.

A split second later, a second red triangle appeared after the first, followed a moment later with a preliminary identification.  Two 65-ton Shilone aerospace fighters.  Heavily armored, each carried a LRM-20 along with an array of lasers.  He grit his teeth.  They were tough capable fighters and the truth was they outclassed even his Lucifer and Jeb’s light fighter wouldn’t stand a chance against their heavy firepower.

“Angel Three to Romeo-Kilo.  Tally two inbound aerospace fighters.  ID Shilone.  ID Shilone.  They are moving to intercept.  I can give you one ground pass.  After that I’ll try to pull them away from you as we return to the Coop.  Over.”

---

Kamau blinked involuntarily as the latest bad news arrived.  So, the Dragon had finally decided to contest the air as well as the ground.  This was it.  The last thing she needed was to get caught out in the open by a flight of heavy fighters.  The time for running was over.  It was time to do her duty.  Time for all of them to do their duty.  And if she turned around now, there was still a slim chance that at least one of them could make it out alive.

“Romeo-Kilo.  Acknowledged, Angel Three.  Give us what you can and good luck.  I’m moving to engage now.”

She flipped the Mironics over the company command frequency.  “All units.  Come to Heading 260.  Wedge.  30 meter spacing.  I’ll take point.  Royals anchor the wings.  Billie, I want you and Chris in the center behind me on fire support.  Sauce, maintain lead until within one klick of the enemy, and then fall back.  All units prepare to engage.”

Next, she dialed in Sauce’s private frequency.  “Listen, Sauce.  When things start to collapse, if you think you can make a clean break, go for it.  Your Hawk is the only ‘Mech left that’s got a chance of making it out of here and getting back to the LZ.  There’s already enough of us playing hero.  Got it?”

Alfredo “Sauce” Jimenez took a long, deep breath before responding.  It was one thing to know you might die, that was true in any battle.  But it was another thing entirely to hear your CO say it and then tell you to save yourself if you can.

“Is it really that bad, Rach?”

“Actually, it’s worse.  There another formation SSW of us, and another in our rear.  There’s no way in hell we’re walking out of this, Sauce.  And the truth is, even if we all turned around now and hightailed it back to the LZ, you’re the only one fast enough to even stand a chance of making it before Ross lifts off.  We’re the walking dead now.”

Jimenez just stared at his BattleCom digesting what he’d just heard.  Walking dead.  She was just trying to salvage what she could as this point, which explained why she’d let the scout lance go earlier.  It was a bitter pill to swallow. 

His lancemates, Darby, Leslie, and Amy.  He’d just abandon them?  And the rest of the company as well?  That wasn’t right, was it?  What the hell was going on here?  They were trained soldiers, not some pack of kamikaze fanatics bent on taking down as many of the enemy as they could before blowing themselves up!  The Hauptman was a professional, wasn’t she?

“Dammit, Sauce!  Ross has hung us out to dry under orders from the Colonel.  We’re buying time with our lives.  You understand me?  Get out if you get the chance.  That’s a direct order!  Acknowledge.”

His hands shaking, he slowly nodded.  “Acknowledged.  If I get the chance, I’ll take it.”

---

“Angel Three to Romeo-Kilo.  ID Daimyo HQ.  Repeat.  ID Daimyo HQ.   Estimate battalion strength.  Tally Four BattleMechs.  ID Warhammer.  ID Dragon.  ID Charger.  ID Panther.  Tally One-Nine armor.  ID Tokugawa.  ID Scorpion.  ID Goblin.  ID Harasser.  ID J. Edgar.  ID Goblin.  ID Partisan.  ID Von Luckner.  Tally One-Two tracked APCs.  Targeting the HQ.  Engaging now.” 

Lt. Purcell watched as Jeb rolled his SL-21 over and began to dive down on the DCMS formation.  The light aerospace fighter was fast, one of the fastest ever made and he had it wide open.  Jeb’s job was not to engage as much as it was to pull enemy fire away from his Lucifer.  With a pair of 80-ton anti-aircraft Partisan heavy tanks and a Von Luckner guarding the mobile headquarters, to say nothing of the rest of the battalion, it was going to be a hairy ride.  Attacking at all was undoubtedly high risk, but the opportunity to take out a DCMS Tai-sa was too tempting. 
Besides, Hauptman Kamau was out there too, facing odds just as bad if not worse than these.  How could he do any less?  With a firm push on his control stick, he banked sharply, preparing to follow the Seydlitz in.

The main body of the DCMS formation was screened by a series of light hover tanks, behind them the lance of BattleMechs.  A company of armor was circled around the Daimyo with the tracked APCs trundling along in the rear.

Purcell watched as the air above the Kurita battalion filled with flak as the two Partisans opened up first tracking the racing Seydlitz, followed by the contrails of what seemed liked hundreds of LRMs.

“Angel Four.  Taking heavy fire.”

His sight was obscured as he dove down into the cloud of exploding long range missiles and shrapnel.  His Lucifer bucked and jerked and suddenly eleven tons of armor didn’t seem all that much as his fighter began to take damage.  It was already obvious all he would get was one pass.  Even if there weren’t two incoming Shilones, the return fire was simply too heavy to risk another pass.

One eye on the altimeter, the other on his targeting reticle, he waited to descend below the level of the smoke.  Ahead of him a huge fireball briefly illuminated the sky and again his fighter was tossed about by another heavy burst of shrapnel.  His armor was slowly but surely being eaten away but miraculously all of the control surfaces were still undamaged.

Then he saw it.  Similar to a massive tractor trailer with a satellite dish and radar arrays atop it, the Daimyo HQ was 50-tons of the finest command, control and communications gear available.  Weighing twice that of the traditional, and increasingly rare, SLDF mobile command post, it was slightly slower and much more heavily armed and armored.  It was capable of coordinating operations across an entire planet and the LCAF had long wanted to capture one.  Reputed to contain a holotank capable of providing a real-time tactical feed of the battlefield to commanders, it was reserved for use by only the highest ranking DCMS officers.

The two Partisans were now blazing away at him.  A quick glance around revealed no sign of Jeb’s Seydlitz.  Six separate streams of autocannon fire ripped into his frame as even more passed narrowly over his wings.  Finally he unleashed his own firepower just as the Von Luckner fired another salvo of LRMs.  Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the surrounding Tokugawas, Scorpions, and Goblins all slewing their turrets towards him as they tried draw a bead on him.

Twin nose mounted Maxell large lasers led the way for his massive Holly LRM-20 rack and a fraction of second later the entire top of the Daimyo was covered in explosions, but still he feared it wasn’t going to be enough.  The ground rushed up towards him as the altimeter zoomed down.  With a white knuckled grip on the control stick he prepared to fire his final short ranged weapons. 

Four wing mounted small lasers.  It wasn’t a lot, but it just might make the difference.  The top of the Daimyo was burning furiously and the vehicle was drifting to a stop as he fired the four small lasers.  At the same time, at least one of the Tokugawas nailed his right wing with its heavy autocannon, blowing one the control flap clean off. 

Purcell screamed as he felt control of his craft slipping away.  With no altitude to recover, he knew it was a fatal hit.  A second later his left wing clipped the ground sending his Luficfer pin wheeling across the ground as it disintegrated into fire and burning metal.

---

Through the glassteel canopy of her Marauder, Hauptman Kamau could see multiple pillars of smoke slowly drifting into the sky ahead of her marking the location of the DCMS forces.  The rest of her company was in formation behind her, maintaining a steady advance.  A pair of Eighth Skye Rangers aerospace fighters had raced over their heads only moments before.

“Angel Three.  Sitrep.  Over.”

She double checked the frequency on her Dalban Micronics.  It was set correctly.

“Angel Four.  Sitrep.  Over.”

“Angel Three.  Angel Four.  Sitrep.  Acknowledge.  Over.”

Nothing.

Jimenez broke over the company command frequency.  “I had them both on the Tru-Trak right up until they engaged, then they both disappeared.”  He paused a moment then added hopefully, “Maybe they’re flying low, below my scanners.”

Or maybe they’re both dead, Kamau thought grimly to herself.  “Sauce, what about those two Shilones?  Do you have anything on them yet?”

Another short pause.  “Nothing yet, Rach.  I’ll let you know when I get something.  Wait, hang on a sec.”

The seconds dragged interminably by.  “No, not the Shilones, but I’ve got the lead elements of the Dracs now.  Looks like they’ve stopped advancing and are holding their position.  I show a line abreast.  Four Tokugawas, four Scorpions, four Goblins, a lance of BattleMechs anchoring the center, and four hover tanks on the left flank.  The Daimyo and the heavy armor isn’t showing up, at least not yet.  I don’t see the APCs either.  Over.”

Even as her Marauder continued plodding ahead, Kamau considered.  The Dracs had stopped their advance.

She turned to the battalion frequency.  “Romeo-Kilo to Romeo-Alpha.  Initial contact with estimated DCMS battalion at Grid Reference Three-Five-Six-One-Eight-Two.  They are holding position.  Repeat the DCMS forces are holding position at Three-Five-Six-One-Eight-Two.  I have lost contact with Angel Three and Angel Four.  Status unknown.  No response to repeated calls.  Advise.  Over.”

If the Angels had taken out the Daimyo, likely the DCMS command circuit was in an uproar.  The Dracs were known for maintaining a strict chain of command, and individual initiative was aggressively discouraged, even punished.  It had the makings of a totally unexpected and opportune moment to slip away.  Against her will, she found herself hoping for a most unlikely reprieve.

---

Kommandant Ross Alan examined the tactical display aboard the Dauntless, his Overlord-class DropShip.  The Kurita advance on their LZ had indeed stopped.  Kamau had mauled one battalion already, and it appeared that after the loss of their Daimyo HQ, the second battalion was no longer as anxious to engage.  The third battalion, which by now had interposed itself between Kamau’s company and the Dauntless, was holding position as well. 

A grin slowly grew across his face.

“Private.  Get me the Colonel now!”

What seemed like forever, but couldn’t have been more than thirty seconds, passed before the Colonel’s familiar face appeared on the main bridge viewer.

“Colonel Muir.  We have destroyed a Daimyo HQ.  The DCMS command structure is degraded.  The Kurita advance has been stopped.  All DCMS units are now holding position.  One of the Kurita battalions is isolated.  Request permission to deploy First and Second Company and recall Third Company.  If we act now, we can trap it between our forces, destroy it and recover Third Company in the process.”

The Colonel’s jowls quivered as he replied angrily.  “Kommandant Ross, if you deploy your forces now, you will not be able to depart planet on schedule.  Which means you will not enjoy the protection of our combined aerospace fighter screen.  I will not have the Dauntless put at unnecessary risk so you can charge off and play savior.  Your repeated requests to deploy your forces are stretching my patience dangerously thin.  We are to withdraw from Kessel and link up with the Fifteenth on Dromini VI.  Request denied.”

Ross struggled to hide his anger.  “Request permission to recall Third Company, sir.”

Colonel Muir narrowed his eyes, his displeasure becoming even more obvious.  “We will depart Kessel on schedule.  If Third Company can make it back by then, fine.  If not, you WILL lift-off as planned, Kommandant.  Absolutely no exceptions or I will have your ass busted all the way back to Private before we even arrive on Dromini VI!  Is that clear?”

Ross nodded curtly.  “Yes, sir.  Understood, sir.  The Dauntless will lift off with the rest of the Eighth as scheduled, sir.  No exceptions.”

No sooner had the video link been cut, then Ross ordered the communications officer to patch him directly to a decidedly grim looking Hauptman Kamau.

“Rach!  Break contact and get your ass back here ASAP.  We lift-off at 14:50.  Be advised there is another DCMS formation at Grid Reference Three-Five-Six-Two-Zero-Seven.  Angus scattered it on his way back to the Dauntless.  Looks like they are content to stay put for the moment.  Estimate it as another combined-arms battalion.  Acknowledge.  Over.”

---

Kamau couldn’t hide the surprise on her face.  “Acknowledged.  Returning to the Dauntless.  Over and Out.” 

Angels indeed.  Angel Three and Four might just have saved a few lives by taking out that Daimyo.  In any case, being ordered back to the Dauntless certainly seemed like divine intervention to her.

She turned her Marauder around even as she examined the topographical map, accelerating the 75-ton machine to its top speed of 65 kph.  She wouldn’t make it.  She was too slow.  Sauce could make it, the Royal sisters in their Griffins would likely make it.  But the rest of them, there was just no way.  It was simple math, and math had an annoying habit of never lying. 

But Ross must know that too.  Then again, he’d recently developed this infuriating habit of issuing orders that were all but impossible to carry out, so perhaps she shouldn’t be all that surprised.  He wasn’t just stringing her along was he?  He wouldn’t dare, would he?

Without even a command, her unit was forming back up around her, accelerating, and following her new heading.  They were every bit as anxious as her to get the hell out of here.

“Ok, folks listen up.  We’re heading back to the Dauntless.  Sauce, Darby, and Leslie, get out front and make best possible speed to the LZ.  The rest of us, form up in a diamond.  I’ll take point, Willy you take the rear, Billie I want you in the center.  Amy and Chris, take the flanks.  Be advised there are hostiles in Grid Reference Three-Five-Six-Two-Zero-Seven and there’s still a pair of Shilones out there so stay sharp.”

---

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 28 July 2015, 20:15:20 »
A lucky roll of the dice.
That Daimyo probably had the invasion commander in it.
I wonder if both forces will now withdraw. O0
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 30 July 2015, 00:40:04 »
glad to see someone is still alive and typing :-)
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Sigil

• Lieutenant
Short Circuit
« Reply #37 on: 28 September 2015, 09:21:11 »
Chapter 1

Savannah
Free Worlds League

It was insanity, but that was exactly what made it so terrifyingly thrilling.  Seventy tons of prime military hardware wrapped in an ablative cocoon and thrown out of a DropShip to plunge to the surface.  A set of vanes to keep it roughly upright during the descent and a few rockets strapped on with just enough to fuel to slow the fall and allow it a chance to land without utterly destroying itself upon impact.

Armando screamed at the top of his lungs the entire way down.  As the cocoon blasted free from around his WHM-6R Warhammer, he caught his first glimpse of massive battle unfolding beneath him.  Tracer rounds from a myriad of autocannons lanced across the dark mountainous terrain of the Myoo mountain range.  Flames poured from the engines of countless missiles as they burned this way and that across the rocky and treacherous ground.  Laser beams and terrible bolts of lightning briefly illuminated the dead remains of war machines as the living sought out their next victims.

The altimeter crazily spun down and suddenly the rockets flared violently to life breaking his fall and it felt for a moment as if a giant hand was trying to crush the life out of him, grinding him down mercilessly against the command couch.  The world below rushed up to meet him as he braced himself for what seemed to be a terminal impact.

With a thunderous boom, his Warhammer landed on the rock strewn mountain, the warm, copper taste of his blood filling his mouth as the bone jarring impact caused a portion of his cheek to get caught between his own teeth.  The O/P 1500 ARB was already painting targets all over his HUD and it took only a second to realize the vast majority were outlined in Lyran blue and all to few in friendly Kurita red.

Some three hundred yards ahead a Lyran Rifleman was blazing away with its dual Imperator-A autocannons, picking off the dropping Kurita ‘Mechs before they’d even had a chance to land.  His canopy polarized instantly as he sent a pair of particle streams tearing into its right side.  Flipping over to thermal sensors, he suddenly saw a mob of infantry storming his position.  Even as the right side of the Rifleman’s chest was vaporized by the intense barrage of energy, he was raking the lines of approaching infantry with his dual SperryBrowning machine guns.  Bodies crumpled by the dozens as he ruthlessly swept back and forth across their rapidly collapsing lines.

Klaxons blared giving him just long enough to brace himself as a series of missiles arced down from somewhere blasting chunks of armor off his 70-ton war machine.  The savaged Rifleman turned its remaining autocannon at him, adding its heavy laser as well, chewing away even more of his precious armor.

More autocannon fire poured into his machine as a lance of Lyran tanks took aim at him as well.  Behind them, a Lyran Crusader and Zeus, the likely source of the missile fire, stood content to pound away at him from their current position.

He finally found the throttle, now starting to move his ‘Hammer directly towards the Lyran defensive lines.  The machine guns never stopped barking, continuing to pour fire upon the hapless infantry as he simply bulled through their shattered position.  His twin Donals sent two more bright white streams of charged particles into the one armed Rifleman and he spared it a moments more attention, just long enough to watch it crash to the ground.  His paired medium lasers and the Holly SRM-6 caught the first of the tanks on its flank, flipping it over and sending it tumbling down the mountainside until it simply exploded in a fuel induced fireball.

The first wavse of heat washed over him as he became aware of the jumble of voices one atop the other screaming from his COMSET.  “… heavy resistance… fortified pillboxes… scattered… severe losses… pulling back… regroup at…”  Then his ‘Mech was rocked by another wave of missiles from the Lyrans.  His ‘Hammer stumbled and he felt his balance slipping away as he slapped on the powerful searchlight perched atop his left shoulder.  The beam of light illuminated the narrow mountain pass he had somehow managed to land on, and he could see the steep drop into nothingness a few scant meters off to his right.

Wrenching his controls to left, he brought his machine back under control, leveling his PPCs at the wedge of tanks blocking his path.  More autocannons rounds ripped into his armor as the top of another of the Lyran tank exploded, sending the burning turret shooting off into the darkness.  Twin medium lasers and a bevy of short range missiles caught the next, mangling its tracks and causing it to ground to an abrupt stop on the path.

Slamming his throttle forward, he threw himself against the Lyran armor, kicking the stationary tank and sending it over the edge of the path to meet with certain destruction.  Still his machine guns chewed away were he’d left them directed low clearing the infantry from his way forward.  The Crusader switched over to short range missiles as the Zeus added its heavy laser to its blistering autocannon fire.  Warheads detonated all across his ‘Hammer as he continued to bull his way towards them.  The damaged board showed its first sparkles of red as his Leviathan Plus was breached leaving him now vulnerable to critical damage.

He’d lost track of his heat, the cockpit was swelteringly hot and his ‘Hammer was beginning to become sluggish as the myomer muscles began to lose their effectiveness from the tremendous amounts of waste heat his arsenal generated. 

But he was through!  Ignoring the last tank, he centered his reticule over the 65-ton Crusader letting fly with everything he had.  The Donals slammed one after another into its thickly armored chest, followed by a series of laser fire and finally the stubby short range missiles.  Combined, it was simply too much damage too quickly, and the Crusader spun around crashing to the ground, down but not yet out of the fight.

But the Zeus reminded him it was very much alive as its heavy and medium laser drilled through his right leg, savaging the structure and destroying the lower leg actuator even as its autocannon chewed its way up his right arm. 

But he was through!  His right arm was all but gone now but he’d get one last blast from it.  Disengaging the PPC’s field inhibitor, he closed up on the fallen Crusader sending a lightning bolt streaking into it as it struggled to regain its feet.  He followed up immediately with his formidable short ranged weaponry, twin mediums, twin smalls, and the Holly 6-rack.  The Crusader went back down under the horrifying onslaught even as he planted his still fully functional left leg into it.  The massive force of his kick sheared off the entire right side of the ‘Mech leaving it twitching on the ground next to him.

Then the massive fist of the Zeus caught him on the right side, shattering his arm, and pounding into his chest.   He staggered hard off to the left, fighting to keep his war machine upright.

His machine guns were still firing away from where he’d set them earlier, sending tracer rounds ricocheting haphazardly across the mountainside as the Lyran assault ‘Mech came in intent on finishing him off.  He no longer noticed the blazing heat of the cockpit or the urgent screams of his fellow soldiers to withdraw, nor even the Lyran tank in his rear sending heavy autocannon rounds against his thin rear armor.

One last desperate gamble.  Dropping his left arm, he stabilized his 70-ton ‘Mech, turning to greet the lumbering Zeus.  His back was now against the mountainside, but the Lyran’s back was to the yawing black abyss.  He came up, unleashing a short range fusillade against the imposing assault ‘Mech intending to cover his move more so than damage the thickly armored BattleMech.  Leading with his left shoulder, he pounded straight into the 80-ton beast, pumping furiously with his legs.  His right leg locked up as he collided with the enemy ‘Mech but still he forced himself, willed himself, forwards. 

As he felt his momentum slow against the behemoth, he lowered his ‘Mech further down, desperately pumping away until he was practically falling into the Zeus.  He grinned crazily as he felt the Zeus begin to move backwards just slightly and then his Warhammer crashed face first into the rock strewn ground.  Whipped forward then rocked backwards, he stared in a daze out of his cockpit just in time to see the Zeus starting to slide helplessly down the rocky cliff.

As the heat began to show the first signs of subsiding, Armando rolled his damaged Warhammer over.  With one leg locked up and missing his right arm, it would be nothing short of a miracle to regain his feet.  With a sharp crack, another round from the Lyran tank ricocheted off his head, reminding him off his own precarious situation.  Propping himself up with his remaining arm, his searchlight swept once more across the mountain pass, revealing another mass of infantry preparing to storm his fallen machine.  Small arms fire and shoulder mounted missiles battered his wounded ‘Mech as he prepared to meet the next enemy onslaught.  Like a scythe, his dual machine guns cut the down the infantry even faster than they recklessly charged towards him.  He sent his remaining lasers and the shoulder mounted SRM-6 hammering into the frontal armor of the final Lyran tank. 

One of the Martells and one of the Magnas blinked offline even as his trusty SperryBrownings continued blazing away unabatedly.  His damage board was a riot of pure red now, his ‘Mech riddled with holes, its structural integrity compromised, it was on the verge of complete failure.  Still he beat away with what he had left, sending his final pair of lasers and six rack once more at the Lyran tank seeking to finish it off.   

His desperate volley paid off as the front of the Lyran tank collapsed in on itself sending the turret falling uselessly forward as the infantry abandoned their last gamble under the withering fire of his still functional heavy machine guns.

For a brief, shining moment it was calm and he became aware of the COMSET once more.  “… waypoint Lotus.  Repeat.  All units rally at waypoint Lotus.  This is Sho-sa Kieran Matsushi, acting commander.  Repeat.  All units rally at waypoint Lotus…”

---

Armando’s eyes slowly flickered open and it took him a long moment to see past the blinding, ripping headache consuming his head.  Blinking away the pain and disorientation, the first thing his eyes fixed upon was a moldering container of what once was egg foo young.  Not far from it lie yet another now empty hypodermic needle.  Grimacing, he pulled his headset off letting it slip onto the stained and stinking sheets of the pallet he used as his bed.

Letting his eyes drift across his squalid tenement, he shook his head, each moment causing new splinters of pain to shoot through his consciousness.  Across the rubbish strewn floor, he saw Amy’s prostrate form lying crumpled against an old mattress.

When had she come in?  Confusion filtered through his mind as he struggled to recall the past events of his actual life, his eyes now falling on the chronometer dutifully recording the passage of time.  10:12 a.m.

He slumped back onto the pallet.  He should have been at work an hour and half ago.  The old man would be apoplectic by now.  With great effort, he clambered to his feet, slouching his way towards the sterilization chamber in the corner.  Leaning heavily against the tiled wall, he pulled the chamber door closed, activating the combination of light, foam, and gas that would, in theory at least, kill off any number of bacteria, viruses, or other contagions that may be lurking on his clothes or body. 

Actually, what he liked best about it was that it he didn’t have to bother to wash his clothes, or even his shoes.  The way he saw it, if he walked out of the chamber naked into the filthy hole that passed for his apartment, he’d defeat the purpose of the sterilizer immediately.  What he should do is stuff the sheets and whatever else he could fit in there and sterilize them too.

As he unlocked the door, he glanced once more over at Amy but she was as comatose as he had been only a few short hours ago.  Her headset was on and another empty needle on the floor nearby.  Probably living another Null-G dancer fantasy.  Well, to each their own.  He ate up the MechWarrior TLEs and she devoured the famous dancer ones.  Either way, it beat the hell out of their real lives.

---

Sigil

• Lieutenant
Short Circuit Chapter 2
« Reply #38 on: 28 September 2015, 09:22:28 »
Chapter 2

Savannah
Free Worlds League

No sooner had he opened the back door to Short Circuit than he came face to face with Wilfred Spinaker, the old man that owned the place and for some reason keep him on the payroll.  Thin wisps of white hair drifted atop a pate covered in liver spots.  He thrust a dangerously green looking shake at him as he stumbled over the threshold into the crowded back shop area.

Spinaker growled, “Dammit, Armando!  Drink this!  It’s a kale, wheatgrass protein shake.  You look about half dead, boy!  Where the hell have you been?  It’s almost 11:00!” 

He continued as he waved his hands about furiously, “Never mind.  I don’t want to know.  Neeford dropped off a P-5000.  Left arm’s crushed and it’s a rush job.  I want it done by end of business today.  Got it!?  Not get to work!”  Spinaker’s cloudy eyes tried to bore into him, and while they might have been intimidating at one time, now he just looked like he was half blind and squinting.

Armando held his breath as he chugged down the puke colored concoction.  After a short fight with his gag reflex, he managed a nod.  “Ok, boss.  I’m on it.  Where is it anyway?”

Spinaker jerked his arm, pointing over to the only patch of cleared space in the cramped, crowded shop.  “It’s on the bench and it was a bitch getting it up there by myself.”

Armando endured another withering look from the old man as he navigated past the heaps of burnt out circuit boards, damaged electric motors, old tri-vid players, and a myriad of other technological trash.

He grimaced as he looked at the P-5000.  The industrial exoskeleton had definitely seen better days.  Myomer strands hung lose and torn all along the left side.  The cargo manipulator looked ok, but the both the upper and lower arm actuators looked as if something heavy had fallen on them.  He shook his head, whoever had been operating this thing when it had happened was probably in a world of hurt right about now.  Of course, labor was cheap, but with the war going on, exoskeletons sure as hell weren’t.

The myomer wouldn’t be a problem, he could scavenge up enough from around to shop to replace what was truly destroyed and splice the rest back together, but the actuators were a mess.  The old man never threw away anything, and with the Free Worlds League once again on a war footing, getting parts for anything was quickly becoming all but impossible.  Still, he’d check anyway, you never know maybe it would be his lucky day.

He stabbed the vidpad on the wall.  “Bill, this is Armando down at Short Circuit.  I got a P-5000 down here that needs new upper and lower arm actuators.  You got anything for me?”

Bill rolled his cigar from side to side in his mouth as he chuckled.  “Hang on a sec, and I’ll check.”  A few minutes later he reappeared on the vidpad.  “Closest I got is a TL-32 and LA-44.”

Armando scowled.  “Those aren’t rated high enough.  This thing’s supposed to lift two tons!  I use one of those things and it’ll fail first time they try and use it!”

Bill shrugged.  “You want ‘em or not?  It’s all I got, and you’re lucky I still got those.  Damn Technicron has been monopolizing all the production capacity on planet not to mention hogging up all the cargo haulers too.  A few more years like this and I’ll be outta business.  Least you’ve got job security.”

Bill took a long pull off his cigar filling the vidpad with digitalized smoke.  “Mark my words, boy.  You’re gonna see business like you never seen before if this keeps up.  About the only thing people are going to be able to do is try a fix what they got ‘cause nothing new is gonna come in that’s for sure.”

Armando massaged his temples, hoping in vain it would take the edge of the headache that stubbornly refused to quit.  “Put a hold on ‘em for me, would you?  I’m gonna check over at Stanford’s first.”

Bill laughed.  “Sorry, bud.  It’s a free market, nothing personal.  Someone else has the Eagles for ‘em and they’re theirs.”

Armando punched the vidpad cutting the call.  A LA-44?  He’d have reinforce the hell out of that in order for it to pass muster and that would take the better part of entire day just by itself!  And the TL-32 was joke.  That thing was used on light exoskeletons, commercial applications, not industrial.

Taking a deep breathe, he called up Stanford’s.  The corpulent face of Stanford himself filled the vidpad.  It was a blessing he didn’t have to see more.  Stanford practically needed a light exoskeleton just to move his considerable bulk around.

“Stanford, this is Armando down at Short Circuit.  I need a L-5UA and a L-5LA for a PowerLoader 5000.  Do you have anything?”

Stanfords’s jowls jiggled grotesquely as he answered.  “I got a few scrapped P-5000s in the warehouse.  You’re welcome to pick ‘em over.  No credit, no terms.  If you don’t have Eagles, no sale.  I’m a busy man.”  Just as quick the call cut off leaving him gaping into the dark screen. 

Armando eyebrows furrowed.  He’d have to ask the old man for the hovertruck and cash to boot.  Even he recognized in his current state the only dependable thing about him was his unreliability.

---

Much to his surprise, fifteen minutes later Armando found himself in the hovertruck with a pocketful of Eagles and on his way to Stanford’s Scrap Yard just on the outskirts of the city.  The sunlight fought its down past the heavy particulates in the air to cast the cramped and aged buildings in a curious orange cue.  A number of buildings were nothing but burnt out and shattered shells and for the hundredth time he thanked his lucky stars he was in a hovertruck gliding above the pockmarked and damaged ferrocrete byways of the city.

He’d been a Lyran citizen when he’d been a boy back when Savannah had been a part of the Commonwealth.  The Lyrans had wrestled it away from the FWL during the Second Succession War and the FWLM had finally taken it back about a decade ago.  Home to Technicron Manufacturing, he’d once dreamed of landing a job at the BattleMech factory that produced both the 60-ton Quickdraw and the monstrous 80-ton Awesome assault ‘Mech.

He was a half decent machinist and a mechanic as well, but what he really had was a way with electronics and control circuitry.  Enough so he’d earned a place at one of the trade schools and earned a number of certifications along the way.  He’d put in his application at Technicron five years ago, confident in his ability and filled with the optimism of a fresh graduate.     

He frowned as the taller buildings of city center fell behind him replaced with the familiar squalor and dilapidated tenements in which he’d spent the last three years of his life.  An armored personnel carrier idled at one of the intersections, the armed civil service officers casting wary glances at the masses of dirty, hungry and largely homeless people who occupied called this part of the city home. 

His certifications had gotten him that much as least he thought as one of the armed agents waved his hovertruck over.

A woman, invisible behind her heavy body armor, her face covered by a reflective visor, came up to his vehicle he pulled over and drifted to a stop.  Her voice was synthesized and he wondered for a fleeting moment if there was really even a person inside that suit of body armor. 

“Identification and authorization card.”

Armando pulled out his identification card, handing it through the window to the officer.  She held in front of her visor for a few interminably long seconds before continuing.

“There’s another riot on 57th and Loric.  Stay clear of the area.”  She walked alond the side of the hovertruck scanning the bed then handed him back his credentials.  “You’re cleared to proceed.”  With that she turned and walked back towards the APC.  Even though it was mid-day, traffic was light.  Traffic had been light ever since the petroleum rationing had started a few years back. 

He was just old enough to remember the shining fusion powered Avanti’s of the corporate elite and the sleek solar powered vehicles of the rich and famous.  Life under the Archon hadn’t been a bad thing.  Ironically, it was the assault by the Second Free Worlds Guard that had largely torched the planet and beggared its population.

As he pulled back out on the street he suddenly got angry.  His father had been pro-Lyran.  In fact he’d gone to far as to take up arms against the Marik invasion, although his own family had deep roots in the League.  He’d been killed in the fighting, leaving his mother and he not only destitute but also branded as traitors and ostracized.  His uncle’s family on the other hand, and left for Stewart when Savannah had fallen to the Commonwealth, never giving up their ties to the League.

Funnily enough his uncle had ended up as a MechWarrior with the Second Guard and fought in the liberation of Savannah.  A triumphant return, no doubt.  But it mattered little to him.  He’d given up first on caring about any of his mother’s boyfriends, then on just trying to keep count of the succession of men, until finally he’d given up caring about his mother at all.  He hadn’t even seen her for the past few years, not since moving out here to DumpTown as it was referred to by the lucky stiffs who had enough money to live somewhere else.

That’s what the job at Technicron was supposed to have landed him.  A place up in Ghent, a woman who dressed in clean clothes every morning and had a plate of LikeEggs waiting for him in the morning and maybe even an occasional cup of honest-to-Kerensky coffee.

Yeah.  Well that didn’t happen.  And even if by some divine intervention Technicron called now, they’d take one look at the needle tracks extending up both arms and that would be that.

He suddenly became keenly aware of the considerable wad of Eagles in his pocket.  Hell, he could buy a month’s supply of KanDue with that kind of money and few new TLEs to boot.  Maybe even one of the Solaris VII fights.  Before he could stop himself, the hovertruck veered down one of the side streets as if by its own accord taking him towards a destination he knew all too well.

He didn’t usually come here in the daytime and as he drove up to Valhalla he remembered why.  The grime and filth of the city was best viewed at night when it was easier to remember the gutters weren’t filled with garbage, human waste, and worse.  The stench was borderline toxic and left little enough to the imagination as it was.  Valhalla was a club that had renovated the bottom floor of a bombed out old apartment building.  The exterior walls still rose four stories and higher but the bottom floor was the only one inhabitable and even that was pushing it.  They’d dug drains right into the floor to funnel the rain away from the numerous cracks and holes in the ceiling.  You never had to wonder what the weather was when you were in Valhalla, all you had to do was look up.

The two rough looking bouncers at the rusted plate steel door recognized him immediately and opened the door.  The floor plan was completely open with exposed steel supports sprouting periodically from the floor.  A stage dominated on end, with long bars running the length walls to either side.  Deep bass with heavily synthesized guitar rumbled over a sweet little falsetto voice from massive speakers sprinkled throughout the room.  The stage was empty and the bars weren’t much better at this time of day.  Valhalla was creature of the night.

Scanning the bars, it didn’t take him long to spot Tazer’s trademark black leather duster.  The huge ComStar disk emblazoned on the back was unmistakable.  Armando took the stool next to him.

Tazer turned his head, his almond shaped eyes were an unsettling hazel visible even in the dim light of the bar.  “Well look who’s out early today.  How much you need?”

Armando stiffened.  Tazer knew exactly what he was coming for but the fact that it was so obvious disturbed him.  Still, he’d been coming to Tazer for a few years now and wished for a just moment that maybe he was more just another customer in a long line of junkies.

Frowning, he answered.  “Why do you wear that ComStar symbol on your jacket, anyway?”

Tazer tossed his head back laughing, setting his slick black ponytail swishing.  “Cuz I’m just like ComStar.  I’m neutral and I only care about one thing:  Money.  Now, how much KanDue you lookin’ to score?”

Armando leaned in closer dropping his voice.  “I want a full six-rack.  And you got any new TLEs?”

Tazer raised his eyebrows.  “Planning a party or something?  100 Eagles since you’re a good customer and all.  And ya I got some new ones.  One straight out of Kooken’s Pleasure Pit with this little Dominatrix that will literally blow you mind.”  Tazer’s hazel eyes twinkled.  “And something else, if you get my drift.”

Armando waved him off.  “You know I’m not into that kinda thing, Tazer.  You got anything new out of Solaris?  I’m looking for another MechWarrior TLE.”

Tazer smirked.  “Guess you prefer the wetware for that kinda thing, huh?”  He shook his head as he continued, “Man, what is it with you and those MechWarrior TLEs?  Wasn’t the Hesperus Drop enough for you?”

Now it was Armando’s eyes turn to sparkle.  “Ya, man, that one was good.  One of the best, maybe even THE best so far.  That’s what I’m talking about you.  So, you got any?  I got to get back to work soon.”

Tazer nodded.  “Matter of fact I do have a new Solaris fight.  Medium division.  Semi-finals.  Grudge vs. Redemption.  I saw the holo-vid of it, but don’t worry I won’t spoil it for ya.  Cost ya another 50 Eagles.”

Armando winced.  He was gonna burn a pile of the old man’s cash.  He’d have to strike one helluva deal with Stanford to get the parts he needed to repair the PowerLifter.

Tazer grinned crookedly.  “I also got this weird TLE that came down on the sideband last night.  No description.  Just says ‘Kentares’.  You know I don’t do that stuff, so I have no idea what’s on it.  Dealer’s primary rule:  Never do what you deal.  I’ll tell ya what, you buy the six-rack and the Solaris TLE and I’ll throw it in for free.  You just gotta tell me what’s on it after.  I’m pretty sure its MechWarrior stuff, comes from the same distributor at least.”

Armando paused.  150 Eagles for a six-rack and a pair of LTEs.  That’d keep him in business for the better part of a month.  “Ya, ok, Tazer.  You gotta deal.”  He pulled the roll of Eagles Spinaker have given him for the parts and peeled off seven 20 notes.  “How about 140 and we call it square?”

Tazer laughed mockingly.  “Not after seeing that wad, Armando.  If I’d known, I’d have soaked you for a lot more.  Consider yourself lucky.”

Armando held up his hands pleadingly.  “It’s not my money.  Seriously.  It’s the shops!  Come on man, cut me a break.”

Tazer shook his head with a smile.  “If it’s in your pocket, it’s your money.”  He slapped down a 10 note.  “Here’s your change.  Now go run back to work.”

Reluctantly, Armando thumbed another 20 off the depleted roll, replacing it with the 10 note.  “See ya round.”

He hopped off the stool and started his making his way back to the door when Tazer called out.  “Don’t forget to tell me what’s on there bro!”

---
« Last Edit: 01 October 2015, 18:57:50 by Sigil »

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 30 September 2015, 23:16:22 »
Nice to see some new writing from the reasly old past before the year 3000 which is cool. Thanks.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 01 October 2015, 02:25:33 »
Interesting story.
Reminded me of a Shadowrun setting. O0
Growing up is optional.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 01 October 2015, 09:09:29 »
Thank you ckosacranoid and snakespinner.   :)

I was beginning to wonder if anyone had even read this piece.  Snakespinner, your comment about Shadowrun particularly excites me.  I was going for a much darker, gritter, setting for the war torn worlds of the Third Succession War.  My previous attempt (the short story "Iktomi"),I was quite unhappy with.  I'll post up at least one more chapter on this one before I see whether it has enough traction to warrant continuing. 

I'm just coming back to the narrative form after churning out my research work for this time period, the TRO 2866: Rise of the Scavengers.  Which, I am pleased to say, seems to have been generally well-received even in it's Beta form.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
Short Circuit Chapter 3
« Reply #42 on: 01 October 2015, 18:56:31 »
Chapter 3

Armando pulled the hovertruck up just inside Stanford’s Salvage Yard.  Surprisingly there were already another three vehicles in the small parking area.  The entire yard was surrounded by a thick twenty foot tall ferrocrete wall topped with razor wire.  A massive steel sliding door provided the only way in and out of the expansive yard.  Stanford was a man who epitomized the old Terran saying, “One man’s junk is another man’s treasure.”

Vast piles of scrap metal towered above the huge cavernous warehouse that housed the more sensitive materials.  Heavy construction equipment dotted the junk yard.  A crane was busy moving scrap metal from one pile to another as a bulldozer shoveled even more detritus into a waiting dump truck.  Half a dozen workmen wearing purple overalls emblazoned with Stanford’s name worked the place.  Two of them were obviously armed, carrying stubby, pump action shotguns.

Armando hopped out, making his way into the main building.  It had been a while since he’d last been here and it sure as hell hadn’t been anywhere near as busy as then.  In fact, it looked like Stanford’s business was booming.  A quick sidelong glance at the dump truck revealed a surprisingly familiar logo.  Why in the world was Technicron here buying up massive amounts of scrap steel?  Were things really that bad?

As he entered the warehouse, Stanford’s corpulent form sat behind a rusting gun-metal gray desk scattered with datapads.   He looked up from the data terminal that dominated it.  “The exoskeletons are all in C-3.  And don’t even think about trying anything funny.  I got full surveillance on this place now so I’ll be watching your skinny little ass like a hawk.  And cash only.”

He was about to look back down at his terminal when Armando spoke up.  “Got it.  C-3.  What’s with Technicron?  What are they doing here?”

Armando could tell Stanford was smiling, but his fat jowls all but covered the attempt.  “Where ya been, kid?  There’s a war going on.  Supplies are tight.  Real tight.  They’re here for the same reason you’re here.  Can’t buy what they need new, so they gotta use salvage.  They’re buying scrap metal by the ton!”  Stanford rubbed his thick blocky hands greedily together.  “And paying top Eagles for it, too!”  His attempt at a smile turned into a sneer.  “Just like you’re gonna do.  Now scram.  I’m a busy man.  Bring whatcha want back up here to me and I’ll tell ya what’ll set you back.  Cash only.  Discount for C-bills.”

A few minutes later, Armando was digging his way through a pile of junked exoskeletons.  Commercial, industrial, light, heavy, it was one massive tangled heap of structural members, actuators, myomer, control circuity, and parts whose original purpose was now entirely undecipherable.  It took him a good half an hour to just locate what was left of a couple of P-5000s.

Dragging them out of the mass, he began examining them in earnest.  The titanium upper and lower arm members were easily salvageable.  The geared electronic servomotors that made up the heart of the actuators were in considerably rougher shape.  After poking around, it seemed likely if he put together what he already had with what was left on the salvaged P-5000s, he could cobble together a couple of functional servomotors. 

The real question were the microcontrollers, along with their sensors.  A working servomotor was one thing, but without the associated control module, it was all but worthless.  Unfortunately, there was really no way to determine what the condition of the microcontrollers were without installing them into a working exoskeleton and powering it up.  There wasn’t any obvious damage, cracks, or signs of them having burned up, but ultimately it was a crap shoot.

With a resigned sigh, Armando pulled together the assortment of parts, loading them onto a nearby wheeled cart.  There really wasn’t any other choice.  Trying to reinforce and then adapt a lighter actuator to the P-5000 was fraught with unknowns.  And while it was in theory possible, it would take significantly longer, cost a lot more, and come without any real guarantee.  No, he’d just have to take his chances with the salvage. 

Stanford looked up from his desk with his beady black eyes as he heard the approaching cart.  Armando wheeled it over next to the desk so he could inspect it.  As he stopped Armando addressed him, “Two members, a few servo parts and a couple of damaged microcontrollers.  Man, it was a real mess back there.  Took me half an hour just to separate what was left of the 5000s from all the rest of that junk back there.”

Stanford’s eyes never left the cart.  “Titanium.  That’s bringing a real premium right now.  500 Eagles for the lot.”

Armando’s eyes almost popped out of his head.  “500 Eagles!?  For this pile of crap!?  I don’t even know if these parts are any good!  I could buy a new L-5UA and a L-5LA for that kind of money!”

Stanford started chucking, sending both his jowls and his girth jiggling grotesquely.  “If you could buy ‘em new, you wouldn’t be here boy!  Now pay up or quit wasting my time.”

Armando scowled.  He didn’t have 500 Eagles, at least not anymore.  Not after seeing Tazer.  Anyway, with a bit of elbow grease he could probably repair the structural members if he had too.  “Keep the titanium.  How much for just the servo parts and the microcontrollers?”

Stanford rolled his eyes off the cart to stare at Armando.  “230 Eagles.”

Armando drew his lips into a tight line.  Stanford had him and worse he knew that he had him.  Grudgingly he drew out the roll of Eagles Spinaker had given him laying down 20 notes on his rusty desk until the roll was all but gone.  “230 Eagles.”

Stanford scooped them up, his fat hand exhibiting a surprising amount of dexterity in the process.  “Now beat it, kid.  And, oh, by the way I’m buying scrap of all kinds.  If that old bastard you work for wants to sell, this is the time for it.  I’ll buy his whole damn inventory.  I’ve never seen prices so high.  I’m buying anything and everything I can get my hands on.  You be sure to tell ‘em that!”

---

After another depressing drive through the shabby city streets, Armando pulled the hovertruck in behind Short Circuit.  Ducking in through the back door, he quickly retrieved a dolly and proceeded to load up the parts he’d just purchased from Stanford.  As he wheeled it, his boss was waiting for him.

Spinaker cast a critical eye on the parts then an even more critical eye on Armando.  “Took you long enough.  You got in late as it was and now you’ve spent the better part of the afternoon on a parts run.  Neeford wanted that P-5000 back online as quickly as possible.  How much longer is it going to take?”

Armando shrugged.  “Two days, at least.  I can’t find replacement parts anywhere.  I’m going to have to rebuild both the lower and upper arm actuator from the ground up.  And that assumes this junk from Stanford even works!  Then I’ve got to try and straighten out the limb itself.  You wouldn’t believe how much that pig wanted for a couple of pieces of titanium.  You’d think they were made of gold or something!”

“Oh ya,” Armando dug into the pocket of his jeans, “here’s your change.”  He handed Spinaker a small roll of 120 Eagles.  “That’s what’s left.  Stanford wanted almost 300 Eagles for the titanium, as it was he charged me and arm and a leg for what I got.”

Spinaker quickly thumbed through the roll with a frown.  “This is turning into quite an expensive job.  Neeford isn’t going to be happy.  The least you can do is work late and get this thing finished up as fast as you can.  I’ll call him and explain what’s going on.  You get to work.”

As Spinaker turned to head towards his office, Armando called out.  “Oh ya, I almost forgot.  Stanford wanted me to give you a message.  Said salvage prices are through the roof.  He offered to buy the inventory of the entire shop if you’re willing to sell.  In cash.  And I’ve gotta say, the junk yard was busy.  Even Technicron was there buying scrap metal by the ton.”

Spinaker gave him a long, hard look.  “If I sell out and close the shop, Armando, have you thought about where that would leave you?”  With that, Spinaker turned and headed out to the front of the shop.

---

Armando started laying out the parts to the upper arm actuator as his mind spun.  Working at Short Circuit is what gave him his transit visa.  Without it, he would be stuck in DumpTown.  And while he was a skilled technician, living in DumpTown was bad enough, it was hard to imagine working there as well.  He’d be lucky to find a steady job there, luckier still if it paid him regularly, and he’d only make a fraction of what Spinaker paid him.  Not to mention the working conditions would suck.  He’d probably be expected to provide his own tools, tools he didn’t have.

Look down at the bench, it was clear he was going to have to drill down to the component level to get the lower arm actuator rebuilt.  He could scrape together a full set of the Neodymium-Iron-Boron magnets used by the brushless motor, and the output shaft looked ok, but the gear assembly was a wreck.  He’d have to take apart the potentiometer too, but hopefully that was just the wiper.  With a heavy sigh, he pulled up his stool and began the tedious work.

It was well past 9:00pm when he finally put down the soldering iron and looked up from the optical magnifier he’d be using to help him rebuild the servomotor.  Spinaker had long since left asking him only that he arm the shop’s security system when he left.  He felt a pang of guilt when he thought back on how he’d used the old man’s money to buy a batch of KanDue and a couple new LTEs earlier that day.

Rubbing his forehead, he took a deep breathe followed by the sound of his stomach protesting its lack of food.  He’d swing by the noodle cart once he got back to DumpTown.  Prices in the city proper were way higher and besides he had to catch one of the last transits back.  They stopped running to DumpTown at 10:00pm, and didn’t start again until 6:00am the next morning.  Grabbing his jacket, he flipped off the lights and punched in the security code, arming the system.  Barely a minute later, he was on the streets outside Short Circuit hoofing it to the nearest transit stop.

---

DumpTown was a funny place.  It didn’t bother the civil authorities who went in, rather they were only concerned with who was allowed out.  In fact, the transit was rather full.  A gaggle of kids in their late teens were dressed up in a combination of tight black synth-leather and neon lycra, their hair spiked and gelled and their bodies sporting an amazing array of piercings.  A few rough shaven, heavily muscled men carrying enormous totes bags claimed a pair of the benches, their tactical sunglasses constantly sweeping back and forth across the crowd.  Armando just caught the nub of an earpiece on one of the men. 

A pack of wage slaves sat and stood scattered about the place looking dejected and exhausted as they clutched their long empty nutri-boxes, studiously trying to avoid eye contact with any and everyone.  A cluster of Talons, basically a pro-Stewart Commonality gang, was also on their way into DumpTown, no doubt looking for trouble.  DumpTown was where all the people who ended up on the wrong side of the war had been shoved into, in other words anyone who was or had been pro-Lyran.   Like his father had been.  Their ballistic clothes were heavily padded and stylized giving the impression they each had a heavenly and heavily muscled physique.  Each of their backs sported their gang’s screaming eagle insignia:  a bald eagle, bloody claws outstretched, swooping down upon on a cowering mass of people in suspiciously Lyran blue.  Thankfully, there were no other gang members on this particular transit, meaning that would likely reach DumpTown before the first fight broke out.

Last of all were the upscale junkies, looking to score their fixes on the cheap.  They were on a downward spiral.  Still proud enough to try not to look the part but desperate enough to come to DumpTown to save a few Eagles so they could buy just a little bit more. 

He could spot them a mile way because, once, Amy had been one of those.  She’d actually gone to one of the dance academies downtown back when she was still living with her parents and the Lyrans had ruled the planet.  The Lyrans were funny that way.  They had a healthy appreciation for the both the fine and performing arts and had somehow managed to bring a bit of culture along with them.  He still remembered seeing one of the famous Lyran troubadors straight out of the Rewland College of Fine Arts on Tharkad.  It was the closest he’d ever come to understanding, or for that matter even thinking about, poetry. 

All that changed when Savannah returned back to the Free Worlds League.  Eager to prove their recently rediscovered loyalty to the returning Eagle, anything with even just a tinge of Lyran influence was ripped apart, burnt down, blown up, killed, or outright destroyed.  Including the dance academy Amy had been training at.

That had been the end of her dream, and for that matter his.  The dance academies were all distance memories, just as his hopes of landing a job at Technicron.  But, they both had their TLEs.  Slipping his hand into his pocket, he fingered the two new memory cubes he’d bought off Tazer.  That, and the six-rack of KanDue in his jacket would make her the Null-G dancer of her dreams, and him the valiant MechWarrior of his.

Forty-five minutes later he hopped off the crowded transit and back onto the grim streets of DumpTown.  What light there was cascaded down from the windows of dilapidated buildings that lined the filth strewn street.  Shapes clustered ominously in the pools of darkness watching as the denizens of DumpTown hurriedly scurried to their various destinations.  He quickly crossed the street entering the multi-story tenement that housed his own little rat hole.

The elevator had long ceased to work and any interest in fixing it had left with the Lyran DropShips years before.  The higher floors were ironically both cheaper and safer, as most people were unwilling to make the long ascent up the stairs.  Armando didn’t mind, however.  He figured climbing up fifteen stories had to count as strenuous exercise and the privacy was worth it.

Slotting his access card, the door to his apartment slid open.  The smell was only slightly less noxious as the air outside and for the thousandth time he swore he gather up all the garbage and at least throw it out the window.

But instead his eyes fell almost immediately upon his TLE deck and headset, his hand reaching into his pockets before he even realized it.  He paused for just a second, berating himself for forgetting to stop by the noodle cart and then just as quickly shrugged it away.  He could always get it later.

Pulling out the six-rack, he stuck a syringe into it, pulling up the plunger to fill it with KanDue.  Next he placed the memory cubes on the mattress next to him.  One was unmarked, the one Tazer had called “Kentares”, and the other was the Solaris VII match.  Well, it’d been a long day.  Best stick with the known, who knew what the hell was on that other one.  He popped the Solaris cube into the deck, brushing his hair out of the way to expose the two bare spots where he positioned the contacts of his headset for maximum effect.

With practiced ease he wrapped a tourniquet around his arm, causing his veins to weakly rise to the surface.  He didn’t want to mess around, so he went straight for his "know-how-to-hit" spot.  Part of him already realized he was well on his way to damaging his veins, maybe even collapsing them, but he knew in a few brief seconds all that wouldn’t matter anymore.

With a motion smooth from countless repetitions, he inserted the needle, pulling back a bit on the plunger to ensure he was securely inside the vein.  Satisfied after seeing a tiny drop of blood discoloring the eerie green of the KanDue, he pressed slowly and steadily down transforming himself back into a MechWarrior once more.

---

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #43 on: 01 October 2015, 21:02:16 »
a sobering look at the gritty side of the Battletech universe.

excellent read so far.  :thumbsup:

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Cidwm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 01 October 2015, 21:11:45 »
Yeah this shows the real gritty side to the Battletech universe and how the consequences of the succession wars could effect ordinary people. Good story. 

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 02 October 2015, 02:26:47 »
This story makes me think of some of the Shadowrun stories I've read. Good work
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: 02 October 2015, 23:25:45 »
yes, very much has that shadowrun vibe and is very cool to see someone new that you worked up on the low end and what might happen to them. be kinda cool to see a couple of more chapters of this set of charaters and time perdiod.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 06 October 2015, 23:49:39 »
Very much a cyberpunk feel to it
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: 26 October 2015, 11:17:30 »
Administrative post:  Cross posting my latest Fan Article.

Dual Fusion Technology - A speech by Dame Leslie Zeeman delivered on 15 Nov. 2840
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=49553.0
« Last Edit: 26 October 2015, 14:48:30 by Sigil »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 27 October 2015, 19:21:11 »
Interesting in the work on ‘Dual Fusion Technology’ and Doppler Laser Cooling were destroyed or stolen, or both.  The fate of the prototype Victor remains unknown.  Hope it shows up in Comstar colors, in something else you write

laugh but I could see Sigil had he lived working on this idea O:-)
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 28 October 2015, 09:37:00 »
laugh but I could see Sigil had he lived working on this idea O:-)

Believe me, it's been a constant temptation to resurrect him, and without a doubt, he'd have loved to shove a pair of fusion engines into his 'Mech.  He was always secretly annoyed that a 5V Spider could jump further.  His ultimate ride would have gone 9/14/9, but I never found any plausible way to build such a monstrosity during that time period :)  But you never know...  >:D

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 29 October 2015, 01:08:37 »
A Sigil zombie, raised from the dead in a 9/14/9 mech.
What a storyline. :D
Growing up is optional.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 29 October 2015, 07:23:18 »
Sigil's body died, but he is in the AI of the mech he died in,
just wait till its plugged into a working mech :-)
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 29 October 2015, 15:40:36 »
Sigil's body died, but he is in the AI of the mech he died in,
just wait till its plugged into a working mech :-)

shudder that what we need a AI mech Sigil

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 29 October 2015, 19:43:06 »
hmm
a mech like a spider, small strong hands, can do alot
of modding work, could convert everything he wants till
he finds the perfect mech for his uses, then plugs himself
in and hits the transfer switch
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 31 October 2015, 22:04:23 »
~chuckle~ see attached.  I'm warming up the idea...

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 31 October 2015, 22:17:46 »
Whoa! 

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 01 November 2015, 00:13:13 »
Someone accidently plugged in Sigil's Ai into this experimental mech by mistake.
Is it Halloween. >:D :D
Growing up is optional.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
Through a Mirror Dimly - Chapter 1
« Reply #58 on: 06 November 2015, 19:45:59 »
"Through a Mirror Dimly"

Skye
Lyran Alliance
31 October 3057

Warrant Officer First Class Raquel Stroud shook her head as she looked up at the 40-ton Clint.  All of the current crop of cadets refused to pilot the thing.  There had been one too many unexplained incidents with the ‘Mech and word had gotten out, stories had been passed down, and now no one would go near it.  Those who had claimed the electronics were glitched.  Others said the ‘Mech was just too difficult to control.  The most interesting and amusing stories, though, were the ones in which the Cadets swore the ‘Mech would take control of itself, and still other said the ‘Mech had tried to “talk” with them.

Whatever the truth, she would never know.  No one would now.  It was going to be sold at auction, along with numerous truckloads of other surplus equipment the Academy no longer wanted or needed.  She’d be taking it on its final ride.  Straight to The Barn along with the rest of the junk.  There it would be tagged and cataloged and ultimately sold to the highest bidder.  Who knew what would happen to it next?

With Katrina Steiner’s succession from the Federated Commonwealth following right on the heels of Ryan Steiner’s assassination, there was only one thing she was certain off. 

There’s was going to be plenty of fighting.  And that didn’t even take into account the Inner Sphere’s latest residents, the Clans.

Looking up at the 40-ton war machine, it was easy to imagine it was haunted.  Between the pre-dawn light and the few scattered metal halides on in the cavernous ‘Mech hangar, most of it was cast in shadows and red highlights, making the head of the Clint suddenly look ominously like that of a Banshee, which suddenly seemed an apt comparison.

She herself had seen some of the surveillance videoes from the hangar and it was well known the ‘Mech would occasionally power itself on and then back off.  Legend had it that one time a tech had tried to manually disconnect the main power couplings from the fusion engine and almost died from the resulting shock.  Yet another reason no one would got near the thing.

But that didn’t change the fact it was taking up valuable real estate sitting idle in one of the ‘Mech bays.  So, it had to go, especially with a lance of the new BH-K305 Battle Hawks rumored to be on the way directly from Defiance Industries for additional field testing, and it had fallen to her to get it out of here.  That it had fallen to her was rather odd in of itself.  As a Warrant Officer First Class, she had assigned the task to a pair of her Technicians, Duggan and Remorez.  When she gotten up and double-checked the duty roster, they had been mysteriously reassigned, leaving her to move to the ‘Mech.

Clattering up the chain link ladder, she ascended towards the head of the Clint.  On the outside it looked in pretty good shape, especially for a ‘Mech that was approaching 400 years old.  As she reached the top, there was a strange hissing, followed by the whir of hydraulics, and suddenly she felt the machine come alive under her.

“A damn short, probably from this thing’s ancient wiring harness.  My pressure must have set it off…”

Her words trailing away as the canopy lifted, revealing a cockpit ringed with more displays then most Combat Information Centers had.  The multitude of screens flickered to life, status messages scrolling down them.  The command couch lay in the center, beckoning her.

Muttering to herself she clambered in, “It’s just a machine.  It’s no wonder the electronics are all screwed up.  Look at this setup!  Who the hell made this thing anyway…”

No sooner had she positioned herself on the command couch then the canopy began lowering itself.  “What the hell…”  She pressed the canopy release, but still it kept closing.  She smacked it again as the view of the partially lit ‘Mech Hanger slowly disappeared from sight.  Again nothing.  By the time she hit it a third time it was too late.  It clanged close, followed by the sounds of the environmental seals and locks engaging.

All around her the ‘Mech’s systems came alive.  The HUD appeared, projecting the reticle, weapon and armor status, jump jet reactive mass, heat levels, along with speed, direction, and torso bearing indicators.  The tactical map appeared next, dutifully cataloging all of the ‘Mechs secured in the bays around her, along with a topographical overlay of the area around the hangar.

“Whoa, wait a sec.  Aren’t those ‘Mechs all shut down?  How is it getting a reading….”

Off to her right, a Dalban HiRez display flashed urgently.  “Electronic Counter Measures:  Online.”  Next to it, another reported, “Active Probe:  OK.”  A beeping pulled her attention to one of the displays off to her left.  “Communications:  Online.  Uplink:  OK.  Downlink:  OK.  Accessing SGLE_Sec.  Connection Established.  Accessing…”  Adjacent to that one, yet another HiRez reported, “Engine:  Nominal.  Containment Field:  Stable.  Supercharger:  Available.”

Above and behind her, a mechanical whine suddenly started.  Jerking her head up, she saw a neurohelmet begin descending ominously towards her head.  Instinctively, she reached up, trying to smack the bulky and heavy helmet away from her, but no sooner had she reached up than the six-point harness snaked across her body of its own accord, strapping her into the command couch.

She screamed impotently at the neurohelmet as it covered her head drowning her in darkness and muffling her cries.

A second later, a massive wave of neural feedback knocked her unconscious.

---
« Last Edit: 09 November 2015, 16:08:20 by Sigil »

Cidwm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #59 on: 06 November 2015, 20:45:09 »
Haunted mech, hope there is going to be another chapter for this story. Nice seeing you know how's mech still kicking around.