Author Topic: New to MekHQ - Questions  (Read 47347 times)

mike19k

• Lieutenant
Re: New to MekHQ - Questions
« Reply #60 on: 28 July 2015, 01:12:26 »
I am using this for tracking of supplies and such for a table top game. I have been going over the rules books and have not seen were it says that an engine can only be used by one weight mech. Am I missing something or is it just a quirk of the programing? Example I need to replace the engine in my marauder and have a spare one for my commanders Atlas. Both use 300 rated engines but in the game I can not use it to fix my mech.

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 28 July 2015, 03:47:30 »
The program thinks you're trying to repair, instead of trying to modify.   Yes, to repair you have to use the same size engine.  To put that other engine in it you have to move said 'mech to the Meklab and modify it. 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 28 July 2015, 07:07:44 »
I am using this for tracking of supplies and such for a table top game. I have been going over the rules books and have not seen were it says that an engine can only be used by one weight mech. Am I missing something or is it just a quirk of the programing? Example I need to replace the engine in my marauder and have a spare one for my commanders Atlas. Both use 300 rated engines but in the game I can not use it to fix my mech.

That should be in the Tech Manual but it has also been answered in the Rules Question section of these forums by TPTB. Engines are only good for units of their same weight. You can swap a 300 between a Marauder and a Von Luckner or Orion but you can't swap between an Atlas and Marauder.

It's a pretty silly rule and is primarily because they base engine cost is based on the rating and the weight of the unit. So a 300 SFE from an Atlas costs more than the 300 SFE from a Marauder. So, MHQ is just following the official rules. We've talked about putting in an unofficial rule for engines / engine costs but it hasn't happened yet.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #63 on: 28 July 2015, 08:19:14 »
Real fun in MekHQ where you have the same rated engine for 3 different ASF tonnages, 2 'Mech tonnages, and a vehicle. all of which stack individually.

It's also close to insane when the program has to support 'Mech body parts for every tonnage and tech type, both bipedal and quad.  Scrolling down the list of 200+ parts in the "Purchase Parts/Locations" sub-menu to find a Left Arm for a Phoenix Hawk can be a frustrating experience.  Normally, I'll simply order it from the Repair menu, but if it took a Shoulder hit, you have to scrap it to order the replacement, leaving your 'Mech with no arm at all until the part arrives.  Better to have a near-useless arm to soak up damage points than to scrap it and have everything automatically transfer to the torso side.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: 28 July 2015, 08:25:51 »
Yeah, unfortunately that is all due to how the (official) rules work and the fact that those parts all cost different amounts based on the weight of the unit.

We've talked about an unofficial rule that would just have more or less 'one size fits all' but that causes... many issues with the construction rules / cost of units.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: 01 August 2015, 03:03:18 »
Another one that is new to me. Lost buoyancy? I have been trying things out and keep get a hit on my legs then I lose buoyancy and auto fall never to be able to stand up again? Any one know where this rule is so I can read about it and find out more?

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #66 on: 03 August 2015, 10:22:56 »
Real fun in MekHQ where you have the same rated engine for 3 different ASF tonnages, 2 'Mech tonnages, and a vehicle. all of which stack individually.

It's also close to insane when the program has to support 'Mech body parts for every tonnage and tech type, both bipedal and quad.

It would be nice if the Tab "Overview->Parts In Use" would show you how many parts are in you warehouse. This would make it more easy to ensure to have those spare parts available.
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 03 August 2015, 12:59:08 »
It would be nice if the Tab "Overview->Parts In Use" would show you how many parts are in you warehouse. This would make it more easy to ensure to have those spare parts available.

Yeah, there should be an open request for that already.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: 09 August 2015, 14:48:08 »
A feature that would be nice. Yes to all. I was making an infantry battalion to go with my unit, and made the mistake of getting infantry platoons, instead of the squads that I am going to use, then filled them. Now it seams like there are a million of them to get rid of and I have to say yes or no for each and every one. Minor issue, but would be nice to be able to just say yes to all.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 09 August 2015, 15:15:46 »
A feature that would be nice. Yes to all. I was making an infantry battalion to go with my unit, and made the mistake of getting infantry platoons, instead of the squads that I am going to use, then filled them. Now it seams like there are a million of them to get rid of and I have to say yes or no for each and every one. Minor issue, but would be nice to be able to just say yes to all.

Yeah it can get tedious... notably when you have captured 200 Vee Crews as Prisoners and now have to tap the space bar 200 times.

Did the Leopard design work out for you btw?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 09 August 2015, 17:11:28 »
You can also just hold the key down.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 09 August 2015, 18:09:56 »
Doesn't change tedious... Dialogue... You sure you want to delete these 340 people? Y/N would be not tedious.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #72 on: 09 August 2015, 18:24:48 »
Doesn't change tedious... Dialogue... You sure you want to delete these 340 people? Y/N would be not tedious.

340 wouldn't that be nice. I got 55 platoons (1540 people) when I wanted 55 squads (385 people), I could just use 385 of them and only have to get rid of 1155, but I am going with the random mix in the squads that the computer gives me.

I have not tried the Leopard yet, for different campaign. Thanks for making it. 

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 09 August 2015, 19:15:46 »
340 wouldn't that be nice. I got 55 platoons (1540 people) when I wanted 55 squads (385 people), I could just use 385 of them and only have to get rid of 1155, but I am going with the random mix in the squads that the computer gives me.

I have not tried the Leopard yet, for different campaign. Thanks for making it.

Remember in MM only Platoons are seriously useful if there are mechs on the field. Squads end up with limited abilities and high death rates. Plus MM doesn't have the ability to combine squads into platoons. So while I get what your trying... don't do it!

Try it :)

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #74 on: 09 August 2015, 19:53:18 »
Remember in MM only Platoons are seriously useful if there are mechs on the field. Squads end up with limited abilities and high death rates. Plus MM doesn't have the ability to combine squads into platoons. So while I get what your trying... don't do it!

Try it :)

I am not planing on playing with them, just using it to see how it would look before I buy that many APC's from Iornwind. I am in the process of making the 7th Crucis Lancers. I have seven mech companies painted up, so just about ready to start on my tanks and have figured out what I am going with for the three tank regiments. As for infantry, I do not use the game mechanized infantry. To me mechanized infantry is foot/jump infantry with attached APC's.

Once again thanks for the Dropship, it is now in the list. I have just not gone back to that saved campaign yet.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #75 on: 09 August 2015, 21:17:03 »
, I do not use the game mechanized infantry. To me mechanized infantry is foot/jump infantry with attached APC's.

A fair call but remember the German Motorcycle Batallions of WWII. They were "mechanized". Similarly, BT mechanized Infantry exists, filling the exact same roll.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #76 on: 10 August 2015, 00:07:08 »
A fair call but remember the German Motorcycle Batallions of WWII. They were "mechanized". Similarly, BT mechanized Infantry exists, filling the exact same roll.

Yes, and I do not have a real issue with it in concept. The main issue is if they climb on a mech and ten hexes later are knocked off there bikes just magically reappear. If they had bikes and such that could be dropped making them in to foot if they decide to assault a mech or vehicle I could see using them. So it is a case of me not liking a rule, and rather than making a big issue out of it I just do not use it, if others want to fine.

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #77 on: 10 August 2015, 07:32:17 »

A little bit of nitpicking, the German motorcycles Batallions in WWII aka Krad-Schützen were labeled as motorized infantry, not mechanized.
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #78 on: 10 August 2015, 08:40:33 »
A little bit of nitpicking, the German motorcycles Batallions in WWII aka Krad-Schützen were labeled as motorized infantry, not mechanized.
Further nitpicking, many of the Germany "mechanized" infantry units in the early stages of the war were mounted on bicycles.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 10 August 2015, 09:12:34 »
@Schugger @Kovax

I knew when I was writing that post that I'd get nitpicked :P

Nothing arouses the specificity of the war gamer than the German TOE of WW2  >:D O0

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #80 on: 10 August 2015, 09:22:07 »
@Schugger @Kovax

I knew when I was writing that post that I'd get nitpicked :P

Nothing arouses the specificity of the war gamer than the German TOE of WW2  >:D O0

It's a terrible disease and there is no remedy or cure for it, for sure. ;)

Further nitpicking, many of the Germany "mechanized" infantry units in the early stages of the war were mounted on bicycles.

Ahh. The infamous Fahrradsturmtruppenabteilung 258. Sorry, but those were labeled as Pedalized Infantry.
Sry guys - couldn't resist :D
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 10 August 2015, 11:25:30 »

Just tried that... doesn't work for Spacebar Yes has focus

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
  • Look out, there is a monkey on your back!
« Reply #82 on: 11 August 2015, 10:21:16 »

This has now been fixed for the next release. I think when we initially set it up, we wanted to be careful to avoid accidental deletion. That was before we realized people were going to run multiple RCTs at once  ::)
MegaMek Dev and Bug Creator

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Make your own campaign website with the MekHQ Blog

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 11 August 2015, 11:03:07 »
This has now been fixed for the next release. I think when we initially set it up, we wanted to be careful to avoid accidental deletion. That was before we realized people were going to run multiple RCTs at once  ::)

You gave us the tools to run multiple RCTs... of course we will do it  :D

Thanks for the feature Taharqa  O0

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #84 on: 11 August 2015, 11:39:49 »

The concept of "intended use" never  survives first contact with the end user.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #85 on: 11 August 2015, 12:05:02 »
It's a terrible disease and there is no remedy or cure for it, for sure. ;)

Ahh. The infamous Fahrradsturmtruppenabteilung 258. Sorry, but those were labeled as Pedalized Infantry.
Sry guys - couldn't resist :D

[applause] [notworthy]

This is exactly what I am talking about. Dear War Gamers, myself included. Resist the urge to nitpick generalizations about German WW2 ToEs.  ;D

ralgith

• Captain
    • Dylan's BattleTech Emporium
« Reply #86 on: 11 August 2015, 16:42:36 »
Yeah, there should be an open request for that already.

There is. It just isn't trivial to add.

ralgith

• Captain
    • Dylan's BattleTech Emporium
« Reply #87 on: 11 August 2015, 16:45:26 »
The concept of "intended use" never  survives first contact with the end user.

The best laid plans of developers and testers...

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: 11 August 2015, 17:26:54 »
 [##]

epic

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #89 on: 12 August 2015, 15:52:19 »

ALL THE RCTs

:p
Agent # 703

Register