Author Topic: chaplain or priest creation?  (Read 2295 times)

gigobyte

• Sergeant
  • Rock'em Sock'em Robots that I don't get bored of.
chaplain or priest creation?
« on: 19 June 2015, 14:35:06 »
One of my players wants to make a moral type character, like a chaplain or priest mechwarrior and is lost for what skills to take and what traits to take.

Any help would be appreciated.

Archangel

• Major
Re: chaplain or priest creation?
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2015, 15:10:35 »
Like the Cloud Cloud Cloister Training detailed in MW's Guide to The Clans or ISP3's Society of St. Andreas, a lot of the skills would be theologically based.  That is as far as I am willing to stray into Rule 4 territory.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

malk2651

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2015, 15:19:35 »
I would look into modifying the modules for Comstar/Word of Blake.  Lot of Protocol/Religion & Interest/Religion's Writings.  Career/Priest mixed in maybe?

You could also have fun with something like Compulsion/Prayer.  Where the player needs to stop what they're doing an pray at certain times of the day.  Or maybe something like In For Life/Religious cult, where they left a cult that comes back to haunt them.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2015, 15:40:39 »
I don't think any traits would really be appropriate. There's not much there that would really say "Priest." (that's not to say they shouldn't have traits, just hat there isn't really one that says "Because I'm a priest, I have this.")

I'd echo what Malk2651 said. Interest/Religion, Protocol/Religion and maybe Career/Priest. I'd probably have them pick a specific Religion with regards to their skills, so it would be "Protocol/New Avalon Catholic Church" rather than just "Protocol/Religion."

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2015, 17:14:25 »
Well certain traits could be used such as the aforementioned Compulsion.  Other traits that could be used could be:
-Alternate Identity - may have given up his/her former identity upon entering the chosen theology like Hermann Steiner who became the Abbot of St. Marinus House on Zaniah III (Aldo Lestrade tried to persuade him to come out of retirement to oppose Katrina Steiner);
-Connections -within the order/group/sect/etc;
-Dark Secret - if part of a secret sub-sect, such as Opus Dei, or it might be from his former career - Shephard Brook from Firefly;
-Gregarious/Introvert -depending upon the theology in question, how sheltered they were, etc;
-In for Life, etc.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2015, 17:50:55 »
Well, first stop would be the seminary....I'd take a university level path to represent this. It seems the General Studies path is your best bet to handle the initial training. Take Career/ Priest and Interest/ Specific Theology and you should be in like Flynn.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2015, 02:59:26 »
  I play a Shiite Imam in the Arkab Legion in a current campaign...Like me, you'll have to use common sense and wing a lot of it, although many of your skills will be concerning Doctrinal Literature, Liturgical Language, and knowledge of your particular Theology.
  Your level of Zeal/Fanaticism is optional.
  Trait: In for Eternity

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2015, 11:02:25 »
For those who are particularly religious I do recommend Compulsion/Religious beliefs.  It can be interesting to play a character that is invested in their religion that their behavior is outright influenced by their beliefs to such a degree that it takes effort to stray away from them.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2015, 11:32:21 »
Alright, Here's what I *THINK* he wants.

If you want to have the priest created via life path, then here's what I think your friend should do. Apparently, there's a high path and a low path to this....it all depends on how generous the GM wishes to be. For the high path, the prospective priest can choose any stage 1 or 2 path he wants. Anything that makes getting into the University path painlessly should be a priority though. In my example, we'll use white collar and prep school. The prospective priest then takes the general studies path and really should end his University life there. He can then enter the Military Academy, take the Mechwarrior path and have enough to take one tour of duty. Anything more depends on if the GM uses the aging rules or not.

The low path is a bit cheaper, as the character will instead be taking trade school to represent a small seminary. Instead of entering a full fledged Military Academy, the character takes Family Training instead and has it represent one of the many smaller private military academies that dot the Innersphere. This method also has the advantage of being more open than the high path.

malk2651

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2015, 13:02:22 »
-disregard

theagent

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 25 June 2015, 10:38:04 »
Brotherhood of Randis is probably what you're looking for.  It's from MW3/CBT:RPG, where basically you take 2 stage 4 paths:  training (adding theology & meditation training), followed by a tour with the unit (further emphasizing theology), & ending up with the Quitk/Honorable trait.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2015, 01:30:25 »
The Chaplain corp in a service would have a lot of protocols . For instance having multiple uniforms as you are shared with multiple services within an Affiliation / Nation , with the most senior armed services tracking performance . Might be easier in a combined service . Many if not most will be medically trained in psychology . Some with an eye for advancement would also have administrative skills . The official religion would track preferential promotion . They would have some knowledge of other prevailing faiths of their own Affiliation and most common Opposition force . Have info when Opposition force might have most of the troops fasting or pursuing some other performance compromising behavior and when. In short very expensive in skills and unlikely to be within the command track . Might get officer track or warrant officer track too much training for enlisted I think .
« Last Edit: 21 July 2015, 01:38:13 by Col Toda »

Register