Author Topic: Deadborder's New MegaMek Icon Thread Two!  (Read 99154 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Deadborder's New MegaMek Icon Thread Two!
« Reply #600 on: 17 February 2017, 03:25:31 »
One big surprise from the Solaris 'Mech record sheets was that the Epimethus was an OmniMech. This beggars such questions as if it ever had any alternate configurations developed and, if so, what were they like? How much of its equipment was fixed and how much was podded. It's questions like these that don't have any answers and probably never will. Otherwise, anything you come up with is head-cannon.

I'll go now.

Epimethus Prime
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #601 on: 17 February 2017, 11:51:57 »
One big surprise from the Solaris 'Mech record sheets was that the Epimethus was an OmniMech. This beggars such questions as if it ever had any alternate configurations developed and, if so, what were they like? How much of its equipment was fixed and how much was podded. It's questions like these that don't have any answers and probably never will. Otherwise, anything you come up with is head-cannon.

I'll go now.

Epimethus Prime
Wow, totally forgot/missed this thing. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #602 on: 19 February 2017, 06:01:36 »
The really amazing thing about the Sasquatch is its dedication to wasting massive amounts of tonnage. This is best demonstrated on the 003 model which combines an oversized XXL engine with improved jump jets to give it the firepower and mobility of a medium 'Mech for a bazillion times the price. Progress!

SQS-TH-001 Sasquatch

SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch

SQS-TH-003 Sasquatch

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #603 on: 22 February 2017, 07:10:46 »
We're nearing the end of the Solaris crawl, but it's far from an easy cruise from here. The Juggernaut is a good example. While it's TRO illustration is nicely clear, it's still a rather odd shape with it's triangular head/torso/thing and strange legs. The big barrel shoulders also make it a lot wider then it would be otherwise. I had to change a lot of things as I went along.

And then we get to the Unseen version who's sole illustration is direct head on and who's weapon placement is very hard to figure out. There's no real clues as to its overall shape, so I just went with something inspired by the reseen version.

Though the one up next is the real killer.

JG-R9T1 Juggernaut

JG-R9T2 Juggernaut

JG-R9T3 Juggernaut

JG-R9TX1 "Leapin' Lil" Juggernaut

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #604 on: 25 February 2017, 09:19:42 »
Of all the Solaris 'Mechs, the Colossus was probably the one I was fearing the most. Much of that came down to the unseen version. It was adapted from an overly complex Japanese Battletech design who's overall shape and proportions were unclear and that suffered from excessive greebling and rather odd design elements that were hard to translate to an actual icon. Compared to that, the reseeen version was a snap.

Nearly there. Of course, the last one is the real nightmare...

CL-P3 Colossus

CLS-4S Colossus

CLS-5S Colossus

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #605 on: 27 February 2017, 03:48:10 »
And now thanks to the Mighty Turtle Gamera Great Turtle, I am finished with the Solaris 'Mechs. Not that they were going to go down without a fight. No, the last one had to be a quad, just to spite me and make my life awful. But they're done.

Now I die a little and then begin work in the next project.

GTR-1/2 Great Turtle

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #606 on: 01 March 2017, 07:38:11 »
And as we end one project we begin a new one. This time the theme is IndustrialMechs; a category that still has a lot of missing and outdated icons. Of course, this means I'll be drawing a lot of melee weapons (fun!) and quads (More fun). I can't wait.

Today however we start with a really awesome 'Mech. The Chaffee ServiceMech is named for the late Doug Chaffee, a man who's contributions to the Battletech universe cannot be understated. For that alone, it is amazing.

BT1 Chaffee ServiceMech

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #607 on: 03 March 2017, 03:55:21 »
The Pompier FireMech is designed for fire rescue. Well, except for the unique FL version. That one just sets things on fire.

GM-3A Pompier FireMech

GM-3CD/3HT Pompier FireMech

GM-FL Pompier FireMech

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #608 on: 06 March 2017, 07:18:14 »
The Harvester Ant is a 'Mech that I should hate drawing. After all, it's a weird-looking quad with equipment that is going to be hard to translate into icon scale. But instead I love it. Chaffee's art of it has a great, seventies utopian sci-fi feel to it, like it's from a Terran Trade Authority book or something.

KIC-3 Harvester Ant AgroMech

KIC-3M Harvester Ant AgroMech MOD

KIC-3M-B Harvester Ant AgroMech MOD

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #609 on: 08 March 2017, 03:18:36 »
Unlike the last few, I have drawn the Patron Robot Butler LoaderMech before. However, my old icons were horribly undersized (Closer to Battle Armour then anything else) thus a complete redraw was needed.

Patron LoaderMech

PTN-2/2M Patron MilitiaMech

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #610 on: 08 March 2017, 03:26:28 »
I often use the term "bomb on stilts" to describe 'Mechs that are rather prone to exploding (eg Crusader, Caesar). However, in the case of the Shugosha, it's actually an apt and deliberate description. Yep, it's that rare 'Mech where blowing up is a design feature.

PTN-LAW Shugosha LoaderMech

LAW-QM1 Shugosha Q-Mech

LAW-QM2 Shugosha Q-Mech

LAW-QM3 Shugosha Q-Mech

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #611 on: 12 March 2017, 03:31:23 »
Here. Have a whole mess of similar-looking, confusingly named SecurityMechs.

CPK-19 Copper SecurityMech

CPK-65 Copper SecurityMech

PK-6 Peacekeeper SecurityMech

PM-6 Peacemaker PoliceMech

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #612 on: 20 March 2017, 06:55:05 »
The Carbine ConstructionMech is rather cool looking in a weird, functionalist sort of a  way. Of course, with its odd overhead arms and hefty industrial detail, it's a pain in the rear to draw. But I do like Industrial MODs because of that whole crazy junk-tech sort of a thing that they have going, so it balances out.

CON-1/7/8/9 Carbine ConstructionMech

CON-7M Carbine ConstructionMech MOD

CON-8H Carbine HaulerMech

CON-9M Carbine ConstructionMech MOD

CON-9M-B Carbine ConstructionMech MOD

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #613 on: 21 March 2017, 07:39:41 »
I rhetorically asked one of my friends why there were so many Crosscut variants. He replied, saying "It's a dieselpunk lumberjack robot with a huge chainsaw and junk guns welded on." I can't argue with that logic.

ED-X1/X2/X4 Crosscut ForestryMech

ED-X2M Crosscut ForestryMech MOD

ED-X4B Crosscut DemolitionMech

ED-X4D Crosscut DemoltionMech

ED-X4M Crosscut ForestryMech MOD

ED-X4X Crosscut ForestryMech

ED-X5M Crosscut ForestryMech MOD

ED-X5M-B Crosscut DemolitionMech MOD

ED-XX "Ichabod" Crosscut

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #614 on: 31 March 2017, 07:05:18 »
While there were several MWDA "MOD" variants of the Harvester AgroMech, none of them have yet received canon record sheets. A pity, as I want to play as Bill Malignov with "ol' Painless"

On the other hand, it makes my job a lot easier.

HVR-99 Harvester AgroMech

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #615 on: 05 April 2017, 07:17:18 »
The Marco ExplorerMech is a funky concept married to equally funky art. What I like the most about it is the observation platform on the shoulder, which gives it a really fun, frontier-y feel. Plus it's got nonsense MOD variants, so that's also good.

MR-6/7 Marco ExplorerMech

MR-8C Marco ExplorerMech

MR-8D Marco ExplorerMech

MR-8E Marco ExplorerMech

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #616 on: 19 April 2017, 04:01:49 »
The worst part about drawing IndustrialMechs is the industrial gear itself. The Dig King is an excellent example of the type. Its mining drill and rock crusher are both rather complicated designs that are difficult to translate into small scale images that still leave them identifiable. Oh, and they also tend to result in very "sprawly" designs to boot that come off as bigger then they actually are.

RCL-1 Dig King MiningMech

RCL-1M Dig King MiningMech MOD

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #617 on: 19 April 2017, 04:10:31 »
Powerman sounds like the name of an energy drink.

Powerman SC XV HaulerMech

Powerman SC XI-M HaulerMech MOD

Powerman SC XI-M-B HaulerMech MOD

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #618 on: 19 April 2017, 21:15:06 »
I can't tell you how happy I am to see the IndyMechs finally getting proper art. Keep up the great work!

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #619 on: 21 April 2017, 04:13:13 »
I can't tell you how happy I am to see the IndyMechs finally getting proper art. Keep up the great work!

I love IndustrialMechs. I just hate drawing them.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #620 on: 21 April 2017, 09:26:00 »
The Buster was one of the easier IndustrialMechs to draw. It's really just a collection of boxes with arms. Some versions have more boxes; some have less boxes and more guns. That's actually rather straightforward. It helps that it's only industrial equipment is relatively minor and not that obtrusive.

Buster BC XV/XXI HaulerMech

Buster BC XV-M HaulerMech MOD

Buster BC XV-M-B HaulerMech MOD

Buster BC XV-M-C HaulerMech MOD

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #621 on: 21 April 2017, 12:44:27 »
Great work! I hope mini TRO Golden Century and Irregulars comes out so u will new ammo to fuel ur avatars drawing.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #622 on: 26 April 2017, 09:01:29 »
The Dig Lord is a scaled-up Dig King, which made my job a whole lot easier. Rather then having to work from scratch on its complicated mining equipment, I can copy and scale-up from the smaller design. This saves me a lot of work/headaches, given how much I *love* drawing Industrial equipment and Melee Weapons.

Now if only there was an IndustrialMech called a Rock Lord...

RCL-4 Dig Lord MiningMech

RCL-4M Dig Lord MiningMech MOD

RCL-Z1 Dig Lord Armed MiningMech/RCL-Z1M Deep Lord MilitiaMech

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #623 on: 28 April 2017, 04:10:23 »
The Lumberjack is a very functional looking design. It's got a chainsaw, it's got a crane, it's got a dumpster. What more do you need? Plus it's also very easy to draw; just make it a block and put some bits on it. I love it.

LM4/C Lumberjack ForestryMech

LM1/A Lumberjack ForestryMech

LM4/P Lumberjack ForestryMech

LM5/MP Lumberjack MilitiaMech

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #624 on: 01 May 2017, 07:20:24 »
The Uni HaulerMech is a very practical, sensible and functional design. But because it's a quad, it fills me with rage.

ATAE-70/70T Uni HaulerMech

ATAE-70M Uni MilitiaMech

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #625 on: 05 May 2017, 08:58:23 »
An ovoid quad IndustrialMech with funky legs? It's like my nightmare come to life. And yet, the Scavenger turned out to be one of those cases where my first pass worked out fantastically and I was super happy with it. Strange how those things work.

SC-V Scavenger SalvageMech/SC-V-1 Vampyr SalvageMech

SC-VM Scavenger MilitiaMech

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #626 on: 08 May 2017, 07:43:59 »
After the horror that was the Scavenger/Vampyr, I said to myself "This is a new TRO. Whatever I start with has to be easier." And then I saw the Kiso. And I wept. A lot.

In the end I re-drew the legs twice before I came up with the final version seen here. That's not to say that I'm happy with them. I'm not. But I'm less unhappy with this version then I was with the others.

K-3N-KR4 Kiso ConstructionMech

K-3N-KR5 Kiso ConstructionMech

K-3N-KRHQ Kiso CommandMech

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #627 on: 09 May 2017, 08:18:22 »
As you can tell from it's name, the DemolitionMech is used to distribute Ice Cream. Just kidding, it demolishes things. I know, I'm as shocked as you are.

WI-DM DemolitionMech

WI-DM2 DemolitionMech

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #628 on: 10 May 2017, 08:20:05 »
Pssst... wanna buy a Quasit?

QUA-51M/T Quasit

QUA-51P Quasit

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #629 on: 21 May 2017, 04:35:21 »
Got a little behind there. Whoops. Gotta remember to post the Icons that I draw.

Aaaaanyway, here's the Sokuryou. It surveys stuff, sometimes with a TAG. See? Aren't IndustrialMechs useful?

SKU-181/197 Sokuryou SurveryMech

SKU-198 Sokuryou SurveryMech

Register