Author Topic: BATTLETECH KICKSTARTER!  (Read 242778 times)

Zeether

• Private
BATTLETECH KICKSTARTER!
« on: 29 July 2015, 09:14:08 »
The news just broke this morning, Hairbrained Schemes (the guys who made Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall) are launching a Kickstarter in the fall for a Battletech game: http://battletechgame.com/

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Re: New Battletech game coming from the Shadowrun Returns devs!
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2015, 09:20:35 »
Hooray! Hopefully I won't have to buy a new comp just to play it, though.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2015, 09:25:30 »
I have a general aversion to Kickstarter and the concept of it in general but... This may be the one that drags me in. It kind of hits all the points of what I'd want in a battletech game.

Description for those interested:

Harebrained Schemes is pleased to announce their return to Kickstarter this Fall to partner with Backers in co-funding the creation of BATTLETECH. Jordan Weisman, the creator of BattleTech and MechWarrior, is back with the first turn-based BattleTech game for PC in over two decades. Steeped in the feudal political intrigue of the BattleTech universe, the game will feature an open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign that blends RPG ‘Mech and MechWarrior management with modern turn-based tactics.

Hooray! Hopefully I won't have to buy a new comp just to play it, though.

If it's anything like the Shadowrun game they did, it's unlikely you will. Unless you're running something 15 years old already.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2015, 09:28:42 by Jayof9s »

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2015, 09:30:24 »
The news just broke this morning, Hairbrained Schemes (the guys who made Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall) are launching a Kickstarter in the fall for a Battletech game: http://battletechgame.com/
Thanks for the info. I can't wait to read more details.

Here are some pictures:

Is it me, or are those 'Mechs (Griffin, Atlas, Locust, Catapult) very similar to MWO ones?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2015, 09:32:53 »
Love the silhouettes of  the Locust and Griffin
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2015, 09:36:46 »
More info:

Harebrained Schemes Returns To Battletech (And Kickstarter) This Fall

Just imagine it: MechCommander with Alex Iglesias' MWO models instead of those - often strange - MWT ones.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2015, 09:50:40 »
ooh. "open ended.. campaign", "turn-based tactics", RPG 'Mech and Mechwarrior management. Nice artwork.  I'm sold*.

*Opinions subject to change,pending actually gameplay :).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2015, 09:57:28 »
ooh. "open ended.. campaign", "turn-based tactics", RPG 'Mech and Mechwarrior management. Nice artwork.  I'm sold*.

*Opinions subject to change,pending actually gameplay :).

Yeah. I've avoided paying into kickstarter campaigns in the past but this one ticks all the right boxes. And they did a pretty good job with their Shadowrun game. As long as this message remains consistent, I'll likely support. I've wanted a turn-based, open-ended mercenaries-like campaign, with RPG elements for Battletech forever.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2015, 10:02:59 »
When I am thinking it about it, I will wait for a more detailed description of the game. The reason is simple: Not going to fund approximately tenth game about Davion whitehats.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2015, 10:05:19 »
This is awesome news.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2015, 10:05:30 »
The best part of that article is how they're already funded.  The kickstarter is all about beefing it up with more features!

"The studio had base funding to make the game, but asked fans to contribute funds in order to make it a bigger, meatier game. Given the language in the media alert, we suspect the same model will be in play for Battletech when Harebrained Schemes begins to seek assistance later this year."
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2015, 10:14:33 »
The best part of that article is how they're already funded.  The kickstarter is all about beefing it up with more features!

The article is actually talking about SR:HK here, but suggests the same could, in theory be true for BT.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 29 July 2015, 10:19:05 »
More good news.  Hairbrains Schemes has a giant banner for the game over their booth at gencon.  Let's hope they got more to show off too.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #13 on: 29 July 2015, 11:01:26 »
*grabby hands* Shadowrun: Hong Kong was the first game I ever helped to Kickstart--and even then, it is only because the previous two games in the series were so good. Looks like I have found the second!

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 29 July 2015, 11:36:49 »
Quote from: Russ Bullock
Also excited to have an agreement in place with @WeBeHarebrained to bring art style consistency back to the brand.

Sceptrum

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: 29 July 2015, 11:53:06 »
I kickstarted Shadowrun Returns and got an average game in return. Game was not bad, but very short.
I did though get the followup Dragonfall for free and also the Director's Cut later, since I had crowdfunded them. Awesome game and that made me kickstart Shadowrun Hong Kong the moment it went up. So yeah, unless Shadowrun HK is really bad I will kickstart "Battletech MechCommander" title as well.

And hopefully you will be able to customize your mercenary regiment to some degree  :)

Zeether

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 29 July 2015, 12:31:01 »
I kinda hope multiplayer is in this along with workshop support like Shadowrun had, one or both features would be fantastic.

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #17 on: 29 July 2015, 12:41:09 »
This post has heed my call for my excitement of this game and my return to this forum!  Halleluiah!  O:-)
And hopefully bring the classic legacy games to gog.co...JK (don't take me to seriously, mods)  :D

(PS Sorry for my outburst about MWO, I just don't like the community of MWO and I don't care for MWO, I just don't wanna spend "real" money on mechs, if you guys like it, fine.  But I do care for the new Battletech PC game, and yes I do have physical copies of the legacy games, authentic, not bootlegged)
« Last Edit: 29 July 2015, 12:53:17 by SapphireWolf »

Zeether

• Private
« Reply #18 on: 29 July 2015, 13:17:11 »
I wonder if the new reseen Warhammer will be in this...

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 29 July 2015, 13:30:20 »
Too early to say. We know that PGI and Harebrained Schemes have made some deal. But those re-imagined Unseens are the CGL's project.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #20 on: 29 July 2015, 13:38:11 »

No...not quite. BattleTech (the board game) and MechWarrior/BattleTech (the video games) are different IPs owned by different companies. The pen-and-paper games are owned outright by Topps and licensed to Catalyst Game Labs. The computer games are owned outright by Microsoft (due to their acquisition of FASA Studios*) and licensed to Piranha Games and Harebrained Schemes. This is part of the reason the MechWarrior: Online and MechWarrior Tactics models, even for non-Unseen, look so different from the board game originals. That said, there is still a lot of obvious crossover between the IPs and no serious bad blood between the companies, so I'd fully expect to see something very similar to, but not quite exactly like, the new board game Warhammer in the new computer game.

* FASA Studios should not be confused with FASA, Inc. or FASA Games.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #21 on: 29 July 2015, 14:13:36 »
I will most certainly back this. So stoked.

I liked both Shadowrun games and I backed Hong Kong. This one is going to get a fair amount of money from me.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Konig-Wolf

• Corporal
  • The Lion of Silesia...ready to roar.
« Reply #22 on: 29 July 2015, 14:14:16 »
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Seriously...turned based...rpg elements...BATTLETECH as the name...this game is the game I've wanted for years.
-Jeff "König-Wolf" James

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #23 on: 29 July 2015, 14:26:34 »
"is back with the first turn-based BattleTech game for PC in over two decades"

Sorry megamek, seems no one knows about you.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 29 July 2015, 14:45:29 »
At least on first, look I want.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 29 July 2015, 15:09:17 »
As much as i love Battletech and want to see another video game of it...
Kickstarter, ugh.
Technically, MWO's Founder packages were crowdfunding. Have regretted it ever since i paid for it. Never again. (I don't even pre-order games, not anymore. Burned too many times, i have no hype left me at all.)

And MWO art? Another ugh. I don't like it, at least not the final in-game models, concepts range from meh to good. Prefer mechs as looking more... animated, human-like. Not to the extent they perhaps were at first but certainly don't care for too tank-like mechs.

Wonder if physical combat is in, frankly it is time for a Battletech video game to include it.

If the game gets kickstarted and developed, and the game is actually good, i may buy it. But only if it is good, and launches in working condition (too many games are trash at launch nowadays, at least the sort i might be interested in).

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #26 on: 29 July 2015, 16:25:46 »
"is back with the first turn-based BattleTech game for PC in over two decades"

Sorry megamek, seems no one knows about you.

Megamek is not BattleTech. It was never licensed, and has been allowed to exist only because the developers were always careful to avoid treading too far on Microsoft's rights. If it was formally acknowledged, it'd have to be shut down.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #27 on: 29 July 2015, 17:07:26 »

Maybe they'll dig out the Warhammer from the MW5 teaser.  ;)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #28 on: 29 July 2015, 17:08:55 »
I really hope this won't be another Unity based browser game like MWT. Could barely ever play it because of that engine (it's one of the worst for browser games). :P

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 29 July 2015, 17:26:16 »
Right! The Shadowrun games (mainly Dragonfall) have lived up to everything I wanted. So I actually have high hopes about this.
Any clues on the era? Sounds/looks very 3025

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067