Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: Mad Cat Mk IV (Savage Wolf)  (Read 41612 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
'Mech of the Week: Mad Cat Mk IV (Savage Wolf)
« on: 07 November 2015, 22:08:46 »
The Mad Cat Mk IV, AKA Savage Wolf. From TRO3145: Mercenaries

Love it or hate it, MechWarrior: Dark Age introduced many new designs and design paradigms to the larger BattleTech universe. One of the first - and arguably the most prevalent stylistic choice - would be the various reimaginings of classic older designs. A few 'Mechs would simply see their appearances slightly changed, such as with the Spider or Centurion, but a few others would hint at a gradual improvement of technology via numerical suffixes. The Ryoken II and Mad Cat III would pave the way, with other designs quickly following and eventually leading to the Mad Cat Mk IV’s appearance in the Wolf Hunters novel and the Wolf Strike expansion pack.

The game and background to the Dark Age setting would quickly paint the new Savage Wolf as a Clan Sea Fox design. Originally spawned from an underground deal between Clan Jade Falcon and rogue ovKhan Sha Clarke, further dossiers would suggest that the Savage Wolf was a mostly aesthetic upgrade to the original Timber Wolf; after all, how could you improve on what was widely accepted to be one of the best-designed BattleMechs in the game? This obviously was not necessarily the case in universe. The Savage Wolf had improved and better-protected hips, advanced targeting for the missile launchers, sturdier and more flexible actuators…all by and large untranslatable to the tabletop. Even so, the Timber Wolf and its configurations weren't completely perfect - there were a few potential ways to improve the base design, choices that we can mostly see in the Mad Cat Mk IV prototype models that were introduced in the early 3130s.

The first prototype (PR) would emulate the original Timber Wolf D, dropping a ton of Streak ammo in order to fit in an extra heat sink. More interestingly, an endo-steel critical was shifted from the CT to the Head, allowing this extra heat sink to better pad the Engine and Gyro criticals. The second prototype (PR 2) would then replace the four Streak SRM-6 launchers with two fore-mounted ATM-6s and two aft-mounted ATM-3s. These two variants are fielded by both collaborating Clans - the Sea Foxes and the Falcons - but chances are that neither have ever seen actual mass production. Why? Because of the production design, of course.

~ ~ ~

The similarities between the Timber and the Savage Wolves are few, but important. The Savage Wolf, making a return to the classic tonnage, comes in at 75 tons. Endo-steel makes a predictable return, along with the fifteen double heat sinks mounted in the 375-rated engine. But that’s where similarities end. The engine was upsized to an XXL, giving the Savage Wolf unprecedented weight savings at the cost of more vulnerable side torsos. In a move to almost compensate for this flaw, the gyro is completely armored. Finally, and most importantly, the Ferro-Fibrous composites of the old Timber Wolf were replaced with a hefty 16 tons of Ferro-Lamellor armor. The lot gives this new OmniMech 28 tons of playing space, a half-ton more than the original Timber. Never forget, however...even an extra half-ton can come in handier than you might think. More on that later.

Let's dwell on the armor a bit. For those not in the know, Ferro-Lamellor armor reduces any incoming fire by one point for every five points of damage. Single points of damage are reduced to zero, and lose the ability to cause TACs or pilot hits. In addition, armor-piercing munitions lose their secondary armor-defeating effects, although their full damage potential is dealt upon every hit. To put this into numbers, the most common damage blocks of the most widespread weapons (5/10/15 damage) get reduced by 20% each, while 7-point hits common in Clan warfare get knocked down by 28.6%. Missile munitions find themselves hurt the most through this damage reduction; SRMs get their damage reduced by 50% per missile, while LRM or MRM clusters find their secondary clusters (of 1-4 damage) reduced more than usual. But by simply assuming the bare minimum of a 20% damage reduction, the Savage Wolf has an effective armor layout of:

Code: [Select]
         FRONT                REAR             
         (11)                 (  )               
      /30|44|30\           / 9|10| 9\         
     (30/ || \30)         (   |  |   )       
       /  /\  \               /  \               
      (39/  \39)             /    \     

TOTAL: 281 points of armor 

Compare this layout - and total - with other designs and you’ll quickly see that it’s largely comparable to fully-armored 90-ton ‘Mechs. This gives the Savage Wolf more effective armor than, say, the standard Mad Cat Mk II, Executioner, Supernova…or frankly, most designs found on the battlefield. It also propels the Savage Wolf into a role that has up until now been scarcely populated - a heavily armored but quick-moving ‘Mech; a command ‘Mech for faster formations that doesn’t lose out on armor like many traditional heavy cavalry ‘Mechs would. The Foxes made something truly special here - but like every OmniMech, one must also take a look at its configurations.

~ ~ ~

The Prime goes the route of the older Timber Wolf D; it’s a near-perfect copy-paste. Twin ERPPCs, Quad SSRM6 racks with two fore-mounted and two aft. But the somewhat superfluous ER Small Laser and a ton of Streak ammo are sacrificed in a move to streamline the configuration; both are good choices. This (along with that extra half-ton) leaves two extra tons to use when compared to the older D, and they’re both smoothly spent on extra heat sinks. With the added heat put out by XXL engines, this is quite a good idea. Verdict? It builds up heat a bit slower than the older model, deals the same damage as the older model, and in my opinion will outperform the older model four times out of five - especially in a one-one-one fight. BV cost is basically the same, too. Not a bad config.

For the A, we have a clone of the Timber Wolf E. Twin ER Large Lasers supported by dual ATM9s. Some streamlining happened again, with two tons of excess ATM ammo (leaving four tons - 14 shots per launcher - left) dropped alongside the Light TAG. The seventeen double heat sinks of the Timber Wolf E are reduced by one, leaving this Savage Wolf four tons to spend on four Small Pulse Lasers. These changes are, on the surface, a bit less attractive; the old Timber Wolf E builds up only movement heat when alpha-striking, while our new A spikes up by 8 if attempting to fire both ERLLs and ATM racks while running. That just shows where the A performs best - at point-blank range. Shooting an ER Large Laser, both ATM/9s with HE ammo and three Small Pulse Lasers gives almost the same damage potential (61 dmg vs 62 dmg for the Timber E) for the same heat increase when running (or less when walking) and more options for juggling the heat burden. BV is a good 31 points lower than the older model this time, but the loss of ranged damage is slightly annoying. It is no deal breaker, though...losing an ATM/9 at extreme ranges will rarely win or lose a battle. I personally mostly bemoan the loss of the Light TAG, but the addition of AI firepower is a welcome sight.

The B is an interesting configuration, largely in part because of its unique nature. It doesn’t have a shared background with any Timber Wolf configurations, instead bearing a weapons loadout somewhat reminiscent of those old Summoner configs the Falcons love to use. Three weapon systems are carried here: an Improved Heavy Large Laser in the left arm, a HAG/30 with three tons of ammo (12 shots) in the right arm/torso, and an ATM/9 with two tons of ammo (14 shots) in the left torso. CASE II in the left and right torsos protect against any ATM ammo/HAG/potential iHHL explosions. This things isn’t subtle, and it isn’t delicate. It can slam targets with up to 75 damage at close range, all while bringing dual threats of a headcapper/anti-air to the battlefield and always giving itself decent firepower even if its target has Reactive or Reflective armor. The only downside is that it builds up movement heat - and on an XXL ‘Mech that adds up fast. The heat isn't easy to deal with either; either you drop the HAG or ATM rack to keep things neutral, or else you ditch the iHLL every other turn to keep the heat manageable. It's one fierce customer, though, and underestimating it is a recipe for disaster.

Our final config to date, the C, is a new take on the oldest and most common Timber Wolf formula. Two ER Large Lasers in the arms with two ER Mediums underneath, twin LRM/15 racks in the side torsos, and two Medium Pulse Lasers mounted centerline for a finish. The LRMs showcase the interesting “modern” addition to this config, with Artemis-V heavily increasing the accuracy of the missiles while CASE II in both torsos gives the three tons of LRM ammo much better protection than before. The downside, though, is that no heat sinks are added beyond the base fifteen. Still, ranged damage output remains fairly consistent when compared to the Timber Wolf, if a bit less concentrated. The endurance at range (12 turns of fire vs the traditional 6 for the LRMs) and the added accuracy of the LRMs might even slightly increase damage potential. Close in, damage is slightly reduced (31 for the C vs 38 for the TW-Prime) but only if ignoring the use of LRMs. This can partially be attributed to the lack of machine guns (accounting for four damage), a weapon system with terrible range and an accompanying ammo bomb. Still, it's definitely not a bad configuration for what it does, it just takes a bit of finesse. It is 59 BV more expensive than the old Timber Wolf Prime, but that’s not much of a difference. I give it a pass, and would still consider fielding it over the original if given the choice.

~ ~ ~

The Savage Wolf has a beautiful base chassis even if the canon configurations aren't your cup of tea. Its combination of armor, firepower and heat dissipation make it an upgrade over a surprising number of competing omnimechs - all in exchange its heightened internal vulnerability. Its improved armor make it an easy choice over older Mad Dogs or Gargoyles, where it can claim most of their configurations and use them better than the originals ever could. While it loses the internal durability to the Kingfisher, it can act as a quicker delivery platform for most of those configs - barring those heavy in external heat sinks. The Summoner or even the Septicemia are two other potential sources of inspiration, although the Savage Wolf’s inability to use jump jets well keep it ground-bound save for the most heat-efficient configs. Even the original Hellbringer configs can be fielded better by the Savage Wolf. It can even take the Warwolf’s less heat-efficient loadouts and steal them - for example, making the Warwolf H significantly better in nearly every way.

This isn’t to say that the Savage Wolf can replace any XL’d 5/8 OmniMech. As we’ve already seen, a certain ironic twist has it struggling with the heat dissipation for many of the Timber Wolf’s traditional loadouts. The Cauldron Born is too much of a gunboat to mimic without sacrificing firepower, while the Karhu’s mobile doctrine prevents the Savage Wolf from copying things too closely. And two of the newer “iconic” Heavies - the Mad Dog Mk III and Grand Summoner - invest too much into weight-saving technologies for the Savage Wolf and its heavier armor to completely copy.

Interestingly enough, the Savage Wolf doesn’t make many Spheroid Omnis fully obsolete. The Vandal and Templar III are two obvious ‘Mechs that can be pushed aside via proper Savage Wolf marketing, but there are few other heavier Inner Sphere OmniMechs with less than 30+ tons of podspace. The Avatar, Sunder and Perseus can all have certain of their configurations made better through ClanTech, but the moment those ‘Mechs start carrying their own Clan weaponry they transform into gunboats of a completely different breed. As such, the Savage Wolf would hold a rather large market share to itself (and the Mad Dog Mk IV), one where most Inner Sphere states simply don’t have any competing heavy cavalry OmniMechs of its kind to fight against it.

Finally, the Foxes themselves can put the Savage Wolf to good use. No strangers to fast-attack Assault 'Mechs, the Foxes has many heavier lancemates to pair with this new OmniMech: the Phoenix Hawk IIC 6/7/8, the Warhammer IIC 8/9/12, the Mad Cat Mk II 4/5/6/Enhanced, and even the Jade Hawk or Mad Dog Mk IV all fit into this high-durability, high-speed doctrine. If they ever have to launch a larger campaign or a trial on a greater scale, any and all heavy combat will occur when the Foxes want it, where they want it.

It’s through all of this that we can really start to get an image of how the Savage Wolf could become such a bestseller within every state of the Sphere. It’s a solid replacement for many older (and even certain newer) OmniMechs in Clan space. It’s a new and frankly as-of-now unmatched commodity in Successor space. And if a Periphery state somehow gets its hands on a few? It cuts through IntroTech like a hot knife through butter. Melted butter.

~ ~ ~

I know the Savage Wolf was one of - if not the most anticipated 'Mech out of the entire 3145 line-up. It had extremely high expectations to live up to, and a heritage that few other 'Mechs ever had to compete against. Certain players might have been disappointed with it, others might have a new machine to use whenever possible. The only certainty is that this 'Mech is one that should be fielded at least once by every player - Spheroid, Clan or Apathetic - as the harbinger for a new age of BattleTech.

Master Unit List: http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=mad+cat+mk+iv
CamoSpecs: https://camospecs.com/iwm/mad-cat-iv-savage-wolf/
Iron Wind Metals: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8517
« Last Edit: 23 January 2021, 01:19:35 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Avitue

• Sergeant
  • Avitue's Avenging Angels
Re: 'Mech of the Week: Mad Cat Mk IV (Savage Wolf)
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2015, 22:49:26 »
You forget to mention it's most defining feature: Price :D

I wonder how it's in-universe advertising campaign goes? "Buy your Savage Wolf now! Only costs as much as a Company of Atlases!"  ;D

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2015, 22:57:29 »
I always wanted the Diamond Sharks to use more Mad Cats. I love that mech. They turned their whole toucan into variations of them. Wish fulfilled.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2015, 23:16:16 »
Does interstellar ops era's list a different price for xxl's? I know that the description of the goshawk says things about maximum profit... so they certainly make money off the engine's.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2015, 23:19:17 »
Great write up! I never thought the Savage Wolf wold live up to the hype of a next gen Timber Wolf but they pulled it off. And they did it without overshadowing other designs (well, not too many)

Yes, the price tag is comical but that's one of the only things keeping EVERYONE from piloting a Savage Wolf.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2015, 04:22:45 »
A great mech with some interesting design choices.
It's insanely expensive, but the prices for equipment haven't been updated in ages and might as well be safely ignored.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2015, 05:33:34 »
Superb article :) I've not taken a Kitty IV out myself but this article gives a great feel for the Bugatti Veryon of Heavy Mech's.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2015, 08:15:54 »
Yeah article hit the nail on the head - you look at the primary config and think "hmm, Timber Wolf D" but then you glance at the engine and armour and spit-take (or maybe that's when looking at the price...)

That's it really. Assault armour and cavalry speeds with Timber Wolf firepower. So simple and yet so awesome, a showcase of what Clantech can achieve.

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2015, 09:42:39 »
I love the A config and use one in my Ghost Bear Assault Trinary. I like how the damage profile increases as it gets closer and it has the protection to close the range.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2015, 10:09:45 »
I've never actually used any of the Savage Wolf's canon configurations; the handful of times I've fielded one, it's always been in this config.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Avitue

• Sergeant
  • Avitue's Avenging Angels
« Reply #10 on: 08 November 2015, 11:51:48 »
If anything, the Savage Wolf is a demonstration of just how BRUTAL the sharkfoxes are as merchant.

Look at that thing.

All weapons clantech - good luck finding ANOTHER supplier when you need spares
Ferro-Lamellor Armor - Clan-product only, call us for import rates!
XXLFE - Lost a side torso but salvaged your ride? no problem! Just order a new engine!

The profits from Savage Wolf maintenance has got to be GINORMOUS. No wonder they made Petr Kalasa (head of the project) OvKhan of his Khanate shortly after.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2015, 11:57:46 »
There is a reason I have jokingly gone over who has gained the most from Dark Age as suspects for causing the Blackout and immediately go "What about the Sharkfoxes?"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2015, 13:30:22 »
I've been wanting to try this mech out ever since I got the TRO.  Sadly, my normal group doesn't care much for playing in the Dark Age.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2015, 14:26:00 »
I did field one of these recently, and I found that it does have one general weakness, and that is versus rotary AC's.
Even the Rotary 2 is dangerous, because those are still one point hits, capable of pilot wounding or TAC damage. Ferro Lamilar does not totally negate TAC's.. just those caused by LBX autocannons.
I was weathering the normal fire, just fine, but my opponent had a pair of "Assault Pikes" on the table... the Pike Support Vehicle with the 3 Rotary 2's each..... and opened on me with those....  and you might scoff at it, but getting hit with the equivalent of an LBX30 (one gun missed), and eating a total of 24 shells does hurt.... even if they are one point hits --- I took 2 head hits, and got one side torso TAC on the engine, of course --- followed by a good bathing in inferno gel.
By the time I was cooled down enough to get aggressive again, my armor was down to single digits, and once internal, this is a fragile design.... which is the secret to using this design. It is not a skulker, or support design, it is designed to power it's way down the throat of anyone, and rely on it's heavy shell for the protection it needs, as once the armor is gone, it turns fragile very quickly.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2015, 15:04:51 »
You forget to mention it's most defining feature: Price :D

I personally don't believe that the canon price of the XXL engine remains accurate in the Dark Ages. But if it is, you'd probably have a higher chance of getting a Savage Wolf through material trade with the Foxes or by cashing in a few favors.

I did field one of these recently, and I found that it does have one general weakness, and that is versus rotary AC's.
Even the Rotary 2 is dangerous, because those are still one point hits, capable of pilot wounding or TAC damage. Ferro Lamilar does not totally negate TAC's.. just those caused by LBX autocannons.

I'd argue that most 'Mechs have the same vulnerability to RAC spam; would a standard Timber Wolf really have done any better? Or a normal Spheroid XL engine'd 'Mech?

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 08 November 2015, 15:50:29 »
I agree, but with the ability to ignore LBX clusters... people get overconfident, and charge in ---
I was noting that it still is vulnerable to the high volume of hits .... just because you can ignore LBX clusters, does not mean you can ignore light guns as a whole.
RAC spam is insidious, though, especially the Rotary 2 --- Recently was chatting with some friends about the new Atlas, and every one of them saw the Streak LRM20 as the most dangerous weapon on it ---- I am still convinced that the most dangerous weapon is the Rotary 2.... at least on that design, as people see AC/2 and underestimate the versatility.

The Savage Wolf has a tough shell, and as long as you are aware of what CAN be dangerous to you, you can really use it well.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 08 November 2015, 15:52:03 »
Honestly, I'd say that the most effective weapons against this mech are either massed medium lasers or AC/5s, 10s, and 20s.  You really want to make sure that your damage clusters are divisible by 5 when you start shooting FL armor to keep the least damage degradation.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 08 November 2015, 17:00:23 »
Honestly, I'd say that the most effective weapons against this mech are either massed medium lasers or AC/5s, 10s, and 20s.  You really want to make sure that your damage clusters are divisible by 5 when you start shooting FL armor to keep the least damage degradation.

You definitely want big hits. 5-point hits play into its armor layout, with the arms and side torsos neatly blocking two 15-point hits with no bleed-over. Even so, they've got a better chance of barreling through one of the side torsos quickly or lopping off a head, so...avoid smaller guns, go for bigger ones.

IMO, this make the Savage Wolf disproportionately dangerous against most lighter machines...unless you can quickly backstab and burn through that rear armor. It's no tougher than on a standard 'Mech, so using something like a Prey Seeker here is a valid and frankly dangerous tactic.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 08 November 2015, 17:02:20 »
Also worth noting that the Prey-Seeker's Re-engineered lasers will burn through FL armor with no loss in damage.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #19 on: 08 November 2015, 18:12:29 »
I personally don't believe that the canon price of the XXL engine remains accurate in the Dark Ages. But if it is, you'd probably have a higher chance of getting a Savage Wolf through material trade with the Foxes or by cashing in a few favors.

It shouldn't be. A c-bill just represents the cost of labor. The value of the engine after the prototypes stage would be way lower.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #20 on: 08 November 2015, 18:31:07 »
'Keep shooting until it's dead' is a popular strategy for dealing with most mechs ;)
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 08 November 2015, 18:36:12 »
Of course, but my point is that weapons with damage clusters that fall outside of the 5 point spot are more strongly affected by FL armor- an IS medium laser loses 1 point of damage while a Medium Pulse Laser loses two, so they both end up inflicting 4 points, for example.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #22 on: 08 November 2015, 18:59:14 »
Who says that you can't design a Mech by committee?

From memory this Mech is pretty crit packed. How does that effect variants? The inability to mount big ACs or heaps of HS could be restricting.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 08 November 2015, 19:29:57 »
Who says that you can't design a Mech by committee?

From memory this Mech is pretty crit packed. How does that effect variants? The inability to mount big ACs or heaps of HS could be restricting.

Did CGL design it by committee? That'd be pretty interesting.

Although it is critpacked, it does pretty well at carrying nearly every config. The old Timber Wolf regularly had crits left over, this Savage Wolf simply uses those up. The only problems it would face would be with:
a) Configs with a high number of external heat sinks,
b) Configs using improved jump jets,
c) Configs with the big guns in the arms.

It can mount nearly all ballistic weapons (IIRC), but you'd have to mount them in the torsos instead of the arms. That might clash with the standard design "style" for Mad Cats, but the B already sort of started with that, so...

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 08 November 2015, 20:37:03 »
It is usually a submit design/team review process. This got a lot of review because of the existing stats and the inherent difficulty of building a better Timberwolf. Eg XXL engines are controversial with good reason but was eventually resolved as a necessity to allow other attributes.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #25 on: 08 November 2015, 20:54:41 »

The Savage Wolf could have been great if it hadn't blown so much tonnage on its gyro.  Had the Savage Wolf gone with an XL gyro (like the Wulfen), instead of an armored gyro, the savings in tonnage would have made up most of the difference between its XXL engine and a more survivable, less expensive XL engine (and generated a couple more spare crit slots, to boot).  Shaving armor, freezers, and/or pod tonnage could have made up the rest.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #26 on: 08 November 2015, 21:02:12 »
I believe the point of contention you are looking at there is "mixtech".
This is what makes the Wulfen so interesting. The Clans don't really do mixtech outside of experimental units.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 08 November 2015, 21:45:50 »
I'm generally okay with the use of an XXL on this 'Mech.  It's more vulnerable, for sure, and definitely runs hotter, but I (re-)learned just how much armor and crits will drastically change a game over the weekend, so full FL and armored hips/gyros get my vote as good ideas.  Anything that can keep you walking out on your own power longer.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #28 on: 08 November 2015, 22:31:40 »
I believe the point of contention you are looking at there is "mixtech".  This is what makes the Wulfen so interesting.  The Clans don't really do mixtech outside of experimental units.

I dunno.  The Wulfen entered production at Kallon on Thermopolis in 3142 and is classed as "Mixed Tech (Advanced)", not experimental.  The Jade Hawk has Spheroid claws.  The Loki Mk II C fields a Long Tom cannon.  The Gravedigger has a Spheroid chassis and engine.  The Surat is built around the Spheroid Gray Death Standard frame.

Other mixed tech Clan units, like the Skinwalker, Parash 3, Cougar-XR, Ursus-PR, Ha Otoko-HR, Beowulf IIC-PR, and Rogue Bear-HR, are clearly experimental, as they appear in XTROs instead of TROs.

FWIW...

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 09 November 2015, 01:30:13 »
More than anything else, having a Savage Wolf as your personal ride is the ultimate statement of power and wealth for a mercenary commander. I have seen the nearly obscene C-Bill price (91-93 million C-Bills?!). That's nearly enough for an entire company of Assault 'Mechs. I don't see any mercenary group managing to get more than a single Savage Wolf, which the CO will claim for their exclusive use.

Now, the Inner Sphere Clans might be lucky enough to have two or more in a single Cluster, but that would be due to intentional assignment and routing the new purchases to front-line Elite formations, putting them at the control of Warriors you can trust will use them to their fullest extent.