Author Topic: Phoenix, AZ Battletech in 2016  (Read 38366 times)

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
Re: Phoenix, AZ Battletech in 2016
« Reply #60 on: 10 March 2016, 14:19:13 »
Next date will be the 9th, not the 2nd. (Magic tournament at Game Depot.)

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #61 on: 10 March 2016, 14:41:48 »
Saturday is a good day for Battletech, can't let it go to waste!  People can still meet up to play a game!
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #62 on: 08 April 2016, 01:08:24 »
Bump as reminder for the game on Saturday!   O0

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #63 on: 09 April 2016, 22:23:16 »
Wouldn't mind seeing this scenario again just so I can play the other side.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 10 April 2016, 00:43:01 »
Thanks! I've tried asymmetric battles before and I think I finally got the balance right. This scenario seems like one that really rewards thinking -- the Highlander players in this battle didn't try to use their speed to destroy half the WoB force before the other half could close, and paid for that mistake dearly. They split pretty much evenly, and so both north and south sides of the map were down 1500 BV.

Northwind Highlanders: (Deployment - top 3 south, next 2 mid heading north, last 2 north)
Specter 5S
Javelin 11A
Wolfhound 4W
Thunder 1L
Flashman 8K
Locust 6M (0/1 pilot!)
Hammer 3C (0/0 pilot!!)

Word of Blake: (Deployment - top 5 south, bottom 3 north)
Deva Dominus
Preta Invictus
Ostscout 9CS
Ostsol 8M
Ostscout 11J
WHM 9S
Legacy 02
Exterminator 5E

The Blakist forces in the north got hit on their way in with the Locust and Hammer using their speed & skill to get round 1 back shots. In the south, the Blakist forces missed a lot of easy shots and got peppered in return. The Specter activated its ECM to block the C3I, and the Ostscout 9CS flipped its ECM to ECCM and maneuvered to keep the Specter within its bubble. Round 2 had the Highlander's northern lights pull back as their two heavies moved in. In the south, lots of armor was removed -- mainly from Highlander 'mechs.

Round 3 was the turning point, as the Thunder blew up from an ammo critical. In the south, the three Highlander 'mechs remained alive but badly beaten up.

Round 4 saw the elimination of the Specter, Javelin and Ostcout in the south as the Ostsol headed north to help against the Flashman (or maybe swat one of the gnats dogging the WoB heavies).

On round 5 the Wolfhound was dragged down, the Hammer had its head kicked off, and the Flashman was hit hard. Round 6 didn't occur, as the Highlander players threw in the (tartan) towel.
Quote of the game: "OK, kick hits, that's 13 damage on the punch table... <rolls 6> Head!"
(Yeah, that's how the game went for the Highlanders...)

(Memo, me: Toss camera bag in with Battletech stuff instead of relying on cellphone camera.)
« Last Edit: 10 April 2016, 00:46:42 by Joel47 »

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: 10 April 2016, 00:54:38 »
Next game will be May 14th. I'm going to whip up something allowing experimental rules, probably late Jihad era. After that, I hope to launch a new campaign!

Also, since the Facebook page started by the Tucson players is doing well, I've started my own. Go to Facebook, search for Battletech Phoenix, and send a request to join.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2016, 10:32:35 by Joel47 »

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #66 on: 10 April 2016, 17:49:12 »
The Fall of Geneva
Saturday, May 14, 1pm at Game Depot, Tempe.

Mission Synopsis:  September, 3078.  Having outmaneuvered the liberating forces, a large Blakist force is marching out of Geneva into the face of a hastily scraped-together blocking force.

Unit selection:  Miniatures & record sheets for pre-made forces will be provided, or players may bring their own. 

Attacker (WoB 4th Division & 51st Shadow Division): 5000 BV. Elite units - no skills worse than 3/4. Unit List Link: http://tinyurl.com/huczvju
    Defender (the rest of the Inner Sphere): 5000 BV. Unit List link: http://tinyurl.com/hgml8nz
    Both: Max four units; bringing over four units incurs a penalty: for each unit over three, the total BV available is reduced by 10% (500 BV).  Infantry counts as half a unit per stand, but only half your force (rounded up) may be infantry.
    Both: Advanced and Experimental units are allowed, except those using: Artillery, Artillery Cannons, HVAC, Cockpit Command Console, Field Artillery, 'Mech Mortars, Mine Dispensers, Mines, and the following Munitions: Magnetic Pulse Missiles, Smoke Missiles, Swarm Missiles, Tandem-Charge Missiles, Tear Gas SRMs.
    Piloting/Driving/AntiMech and Gunnery Skills may not differ by more than two.
    Experimental (but not Advanced) tech and units are allowed. They are included in the above Master Unit List links.
    Make the GM's life easy by making forces for both sides; if you have a preference, show up a little early. Sides will be determined by preference first, but an attempt will be made to keep the sides even in numbers.
    Bringing assembled miniatures that match units your force will give each "correct" model one point of Edge, usable to re-roll one roll directly affecting it once during the battle.  This does not apply to forces provided by the GM.

Terrain and setup description:  The battle will be held on a 4’ x 6’ map (2” hexes; 24x36).  Expect rolling hills and forests  Each side will move on to one of the narrow sides of the map on the first turn.

Victory Conditions:  Victory points are scored equal to the BV of destroyed units plus one half the BV of crippled or withdrawn units.

Special Rules:  With a few exceptions, only Total Warfare rules will be used.

There is no “edge of the world.”  If a 'mech is up against a map edge, the three hexes that would be surrounding the 'mech off the board are now legal hexes for movement; occupying any of those hexes opens up more hexes, etc.
    The following rules from Tactical Operations will be used:  Floating Crits, Sprinting, Evading, Crawling, Careful Stand, Firing When Down, ECCM, Expanded Backward Movement, Expanded Stacking, Gauss Shut Off, Active Probe Targeting, Retractable Blades.
    No linking of C3 between multiple players.

Notes: Experimental vs Advanced is actually a bit tricky. What I'm after can be summed up as "no arty or other area-effect weapons, no mines, no smoke." So while Cruise Missiles are Experimental, no. Just no. On the other hand, Thunderbolt missiles are fine.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2016, 10:18:10 by Joel47 »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #67 on: 10 April 2016, 21:34:23 »
Thanks! I've tried asymmetric battles before and I think I finally got the balance right. This scenario seems like one that really rewards thinking -- the Highlander players in this battle didn't try to use their speed to destroy half the WoB force before the other half could close, and paid for that mistake dearly. They split pretty much evenly, and so both north and south sides of the map were down 1500 BV.

Northwind Highlanders: (Deployment - top 3 south, next 2 mid heading north, last 2 north)
Specter 5S
Javelin 11A
Wolfhound 4W
Thunder 1L
Flashman 8K
Locust 6M (0/1 pilot!)
Hammer 3C (0/0 pilot!!)

Word of Blake: (Deployment - top 5 south, bottom 3 north)
Deva Dominus
Preta Invictus
Ostscout 9CS
Ostsol 8M
Ostscout 11J
WHM 9S
Legacy 02
Exterminator 5E

Wow. 
2 Heavies & 5 Lights  v/s  Assault, 4 Heavies, Medium, 2 Lights 
I'm not sure I'd call that even close to balanced.
2 lights w/ 0-gunners? 
This feels a lot like the Battle of Outreach we had several years ago.
It didn't end well for the Mercs there either.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2016, 21:38:17 by Hellraiser »
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: 10 April 2016, 22:01:44 »
Those two super-light 'mechs were definitely a mistake (not one of my forces, BTW). Sure, they hit all the time, but they didn't have enough punch to bring anything down. However, change those two for something like the three lights in the other force, and have everything slam one of the two WoB lines, and the thinking after the game was that the outcome might very well have been different.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #69 on: 10 April 2016, 22:53:28 »
The Mercs were short a total of 3000 BV more or less given that it was 3 on 3.  But if they had concentrated on one force they would have had a local superiority of more than 5000 BV until the two Blakist forces could rejoin.  The high number of lights were definitely a mistake IMHO.  I also think they should of picked the north side to concentrate on.  They had a number of non-jumpers and the more open terrain would have let them maneuver better. 

The one change I would make to the scenario would be to have the Blakist for write down which units would enter on which end of the map prior the Highlanders placing their units.  Being able to see where they were placing their units ahead of time did have an effect on which end of the maps we chose of each of our forces. 

As for the Blakists the other two forces used 3Ci which I have to say I thought was a waste of points even though the Highlanders only had one ECM unit so they really weren't able to shut either network down.  The fight on the south end was a melee pretty much from start to finish and the north end with only two linked units couldn't really capitalize on the network especially with the Legacy jumping every turn. 

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #70 on: 10 April 2016, 23:26:00 »
For Fall of Geneva did you mean to leave House Kurita off the Defender List?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #71 on: 11 April 2016, 09:22:24 »
Didn't mean to. Link updated, thanks.

Triss

• Recruit
« Reply #72 on: 11 April 2016, 10:03:07 »
Can we go with the 'what you're after rules' and just require that people actually read the mech sheet and rules?

Every mech I wanted to try out in a game with you guys seems to be advanced (VSPLs or Claws).

The only EXP mechs I even have are the archer, thunderbolt and as of yet not assembled Omega...

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: 11 April 2016, 10:15:19 »
Part of the reason for this scenario is the "When can I play my Omega?" question I get asked about once per game...  :D

But yes, it might be easier to spec it that way. Just ask first (PM or email) if there's any doubt, because due to the difficulty in sorting out design legality at this level I'm going to have to reserve the right to say, "No," and hand a player one of my pre-made forces.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 11 April 2016, 10:21:03 »
Suggestion.
If your rolling out all the advanced tech.  (Omegas.. etc)
I would open up the Tech to include all designs for said factions.
It allows the few captured Clan machines a faction might have to come out.
Also, it opens up those Hybrid machines from OP: Bulldog that Never get the option of being used to come out & play for once.
Just a thought.  :)

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Triss

• Recruit
« Reply #75 on: 11 April 2016, 10:23:21 »
Another issue I noticed... Master Unit List treats EXP as a 'higher' tech level than 'ADV' The Naginata NG-C3Ar has a VSPL (advanced) and a boosted C3 (experimental) and it is classed experimental.

Worse yet by simplifying your rules to X-List and Y-List you have allowed the PLG-X4 Anvil, which has not one but two long tom arty cannons, because it has experimental coolant pods.

I would just send out an email requesting that all lists be approved by you.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #76 on: 11 April 2016, 10:33:15 »
It allows the few captured Clan machines a faction might have to come out.
Also, it opens up those Hybrid machines from OP: Bulldog that Never get the option of being used to come out & play for once.

No. BV doesn't work well across tech boundaries, so I don't like mixing Clan & IS (especially Hybrid -- Clan weapons on IS chassis has always felt under-BV'd to me).

I would just send out an email requesting that all lists be approved by you.

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that, but that's probably the way to go. I'll put together a list of banned components, and then allow everything else (subject to approval).

Triss

• Recruit
« Reply #77 on: 11 April 2016, 10:52:23 »
Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that, but that's probably the way to go. I'll put together a list of banned components, and then allow everything else (subject to approval).

In this case Master Unit List just isn't able to filter well enough...

Part of the reason for this scenario is the "When can I play my Omega?" question I get asked about once per game...  :D

But yes, it might be easier to spec it that way. Just ask first (PM or email) if there's any doubt, because due to the difficulty in sorting out design legality at this level I'm going to have to reserve the right to say, "No," and hand a player one of my pre-made forces.
It's a tiny bit unfair I think, to say this is a scenario that is any good for playing an omega though.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #78 on: 11 April 2016, 13:52:32 »
It's being fought on Terra, right?  That's about the only criteria for deciding whether to play one IMO.   :D

As to the MUL it does seem a bit screwy when you get into this time frame.  Equipment is starting to shift from their old categories to their new ones.  I think it's kind of stupid that each piece of equipment has its own date of transition.  Nice from a fluff perspective but a pain in the butt from a rules perspective IMHO.

Triss

• Recruit
« Reply #79 on: 11 April 2016, 14:48:33 »
So snub nose PPCs, VSPL, Heavy Gauss, etc have variable damage based on range bracket. The assumption is that this means they do not gain any benefit from C3/C3i for the purpose of determining damage value.

This question has come up in my group before and I ruled that the damage is affected based on range to firer. I imagine this question will come up and internet searches don't tell me any official rulings that I can find?

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #80 on: 11 April 2016, 21:14:34 »
C3 only affects to hit modifiers.  Damage is still based on the actual range to target.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #81 on: 11 April 2016, 22:49:11 »
Correct. TW, p131 says:
Quote from: TotalWarfare
Minimum Ranges: Minimum range is always determined from the attacking unit to the target.
Variable Damage Weapons: The range, to determine the Damage Value of a Variable Damage Weapon, is always determined from the attacking unit to the target.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 11 April 2016, 23:17:51 »
No. BV doesn't work well across tech boundaries, so I don't like mixing Clan & IS (especially Hybrid -- Clan weapons on IS chassis has always felt under-BV'd to me).

I hear you.   And most days I agree.
But if your unleashing an Omega, then, I really can't say that mixing tech is the issue that it might seem to be.  The minute you give the IS all the "Advanced" toys they have then "basic" clan doesn't feel quite so broken. 
At least to me.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #83 on: 11 April 2016, 23:42:30 »
The Omega is tough but it's not that tough.  Not that I'd like to see it backed up by Clan Tech, however.   :o

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #84 on: 11 April 2016, 23:45:38 »
Yeah, as a habitual medium driver, all I see when I look at the Omega is a lot of points wrapped up in one convenient, easy to flank package.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #85 on: 12 April 2016, 00:25:40 »
Are we playing with Aerospace units?!?

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #86 on: 12 April 2016, 00:27:41 »
No. I  guess I should have been MUCH more careful with those check boxes...

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #87 on: 12 April 2016, 00:30:49 »
ROFL!  ;D :D O:-)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 12 April 2016, 06:46:19 »
The Omega is tough but it's not that tough.  Not that I'd like to see it backed up by Clan Tech, however.   :o
I was more thinking using the clan tech to kill it.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #89 on: 12 April 2016, 09:36:36 »
I was more thinking using the clan tech to kill it.

Yeah, I know.

Register