Author Topic: Today, I Felt the Sting of Defeat  (Read 5131 times)

Mapmaster

• Warrant Officer
  • You're going to need a bigger table
    • Mapmaster Battlemaps
Today, I Felt the Sting of Defeat
« on: 17 January 2016, 22:27:39 »
Headcapped!  >:( :-[ :'( #P

A little background:
I started playing BT with a couple of friends about 1993 or so. For four years or more, we would simply pick out some mechs and fight a game. When it was over, we walked away, boasted our victory, or sulked in defeat. And that was it. Then, I stopped playing. I didn't pick it back up until about 8 years ago, and didn't get into a regular gaming routine until about 3 years ago. In those three years, I've managed to be a player in two separate campaign style games. Other times, I just helped play OpFor. The first of those 2 campaign style games was cut short due to relocating, so the second one has really been the real deal for me. We've managed to keep it going for a good year and a half now.

My Mercs:

Enter Capt. Hans Zeus Olson. A soldier's soldier; calm, capable, reliable, and calculated... my merc captain. He was brought in to lead a brand new outfit that had been culled together with embezzled monies and elements of the Lipton planetary militia that had went AWOL during the onset of the FedCom Civil War. Being the most competent of the first four mechwarriors hired to spearhead the newly formed company, Olson was a natural-born leader. He took the company purse and quickly assembled a lance of mechs to form the talons of the Mockingbird Tactical Reconnaissance Unit. With his fellow mechwarriors saddled into some of the best light mechs money could buy, he seated himself into a nicely customized Lynx that would be the flagship of his C3 network lance.

I've run this commander pilot through 2 separate planetary campaigns. We helped run the Capellans off Fletcher in 3061, developing quite a bit of reputation with the populace, militia, and government. Eventually, we sold out to the Duchy of Small and assisted in negotiating a peaceful handover of Fletcher to the Duchy before departing. Once in the employ of Duke Small, Olson went on to lead several successful raids into bigger house territories, securing war materiel for what would be the eventual invasion of Epsilon Eridani.

By this time, The Mockingbird Group had acquired many more holdings, expanding what was originally a single lance of mechs, hunter light tanks, and a handful of APC's and hover units into a nearly full, combined arms battalion, including a company of mechs, and, of them, a complete assault lance.

Mockingbird Company would play a large role in the invasion of Epsilon Eridani, both as front line support for regiments on the northern hemisphere as well as forming their own raiding party to complicate Kressly Warworks from supplying materiel to the planetary defenders.

It was going well at first. Operations on the northern hemisphere were proving successful, and Mockingbird's first recon raid into Kressly territory uncovered a train full of Brutus tanks outbound for the Port of Kressly. We delivered a good spanking to the merc security detail and withdrew to plan an ambush of the soon to be departing train load of goodies.

And this is where things went south.

But first, let me put this game into proper context...

This is all part of a current player vs. player campaign. Our group is 3 guys; one GM and two players. So, we basically have a referee to mediate 2 opposing forces for longer campaign games. It's really a great concept, I think. Anyway, the other player is also running a merc group, Hell's Ashes, who are serving as the security forces hired on to help defend Kressly.

The setup for this weekend's game was to have my raiding party ambush the train load of tanks defended by a Hell's Ashes lance of mechs, with the objective being to either capture, destroy, or halt the cargo. We would fight on this map: http://mapmasterbattlemaps.com/maps/forest-battefield/forest-battlefield.jpg , with the road being the railroad.

Things got off to a great start. We deployed 2 mech lances, a hover lance, and a handful of spotter units from the western edge of the map, and quickly disabled the train en route while running circles around the defenders. As it began to grind to a halt, the enemy's diabolical plan was exposed: Hell's Ashes had hidden 3 more heavy mechs on the train under tarps, posing as cargo. They quickly deployed, leaving a large number of fragile raiding units within close range of the Ashes' superior fire power. The battlefield was chaos for several rounds. A Zeus had toppled off the car it was deploying from, making for an easy target. Mockingbird units capitalized on this, but were never able to finish the beats off. In a desperate attempt to get one more salvo in on the Zeus, a Mockingbird Trebuchet charged into range of a defending Victor. One torso armor breach from an AC/20 ignited the LRM ammo in the Trebuchet, leaving the Mockingbird raiding party in a desperate situation.

Capt. Olson lept into action drawing fire away from units under his command. His fellow lancemates scrambled for range, trying to use the heavy forest for cover while allowing their C3 network to improve the precision of their attacks on vulnerable defenders. Unlike his lancemates, Capt. Olson stood his ground against the Victor that had turned the tide for the defenders and they squared away with each other for an intense exchange of weapons fire.

And then, just like that, a round of deadly autocannon fire found it's mark. Capt. Olson's com link went dead and the raiding party fell into disarray and a sudden retreat.

And that's how I lost my merc company captain. Altogether, the losses totalled 2 mechs, 3 hovercraft, and all associated crews. And to top it all off? The train was full of junk hulls from the factory. Kressly pulled the old switcheroo at the last minute. Not even the defenders had a clue.

Yeah.

And now that I've told this story, I can safely say that I absolutely love this game and would lose my favorite PC all over again to be this immersed.

And if you made it this far, thanks for reading! Feel free to leave your sentiments for Capt. Olson here. His lance mates would appreciate a kind word.
« Last Edit: 17 January 2016, 23:08:03 by Mapmaster »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Today, I Felt the Sting of Defeat
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2016, 00:00:38 »
Edge? Sounds like the good Captain could have earned some. Heck, being RP, I'd allow a glancing blow, followed by a period of convalesence - maybe a cybernetic arm or leg for fun. (Never let the facts prevent a good narrative hook.)

Heck, that scenario almost writes itself.

"The Mockingbirds scattered when Capt. Olson fell. What they didn't realise was the Captain was still alive. Just. The Hell's Ashes troopers found him in the wreckage of his cockpit when they tried to salvage his 'Mech.

The Captain's still holding on. The mercs intend to ship him to the starport for treatment off-world - at least they're that decent, but they don't want him back on the field against him. The Mockingbirds have little time, and few options:
- Try and recapture the Captain in-transit to the spaceport. Won't be easy, and might harm the Captain.
- Take something of the enemy's, and arrange a swap.
- Try and take out the spaceport somehow, delay moving him off-world
- And then, there's always the unexpected ..."
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Mapmaster

• Warrant Officer
    • Mapmaster Battlemaps
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2016, 00:27:52 »
Edge? Sounds like the good Captain could have earned some. Heck, being RP, I'd allow a glancing blow, followed by a period of convalesence - maybe a cybernetic arm or leg for fun. (Never let the facts prevent a good narrative hook.)

Heck, that scenario almost writes itself.

"The Mockingbirds scattered when Capt. Olson fell. What they didn't realise was the Captain was still alive. Just. The Hell's Ashes troopers found him in the wreckage of his cockpit when they tried to salvage his 'Mech.

The Captain's still holding on. The mercs intend to ship him to the starport for treatment off-world - at least they're that decent, but they don't want him back on the field against him. The Mockingbirds have little time, and few options:
- Try and recapture the Captain in-transit to the spaceport. Won't be easy, and might harm the Captain.
- Take something of the enemy's, and arrange a swap.
- Try and take out the spaceport somehow, delay moving him off-world
- And then, there's always the unexpected ..."

Yeah, I could definitely see a campaign going there, but I actually like rolling with it. We always ran a brutal D&D game where favorite characters would just get killed and that was that.

The truth is, Capt. Olson wasn't really THE guy. There's still one above him. A figure known simply as "The VIP". He bankrolls the whole operation and is the brains behind the business end of things. A member of the planetary government there, he was with the militia when they deserted on Lipton, tucked into a pack of political refugees at risk of being detained. It is assumed that this was a calculated move.

Olson was just the best mechwarrior out of four pilots initially hired by the VIP on Outreach. Olson trained the backbone of the company into the effective machine they became in their first two years by devising the tactics that made a name for them. He showed a lot of valor on the field and was inspirational to the morale of the defective militia.

But his spoils only served to bring on more mechwarriors and equipment... deadly pilots seasoned by the Chaos March. Although vying for the title of top pilot, there were others just as capable. The only question that remains now is if any of these killers are leaders or not.

One among them, 1st Lt. Scucz Hektor, is currently acting as the XO in charge of the assault team on the northern hemishpere. Olson's raiding party is definitely done with Kressly, but this war's still got a long way to go.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2016, 01:21:24 »
Kressly really deserves a little loving from the Mockingbirds for that switch.
Sounds like a fun campaign. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Don Lunardi

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple on Purple!
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2016, 01:26:02 »
I like it though, and kudos for not taking the easy "Edge" way out.  Makes for a much more heroic and memorable character to burn bright and go out in a final blaze of glory than to wind up magically dodging every mortal blow time and again.  Not to mention, it helps keep a campaign in check from eventually ruination thanks to neigh-unkillable super Elite PC pilots.  If one can deal casualties, one should be prepared to take some of their own.
"Andurien: It's Hell with Jump Points!" - Failed Marketing Slogan for Tourism Andurien, circa 2398

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2016, 01:42:51 »
Though losing those favorite characters.  Still remember losing my original PC back in the mid 90s.  It was the same person I played with since the beginning.  Started in a stinger and worked his way up.  Died in a Stalker, to the headcap of a Centurions AC10.

Mapmaster

• Warrant Officer
    • Mapmaster Battlemaps
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2016, 02:33:18 »
I like it though, and kudos for not taking the easy "Edge" way out.  Makes for a much more heroic and memorable character to burn bright and go out in a final blaze of glory than to wind up magically dodging every mortal blow time and again.  Not to mention, it helps keep a campaign in check from eventually ruination thanks to neigh-unkillable super Elite PC pilots.  If one can deal casualties, one should be prepared to take some of their own.

my thoughts exactly. also, since we kind of take turns GM'ing, no is ever actually in a god-like position to grant that kind of immunity.

the idea is that, since our schedules don't always line up, but at least 2 of us are available to game on any given weekend, is that we all just take turns building up our merc units by swapping GM hats often. Then, once a unit is given a fair amount of time to see where fortune takes them, we pair them off against each other in a player vs. player campaign. Ideally, one unit gets crushed, and the losing player starts a new merc company, but we haven't actually played one of these pvp games out to their conclusion yet, so it's possible that both sides just limp away severely reduced in size, perhaps to meet again on the field a few years down the road.

it's actually a pretty neat way to keep units under battalion size and the game more manageable.

Mapmaster

• Warrant Officer
    • Mapmaster Battlemaps
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2016, 02:35:23 »
Kressly really deserves a little loving from the Mockingbirds for that switch.
Sounds like a fun campaign. O0

It was definitely well played on the GM's part.

Don Lunardi

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple on Purple!
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2016, 07:13:56 »
my thoughts exactly. also, since we kind of take turns GM'ing, no is ever actually in a god-like position to grant that kind of immunity.

the idea is that, since our schedules don't always line up, but at least 2 of us are available to game on any given weekend, is that we all just take turns building up our merc units by swapping GM hats often. Then, once a unit is given a fair amount of time to see where fortune takes them, we pair them off against each other in a player vs. player campaign. Ideally, one unit gets crushed, and the losing player starts a new merc company, but we haven't actually played one of these pvp games out to their conclusion yet, so it's possible that both sides just limp away severely reduced in size, perhaps to meet again on the field a few years down the road.

it's actually a pretty neat way to keep units under battalion size and the game more manageable.

That's actually an interesting twist.  I ran a small group once which had a post-Tukayyid theme where we all had our own ComGuards formations conducting objective raids into Clan Occupation Zone. We rotated around so that everyone would have a chance to play their units, while others ran the Clan OPFOR.  I remember three! Rifleman IICs being generated on the RAT against me once, and just proceed to sit there and rain copious amounts of CLPL death upon me.  That was not a good day... :-[

I very much like the idea of player Merc units squaring off against one another though, for all the reasons listed.  I may have to borrow that one for future use! 8)
"Andurien: It's Hell with Jump Points!" - Failed Marketing Slogan for Tourism Andurien, circa 2398

Mapmaster

• Warrant Officer
    • Mapmaster Battlemaps
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2016, 17:00:11 »
I was bored today, so I put together an illustration from the battle in which the good captain died. Before everything went south, we were doing pretty good. Here, one of our rookies manages to disable the trainload of cargo:

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2016, 22:28:49 »
Monorail!

Mapmaster

• Warrant Officer
    • Mapmaster Battlemaps
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2016, 14:31:24 »
am i die?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2016, 17:42:46 »
Pretty awesome graphic creations there, MapMaster.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #13 on: 25 January 2016, 15:15:54 »
I believe the left arm of your Lynx is backwards. Otherwise, I like it. Pretty spiffy.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Mapmaster

• Warrant Officer
    • Mapmaster Battlemaps
« Reply #14 on: 25 January 2016, 16:23:42 »
I believe the left arm of your Lynx is backwards. Otherwise, I like it. Pretty spiffy.

thanks. it's somebody else's work. mine just happens to be painted almost identically. and that arm was probably blown backwards when it took the ac/20 hit you see on the broad side of that arm.

Mapmaster

• Warrant Officer
    • Mapmaster Battlemaps
« Reply #15 on: 19 March 2016, 13:04:21 »
I have placed this battle within the context of the larger campaign here:

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=51725.0

Merwyn

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 28 April 2016, 14:51:06 »
I'm quite late to this, but it was a fun read. :) My belated condolences to Captain Olson's teammates. I have two questions:

1) What 'Mech design did Olson pilot?

2) What was the defenders' third 'Mech? I only see a Zeus and a Victor being listed. Oh, and I'd be curious to know the gunnery and piloting scores of all MechWarriors involved.

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2016, 14:08:35 »
Awesome thread man! I definitely want to build my PC up to that level. Although, I second the sentiment of keeping Olson alive. Screw it, he survived. ;)
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

Mapmaster

• Warrant Officer
    • Mapmaster Battlemaps
« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2016, 18:13:29 »
I'm quite late to this, but it was a fun read. :) My belated condolences to Captain Olson's teammates. I have two questions:

1) What 'Mech design did Olson pilot?

2) What was the defenders' third 'Mech? I only see a Zeus and a Victor being listed. Oh, and I'd be curious to know the gunnery and piloting scores of all MechWarriors involved.

oh man, i forgot all about this thread! so glad to see somebody read it! let me see if i can remember these battles...

1. Olson piloted a customized Lynx 8Q. The large laser had been removed and replaced with a C3 slave and additional armor. All the medium lasers had been upgraded to ER's. It was the damage sponge in a C3 lance. the other three mechs were a tarantula, mercury, and hornet.

2. Hell's Ashes were fielding an axeman, hatchetman, caesar, and jenner as escorts. The victor and zeus were hidden on the train as cargo and sprung into action mid-battle.

Register