Author Topic: The New officially unofficial Arrow thread  (Read 31167 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: The New officially unofficial Arrow thread
« Reply #30 on: 30 April 2016, 01:09:33 »
Yeah, it was interesting seeing Oliver be the calmer one and Diggle going off on a rampage.  Talking down Wannabe Canary was pretty good development . . . he also noticed her at the funeral.  I am wondering at Nyssa's involvement, she is in this episode with little time but its not quite minor involvement.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #31 on: 02 May 2016, 21:38:14 »
Finally got up. Still is depressing about Laurel. Good episode

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 04 May 2016, 23:26:25 »
So oli has to chat with a shaman to learn he needs to stop giving into the darkness inside to fight Darhk...  Hasn't that been what Felicity has been saying for many episodes now?

And damn did diggle once again let his heart get in the way of his head..  He needed that beatdown his bro gave him.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 11 May 2016, 23:03:48 »
Nice episode.  I liked how dad actually seemed to keep up HIS end of a bargain, even with felicity ragging on him consistently.
And loved how oli and diggle seemed to work out their issues from all the past episodes.
Only thing i Didn't like, was how quickly it seemed Thea seemed to get onto dad's side in taking down Mr Scarface..  IMO all those down in Darhk's safespot are in on his plan to wipe the world out, so they most definitely are NOT innocent...  Surely they have to know WHY they are down there.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 12 May 2016, 07:12:24 »
This episode was just a mess for me. Mama Smoak has absolutely no boundaries, she'll just rummage through her boyfriend's things and demand he make changes because she hates liars. There was absolutely no way for that to have gone down differently? Like Lance coming to her with his dilemma and her actually being supportive and guiding him? Nah.

Oh, we need this chip from Curtis' Lab. I know the actor's busy and isn't filming the show right now, but couldn't they just explain the nuke situation to Curtis and ask him to grab it? Don't even need to show it on screen. Nah, let's plan a heist instead of asking Lyla to call the Board dude to tell him about the impending nuclear apocalypse.

Good fighting scenes, better than the by-the-numbers dancing. It was a bit more blatant that they were using stunt guys then cutting to the actors in closeups. Perhaps it was more jarring because I've been rewatching Season 1 and 2 and it seemed like a different show altogether.

Is Thea's boyfriend dead or something?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #35 on: 12 May 2016, 08:27:30 »
It is implied he is dead but I'm thinking that could be a ploy by Thea to get him out from under the influence of HIVE.

Overall not bad episode.

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #36 on: 12 May 2016, 14:54:50 »
Yeah, Curtis or Lila could have solved that issue real easy.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 12 May 2016, 15:26:54 »
This episode was just a mess for me. Mama Smoak has absolutely no boundaries, she'll just rummage through her boyfriend's things and demand he make changes because she hates liars. There was absolutely no way for that to have gone down differently? Like Lance coming to her with his dilemma and her actually being supportive and guiding him? Nah.

That whole scene did make me face palm.  Why was he simply ok with her ruffling through HIS stuff and effectively demanding he change it..  And her whole quip of "Do the right thing"..  Right thing for whom?

Oh, we need this chip from Curtis' Lab. I know the actor's busy and isn't filming the show right now, but couldn't they just explain the nuke situation to Curtis and ask him to grab it? Don't even need to show it on screen. Nah, let's plan a heist instead of asking Lyla to call the Board dude to tell him about the impending nuclear apocalypse.

I agree.  once Fel realized she was done in the company, they should have contacted Curtis to go grab it.. Surely HE could have gotten it.

Is Thea's boyfriend dead or something?

Seems he's just out cold.

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 14 May 2016, 00:43:05 »
So, more geography confusion.  The sat. map shows Havenwood to be on the St. Lawrence, so near Quebec or Montreal.  And the team jaunted from Star City, there and back, in a short window.  Which implies that Star City is in that region.

Now in the DCU, Metropolis and Gotham are both New York shaped, with Gotham in a unspecified part of New England.  And Metropolis is Toronto, if it were a US city.  Except in the shows and movies where it remains an hour from Smallville, which is now established as being in Kansas.

But I would swear Star City was supposed to be Seattle. 

Add this to Kansas City (Mo. or Ks.) - aka Central City - is a sea port with a large lake as well, and is so close that the two cities share one prison.

I don't know where in the world Star City is.  I'm pretty sure it is North America, and the maps say that the continent looks like the one in our world.  Is it East Coast?   West Coast? 

Coast City was a short trip, and it is San Francisco analogous.  But then Nanda Parbat, Asia(?) is also a day trip.

Live Long and Prosper

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #39 on: 14 May 2016, 01:05:41 »
So, more geography confusion.  The sat. map shows Havenwood to be on the St. Lawrence, so near Quebec or Montreal.  And the team jaunted from Star City, there and back, in a short window.  Which implies that Star City is in that region.

??? The team didn't go to Havenrock.

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 14 May 2016, 03:32:03 »
Isn't that where Felicity said her father was hiding?

Live Long and Prosper

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #41 on: 14 May 2016, 12:34:38 »
Isn't that where Felicity said her father was hiding?

No, he was at a cabin somewhere called Ravenspur.

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 14 May 2016, 13:11:32 »
OK.  I thought I'd misheard it, and both references were to the same place.  Though that begs the question why they threw out the name of the target at the end like it was supposed to mean something, when it was just a random medium sized city. 

Maybe the most important event in human history since Nagasaki will be important later on, and the name drop was to set that up.

Live Long and Prosper

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #43 on: 14 May 2016, 22:08:56 »
So . . . do we get Earth 2's Black Canary?  She is hanging with Zoom and appears to have not only a sonic weapon that disrupts concentration, it appears to have a visible wavefront.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #44 on: 14 May 2016, 23:01:36 »
OK.  I thought I'd misheard it, and both references were to the same place.  Though that begs the question why they threw out the name of the target at the end like it was supposed to mean something, when it was just a random medium sized city. 

They didn't throw it out like it was supposed to mean something, they gave a name to the location that Felicity chose to nuke instead of Monument Point. Which is more effective storytelling: "Felicity directed a nuke to strike a small town" or "Felicity directed a nuke to strike the small town of Havenrock"? Naming the town that got nuked makes those deaths seem more immediate and personal than just some randos whose town doesn't even rate a name for the viewers. It'll also make the inevitable guilt Felicity feels more effective when she can say things like "I saved the world from nuclear armageddon? Tell that to the people of Havenrock!" rather than "Tell that to the people in that one town that did get nuked!"

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 15 May 2016, 14:40:58 »
So . . . do we get Earth 2's Black Canary?  She is hanging with Zoom and appears to have not only a sonic weapon that disrupts concentration, it appears to have a visible wavefront.

So maybe that's why they killed of Laurel..  So people wouldn't confuse the 2..

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #46 on: 16 May 2016, 06:25:15 »
I remember how for a while early on it looked like Vinnie Jones was going to be the season's Big Bad.

That would have been a better season
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #47 on: 16 May 2016, 10:52:40 »
I honestly want to watch this season.  It is sitting on my Tivo, waiting for me to pull it up.

But I keep on finding other stuff I want to do more...like watching paint dry...

:'(
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #48 on: 16 May 2016, 12:36:12 »

Ha ha, no.

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 16 May 2016, 14:49:55 »
No, Berlanti trusts his audience to have some intelligence.  Unlike the movie people.

He just doesn't trust characters like Rip Hunter or Ray Palmer with the stuff.

Live Long and Prosper

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 19 May 2016, 16:42:45 »
So nice to see Felicity and dad do some bonding over hacking the codes..  and mom showed her 'evil side' in a way, lying to dad to get him to once again go away..  Just cause SHE feels she knows whats best for Fel...  Loved also how Curtis jumped right in once again..
Loved how team arrow and malcomb once again had to work together to save 'innocents'.  BUT since many of those down there weer BY their choice not controlled, i still don't see how they are innocent...

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 20 May 2016, 00:52:47 »
They're innocent due to their naivete and gullibility. They were looking for salvation and they did not care how that came about.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 25 May 2016, 04:54:34 »
A thought occurs.  Star City just spent all those months building up to a special April mayoral election, and now the mayor is dead/missing.  (Whether she was officially sworn in is unclear as well.)  Bearing in mind that governmental procedure doesn't work the same in the Arrowverse from the real world: will they simply recount the ballots, and elect the second place candidate?  Or will they have to hold another election?

Or will it matter after the events of the Flash season finale?

Live Long and Prosper

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 25 May 2016, 15:43:22 »
I'd say it would go to a new election, since Oli dropped out they couldn't hand it to whom ever got #2..

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 26 May 2016, 00:14:49 »
Wow.  That was an interesting finale..  I liked that Dark's dead finally, and that Oli got to give a good enough speech he became mayor (for now), but was surprised at how most all the rest are 'disbanding' and going away for a while..
I was also shocked that Thea actually stopped one of the ghosts from killing Dad..  Especially after what dad had just did TO her yet again 2 eps ago..

One big quip though..  When Darhk said to Oli "I don't need magic to defeat you, i used to be in the league of assassins you know", i was shocked that Oli didn't answer back "So was i, AS RAS AL GHUL, bidteatch"..

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #55 on: 26 May 2016, 00:28:56 »
That would have been a good comeback.

For as smart as they normally are with dialog, I'm surprised they missed that...
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #56 on: 26 May 2016, 00:31:08 »
Or the finger-wagger is the next future Flash who is telling him not to save mom because he knows how much that changes the future?
Colt Ward

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 26 May 2016, 14:54:35 »
That would have been a good comeback.

For as smart as they normally are with dialog, I'm surprised they missed that...

Maybe they could make a quick edit of that scene for the DVD release..

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #58 on: 30 May 2016, 07:01:47 »
Well... that season sucked royally. I was trying to think of a single positive thing to say about it, and all I came up with was "Constantine, maybe?"
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #59 on: 30 May 2016, 10:49:22 »
I was trying to think of a single positive thing to say about it

Neal McDonough was clearly having a blast as Darkh. His scenery chewing was always amusing and usually the highlight of any given episode.

I wouldn't go so far as "sucked royally", myself—I mean, season 3 still exists as a thing that happened and this season was excellent by comparison—but it was not good.

I think trying to sustain a season-long arc is just too difficult with a show like this. And the writers did themselves no favor by introducing Darkh in the very first episode of the season instead of holding off on him and building tension. I'd like to see a season with 2-3 mini-arcs instead, maybe even tying them together in the end with a "this previously unseen villain was behind the whole thing!" twist around episode 18 or so. Don't put the burden of carrying the entire season on one villain's shoulders.