Author Topic: Making a 'Mech Head for a Costume?  (Read 6451 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Making a 'Mech Head for a Costume?
« on: 17 September 2016, 21:46:21 »
So, I bough a shirt (see attached pic).

Next up, my wife and I are thinking of an easy costume for Comic-Con or Comic Fest, and wearing the shirt, along with making a 'Mech head out of cardboard, tape, glue and some paint, presumably.  The question is which 'Mech?

So, for those who have approached similar levels of insanity in the past, any idea what would be an easy one to make?  We were thinking Banshee (that's probably the closest match for the armor bubbles on the shirt), or maybe a Cyclops, Crusader, or Charger, though the Shadow Hawk is also nice and flat and might work, especially with a few accessories, like a forearm medium laser and autocannon on my backpack.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Making a 'Mech Head for a Costume?
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2016, 16:33:15 »
Grand Titan perhaps if your going have semi-boxy outfit.  It would require less curves perhaps be easier to make.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2016, 17:36:15 »
We were thinking Banshee (that's probably the closest match for the armor bubbles on the shirt), or maybe a Cyclops, Crusader, or Charger, though the Shadow Hawk is also nice and flat and might work, especially with a few accessories, like a forearm medium laser and autocannon on my backpack.
Well, that's a slight variation of the old blank record sheets, so the armor bubbles can be filled in (with washable markers of course) for 'Mechs with less than max armor. ;) It's also a stylized Crusader, so that'd be the best match for a costume.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2017, 15:28:53 »
My wife and I ended up deciding on the Shadow Hawk for my 'Mech head.  Started it last night, have to have it ready for Comic-Con this weekend.  Yeah...nothing like waiting until the last minute.  That said, my wife put it together yesterday, and I started painting today.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2017, 21:15:43 »
So, arm plates or no arm plates? Could try going bigger, and more accurate, but that's way more time.

Might be hard to see in this pic, but so far it's a two-tone grey and black.  Still need to figure out decorations and logo: Niops, SLDF, Gray Death Legion, other?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2017, 13:49:12 »
Ok, final costume (and I use that term loosely).

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2018, 16:42:26 »
So, going a bit of a different route this year...

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2018, 10:43:58 »
Need something to know that it is an urbanmech you are playing and meybe some cool colors that "KILLROY WAS HERE! on the mech and some other stuff that would work like a pilot name and unit logos.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2018, 13:15:50 »
Oh, there's more planned. I'll also be adding in the small laser and autocannons next. Work's just been delayed a bit the past few days.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2018, 15:11:48 »
Hope your able to add a shoulder mounted AC/10 barrel to the costume.  People may not know what your suppose to be.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2018, 21:45:08 »
AC/10 is definitely in the plans. Trying to figure out if a laser pointer violates Conn rules before I add one into the small laser, though.

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #11 on: 20 June 2018, 21:02:21 »
AC/10 is definitely in the plans. Trying to figure out if a laser pointer violates Conn rules before I add one into the small laser, though.

Laser pointers were a no-go last year, flashlight should probably okay.
"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

There is the right way, the wrong way, and the Lyran way. Which is to say:  The wrong way using Assault 'Mechs.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #12 on: 22 June 2018, 09:15:37 »
A flash light with a red lens would be prefect... Something like a mini-maglight... :)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: 22 June 2018, 14:40:35 »
If they have special event. U shout get a top hat and a make big fake stoggy represent the funnier urban mech. The had mascot in MWO Urbanmech as dash board item setup that.  ;D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #14 on: 03 July 2018, 19:55:20 »
If they have special event. U shout get a top hat and a make big fake stoggy represent the funnier urban mech. The had mascot in MWO Urbanmech as dash board item setup that.  ;D

If he wanted that he should go out and do the Hauptmann.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 05 July 2018, 07:03:23 »
Truetanker, this is what i meant.

« Last Edit: 05 July 2018, 07:07:07 by Wrangler »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 22 July 2018, 20:34:51 »
Ok, couple updated photos from this year's Con of my quickie Urbie costume.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #17 on: 23 July 2018, 18:35:05 »
That's hilarious!  I love the tiny legs on your t-shirt, and the Cameron Star is just the icing on the cake!  :thumbsup:

Register