Author Topic: All New Gratuitious Anime Thread, now with more explosions!  (Read 145478 times)

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
Re: All New Gratuitious Anime Thread, now with more explosions!
« Reply #1260 on: 17 May 2017, 18:27:31 »
Up to a point that works.  But there had to be someone on the other team who stood up and pointed out that they had a 3-to-1 advantage over their opponent who had substantially inferior equipment: if we win we look like bullies and if we lose we'll never live down the humiliation.

I think that sort of public challenging of an authority figure from your own organization would be rather poorly regarded in Japanese culture. I'm sure everyone on the University team knew this was supposed to be a slaughter, but the intent was never to give Oarai a fair fight - it was to allow the Dept of Education to appear magnanimous in granting them one last match while simultaneously ensuring they lost. Calling it out in public would just mean loss of face for both the Dept of Education & the University team & likely get you kicked off, the match would be called off & Oarai would still close. Istal's 100% correct that the set-up is trope-eriffic, but deliberate cheating by an organization of influence to preserve face is at least passably believable from a cultural perspective.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1261 on: 17 May 2017, 18:56:09 »
Underwater brine lakes.

Okay, I'll give you that one, but what about their freezers? How's that work?

To be fair, my favorite joke from the series is when bob and Patrick are sitting next to a campfire when one of them says "wait, how does this work?" and the fire goes out.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1262 on: 18 May 2017, 04:26:43 »
But the...
There there, there there.
It's all right.
Oooh child, things are gonna get brighter...  ;D ;D ;D

Istal's 100% correct that the set-up is trope-eriffic, but deliberate cheating by an organization of influence to preserve face is at least passably believable from a cultural perspective.
Still reading too deep into it.
It happens because it happens; story, end of.

Its like expecting any kind of logical sense out of South Park or Spongebob... simply not meant to be.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #1263 on: 18 May 2017, 04:34:59 »
Indeed. Series like GuP is meant to be something to be enjoyed without thinking too deeply into it. It's not meant to make sense as it's pupose is to give us high school girls fighting in tanks and overcoming odds to give us good feeling as result. If you start picking it apart you just ruin it for yourself. Some things are just meant to be enjoyed as long as those are done well and I would say that GuP is just that. 
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1264 on: 18 May 2017, 11:26:22 »
MadCapellan isn't wrong though. GuP is a Japanese animation so it's made from the Japanese cultural perspective. So that set up make sense within the Japanese cultural mindset.

Of course, if a US company made and produced it, it would be from the US cultural perspective. So that particular set up would have turned out differently.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1265 on: 18 May 2017, 12:09:52 »
You run into these things a lot watching anime. I recall one anime plot line in which enemy spies secretly placed nuclear weapons in the heroes' country's military base "to embarrass them".  I can't imagine any country other than Japan being legitimately embarrassed by being gifted a nuclear arsenal at no cost.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1266 on: 18 May 2017, 12:21:41 »
Well this is interesting...

Looks like the most recent Lupin III series is gonna air on Toonami. It'll be starting on 6/17.
Might have to take a look at the sub of it to see if it's worth watching.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1267 on: 18 May 2017, 12:42:12 »
You run into these things a lot watching anime. I recall one anime plot line in which enemy spies secretly placed nuclear weapons in the heroes' country's military base "to embarrass them".  I can't imagine any country other than Japan being legitimately embarrassed by being gifted a nuclear arsenal at no cost.

That's pretty different, all right.

BTW, finally realized what the scene of the T28 Super-Heavy discarding its outside set of tracks reminded me of: the Batmobile did the same thing in Batman Returns.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1268 on: 18 May 2017, 12:52:56 »
The notion that schools just decided, "Hey, this is only the third most dangerous military vehicle out there for people to work with, let's give them to our daughters!" is utterly asinine.
The same day you posted that my local newspaper (not in Japan) posted a rather positive story about 10-year-old girls in mixed martial-arts tournaments. And how it apparently empowers them if they ignore a bloody nose...

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #1269 on: 18 May 2017, 16:19:19 »
The same day you posted that my local newspaper (not in Japan) posted a rather positive story about 10-year-old girls in mixed martial-arts tournaments. And how it apparently empowers them if they ignore a bloody nose...
A friend of mine lost a finger and almost lost his hand doing routine maintenance on a tank tread - it was just a moment of absent-mindedness, but the kind of thing that comes to mind when I tried to watch that anime. A bit of difference between being maimed for life doing ROUTINE work and a broken nose or even limb during a violent competition.

It's like... There's anime that has a grounding in reality, or establishes rules that are relatively close to reality. You don't expect the characters in Ouran High School Host Club to suddenly sprout guns from their asses or become planar-traveling sorcerers or battle ghosts with flung charms - it's about a really rich group of people and a poor scholarship student.

Girls Und Panzer has as its defining statement that these are real tanks, either originals or replicas mostly indistinguishable from the real thing - has the art to back that up - and that these real tanks are being driven in competitions which are treated very seriously.

Then it pulls a reality-breaking stunt like "Oh, this tank has been underwater for years, we're going to pull it out and salvage it in a day or two!" when it would be a rusted-solid hulk barely useful for scrap metal. Or has the girls operating the tanks in shirtsleeves, bare hands, and no helmets, and actually being able to HEAR anything after firing the main gun with the hatch open.

It is PANDERING. Blatant fanservice. "You like tanks? You like schoolgirls? Well look no further!" Feh.

A bit of fanservice is fine, in its place, when it has plot and characters and worldbuilding backing it up. Everything in GuP is just about how much schoolgirl and tank they can cram into it with a minimum of anything else.

The only difference between it and something like the Queen's Blade anime is the direction of the fanservice.

Or maybe I'm just getting annoyed by fanservice in my old age. When the Strike Witches anime shoved a little girl's crotch in my face in the first thirty seconds, I was done. If I wanted to look at little girl's crotches, I'd be reading lolicon manga. When I watch a war anime involving magic, I want something like, well.... Saga of Tanya the Evil.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1270 on: 18 May 2017, 17:09:30 »
Up to a point that works.  But there had to be someone on the other team who stood up and pointed out that they had a 3-to-1 advantage over their opponent who had substantially inferior equipment: if we win we look like bullies and if we lose we'll never live down the humiliation.
This is the reason why the university team didn't object when the other high school teams got involved.

@iamfanboy
The Tanks aren't direct replicas, the designs and the ammo have been thoroughly altered for safety.
This is also the reason why it is illegal to use non-official ammo.
But this still doesn't excuse Miho's lack of survival instinct (must be a genetic defect).
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1271 on: 18 May 2017, 17:12:09 »
I think you're taking GuP more seriously that GuP takes itself.   There's one bit in the show where one of the girls tells Miho to get back in the tank because it's dangerous to ride sticking out of the hatch.  Miho explains to her that it's perfectly safe because no one ever gets hurt doing it.  No smart rounds, no special force shields, no genetic natural armor enhancements, it just doesn't happen.  All the scene is missing is Miho winking at the camera.

Your definition of fan service is a little off from the common definition.  GuP has some, but it's only really overdone in one OAV epidsode.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1272 on: 18 May 2017, 17:30:21 »
Girls Und Panzer has as its defining statement that these are real tanks, either originals or replicas mostly indistinguishable from the real thing - has the art to back that up - and that these real tanks are being driven in competitions which are treated very seriously.

I'm pretty sure Girls Und Panzer's defining statement is "Hey, guys! Wouldn't it be cool if......." From the electives offered at Oarai to it being on an aircraft carrier to the proclamation "guys & tanks just don't seem like they'd go together!" The show loudly and proudly screams that reality can take a hike! The presence of historical mechanical devices is no more evidence of attempted realism than the presence of period Edwardian costume means Mary Poppins shouldn't be able to fly.

It is PANDERING. Blatant fanservice. "You like tanks? You like schoolgirls? Well look no further!" Feh.

Yep! So? It's fun!

If you're complaining about a lack of realism in cartoons, you're setting yourself up for disappointment!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1273 on: 18 May 2017, 19:22:28 »
Now that I definitely agree with.  I'm willing to suspend my disbelief that none of the crew are hurt after watching the PZ 38(t) do a 540 degree barrel-roll due to being shot because they're obviously using cartoon physics to begin with- the tank wouldn't flip like that in the first place, it's just because it makes a more dramatic way for them to be eliminated.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #1274 on: 18 May 2017, 20:11:15 »
There's just something about it that utterly disrupts my suspension of disbelief. I can't get past it. What's more, I don't particularly want to get past it, because it's not just the tanks. It's the paper-thin characters and the rererererererehashed sports anime plot. There's nothing in it of substance - and it's not like I want a LOT of substance, but a little bit would be nice.

However, *shrug* we're all free to like what we like. I enjoyed Kemono Friends despite knowing exactly what was wrong with it (cheap cheap animation), and I'm pretty sure that you guys know what's wrong with GuP and like it anyway.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1275 on: 18 May 2017, 22:38:30 »
@iamfanboy - yup, it IS 100% fanservice. 'S why I don't watch it. But everyone's entitled to their kinks. Girls und Battlemech would have 50% of this forum instantly hooked and the other 50% wracked with guilt, and probably no one else in the world would get it  ::)

Meanwhile I finally watched Gundam Thunderbolt Ep 6. Its becoming almost Game of Thrones level of gratuitious violence, innit? I especially liked the bit where the scout gets crushed onscreen ;D

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1276 on: 19 May 2017, 14:06:11 »
Considering how many people get hurt and sometimes killed playing sports every year, or just doing the stupid things kids will do on a dare and because they think they're invincible. There's always going to be some assumption of risk. Especially if it's 'traditional'.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1277 on: 19 May 2017, 23:26:58 »
Watched first 2 episodes of Space Battleship Yamato 2202.  Its worth the hyper!  I hope damn things will be for sale soon.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1278 on: 21 May 2017, 19:23:14 »
At a friend's request, I started watching Lucky Star. I figured since I love Yuru Yuri(which he's checking out now) I'd probably like this one.  At first I was put off by the opening 20 minute(at least it felt that long) conversation about the best way to eat different food. Nothing was even going on, they were just sitting there eating and talking. Seriously, who starts a series with that?  Where do you go from there?  Seinfeld with with moe?  ???

Then I realized I've had almost that exact same conversation internally.  That hooked me, but the crazy bipolar child actor outro sold me.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1279 on: 22 May 2017, 04:32:38 »
I started watching Granblue Fantasy the Animation and I am enjoying it a lot. I was surprised how much main character looks like Ramza from game Final Fantasy Tactics. Similarity in character design is uncanny. So far Katalina and Rackam are two of my favorite characters.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1280 on: 22 May 2017, 11:59:07 »
had a misfortune of watching bits and peices of power rangers movie.....still cringing just thinking about it...
and my buddy just made it worse...some where out there there is a person with no heart or soul but blackest heart that is thinking of making silverhawks live action movie....i hope such nightmare never ever comes to pass...
i hate my friends for making things worse....
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1281 on: 22 May 2017, 12:14:27 »
Seriously, who starts a series with that?  Where do you go from there?  Seinfeld with with moe?  ???
Now consider that that scene lasted longer than it took to sketch out the single-page 4-koma it's based on...

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1282 on: 22 May 2017, 12:45:35 »
Then I realized I've had almost that exact same conversation internally.  That hooked me, but the crazy bipolar child actor outro sold me.

Yeah, Lucky Star is nothing short of infectious! The first few episodes are completely innocuous and yet you find them so compelling on some subconscious level that before you know it you've marathoned the whole show & are in love!  At least I know that was my experience. Yours sounds similar - being really excited about something so ordinary and being unable to explain why is a really wild experience!

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1283 on: 28 May 2017, 20:07:41 »
Okay, Lucky Star was awesome. {>{>

...but that ending was crap.  [soapbox]

They should have only shown the aftermath of the cheerleading rehearsal and saved the actual performance to go out on!  Having them preform the routine shown in the opening intro would have been the perfect way to close out the series!  Especially since they skipped the opening for the final episode.

In other news, I picked up the Monthly Nozaki kun box set. It's cool that they included the sound track.  Cool enough that I'm willing to overlook that they gave 2 of the 3 discs an identical name which jacked up my MP3 library.  But how in the hell did they not include the opening intro song!?  It's especially annoying since getting that song [legitimately] was what pushed me over the fence when I was deciding if I was going to buy it or not. 
[face palm]

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #1284 on: 28 May 2017, 23:40:12 »
Okay, Lucky Star was awesome. {>{>

...but that ending was crap.  [soapbox]

They should have only shown the aftermath of the cheerleading rehearsal and saved the actual performance to go out on!  Having them preform the routine shown in the opening intro would have been the perfect way to close out the series!  Especially since they skipped the opening for the final episode.

In other news, I picked up the Monthly Nozaki kun box set. It's cool that they included the sound track.  Cool enough that I'm willing to overlook that they gave 2 of the 3 discs an identical name which jacked up my MP3 library.  But how in the hell did they not include the opening intro song!?  It's especially annoying since getting that song [legitimately] was what pushed me over the fence when I was deciding if I was going to buy it or not. 
[face palm]
I know the feeling. I actually went out and bought the Deadpool DVD just to get the commentaries that were talked about in various places, and they were only on the Blu-Ray. I actually SPENT my own money instead of resorting to piracy, and it burned me on the ONE thing I wanted.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1285 on: 29 May 2017, 06:59:16 »
Yeah, Lucky Star is nothing short of infectious! The first few episodes are completely innocuous and yet you find them so compelling on some subconscious level that before you know it you've marathoned the whole show & are in love!  At least I know that was my experience. Yours sounds similar - being really excited about something so ordinary and being unable to explain why is a really wild experience!

I know it might be seen as heresy inside fandom but i do like Lucky Star more than Azumanga Daioh. It's hard to say why Lucky Star is more for me than Azumanga Daioh but it just is. Maybe it's all those otaku references that make it funnier for me.   

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1286 on: 29 May 2017, 09:20:30 »
I know it might be seen as heresy inside fandom but i do like Lucky Star more than Azumanga Daioh. It's hard to say why Lucky Star is more for me than Azumanga Daioh but it just is. Maybe it's all those otaku references that make it funnier for me.

I prefer Lucky Star as well. Azumanga Daioh is great, but The characters in Lucky Star feel more like me and my friends, whereas Azumanga Daioh's cast feels like random students. That feeling of camaraderie makes a big difference!

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1287 on: 29 May 2017, 10:04:20 »
I'll have to check out Azumanga Daioh as I apparently really like anime about the daily lives of random high school girls.  Really not the direction I would have ever predicted my anime viewing habits to go.  Especially since I first cut my teeth on Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor, MD Geist, Ranma 1/2, etc.  Then again, if you had told 16 year old me that I'd eventually have a shelf full of grey wall eyed pegusis figures, I'd probably have had some rather unkind words for you.  Funny where life takes us.

MadCapellan, you hit the nail right on the head.  I was just thinking that if I had known those girls during High School I'd have totally hung out with them.  Except for the pink haired one(I suck at names), I could pretty easily match the main characters up with friends I have now.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1288 on: 29 May 2017, 17:24:36 »
Welcome to the moe slice of life, DarkSpade! You've definitely sunk to the deep end of the pool now!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1289 on: 29 May 2017, 21:13:26 »
Well i was doing some...retro-anime watching.  Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki and then new Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki 4th Season/OVA 4.  Wow, is there chunk of main-line universe i missed.  Resolving what heck happened to the prime universe aka the original Pioneer OVAs from the early 1990s.   

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki wraps the story up Does this thing take you off onto wild turns that will confuse any rational viewer.

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki 4th Season/OVA 4 is infact what is suspect is this is wrap series.  Its litterly feels like the end of it.  Its almost as confusing than OVA 3.  Unfortunately it's been rather...quiet.  If your looking for the zany fun that Tenchi used to be, it's not here.  There touches of comedy, but it kinda of a dry as their preparing for Tenchi's dad to remarry and possibility of Tenchi being forced to leave Earth.  Ova4 series is now at episode 2 going on 3 on May 31st 2017.   On the plus side, GXP is timeline is canon they're name dropping everywhere but they won't show Seina due to some weird mission he's on.  For some reason OVA 4 is being released on youtube. If you can find it, its be good way catch up. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki