Author Topic: Something for the Arenas - Husaria Duelling Mech  (Read 1126 times)

Getz

• Warrant Officer
Something for the Arenas - Husaria Duelling Mech
« on: 24 August 2016, 07:09:17 »
And now for something a little different...

I recently took part in a six way challenge match using the old Solaris 7 rules (the ones where four turns equal one Battletech turn so everything generates four times as much heat, weapons have a fire delay and all ranges are quadrupled) where I was given pretty free rein to design my perfect duelling mech.  I thought I'd share what I came up with.

There were some rules we had to work with.  We were restricted to IS experimental tech, so no clan weapons, and had to work within an arbitrary tonnage limit of 75 tons.  We knew we'd be facing off in a huge six way battle in a large arena, but didn't have any clue what the arena would be like.

With that in mind I decided to field the toughest, most maneuverable design I could come up with and then equip it with very accurate weapons so I could still hit things while whizzing around the arena like a jet-fighter.  My solution was a relatively slow 75 tonner with IJJs and a partial wing so it could jump seven hexes for the all important +4 modifier.  The first and most obvious choice I made was to use an Interface cockpit - I reasoned that this would surprise the hell out of all my opponents and the intrinsic improvements it would grant to my gunnery an piloting skill where well worth the drawbacks.

I took the risk of a Composite structure in order to give me both free tonnage and enough internal space to use it, but tried to cover that weakness by opting for hardened armour - giving me effectively as much armour as an assault mech and mitigating the risk of AP ammo an tandem charge SRMs, both of which I was quite certain would be fielded against me.  The loss of running MP didn't really bother me as I wasn't planning on spending any time on the ground anyway and the interface cockpit counteracted the piloting penalty.

The main weapon consists of a Large VSPL, backed up by a pair of Small X-pulse lasers and a ER Medium laser, all tied to a targeting computer.  I would probably have opted for three X-pulses, but having a conventional laser meant I could try for aimed shots when the opportunity presented itself.  The Active probe was there to help with competitors camping in woods, employing smoke or to burn through Ghost Targeting ECM, which I absolutely expected to encounter.  For regular Battletech the design is oversinked, but when playing Solaris 7 rules it actually has a rather finicky heat curve - although it'll stay away from targeting penalties so long as you juggle the weapons right.  I could have fitted more sinks but I wanted to include a melee weapon, if only because I was relatively certain I'd find myself mixing it up at short range with melee oriented designs - therefore the final touch was the inclusion of a lance and TSM to give me a really fearsome melee attack.  Possibly not the most optimal choice, but it seemed like a fun use of the remaining weight and space, and in turn inspired the name from the Polish Winged Hussars.

Husaria (interface) Dueling Mech
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Technology Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Production Year: 3070

Chassis: Composite Structure
Power Plant: 300 Fusion XL Engine
Cruising Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 54.0 km/h (64.8 km/h)
Jump Jets: Improved
     Jump Capacity: 180 meters (210 meters)
Armor: Hardened
Armament:
     1 Large VSPL
     1 ER Medium Laser
     2 Small X-Pulse Lasers
     1 Lance
     1 Beagle Active Probe

Technology Base: Inner Sphere  75.00 tons
Chassis Config: Biped Cost: 23,519,125 C-Bills
BV2: 2,389 Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-F

Equipment   Mass
Internal Structure: Composite Structure 4.00
Engine: 300 XL Fusion Engine 9.50

Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 5 (6)
Jumping MP: 6 (7) Improved

Jump Jet Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT, 1 LL, 1 RL 12.00
Heat Sinks: 12 (27) - Double (12 in engine) 2.00
Gyro:  0.00
Cockpit: Interface w/ Full Head Ejection System 4.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA    R: SH+UA+LA+H
TSM Locations: 3 LA, 3 RA
Armor: 140 points - Hardened 17.50

Internal    Armor
               Structure  Factor
Head:            3         8
Center Torso: 23       22
Center Torso (rear):  6
R/L Torso:     16       17
R/L Torso (rear):      6
R/L Arm:       12       13
R/L Leg:        16       16

Weapons and Ammo Location Heat Criticals Tonnage
ER Medium Laser     CT          5      1          1.00
Beagle Active Probe CT          0      2          1.50
Targeting Computer CT          --     3          3.00
Small X-Pulse Laser RT          3      1          1.00
Small X-Pulse Laser LT          3      1          1.00
Partial Wing            LT/RT     --     4/4       5.50
Lance                     RA         0      4          4.00
Large VSPL             LA         10     4          9.00

As you have probably gathered, I'm rather proud of my creation and would like to know what you all think...
« Last Edit: 24 August 2016, 07:56:54 by Getz »

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Getz

• Warrant Officer
Re: Something for the Arenas - Husaria Duelling Mech
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2017, 19:36:50 »
Sorry to fire up an old thread, but I did a thing and now have pictures of the thing...

Not the best of pictures, but it conveys the idea...
« Last Edit: 17 April 2017, 19:52:58 by Getz »

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

fallen

• Master Sergeant
Re: Something for the Arenas - Husaria Duelling Mech
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2017, 23:00:48 »
Very nice!   O0

Register