Author Topic: (Answered) BattleForce LOS and intervening terrain - Newbie questions  (Read 1825 times)

ajzer

• Recruit
First question about the rule on page 225 of SO:

Quote from: Pg. 225, Short Range and Adjacent Hexes
Units in short range or in adjacent hexes always have LOS to each other, unless one Unit is completely underwater and the other is not.

I am confused about whether this supersedes the rule:

Quote from: pg. 226, Effects of Intervening Terrain
All intervening terrain features block LOS.

I am interpreting this as a two step process:

• Can a line be drawn between two units, with neither being fully submerged (but not both)? If yes, you have LOS.
  • Is there intervening terrain? If yes, then LOS, while it exists, is blocked.

This seems very strange to me, since the intervening terrain rules could easily include the submersion blocking LOS rules as part of the section in 226, and just remove the rule on page 225. If I'm interpreting the steps wrong, this means there are no intervening terrain features (except for one Unit being submerged) that block LOS. Even a solid wall of rock 5 levels high between two Units at short range doesn't block LOS. That can't be right, can it? Can someone clarify the intent of the rule on 225 referenced above?

Similar follow-up--can someone clarify this conflict? The first rule in question is about what counts as intervening terrain.

Rule 1:
Quote from: pg. 226, Intervening Terrain
  • The level of the terrain or feature is equal to or higher than the level of both Units; or
  • The terrain or feature is adjacent to the attacker and equal to or higher than the attacker's level; or
  • The terrain or feature is adjacent to the target and equal to or higher than the target's level

Second is about Depth 2 water blocking LOS.

Rule 2:
Quote from: pg 226, Effects of Intervening Terrain
Water of Depth 2 or deeper always intervenes and blocks LOS unless both attacker and target are in Depth 2 water or deeper.

In a situation where two units are on level 1 ground, with a body of water of Depth 2 or deeper between them, Rule 1 does not count that as intervening terrain. But Rule 2 would suggest it blocks LOS. That can't be right, but I don't know how to reconcile these two conflicts except to ignore them. To complicate matters, there isn't any clarity about whether the attackers height matters for LOS, and whether weapons are being fired from the level of the ground or the height of the Unit. Maybe this doesn't matter, but noted it nonetheless.

Can someone assist with the interpretation?
« Last Edit: 08 December 2016, 12:03:35 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: BattleForce LOS and intervening terrain - Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2016, 12:03:16 »
p. 225 lists the only condition where LOS is blocked between adjacent units, where one unit is submerged and the other is not.

The rule on p. 226 "all intervening terrain features block LOS" has no effect on adjacent units since there cannot be intervening terrain between adjacent units.  If two units are adjacent, there is no intervening hex, there can be no intervening terrain.  This is defined in the Intervening Terrain, first sentence.  The hexes occupied by the attacker and target cannot be intervening.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register