Author Topic: Firing Arcs - Possible Oversight?  (Read 1322 times)

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
Firing Arcs - Possible Oversight?
« on: 19 December 2016, 20:01:48 »
As per the 4.3 errata, ground units attacking Aerospace always take the angle-of-attack into account:

Firing Arcs (p. 105)

Replace the first and second paragraphs on the page with the following: “Whether  the  airborne  aerospace  unit  is  operating  on  a  low -altitude  map,  or  whether  it  is  using  the  Aerospace  Units on Ground Mapsheets rules, LOS to the target from the attacker is drawn to the hex on the designated flightpath that is closest to the attacker. If the attacker is on the flightpath, LOS is drawn to the hex the fighter would be in prior to enteringthe hex of the attacker. The attacker must take the angle of attack into account when firing at an airborne aerospace unit (see Angle of Attack, p. 236).

Doesn't this make Heat-Seeking missiles worthless versus Aerospace units? Even if you have rear-firing weapons or the ability to arm flip, you cannot attack the rear of an Aerospace fighter; you must always fire at the hex immediately before it enters your own.

For example, an Aerospace unit flies over my Longbow, approaching the Mech from its front. It cannot arm flip and fire its LRM-20s at the Aft of the fighter (the hex behind the LGB-7Q); it MUST fire forward. Also, how does this account for units like vehicles with no turret. Would an AC2 Carrier be completely unable to fire at an airborne target that's entering its hex from the rear arc? Since the angle-of-attack is at the rear, it cannot fire in the hex directly in front of it, if the rules are played as-written in the errata.

This sounds erroneous.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2016, 20:04:46 by TigerShark »
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Register