Author Topic: Are there rules for blending AToW and Battletech?  (Read 2015 times)

TimmyTheNerd

• Sergeant
Are there rules for blending AToW and Battletech?
« on: 14 February 2017, 19:28:43 »
I have a group I play PnP RPGs with. Was thinking of using AToW to get them into Battletech, so I was wondering if there are any rules or guides for taking AToW and making all the players MechWarriors, and then using the Battletech rules for Mech on Mech combat. I haven't checked out AToW yet, I wanted to ask this before I went out and buy the book.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Are there rules for blending AToW and Battletech?
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2017, 20:10:08 »
Yes, those rules are in A Time of War.  If you're not 100% sure about the purchase, go with the pdf first, then decide if you need the hardcopy.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2017, 21:27:50 »
Yes, don't have my books handy so can't give you exact page numbers. But from what I remember it's pretty easy to play BT with AToW characters. I know it gives the equation to convert AToW skill levels to BT ones  if you would rather just play straight BattleTech instead of messing with the Vehicular Combat rules from AToW.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2017, 22:36:21 »
In fact it's better at the vehicular scale to convert and play conventional vehicle scale BT.  ATOW tends to complicate things at that scale and on top of that doesn't play quite like tabletop.  So it's better to just convert and use ATOW for personal scale and BT for vehicle scale.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

UrQuanKzinti

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2017, 13:24:47 »
There's a chapter on tabletop integration, but you're going to find some inconsistencies, particularly in how ATOW characters respond to pilot hits in Battletech (they are much more liable to fall unconscious and/or die)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2017, 16:04:23 »
In fact it's better at the vehicular scale to convert and play conventional vehicle scale BT.  ATOW tends to complicate things at that scale and on top of that doesn't play quite like tabletop.  So it's better to just convert and use ATOW for personal scale and BT for vehicle scale.

Yeah, those rules are good if you are dueling (say Solaris or Clan trials); but get waaaaay too complicated for anything above 1v1.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Register