Poll

Following the Death of Brandon Howell in 3053 who would you elect saKhan?

Star Colonel Devon Osis
8 (26.7%)
Loremaster Lamar Kotare
11 (36.7%)
Star Admiral Nahuel Montizima
5 (16.7%)
Star Colonel Erik Furey
6 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: 03 March 2017, 12:16:33

Author Topic: Elect a new Smoke Jaguar saKhan!  (Read 15692 times)

Decoy

• Captain
Re: Elect a new Smoke Jaguar saKhan!
« Reply #30 on: 25 February 2017, 16:09:12 »
All Tancred wants are schmucks doing schmuck duty while the REAL Warriors go out and get to fight. Real warriors don't defend. That is a perfect job for bondsmen and freeborn.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #31 on: 26 February 2017, 22:23:44 »
Out of character, worktroll I hear what you are saying but if you actually look at Kotare's "revolutionary" proposals they are shocking but after the initial impact of these changes sink in any Jaguar can see that they are not that radical. Decoy quite correctly points out that freeborns and Mongoose bloodnames would remain second line defenders while more true Jaguar warriors can go on the offensive. Really I think you are just maximizing your resources which are currently not being used whatsoever.

And also don't forget the shocking events that have undone the Jaguars supposed supremacy which may have caused some even in universe to consider a different approach. Leo Showers was elected ilKhan to lead the Crusade, they finished second to Jade Falcon in the Revival Trials earning them the second best corridor, and according to my best estimate the Clan had 61 Clusters prior to the invasion which may have been the most at the time.

Turtle Bay saw the Heir to the Dragon escape from under their noses followed by the highly questionable (if not downright dishonorable) orbital bombardment of Edo. Losses at Wolcott, Luthien, and Tukayyid were followed by their "Sixth Wave" which was occurred only two weeks after that great battle. They unleashed Delta Galaxy against three Draconis worlds (Tanh Linh, Baruun Urt, and McAlister) only to again be defeated in each instance.

Now in my alternate things have gotten worse as their singular 'hero' Brandon Howell has been killed in a Trial that will fundamentally reshape the Clan invasion and just looking at their canon numbers again I have only 37 Clusters under arms as of 3054. That is a loss of 24 Clusters in just 5 years! Two dozen cluster wiped out. That is a lot of Bloodnamed warriors gone and the Jaguars know it. So these losses may just have out weighed their traditional response.

To be honest I thought the results would be more in Osis and Furey favor with Kotare and Montizima bringing up the rear. None of the four has really distinguished themselves like Brandon Howell did on Tukayyid so the current four way log jam does make a certain amount of sense to me. I'm still hoping for more turnout however before the end of our poll here on Friday and where that could take us is anyone's guess. ;)
« Last Edit: 26 February 2017, 23:35:35 by Takiro »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #32 on: 26 February 2017, 23:21:30 »
All Tancred wants are schmucks doing schmuck duty while the REAL Warriors go out and get to fight. Real warriors don't defend. That is a perfect job for bondsmen and freeborn.

"Schmucks" admitted to the Warrior Caste?

You degrade the caste system like this?

THis is not the Clan I was bred for.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #33 on: 27 February 2017, 20:48:55 »
[looks like the Clan is on the verge of creating a second tier warrior caste composed of bondsman, freeborns, and reborn Mongoose warriors to allow all trueborn Jaguar warriors every chance to serve on the front - only four days left to vote! Here is my second list of canon figures and whom they support in this election]

Emilie Wimmer is the longest serving front line Star Colonel currently in the Jaguar Touman following the death of Aaron Showers. Commanding the 362nd Assault Cluster (Beta Galaxy) since 3049 this elite Mechwarrior is skilled at reading adversaries and anticipating their maneuvers. She showcased this ability in September 3050 when her unit roundly defeated the 10th Alshain Regulars to win control of Courchevel. Many were surprised when she seconded the nomination of Erik Furey as the next saKhan saying “I have no rival greater than the Panther in the Smoke Jaguar Clan - he shows the greatest promise out of all the potential candidates”.

Paul Moon was only recently promoted to Star Colonel in command of the 3rd Jaguar Cavaliers (Delta Galaxy). A devoted Crusader Elemental he fought alongside Devon Osis and Luthien whom he avidly supports. Both warriors missed Tukayyid with grave injuries “or else things would have gone far differently.” He boldly condemns those able bodied who lost or did not participate in the battle as false Jaguars who should be relegated to lesser duty immediately.

Jon Howell is the commander of the 11th Garrison Cluster (Psi Galaxy) which currently defends Yamarovka in the InnerSphere. This veteran Star Colonel who pilots an upgraded King Crab is still feared for his impressive victories prior to the invasion. Lured by the chance of returning to the front armed with experiences versus dishonorable InnerSphere foes he speaks in favor of his trothkin Lamar Kotare. “I support the formation Freebirth Clusters to allow trueborn Jaguar warriors to resume the offensive while using every weapon at our disposal to defeat the treacherous Houses who betrayed the Great Father.”

Matius Chrisholm commands the Lynx Pouncer Naval Star which patrols the Exodus Road from its fleet base at Suda Bay. Since Ulric Kerensky bid away all warships after Turtle Bay the Star Commodore has languished in the Deep Periphery seeking out any would be opponent. Recently the Nova Cat Clan has drawn his ire striking at Jaguar transports heading to the InnerSphere. He supports Nahuel Montizima as a fellow naval officer and “enemy of all who would stand in the Jaguar’s way.”
« Last Edit: 27 February 2017, 20:50:55 by Takiro »

Bradshaw

• Corporal
  • Never trust a man scratching his chin
« Reply #34 on: 28 February 2017, 11:04:19 »
Hi RL Friend of Takiro and I agree with WorkTroll. A Leopard does not change its spots. If anything it returns to what it knows best or if using the animal analogy If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

Smoke Jaguar is nothing but predictable and due to the loss of so many warriors, I would assume the majority of their remaining warriors are young and fresh from their sibkos. Therefore more staunchly in line with their ideology or "brainwashed" if you will. I cannot see them deciding to go the extreme of allowing Freebirths let alone Inner Sphere mechwarriors into their Toumans let alone the using of Mongoose bloodnames. At most I could see them using them for trade with another clan for resources.

Just my take.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2017, 11:08:55 by Bradshaw »

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #35 on: 28 February 2017, 15:40:20 »
My vote is Lamar Kotare
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 28 February 2017, 16:12:54 »
Hi RL Friend of Takiro and I agree with WorkTroll. A Leopard does not change its spots. If anything it returns to what it knows best or if using the animal analogy If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

Did you vote? :) And will you support a Challenge to the travesty of allowing freebirth scum into the Warrior Caste of the finest Clan of all?
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #37 on: 28 February 2017, 23:14:09 »
[thanks for signing up once again Bradshaw and voting for your candidate for saKhan, as Winterwolf already voted that just leaves Gus to vote for his choice. Glad to see you voted Wolfcannon and you were not the only one who voted for the Loremaster today. That lead just keeps getting bigger but there is still time to make your voice heard folks - three days left to vote and sound off here!]

[perhaps Bradshaw will get into character and sound off worktroll ;) ]

Each candidate for the saKhanship of the Smoke Jaguars is promoting a new flagship unit as part of their plan to rebuild the Clan. These prestige clusters would serve as their keystone formation in a renewed Alpha Galaxy and help to conquer their enemies once more. It will also give the Bloodnamed a chance to see what each nominee has planned for the future.

Jaguar Knights (Nahuel Montizima)
Drawing on his own namesake Star Admiral Montizima has based his ideal formation on ancient Mesoamerican warriors, which would mark a clear departure from established Smoke Jaguar tradition. To be a part of his so-called Obsidian Warriors candidates would have to be trueborn Jaguar and surpass certain benchmarks such as ten kills, collect enough isorla (double your augmented mass), as well as capturing another Clan’s warrior. These standards would allow entry into this elite cluster which would be the highest profile within the Clan sharing the Khan’s ceremonial Jaguar dress. Nahuel has chosen Star Captain Babur Rakhmatulina to command this unit even though he is not yet a Star Colonel. This young ristar from a small bloodhouse is an avid supporter of the Star Admiral’s policies and looks forward to the challenge of assembling the new Cluster which would include an aerospace trinary unlike some other Jaguar units. The Knights have also pledged to utilize “Jaguar made” equipment like the Warhawk, the Ebon Jaguar, and the Sabutai which could make them lighter than some of the other proposed units.

Jaguar Grenadiers (Lamar Kotare)
The Loremaster decreed upon his nomination that he would push for the reconstruction of the Shadow Stalkers in honor of fallen saKhan Brandon Howell who once commanded them. With origins going back to the dawn of the Clan this unit was frequently utilized as the shock troops of Alpha Galaxy. Star Captain Brau Showers is among three survivors from Dinju Heights who would form the core of this renewed legacy cluster. While Showers is recovering from wounds sustained at Tukayyid he would have to test up to become a Star Colonel - something the Loremaster has confidence this combat veteran can do. Composed of Light Assaults, Fast Heavies, and Mediums this quick moving formation will focus on ranged combat strikes made during hard charges at the enemy. This was a hallmark of the Grenadiers which Kotare no doubt will utilize to the fullest extent.

Sixth Jaguar Dragoons (Devon Osis)
Rebuilding the Khan’s unit as the leading cluster of Alpha Galaxy is a priority for Star Colonel Devon Osis whose contingent is already coming together. They have an illustrious record of service including a second-place finish in the Revival Trials during which they represented their Clan proudly. The Wolf Slayers are currently being reassembled by Star Colonel Brendon Corbett at the behest of Khan Lincoln Osis. Corbett together with the other seven surviving warriors of the cluster from Tukayyid have already put together a mixed Trinary armed with the very best equipment and personnel the Clan has available. Made up of assault OmniMechs, like the Dire Wolf which the cluster successfully trialed from Clan Wolf, it is easily the largest command in terms of sheer mass. The Dragoons typically used long range strikes which often wore down opponents for a bone crushing close quarter assaults that finished them.

Smoke Jaegers (Erik Furey)
The Solitary Hunters are to be built as the epitome of their creator’s philosophies which might make for less of a cohesive unit and more a band of elite warriors. Furey choose Star Captain Brian Weaver who is perhaps the finest young ristar in Smoke Jaguar Clan history. This elite Mechwarrior killed three opponents in his Ebon Jaguar and surprised many Clansman by electing to remain in the Homeworlds rather than joining the InnerSphere invasion. Recently winning former saKhan Sarah Weaver’s Bloodright he has never lost a battle and only fights those adversaries he deems worthy. Given their independent nature this command could have a wide variety of equipment and personnel. Aside from being the finest warriors the Clan has to offer and as such superb duelists the Jaegers maybe focused on fighting other Clans rather than lowly InnerSphere dezgra.

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #38 on: 01 March 2017, 09:21:06 »
Did you vote? :) And will you support a Challenge to the travesty of allowing freebirth scum into the Warrior Caste of the finest Clan of all?

I had to, I voiced my opinion but Takiro said it wasn't official unless I voted on here  >:(

I don't get into character very well with Clan characters they got sticks up their butts too much for me lol. I'm more of a rebel  }:)

In the discussion I had with Takiro about the choices, I told him it really depended on his vision for SJ if he wanted them to survive I'd go with Kotare but if he wanted them to die go with Furey or Osis. I had no strong thoughts on the Admiral. I feel in this alternate history give it 10 years with Furey or Osis and we'd be seeing another clan absorbed. With Kotare who knows what the future may hold.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #39 on: 01 March 2017, 12:15:18 »
Sorry Bradshaw, I liked to get as much input as possible for these scenarios and it has been fun. :) Don't be afraid to mention that it was your Star Adder MechWarrior that caused all of this election nonsense. If it was not for her lucky last ditch alpha strike who knows what would have happened.

Just a bit of analysis on this four way vote, I think it makes sense to a certain degree. Osis and Furey are two sides of the same coin splitting the vote as we go here. One is status quo and the other is anti-establishment. Their votes seem to come from young front line warriors who will no doubt be the future of the Clan but may yet lack bloodnames. Kotare's support has been impressive but largely from second line forces and lower ranked senior officers no doubt frustrated by the Jaguar's performance, these 'survivors' probably have the most bloodnames and hence representation in the Council. Montizima is the supremacist who gets votes from the Naval Arm of the Clan which has been sidelined perhaps the most as well as some minor Jaguar Bloodhouses who resent outsiders in the Council.

Only two days left to go!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 01 March 2017, 13:37:04 »
I have voted, while I have harder time taking a Smoke Jaguar personality, I went with Devon Osis.  The reason he has proven himself to have the skills to lead and hold the clan together.

I would have given Eric a chance if showed he knew how to work with others, and lead them but he shows me to much individualism then leaderships skills

Lamar idea to bring weaker blood (bondsmen) into the warrior class isn't going to help us, and can you really trust them to be loyal.

Nahuel, while it would be nice to let him show his skills this isn't Snow Ravens, and his skill set isn't what going to earn him respect from the rest of the Jaguars
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #41 on: 01 March 2017, 15:25:00 »
Quote from: Worktroll

Yes I voted for Furey as I felt the young warriors would vote for the younger of the more conservative picks, and I would consider this a necessity

Sorry Bradshaw, I liked to get as much input as possible for these scenarios and it has been fun. :) Don't be afraid to mention that it was your Star Adder MechWarrior that caused all of this election nonsense. If it was not for her lucky last ditch alpha strike who knows what would have happened.

It was my honor to trounce the SJ with the Star Adder forces.

« Last Edit: 01 March 2017, 15:32:00 by Bradshaw »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #42 on: 01 March 2017, 18:43:04 »
Thanks for voting and justifying your selection DOC_Argen.

Your just lucky you won the initiative Bradshaw or I would have made mince meat out of your precious Star Adders. ;)

Two final canon character endorsements should round out that series.

Mikhail Ward is a Wolf Clan abtakha who was taken by the Smoke Jaguars during the Operation Revival Refusal Trial. He returned to warrior status quickly and was posted to the 1st Jaguar Guards during the invasion of the InnerSphere. Fighting in five different planetary assaults including Luthien and Tukayyid he proved to be an excellent warrior. Despite his best efforts the Guards were mauled in both engagements and at the conclusion of fighting with the ComGuards he was discovered to be the lone survivor. Promoted to Star Colonel he has worked hard to restore his old command to combat status which maybe accomplished early next year. This ristar MechWarrior who pilots a Warhawk is currently the frontrunner to become the next commander of Beta Galaxy this well respected combat veteran backs Devon Osis as the next saKhan.

Jin Mehta is another Jaguar high commander with a Wolf bloodname who has been noted for his highly focused, tenacious, and aggressive mindset. This staunch Crusader MechWarrior pilots a Dire Wolf from which he commands Epsilon Galaxy. While his tactical abilities are somewhat limited Jin has natural strategic talents that make him a potentially gifted large scale commander. As he was selected for his command by Khan Lincoln Osis it should come as no surprise that he strongly backs his protégé, Devon Osis, for the position of saKhan.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 01 March 2017, 19:08:35 »
Okay, plot twist (my son just saw an M Night Shamalamalinglang movie ...)

Devon Osis challenges Eric Furey. The threat of allowing corruption of the Warrior caste is unacceptable, and Osis and Furey are splitting the true faith vote between them, allowing Kotare to sneak ahead. Allowing Kotare to rise to the saKhan position therefore cannot be accepted. True Smoke Jaguar warriors must unite to prevent this.

And what better means of uniting these factions than whaling the beeswax out of each other using the sacred Clan ritual of Trial? Osis challenges Furey for his support, and those of his supporters, to prevent the greater threat posed by Kotare. Furey of course has the choice to choose augumented/unaugumented. The victor gains the votes of the loser. Thus Osis honours Clan tradition, Furey's undoubted battle prowess, and indicates he is prepared to place himself on the line to maintain Clan honour and purity.

Takiro, how big a monkey-wrench would this throw into your plans?  O:-)

James Tanaga

• Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: 01 March 2017, 21:49:24 »
Cue Kotare declaring a Trial of Possession for the Winner's votes. Badly damaged and tired, the winner is unlikely to win the second Trial, giving Kotare an easy victory. Thus neither will do so.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 01 March 2017, 22:28:24 »
Reasonably sure that such tactics would be viewed as cynical and dishonorable, and definitely un-Clan-like. But let's see what Takiro has to say.

(Come on - that bird ain't going to fly. Otherwise every decision would be challenged like this. The Clans let the Trial speak for itself.)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #46 on: 01 March 2017, 23:12:09 »
Trothkin, I, Liam Nevversan, shall be heard.

I have seen our enemy. Felled at Black Luthien, taken as a captive, held for years, I have seen their heart. I have seen their true, perverse strength. I know the words of a failed, defeated, old warrior mean nothing to so many of you, even as the defeated begin to outnumber the victorious. We hide behind tradition, cast blame to all others but ourselves, all to avoid facing the truth. We are a failing, dying clan, and we face an enemy that will hasten us to that end. 

We do not face honorable combat. We face an enemy that cares nothing for honor.
We do not face a scattered host, we face an army with resources and numbers beyond our ability to match.
We do not seek to rule tiny enclaves of cowed lower castes, we face billions who have never known the structure of the clan system.
We do not have allies, we are surrounded by opportunistic predators who will turn on us at every sign of weakness.

If the Jaguar cannot evolve, the Jaguar will die. If we cannot evolve, we should die, to make way for those who will, as has been our way since our founding.

Only Loremaster Kotare recognizes this. To make any other choice is to embrace our end.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #47 on: 02 March 2017, 07:22:38 »
It does not throw a monkey wrench into my plans at all as you will see. ;)

There can be no challenges during the vote especially after it has begun. Wait till it's conclusion and I think you will be pleased with the results. O0

I'll have to get in character a little bit "It is good to hear from my old friend Liam Nevversan. May his return to our Clan mark our return to glory."
« Last Edit: 02 March 2017, 20:16:48 by Takiro »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #48 on: 02 March 2017, 20:16:59 »
Well folks there is a little over twelve hours remaining till the polls close here on the forum and while some clear favorites have emerged the election is still anyone’s to grab. You know who the candidates are, which canon characters support them, and their planned prestige units should they be selected. Now I do have something planned which will come from all of this that should be posted tomorrow as soon as I get home. It should be a lot of fun but your votes still matter and could take things in a very unexpected direction. Personally, I can’t wait to see what is going to happen. Thanks again to everyone who has already participated by voting and speaking out on your views either plainly or in character. Will the Smoke Jaguar Clan embrace a new direction, go down a very different path, or stick to its identity till the very end whatever that maybe? You decide!
« Last Edit: 02 March 2017, 20:19:18 by Takiro »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 02 March 2017, 21:15:24 »
Tokare's vision:

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 02 March 2017, 21:16:27 »
i believe the Jaguars voice has spoken.
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #51 on: 02 March 2017, 22:14:44 »
Tokare's vision

LOL, not quite as cute. :D

This contest was created because there were several different possibilities and I had no clue which one will win. In fact this whole thing could throw a monkey wrench into my original plans for the Smoke Jaguars. After it is all over I will disclose who my choice for saKhan but I am having a lot of fun with this. Hope you are too!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #52 on: 03 March 2017, 08:10:00 »
I think most Smoke Jaguars view themselves more akin to this

Although Elementals might be closer to that size.  And even with Kotare's reforms should he be elected and win any Trial of Refusal, they still basically would be that.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 03 March 2017, 09:01:29 »
I believe the visceral attitude of the Clan warriors will only grow worse with the addition of the mongoose bloodnamed and freeborns to the ranks of the Solhama and the introduction Freebirth units.   
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #54 on: 03 March 2017, 09:01:49 »
Okay, plot twist (my son just saw an M Night Shamalamalinglang movie ...)

Devon Osis challenges Eric Furey. The threat of allowing corruption of the Warrior caste is unacceptable, and Osis and Furey are splitting the true faith vote between them, allowing Kotare to sneak ahead. Allowing Kotare to rise to the saKhan position therefore cannot be accepted. True Smoke Jaguar warriors must unite to prevent this.

And what better means of uniting these factions than whaling the beeswax out of each other using the sacred Clan ritual of Trial? Osis challenges Furey for his support, and those of his supporters, to prevent the greater threat posed by Kotare. Furey of course has the choice to choose augumented/unaugumented. The victor gains the votes of the loser. Thus Osis honours Clan tradition, Furey's undoubted battle prowess, and indicates he is prepared to place himself on the line to maintain Clan honour and purity.

Takiro, how big a monkey-wrench would this throw into your plans?  O:-)

Eric Furey challenges Devon Osis to a thumb wrestling competition I agree and whole heartily approve, well maybe not that ridiculous of a trial something that allows the other to win without risk of injury to challenge Kotare.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2017, 10:15:54 by Bradshaw »

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #55 on: 03 March 2017, 10:26:01 »
I believe the visceral attitude of the Clan warriors will only grow worse with the addition of the mongoose bloodnamed and freeborns to the ranks of the Solhama and the introduction Freebirth units.

Agreed I also could see this as causing Star Adder to attack Smoke Jaguar maybe even an absorption as they hated Mongoose and hated Smoke Jaguar for absorbing them originally now with the current events that seem to be playing out (this trial and seemingly new sakhan and ideas) Star Adder will really hate Smoke Jaguar.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2017, 11:29:04 by Bradshaw »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #56 on: 03 March 2017, 11:25:41 »
Only about 2 hours left till the polls close, get your votes in Jaguars or forever hold your peace! ;)

You guys could be right about the Jaguar trueborn warriors but the distance between them and the lower castes maybe effectively buffered by the introduction of this second and third tier warrior caste.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 03 March 2017, 11:54:15 »
well we know that the Jaguar used Freebirth Clusters and named them such.    i could see them using the absorbed warriors of the Mongoose for Solhama clusters equating them to panetary militias, and freebirth clusters for site defense units or city defense.  i didnt know that the Star Adders hated Mongoose, i knew they had legitimate anger toward them but that seemed to die out when they took the enclave and slaughtered the mongoose unit. 
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

Bradshaw

• Corporal
« Reply #58 on: 03 March 2017, 12:05:55 »
well we know that the Jaguar used Freebirth Clusters and named them such.    i could see them using the absorbed warriors of the Mongoose for Solhama clusters equating them to panetary militias, and freebirth clusters for site defense units or city defense.  i didnt know that the Star Adders hated Mongoose, i knew they had legitimate anger toward them but that seemed to die out when they took the enclave and slaughtered the mongoose unit.

Star Adder was in the middle of reclaiming a handful of  planets I believe from Mongoose at the time Smoke Jaguar initiated the absorption trial. Causing them to hate SJ for interfering in what they thought was their battle. Mongoose picked on Star Adder and Blood Spirit a lot in their early years. I recall reading.

Just reread things on sarna.net to confirm my memories.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Star_Adder
&
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Mongoose

And for my argument against Kotare
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Smoke_Jaguar
The success of the Smoke Jaguars' military endeavors only furthered the discrimination the ruling warrior caste directed towards not only their own civilians but freeborns as well, until even their very existence was scorned. Though all Clans valued the warrior caste above others and directed some measure of contempt towards freebirths, the Smoke Jaguar Clan took this to an entirely new level, leading to much greater resentment among those ostensibly meant to support the warriors' ability to fight.

« Last Edit: 03 March 2017, 12:36:54 by Bradshaw »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #59 on: 03 March 2017, 12:31:41 »
I think the Jaguars hate the Adders for a couple of reasons. Yes, Mongoose had taken several possessions from Star Adder prior to their Absorption. When the Jaguars claimed that Clan the Adders took the opportunity to reclaim their lost territories. The Jags didn't take kindly to that action as they claimed all of Mongoose possessions and viewed the Adders as interfering in their absorption.

The philosophies of both Clans are also opposites with the exception of them being Crusaders. Adder pragmatism is viewed as all talk by the hyper aggressive Jaguars. The more strategic thinking Adders think the Jaguars leap before they look foolishly. So it's a personality conflict at its core that divides them IMO.

I take an opposite view of the Freebirth Cluster as the word has a different meaning to the Clans. It is a curse word essentially reflecting on the persons question birthright. So it could have been a Solhama Clusters berated by the Clan for poor performance or grave misdeeds. Had it been a Freeborn Cluster then I would agree with you but the prejudice against fielding those types of warriors was likely far too much for the Clan to overcome at the time.

ONE HOUR LEFT TO VOTE FOLKS!

Register