Author Topic: Death of the Ghost Bears?  (Read 3881 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Death of the Ghost Bears?
« on: 21 February 2017, 16:14:53 »
IF the homeworld clans ever do invade and if they come the same way wouldn't the Ghostbears be the logical target of their aggression? As I would assume the strongest invader but who has also integrated the most with the IS aren't they the most " tainted" of clans?

snewsom2997

• Captain
Re: Death of the Ghost Bears?
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2017, 16:41:04 »
I would say yes, They would be the logical choice for the 3050 HW Clans, however for the 3150 HW Clans, I don't think they are seeking honorable combat, just genocide. In which case they would bypass the strongest Clan and hit the Weakened Lyrans, and the Denuded DCMS Border, then surround and suffocate the Bears, Falcons and Horses.

Clans Wolf, Sea Fox and Snow Raven being quite removed from the invasion corridor, would take longer if ever.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2017, 17:17:30 »

If any strategic planner has half a brain, they'll invade and run redundant supply lines through unoccupied systems, bypassing the enemy units, strongpoints, borders, and populations they don't care about.  Especially after the Blakies repeatedly showed how to do it during the Jihad.

And even if no one takes that page out of the Blakie playbook again, I doubt we'll see Operation Revival Mk. II.  The Adders are (supposed to be) smarter than that.

I would also not be surprised to find out that the Homeworld Clans never invade the Inner Sphere.

The Bastion and Aggressor ideologies are diametrically opposed on the question of invasion but the Aggressors are open to the use of total warfare.  If those factions went to war over whether to invade and pulled out the WMDs, there would be no invasion.  They'd knock each other back into the Stone Age.

And if the Bastion ideology continues to be dominant in the Homeworlds and subjugates the Aggressors (bloodlessly or otherwise), there will also be no invasion.  The Bastions are isolationists.

The only way there is an invasion is if the Aggressors gain the upper hand in the Homeworlds.  Last we knew, they did not have it, and the effort necessary to gain it may forestall invasion forever.

Like the Outbound Light falling into Jaguar hands, I think it will take a deus ex machina to get the Homeworlds to mount an invasion without falling into another round of crippling internecine warfare.  And maybe that's what Banacek had planned.

FWIW...

« Last Edit: 23 February 2017, 06:19:20 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2017, 00:29:48 »
Plus someone should remember not to poke the Bears: sure the Bears are human like everyone else but you don't want to be on the receiving end of their fury. Ask the Combine, the Blakists, and the Nova Cats.

The Bears make the logical choice only if they want to target one of the larger Clans. If they want to target weaker clans they target the Horses or Falcons. They smash apart Foxes in the Isles and the Scorpions in the Imperio first.

Of course this is all predicated on what Natasha said: if the Bastions and Agressors don't murder each other first and IF they have scouts telling them the status of the Sphere

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2017, 09:00:54 »
I'd like point out something.  Having read more recent information about the Ghost Bears /Ghost Bear Dominion/Rasalhague Dominion.  The Clan itself is for the most part intact despite it's Inner Sphere outer coating.  Warriors political culture got more Conservative as later Dark Ages hit.  Thus why Omega Galaxy was not pursued when it went "native" in the short lived Vega Protectorate.  If one the Clans has stayed more or less what they were, it's Ghost Bears.  Their not dead, their  Armageddon waiting to happen should someone try to poke them in the side.

If the IClan thing happens and there invasion from Clan Home Space, these guys could be vulnerable should the it be powerful invasion while the Frontline troops of the Bears is focused to core of the Inner Sphere.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Nightgaun7

• Warrant Officer
  • The ends justify the means.
    • Built for War - A BattleTech TRO by fans like you!
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2017, 20:18:35 »
It's gonna be really sweet when one of those Levs suffers a misjump.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2017, 21:21:15 »
Total Warfare in BT is terrifying and arguably no one has done it yet. That includes WoB.

The realistic space defences of a world like Alshain is 150 ASF. If the attacker is notably larger than that mukes are the only logical response. The defenders will have the time to make that decision.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2017, 09:01:55 »
I agree - my question was if the Aggressors attack would they see the Bears as the most " tainted" 

I'd like point out something.  Having read more recent information about the Ghost Bears /Ghost Bear Dominion/Rasalhague Dominion.  The Clan itself is for the most part intact despite it's Inner Sphere outer coating.  Warriors political culture got more Conservative as later Dark Ages hit.  Thus why Omega Galaxy was not pursued when it went "native" in the short lived Vega Protectorate.  If one the Clans has stayed more or less what they were, it's Ghost Bears.  Their not dead, their  Armageddon waiting to happen should someone try to poke them in the side.

If the IClan thing happens and there invasion from Clan Home Space, these guys could be vulnerable should the it be powerful invasion while the Frontline troops of the Bears is focused to core of the Inner Sphere.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2017, 12:16:16 »
I agree - my question was if the Aggressors attack would they see the Bears as the most " tainted"
Yes. No exposition needed.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2017, 15:38:22 »

Yes. No exposition needed.
Before my keyboard went haywire, I totally agree with Sharpnel.  Way the Clans were behaving after the last of the Invaders where kicked out painted the picture of anyone who had gone to the Inner Sphere was considered to be tainted.

I believe the Star Adders (lead Home Clan), kept the later (insane) Steel Vipers mentality of taint to unify the last of the Home Clans and steel them up for long recovery and reconstruction effort they had all faced in the decades to come.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2017, 18:34:33 »

I don't think that the HW Clans will ever return to the IS, they might expand into the Imperio, but then again they might decide to have another exodus to get even farther away (and find better worlds).
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #11 on: 24 February 2017, 06:41:01 »
It all depends on how hard they come back.

Sneak WMD planet depopulating attacks. Yep. They will wipe out the Dominion's ability to respond and the Dominion will go down.

That is not much of a game or story and ends with the rest of the Sphere going on a snake hunt.

If they don't it gets interesting. If the defender knows what is coming they can respond in kind. Provided that they are not distracted the Dominion can probably survive it. If push comes to shove the Rasalhagians will be willing to fight and can be militarized in numbers the Homeworlds can't match. The Dominions credit is good so even the loss of factories is meaningless. The neighbors will be happy to keep the Dominion fighting.

The end result is ugly beyond anything we have seen but the Homeworlds will go down in a sea of Rasalhagian blood.

Of course the other option is that the Homeworlds aren't as hardcore as they pretend and there will be the usual back and forth and return to status quo.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #12 on: 24 February 2017, 18:30:55 »
The Ghost Bears are the largest Inner Sphere based Clan and even after the Jihad they could easily counter the largest Homeworld Clan, the Star Adders. And the Star Adders would be fighting the Bears in there home territory so I think they would get chewed up and spit out very quickly.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #13 on: 24 February 2017, 20:34:02 »
Didn't the bears spend sime time helping set uo their periphery boarder with mini casle brians or something? I also remember doing some weird stuff in the peperiphary post jihad where a warrior had to apologize to a wanna be clan ruling family.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2017, 22:18:09 »
When did Vega join the Dominion? I'm not sure how I missed that.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2017, 22:25:53 »
When did Vega join the Dominion? I'm not sure how I missed that.

It was part of the update in FM and ER 3145. Absorbed into the Dominion on 6 June 3144.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #16 on: 25 February 2017, 10:31:37 »
I don't think that the HW Clans will ever return to the IS, they might expand into the Imperio, but then again they might decide to have another exodus to get even farther away (and find better worlds).
This would be something I would like to see:
A new and mighty Deep Space power, an evolution of the Homeclans.

And then the Inner Sphere goes nuts and attacks them - big mistake and the beginning of an interstellar deep space war.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 25 February 2017, 19:21:08 »
It was part of the update in FM and ER 3145. Absorbed into the Dominion on 6 June 3144.

Thanks, I have some rereading to do.

Register