Author Topic: Logan - Movie thoughts - no Spoilers.  (Read 9243 times)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Re: Logan - Movie thoughts - no Spoilers.
« Reply #30 on: 04 March 2017, 08:27:43 »
I saw it and it was dark and dirty. All the way up to the ending it was a great movie. Didn't like the ending. The girl was great.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #31 on: 04 March 2017, 09:50:53 »
Its a really good movie. It, however, is NOT a superhero movie. It may have superheroes in it, but it is not your typical superhero movie. Its character driven, yes there is some action, but its not an action movie. Its a character movie which happens to feature a few superheroes. I know its not giving things away, but if you go expecting Avengers/X-Men type movie - you're in the wrong cinema. All the actors were really good, and its an intense movie with *feelings* and stuff....

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #32 on: 04 March 2017, 13:15:58 »
Agreed... I just got back from watching it, and it was really good. Now to talk my wife into going to see it...

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #33 on: 05 March 2017, 22:57:48 »
I saw it opening night, and after my buddy and I exited the theater, I turned to him and said, "Did we just watch No Country for X-Men?"

Yeah, it's that good.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #34 on: 06 March 2017, 00:18:41 »
Just got home from the theater...My god! That was an amazing movie. Not just as a superhero movie...But as cinema. (Yeah I know, that's horribly pretentious.)

The directing as flawless, the writing was superb. But what really sold the film, was the acting. Both Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart were simply brilliant. They both were at the absolute top of their respective games in the film.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #35 on: 07 March 2017, 18:59:24 »
I can finally go into this thread after watching it today.
That was a FRICKING BLOODY AND EMOTIONAL ROLLCOASTER!
Oh and there is NO post credit scene.
Yeah I waited for that one and then it hit you that it is truly the End.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 07 March 2017, 19:30:31 »
I usually wait for the end of the credits anyway.  The folks who put so many hours into bringing us the movie deserve at least that much respect.  Plus, there are some people with seriously cool names who work in film...

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 07 March 2017, 20:09:58 »
The pre-credits with the Deadpool preview was worth the non post credit footage.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 07 March 2017, 20:14:54 »
Oh, definitely... that was hilarious in its own right.  I'm surprised that hasn't made it to YouTube yet...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #39 on: 07 March 2017, 22:03:41 »
It has, a slightly longer version was released officially when Logan opened I think.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 08 March 2017, 02:12:52 »
I usually wait for the end of the credits anyway.  The folks who put so many hours into bringing us the movie deserve at least that much respect.  Plus, there are some people with seriously cool names who work in film...

It is also fun, to see if there's anyone you might know..  Such as when they did braveheart in the UK, some of the stunt-men/extras were listed, and i had heard a few months earlier in my neck of the woods, they had done a round up of a few dozen people to be those extras.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #41 on: 08 March 2017, 04:04:23 »
Has anyone else seen it yet?  If so what are your thoughts?

Loved it.  Loved the Story, the end and send off is well crafted and a little heart wrenching, for me at least. And the Deadpool Trailer at the beginning..loved that too!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #42 on: 08 March 2017, 07:56:17 »
Loved it.  Loved the Story, the end and send off is well crafted and a little heart wrenching, for me at least. And the Deadpool Trailer at the beginning..loved that too!
Heartwrenching that's it! that's how I felt and still do now the morning after. As I said earlier it is really the End especially once you see what she did to the marker.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #43 on: 09 March 2017, 17:07:00 »

I watched the movie a few days ago, it was very well made and it did pull me in, but I don't see myself buying a Blueray of it.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 15 April 2017, 13:15:01 »
So watched it again and I have to say, I still think it's the best comicbook movie yet made.

One nitpick though, I think it would have been better if the girl had just had bone claws like Logan did before the X-Weapon program. (Also, how's a kid supposed to grow with adamantium bones?)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #45 on: 15 April 2017, 13:28:56 »
Don't know about the movie, but in the comic books X-23 only has Adamantium claws, she lacks the Adamantium skeleton that Wolverine had.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #46 on: 15 April 2017, 13:35:42 »
Don't know about the movie, but in the comic books X-23 only has Adamantium claws, she lacks the Adamantium skeleton that Wolverine had.
In the later issues, I think she did had a full kit in the original incarnation.

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 17 April 2017, 10:02:47 »
I just saw this travesty. And honestly it is a travesty, because it had sooooo much wrong with it. Let's dive right in...

• Adamanium was never said to poison the body. This is the first it's implied to poison a body.
  • Even if it could poison someone, Logan heals. So at worst he'd just not heal as fast.
  • There was literally no plot in this movie. Cut. Slash. Oh my car. Kids run. Die.
  • Professor X had no point in this movie. Mind quakes, take your pills old man, whoops he's dead.
  • Mutants being bred out of existence by pharmaceuticals and additives in food? Lame.
  • Logan having difficulty popping his claws because of being sick? Not buying it. Its part of his bone structure.

Seriously I cannot stress how much I hated this movie.
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #48 on: 17 April 2017, 10:59:30 »
I just saw this travesty. And honestly it is a travesty, because it had sooooo much wrong with it. Let's dive right in...

• Adamanium was never said to poison the body. This is the first it's implied to poison a body.
  • Even if it could poison someone, Logan heals. So at worst he'd just not heal as fast.
  • There was literally no plot in this movie. Cut. Slash. Oh my car. Kids run. Die.
  • Professor X had no point in this movie. Mind quakes, take your pills old man, whoops he's dead.
  • Mutants being bred out of existence by pharmaceuticals and additives in food? Lame.
  • Logan having difficulty popping his claws because of being sick? Not buying it. Its part of his bone structure.

2/6. Yeah he was healing more slowly, but not just because of the movie adamanium poisoning but because he was getting older... Which was weird. The movie is saying mutants as they get older their powers wanes. His claw getting stuck I think is because of his healing weakening and there was pus in the cavity for that claw.

3/4. Professor X is the reason why Logan is where he was and doing in the beginning of the movie. He was doing it FOR him... As for plot? I don't know if there was one but I saw it as the old generation helping the new generation get their start.

5. Bred out of existence by preventing any new mutants from being born? It plays into the fear that corporations are affecting us through foods and pharmaceutical, like birth control pills being dumped into our water supply! A bit irrational yeah...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #49 on: 17 April 2017, 11:55:34 »

Actually, Adamantium being toxic long-term has been a plot point repeatedly; typically whenever the X-Men get de-powered.  There was a story-arc in the 90s where Wolverine and Beast got arrested for contrived reasons and sent to a supervillain super-max; Wolverine had to get regular medical treatment for Adamantium poisoning until they got out.

Logan's age, in both the movie and the comic storyline it's based on, are supposed to have reached the point where his healing factor has significantly weakened so it no longer provides the protection it used to.[/list]
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 05 June 2017, 22:41:39 »
Given that she's the new Wolverine in the comics and Hugh Jackman's no longer going to be playing the role, I suspect that future X-Men movies will have X-23.

Well, with the way it ended they would HAVE to.  heck ALL our normal heroes will have to be replaced..

I saw it and it was dark and dirty. All the way up to the ending it was a great movie. Didn't like the ending. The girl was great.

That it certainly was..  completely the opposite of deadpool's campy comicness.

The pre-credits with the Deadpool preview was worth the non post credit footage.

Pity the dvd i got from the library had no previews on it..

Heartwrenching that's it! that's how I felt and still do now the morning after. As I said earlier it is really the End especially once you see what she did to the marker.

VERY cool symbology!!

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 05 June 2017, 22:46:51 »
Has anybody seen the "Logan Noir" cut yet? I want to, but haven't bought it on DVD yet.

Supposedly it's a complete remastering of the negative and not just slapping a B&W filter on the movie.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #52 on: 06 June 2017, 00:18:16 »
Has anybody seen the "Logan Noir" cut yet? I want to, but haven't bought it on DVD yet.

Supposedly it's a complete remastering of the negative and not just slapping a B&W filter on the movie.

Its out on DVD already? Blimey, and no didn't know about that cut.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 06 June 2017, 02:19:10 »
Its out on DVD already? Blimey, and no didn't know about that cut.

Well...at least it's available to buy digital, not actually sure if the physical DVDs are out or not.

And I missed it, but they even gave that cut a limited theatrical release as well...

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 06 June 2017, 02:39:33 »
DVD/BR disc are available. I saw them at the local grocer this past weekend.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 06 June 2017, 06:10:26 »
Yep it's out on DVD and still at the local "dollar" movie if you can find it.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 06 June 2017, 11:23:59 »
Damn, I haven't reviewed Logan?!

It was not perfect, especially plot-wise (and I've always hated the Old Man Logan premise), but it was more fun than quite a few of the more complicated X-Men movies... and what a swan song for Hugh Jackman!

I really hope young Ms Keen goes on to have a great acting career in future.

1) Adamantium being poisonous is a comic thing
2) Wolverine's healing factor getting weaker is also a comic thing
3) Yeah kinda. The title is really short for "Death Of Logan" to be perfectly honest.
4) The movie draws some parallels between the Prof X-Logan father-son relationship and the Logan-X23 father-daughter relationship. That's what Prof X is there for... also as the MacGuffin.
5) Yeah kinda.
6) Infected, swollen, weeping tissue would do that. And Logan having to heal himself every time he pops the claws has been established since literally the first X-Men movie.

VERY cool symbology!!
think you mean syyyymmmbolisssm...
/dafoe

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #57 on: 06 June 2017, 13:41:15 »

I had a problem with Professor X in this movie also. Why? Well he did get killed by Jean Gray (as Phoenix) in the movie X-Men: Last Stand  So... How come he is alive in this movie...  and series, again?

Yeah, a bit of soap opera "So what if they died already. We can bring them back as nobody will notice..." But with Super heroes.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #58 on: 06 June 2017, 14:06:45 »
I had a problem with Professor X in this movie also. Why? Well he did get killed by Jean Gray (as Phoenix) in the movie X-Men: Last Stand  So... How come he is alive in this movie...  and series, again?

Yeah, a bit of soap opera "So what if they died already. We can bring them back as nobody will notice..." But with Super heroes.

The thing is in the comics they can be quite self aware about that. As was shown here.

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #59 on: 06 June 2017, 14:28:52 »

you missed a couple of movies...and the foreshadowing in the Last Stand that points to how he is still alive in Logan.