Author Topic: What is happened with ComStar ???  (Read 4766 times)

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
    • Clan Snow Wolf - Homepage
What is happened with ComStar ???
« on: 04 March 2017, 06:21:06 »
1.) What exactly is happening with Comstar during and after the Jihand? (Including all Dark Age information)

2.) Are there any remains of ComStar that have survived? Where are they?

3.) Where can I find the most important events and statements in which pdf and books?

I have a few pieces of information but I am missing.
I need your help to capture the overall picture.
Already times a thank you to all who bring something light into the dark.

Frabby

• Major
Re: What is happened with ComStar ???
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2017, 08:16:03 »
Secular ComStar was a shadow of its former self after the Jihad, with most of its military might shattered in the fighting. They were disarmed after the Jihad in any case.

As far as I know, they lost the monopoly on HPG operation - the Republic of the Sphere could operate their HPGs themselves I believe.

In any case, the Blackout in 3132 broke ComStar's back. Their income and raison d'etre basically vanished overnight, and the desperate organisation threw everything at solving the problem, pretty much selling their assets to stay afloat and probably bankrupting themselves.
They failed in their attempt to repair the HPG grid or even to find out what exactly caused the Blackout. But in the process, they revealed the existence of an illegal Com Guards organisation that held on to the old ComStar tradition, with Blakist trappings. The Republic was decidedly not amused, and took a sledgehammer approach against a resurgent militant ComStar when they found their base on Epsilon Eridani in 3143. Check out Turning Points: Epsilon Eridani for ComStar's swan song.

After Epsilon Eridani, ComStar ceased to exist. (For all we know.)
« Last Edit: 04 March 2017, 08:18:15 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2017, 08:18:47 »
"May the Peace of Focht be with you." One of my fave line from the MWDA novels.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2017, 09:07:18 »
At the end of the Jihad, ComStar had the battered remains of three armies left. They were all absorbed by the republic of the sphere and formed abmajor part of their new army, along with troops from other various nations.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2017, 23:13:12 »
What happens to ComStar during the Fortress time also varies . . . because while we know what happened inside the Fortress no one outside the Fortress does know.  Outside the Fortress the business is dropping, they sold off some of their assets (like JS & properties), and were secretly selling shares to the Lyran throne . . . a scheme that backfired.

When 3145 or 50 rolls around all ComStar property inside what remains of the Lyran Commonwealth SHOULD be Lyran state property.  For all the good it will do Trillian.

IMO the really interesting bits with ComStar would be the periphery where they might end up being a pony express.

Finally . . . wonder if there were any ties between the resurgent ComGuard, hidden Blakist elements and the last Hidden 5- or deep periphery Blakist enclaves.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2017, 23:51:08 »
Well ever since Operation Scorpion the HPGs had already largely been state property of the LC DC and FS.. ComStar operated in those realms by leasing their former HPGs long before even the Jihad, much less the Dark Age.

But yeah Bonfire of Worlds told us that the Archon had been propping up ComStar... that heavy outpouring of capital for no return on investment has almost as much to do with Steiner's current foibles as do Clans Jade Falcon and Wolf.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2017, 23:56:06 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2017, 07:46:20 »
You will want to look at Jihad: Final Reckoning, Era Report 3145, Turning Points: Epsilon Eridani, and the Dark Age novels 'Target of Opportunity' and 'Bonfire of Worlds.'

But basically, ComStar is a dead entity as of 3145.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #7 on: 05 March 2017, 13:50:58 »
The interesting thing to note is while Comstar operated all the HPG's that there other ventures went missing or were lost. They were the bankers of the Inner Sphere, the MRBC was gone after the Dragoons replaced it, and they at one time operated the largest jumpship fleet in the Inner Sphere as well as controlling other assets as well like factorys, research labs, etc. But they took the blame after the Jihad and the Successor States stripped them of the Comguards and made sure what was left was a business. Always had a issue with the stripping them of the Comguards. The Comguards fought the WoB for years even before the Jihad started, fought and died through the Jihad and then when it was over they were summarily dismissed.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 05 March 2017, 21:07:47 »
First, the MRBC replaced ComStar's MRB.  Second, ComStar was more than willing to hand over the surviving ComGuards.  Aside from the post-Jihad public relations nightmare they had to deal with, they lacked the resources to rebuild both the shattered HPG network AND the ComGuards (whose combat strength had fallen to a fraction of its pre-Jihad, let alone pre-Tukayyid, levels).  Aside from their technological knowledge, they lack the financial resources, manpower, manufacturing facilities, training facilities, etc.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2017, 17:04:28 »
Didn't a large chunk of the comguards that survived the jihad get absorbed into the RotS military?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #10 on: 06 March 2017, 17:45:17 »
Didn't a large chunk of the comguards that survived the jihad get absorbed into the RotS military?

Yes. The First, Fifth, and Sixth armies. Which was pretty much everything that was left.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #11 on: 06 March 2017, 18:07:13 »
Always had a issue with the stripping them of the Comguards. The Comguards fought the WoB for years even before the Jihad started, fought and died through the Jihad and then when it was over they were summarily dismissed.

The poor treatment of the ComGuards (and ComStar for that matter) was one, if not the reason why they began rearming themselves in secret. Even though they are called "neo-Blakists" and "fanatics", their origins have absolutely nothing to do with the WoB.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2017, 05:40:18 »
But they took the blame after the Jihad and the Successor States stripped them of the Comguards and made sure what was left was a business. Always had a issue with the stripping them of the Comguards. The Comguards fought the WoB for years even before the Jihad started, fought and died through the Jihad and then when it was over they were summarily dismissed.

To be fair, after the Jihad, nobody trusted Comstar. The whole organisation had been compromised by the Word at every level. The ComGuard had been riddled with Word agents and defectors. And the Word had gotten their start thanks to the efforts of Comstar through such things as the Hidden Worlds. A lot of Comstar's dirt came to light after the Jihad, and it was not pretty.

The Successor States wanted to completely dismantle Comstar. Stripping it of the ComGuards and reforming it into a secular corporate entity was a complmise by Devlin Stone and was the only option that even kept the organisation intact. Even then, nobody was going to let the ComGuard remain operational. Not even Stone was willing to give them that much trust. Added to that, the ComGuards were down to three badly depleted armies, which were barely viable in and of themslves.

This all turned out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. After the Jihad, ComStar secretly sheltered a lot of Blakeists, hiding them from the Republic and everyone else.

Disarming the ComGuards and moving them into the RAF was a logical move. I suspect that Stone disarming them was a partt of the compromise that kept the organisation alive.

Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2017, 17:54:37 »
I read somewhere some Com Guards have survived and assembled (this must be the Rest of the three Armys)
and i read some surviving Com Guards enter the Republic of Sphere (some not all)
It was clear that many get killen in the Jihad.

But some one told me they all get killed, but that wonders me, Com Star was not only the Military Arm "Com Gards" for the HPG Network sure many civilians are need.

I like it that the RAF took the Rest of ComStar (so they can still Protect Terra) in to the Republic as part of them and i sure belive they have protect some Wobys (not all are bad guys, just miss guided) and give them a new changse.
Sure some ExComStar workers and knights are still working on HPG for the Republic (to the Blackout I mean!).

Give it some storys of WoB survivors? (the most Units are destroyed too)
« Last Edit: 09 March 2017, 17:56:32 by Doy »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2017, 18:41:47 »
Jihad Final Reckoning has the surviving WoB and WarShip

I'm guessing by 3145 all the Manei Domini have gone nuts and killed each other

The WarShips either dead collateral damage from the above fight or out of fuel and dead in the periphery

Given the current hate on WarShips and with regular ComStar dead I don't think the WoB will return
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #15 on: 09 March 2017, 20:46:17 »
Jihad Final Reckoning has the surviving WoB and WarShip

I'm guessing by 3145 all the Manei Domini have gone nuts and killed each other

The WarShips either dead collateral damage from the above fight or out of fuel and dead in the periphery

Given the current hate on WarShips and with regular ComStar dead I don't think the WoB will return

As far as the MD go, I'm accepting as my personal head canon (at least, until something official comes out) what Ben Rome put up on his blog about his original story ideas.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #16 on: 10 March 2017, 16:14:31 »
I'm pretty sure I read that can't remember

The MD were a faction I liked and disliked in nearly equal measure eventually which was weird since most i either like or dislike
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #17 on: 10 March 2017, 16:23:31 »
The MD were designed to be the NPC bad-guy. They got some cheesy breaks, and potentially crippling flaws in equal measure - they had to be bad, but not unbeatable. You weren't meant to play MD characters, you were meant to be paranoid about how to kill them.

In many ways reminds me how the Clans were presented initially, way back when, before Lyran lapdogs, care bears, and temper-tantie Mongols were in the picture ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #18 on: 10 March 2017, 17:07:15 »
Disarming the ComGuards and moving them into the RAF was a logical move. I suspect that Stone disarming them was a partt of the compromise that kept the organisation alive.

The initiative to formally disarm ComStar was ComStar's own. What motivated Dow's decision is largely unknown, though it is indeed a good guess that this decision helped saving ComStar. Any other course of action might have produced needless tension.
However the distrust and disrespect the former ComGuards had to endure not only fueled the rearmament in secret, but it was also largely unfair given that they had nothing to do with ComStar's dark deeds of the past, which happened centuries before they were even born, and that most of them had given their lives to defeat just that evil part of ComStar.

Who knows? I doubt that the five WarShips are just drifting in space; I'd think they are hidden and mothballed as far as possible. Also the Mechs and materiel of the eleven surviving divisions might still be available. That may not be enough to topple a major power but it certainly enough not to be ignored. And it is enough for a Deep Periphery dominion, especially now that the HPG grid is largely offline.
I would not want a big return of the comically evil WoB anyway, but I can surely imagine some small holdout where the old guard sits and waits, desperately wanting to believe in Blake's plan.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #19 on: 11 March 2017, 01:12:18 »
What motivated Dow's decision is largely unknown.

Ignoring the demilitarization of the universe, expense of rebuilding and general distrust of armed ComStar, IMO mostly likely that the Com Guards had more loyalty to Victor than Dow and letting them go was the quickest way to remove them and secure his power base.

ajcbm

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 11 March 2017, 09:38:15 »
Pretty much what to expect with Victor in charge.

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
« Reply #21 on: 11 March 2017, 13:38:11 »
I belive this With Victor to (Com Guard should be integrated as RAF Forces called "Terran Guards" .

Guys for my understanding what you mean with DOW ?  :o

I read "Turning Points Epsilon Eridani"
i understand it this way:
Comspar is Disarmed and hat later loste the HPG Network and the entire trust oof the Factions of the I.S thanks WoB actions.
Saecretlich build Malcolm Buhl the ComGuards new but the most get destoryed by RAF but the Blessed Order and other Members ar still alive and Hide even in the Fortress.
also a futur come back of ComGards is posible.
by WoB we know it exist some Shadow Divition Forces but damaged and they are hiding or on the run.

I will love to see the Com Guard as noble knights in the republic but in fact the RaF is a good replacement.

@ Jaim Magnus: thanks for the List it was very helpful  O0

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #22 on: 11 March 2017, 17:49:18 »
Dow wanted to be in charge, he always wanted to be in charge. Victor was a major power even if he was disliked as he was Focht's chosen successor. Getting rid of the Comguards got rid of Victor. If the Comguards had become a new formation like the Terran Guards as previously mentioned might have been easier to swallow I think rather than dismissing them and spreading them out over many other formations.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 11 March 2017, 23:53:29 »
If the Comguards had become a new formation like the Terran Guards as previously mentioned might have been easier to swallow I think rather than dismissing them and spreading them out over many other formations.

Uh no. 

First, the Republic (aka Stone) couldn't allow such a large force to remain together.  Conspiracy theorists and the Capellans would charge Stone and the Republic with being a WoB plot (which the Capellans did anyways but having them remain together would give them more fuel for their argument).

Second, how would the Republic justify keeping the ComGuards together while forcing everybody else to split up?

Third, if you allow everybody to remain in their old units it makes eliminating their former loyalties, prejudices, etc all the more harder.  Ex.  if a Republic planet is invaded, how well would a former AFFS unit and a former DCMS unit be able to work together?  Another example simply replace former Clan Wolf unit and former Clan Jade Falcon unit.  How hard would one unit fight to save a former rival?  Even simply posting them to the same world could cause problems exercises could easily degenerate into full-blown battles (Just look at the pre-Jihad exercises between the Ducal Guards and the 1st Oriente Hussars where they caused 132 million of M-Bills in damage and destroyed two live-fire ranges in a single exercise.)  Then there is the problem with replacing losses.  A recruit from a former DC world/unit would likely have trouble fitting into a former AFFS unit (and vice versa).  Clan units would have trouble accepting recruits who don't meet their standards (not to mention freeborn prejudices among many Clan warriors).  Northwind Highlanders would have trouble accepting anybody who doesn't have ties to Northwind.

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 12 March 2017, 00:06:42 »
Uh no. 

First, the Republic (aka Stone) couldn't allow such a large force to remain together.  Conspiracy theorists and the Capellans would charge Stone and the Republic with being a WoB plot (which the Capellans did anyways but having them remain together would give them more fuel for their argument).

Second, how would the Republic justify keeping the ComGuards together while forcing everybody else to split up?

Third, if you allow everybody to remain in their old units it makes eliminating their former loyalties, prejudices, etc all the more harder.  Ex.  if a Republic planet is invaded, how well would a former AFFS unit and a former DCMS unit be able to work together?  Another example simply replace former Clan Wolf unit and former Clan Jade Falcon unit.  How hard would one unit fight to save a former rival?  Even simply posting them to the same world could cause problems exercises could easily degenerate into full-blown battles (Just look at the pre-Jihad exercises between the Ducal Guards and the 1st Oriente Hussars where they caused 132 million of M-Bills in damage and destroyed two live-fire ranges in a single exercise.)  Then there is the problem with replacing losses.  A recruit from a former DC world/unit would likely have trouble fitting into a former AFFS unit (and vice versa).  Clan units would have trouble accepting recruits who don't meet their standards (not to mention freeborn prejudices among many Clan warriors).  Northwind Highlanders would have trouble accepting anybody who doesn't have ties to Northwind.

Interesting analysis.    Weren't there indications that some Clans refused to take captured members of certain other Clans as bondsman and either simply released them or killed them because they could never fit in and were more trouble than they were worth?

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 12 March 2017, 01:39:23 »
Yup.  Clan Wolf refused Clan Fire Mandrill challenges during the Harvest Wars because they were too much trouble.  Additionally some Clans limited the advancement of adopted warriors especially when they were part of a Clan their Clan had a long-standing feud with or their political views clashed with their new Clan's (liberal v. conservative, Crusader v. Warden, pro-freeborn v. anti-freeborn, etc).

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #26 on: 12 March 2017, 17:05:33 »
Ignoring the demilitarization of the universe, expense of rebuilding and general distrust of armed ComStar, IMO mostly likely that the Com Guards had more loyalty to Victor than Dow and letting them go was the quickest way to remove them and secure his power base.

That is perfectly possible, though I would not take loyalty to Victor for granted. It is true that he could inspire the loyalty of those close to him, however at the same time he was apparently easy to dislike if one didn't knew him personally. After all, people still believed he killed his mother when the Jihad ended (and, ironically, held that fact against ComStar: what organization would put a matricide in command?).

I don't think the ComGuards were Victor's best friends. When he was appointed Precentor Martial, they were rather unhappy. The fact that he ruined three divisions in what they must have considered his private venture - the FCCW - certainly did not help to improve his standing. The same is probably true for the fiasco of Case White.
Perhaps Victor rebuild some trust and even loyalty during the Jihad. But it is also possible that the ComGuards continued to hold a grudge against him.

For Dow, the loyalty of the ComGuards could have been a secondary concern either way. He certainly wanted to get rid of Victor, and disarming was the quickest way to do so.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 13 March 2017, 00:22:43 »
In order to prove himself a capable leader of ComStar Dow ordered Case White to move ahead against Victor's advice.  After that disaster and his lackluster leadership he wouldn't trust the ComGuard's loyalty to him.  After all Dow viewed Victor as his greatest rival for leadership of ComStar before the Jihad despite having no indications that Victor sought the Primacy or that the First Circuit would even allow him to advance any further (he did lose control of his own realm which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement ;)).

Register