Author Topic: Which mech do you give DHS?  (Read 4439 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Which mech do you give DHS?
« on: 06 March 2017, 13:54:50 »
You (Rebels) have captured/salvaged enough DHS/time to refit one 3025 mech with DHS from the SHS it originally came equipped with do you upgrade . . .

Archer 2R, which is the command mech for the whole rebel militia

Thunderbolt 5S, lancemate to the Archer and potentially the most powerful SHS mech

Phoenix Hawk 1, several are in your forces but you can upgrade one which might cause some confusion

Chameleon 7V, lots of weapons, especially for a brawl, but lacks the HS ability to use them
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
Re: Which mech do you give DHS?
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2017, 15:14:16 »
Lots of factors.  Perhaps biggest one is pilots; if you've got one real sharp shooter, make sure they can shoot as often as possible.  Or, if you can optimize the T-Bolt a little bit, give it some extra weapons to make full advantage of the DHS, then that might make a difference. 

I'm tempted to say the P-Hawk, because I tend to lean heavily on the jets when I drive them so its a mech that would use DHS and still not be really oversinked.  Plus, I just really like that style of mech, and the idea that one of several is going to be the really nasty one offers an interesting twist.  But, I'd only do it if I had a really good P-Hawk pilot who was want to jump often and still hit often who could really push the mech.  If you're doing a more comprehensive upgrade, I suppose the Chameleon is very P-Hawky and if you could get some extra armor on it that wouldn't go a miss, but if not, I wouldn't.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2017, 15:46:31 »
I think one of the P-hawks would be my choice. Being able to jump AND fire all the lasers every turn would be a pretty huge compared to what most intro-tech can do. The jumpy-hawk has the ability to stack on enough mods to make your opponent more likely ignore it because it is so much harder to land shots on with it's jump of 6. That ought to help keep it alive and paying back its investment.

The Thud, while it could fire all its weapons every turn, doesn't feel like it is gaining as much to me. If you have a target at short range, you could add in the large laser, but would you shoot the LRM's at them? Probably not. You could fling some at a secondary target, but staying in a good position to do that with a 4/6/0 mech is going to be a serious challenge. Also, this is likely to make the thud (which still has plenty of non-CASE ammo bins) an obvious priority target. It just feels like all you are getting is the ability to consistently add the large laser at short range, and maybe take more low-probability shots with the mediums.

The Archer already has a pretty good firing cycle for long-range, and once you run out of ammo, those extra sinks aren't going to be doing much. Sure, you could fire the rear lasers more, but they are still rear-mounted and terrible! You could also now LRM non-stop instead of needing to drop out a launcher every two turns, and still fire your arm lasers as well. Unfortunately, That would mean you are likely splitting targets again or firing at one target at a non-optimal range. I'm not in love with either option, even though it would be possible.

My choice would be the P-Hawk. Failing that, I'd probably throw doubles on the T-Bolt before the Archer, but I do admit that one of the Archer's big problems is emptying it's ammo bins before someone manages to shoot one of them, and doubles would help with that.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2017, 15:48:06 »
Other than the Chameleon, none of those mechs really has heat problems to Begin with. The Chameleon can control heat through judicious use of weapons.

The Archer is going to be in Back, hopefully on a hill hidden in trees, using spotting from the PXH-1's.

The Thud is going to be hitting with LRMS as well as it's Large Laser from Mid-Long Range, until out of LRM Ammo, then it wades in with the Large, 3 Medium Lasers and SRM's (hopefully loaded with Infernos, it's 3025, almost every mech has Heat Issues)

The Chameleon, is your rover, all be it one with limited Armor, Keep it at Medium Range and move 9 every round and plink away with the with whatever combinations of weapons gets you the most damage for least Heat.

The PXH-1's are just going to be jumping all over the place taking shots with their Large Laser, and spotting for LRMS, and only alpha striking if they can get behind someone.

The one thing I would do is swap MGs and their ammo Bombs for Flamers and/or Small Lasers.

Now Something Like a Maruader, Ostsol, or Ostroc would really benefit from DHS in 3025, so would a Crusader.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2017, 21:28:07 »
The Thud has good heat management already so I'd skip that one right off the bat. The P-hawk or Chameleon have similar battlefield rolls , spot, harass , or bug hunt . Skip them because they have the ability to keep a high target mod even when running hot .

I think I'd go with the Archer. This opens up more options than hide and fire indirectly. You can now fire while on the run, fire two of your lasers, missiles and run. Or even alpha strike with out slowing down to a crawl. Stick your best gunner here to maximum benefit.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2017, 09:03:11 »
As much as I love the Thud, if the best pilot I got is in a P-Hawk, then I would probably go with that (as Iron Mongoose described)

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2017, 12:19:15 »
I think putting them on a Phoenix Hawk is wasted, unless that pilot is also your best gunner by far.  What good is it to be able to fire more weapons if you are penalizing yourself so much with jumping?  You still will have terrible to-hit numbers no matter how many weapons you are firing.

The Archer actually gains the most, since it is already overheating just by standing there and firing the LRMs.  Everything else can generally move and use its effective weapon(s), but the Archer can't.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2017, 12:19:48 »
In general I'd agree with upgrading the PHX, but I think you can make a good case for upgrading the Thud too.

With the Thud you can shed some of the weight invested heat sinks to bulk up the weaponry without any risk of overheat.  For example, by dropping two sinks and fitting DHS, you could upgrade the SRM to a six pack and still have enough heat capacity to cover all of the weapons simultaneously.  A Thud so fitted could dominate mechs significantly bigger than it by just blazing away with everything but the LRM at short range and staying completely cool.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2017, 15:22:51 »
I'd lean towards the Chameleon but the Thunderbolt would gain a lot of crit padding in addition to a bit more use of its firepower.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2017, 17:10:56 »
I think I will go with the TBolt, it seems to get the most votes . . . especially when I was gathering up the lists I found a spare ERLL from a scrapped Lineholder 3.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2017, 17:22:42 »
In general I'd agree with upgrading the PHX, but I think you can make a good case for upgrading the Thud too.

With the Thud you can shed some of the weight invested heat sinks to bulk up the weaponry without any risk of overheat.  For example, by dropping two sinks and fitting DHS, you could upgrade the SRM to a six pack and still have enough heat capacity to cover all of the weapons simultaneously.  A Thud so fitted could dominate mechs significantly bigger than it by just blazing away with everything but the LRM at short range and staying completely cool.

yep,
except I would pull 2 and add 2 mediums its more of a heat load but far outpaces the SRMs for 2 tons
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 09 March 2017, 21:58:27 »
If it was the Kurita version Archer (which has large lasers), I would go for it in a heart beat...but as it is for what you've said, I agree that you should go Thunderbolt...gives you lots of options, including reducing total number of sinks to add more stuff without increasing heat problems significantly (although I'd be tempted to keep things simple...drop to 10 DHS's, upgrade large laser to PPC, SRM-2 to SRM-6, and either add a flamer or another medium laser...kind of mix of standard T-Bolt and Steiner version).

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 09 March 2017, 22:13:12 »
I just swapped in the ERLL, lost half a ton of MG ammo, dropped a heat sink and put on 3 RL10s to keep it all sort of simple.  Especially works since I use burst fire MGs.
Colt Ward

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #13 on: 10 March 2017, 00:03:50 »
The Chameleon would make maximum use of them. It would move like the Phoenix Hawk, and at close range punch like the Thunderbolt.
I have spoken.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 10 March 2017, 03:10:04 »
My first thought is use them on an Awesome so that you can give it 4 PPC's and have them fire continuously, but that runs into crit problems.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #15 on: 10 March 2017, 03:45:35 »
no . . . Awesome . . . listed?
Colt Ward

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 10 March 2017, 09:10:44 »
My first thought is use them on an Awesome so that you can give it 4 PPC's and have them fire continuously, but that runs into crit problems.

A McKenna would have a bit more firepower....

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 10 March 2017, 17:10:14 »
A McKenna would have a bit more firepower....

Does the Deathstar come with doubles? I keep forgetting.

deathfrombeyond

• Lieutenant
  • The fuel that powers the Successor States
« Reply #18 on: 10 March 2017, 19:51:27 »
If the Archer really is a command 'Mech, I wouldn't put the DHS on it, because the DHS would be wasted on a 'Mech that shouldn't be fighting that much.
If House Kurita is a punching bag, at least it's the weeble-wobble type that punches back. House Liao's like a speed bag that just hangs there and takes it. - Neko Bijin

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #19 on: 10 March 2017, 20:46:35 »
I think that the Archer could use them the most efficiently.  The P-Hawk and Chameleon would be close runners up even though doing so would enable either to be less conservative with their weapons fire.

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 12 March 2017, 14:51:54 »
Wouldn't the Awesome benefit from double heat sinks the most?    It seems the ability to basically continously fire the three PPCs without worries about heat shutdown would be a major tactical advantage?

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #21 on: 12 March 2017, 15:50:53 »
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #22 on: 12 March 2017, 21:32:54 »
Wouldn't the Awesome benefit from double heat sinks the most?    It seems the ability to basically continously fire the three PPCs without worries about heat shutdown would be a major tactical advantage?

Yes! 

IF THEY HAD AN AWESOME TO PUT THEM ON.  BUT THEY DON'T.   ;D
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 13 March 2017, 01:31:47 »

Not as much as the McKenna.

CJKeys

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Defend this house!
« Reply #24 on: 09 April 2017, 23:20:46 »
Does the Deathstar come with doubles? I keep forgetting.

Laser Heat Sinks iirc......

couldn't help myself
"Now sit down, shut up, and let us Davions do what we do best: kill people we think aren't free enough." - Reaver

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #25 on: 22 April 2017, 12:33:49 »
Not as much as the McKenna.

The answer is ALWAYS the McKenna.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #26 on: 22 April 2017, 15:22:29 »
Archer 2R, which is the command mech for the whole rebel militia

Thunderbolt 5S, lancemate to the Archer and potentially the most powerful SHS mech

Phoenix Hawk 1, several are in your forces but you can upgrade one which might cause some confusion

Chameleon 7V, lots of weapons, especially for a brawl, but lacks the HS ability to use them

1.  My 1st question would be is it JUST the HS that are being upgraded or can you do added modifications.

2.  It appears from your later post you can do added mods & have already made your choice.

3.  Knowing you could do some basic mods, I would have gone Chameleon as my 1st choice.

4.  Pixie is #2 (confusion works both ways, they don't know which one is the super-Hawk), Thud #3, & Archer last.  The Commander has plenty of time to Move & Shoot 1 LRM or Park & shoot them both for heat management.  Running & Shooting both all day just leads to no ammo very quickly.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #27 on: 22 April 2017, 16:33:32 »
Well, on the old 3025 mechs I generally drop a half ton of MG on principle.  When it was decided the TBolt got the upgrade to DHS I looked through the rebels materials list and found they had salvaged a ERLL that had not gone anywhere . . . straight upgrade.  The 3 RL10s were slapped on to use the remaining space, I like to use RLs when such changes occur rather than drastic overhauls of weapons or placements.
Colt Ward

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #28 on: 26 April 2017, 23:43:35 »
Well, on the old 3025 mechs I generally drop a half ton of MG on principle. 
Heck, I just go into combat with only 10 rounds of MG ammo since I'm never going to use it & maybe I'll survive an ammo explosion that way  ;)

When it was decided the TBolt got the upgrade to DHS I looked through the rebels materials list and found they had salvaged a ERLL that had not gone anywhere . . . straight upgrade.  The 3 RL10s were slapped on to use the remaining space, I like to use RLs when such changes occur rather than drastic overhauls of weapons or placements.
I'd have gone Chameleon & drop some of the SL/MG for more armor.  (As well as that ER)
Though the Thud was also a solid choice don't get me wrong.
I just noticed you said 5S, for some reason when I first read it I thought it was the 5SS & I was wondering why you could drop the PPC, but nvm, I was confused there.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo