Author Topic: Are the Bug Eyes part of the Regular Star League Navy?  (Read 1831 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Are the Bug Eyes part of the Regular Star League Navy?
« on: 15 March 2017, 07:05:38 »
I've been wondering how the Bug Eyes were assigned, administratively, during the Star League era.  The Star League sourcebook says that the Star League Intelligence Command used special JumpShips disguised as freighters to covertly retrieve data from automated listening posts.  The question is, were those ships operated directly by SLIC as a "hidden fleet," or were they incorporated into/attached to each SLDF fleet's Reconnaissance Squadrons (which - per FM:SLDF - usually consist of corvettes and destroyers)? 

Also, was the Bug Eye's "Light PPC" (from TRO: 2750) a Light Naval PPC, or just a standard PPC?  HMAero lists it as an LNPPC, but the BattleSpace stat-bloc lists it as a standard PPC.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: Are the Bug Eyes part of the Regular Star League Navy?
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2017, 13:44:34 »
No conclusive answers. That said,

The question is, were those ships operated directly by SLIC as a "hidden fleet,"
Most likely.

HMAero lists it as an LNPPC, but the BattleSpace stat-bloc lists it as a standard PPC.
Again, no official answer--HMAero stats cannot be considered canon, and the BattleSpace stat blocs likewise had errors. Until we have a more recent publication, it comes down to best-guess. The former seems more likely.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2017, 14:14:13 »
Aha!
The Bug Eye was republished recently, in ISP3: Interstellar Expeditions. :)
And the PPC, as I suspected (or remembered), is in fact the standard non-capital.
Thank you Weirdo.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2017, 14:48:52 »
Thanks.  I had images for a bit of SLIC Bug Eyes hanging in orbit watching a suspect on the surface, then using the LNPPC to splatter the target's safe house once they arrived, Damocles style.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Register