Author Topic: Inner Sphere Mechs looking like clanners  (Read 1982 times)

Durnaxe

• Recruit
Inner Sphere Mechs looking like clanners
« on: 24 March 2017, 23:33:23 »
So I've been playing a battletech campaign for two years now and I've gotten a little more hardcore into the game (I fell in love with LAMs, super heavies, and quadvees) thanks to MWO and the new battletech game for PC coming soon.
Well MWO has a King Crab piloted by Ivo Greenburg coming up soon and that's when I learned about the merc unit, Greenburg's Godzillas.

After yelling at my game master for not letting me know about such a merc group existed, of which he didn't even know about, I decided to make the whole regiment. Because I am a giant nerd for anything Godzilla.

ANYWAY, I liked the idea of modifying inner sphere mechs to make them look like clan mechs but with my relative "noobish"ness I was wondering about any ideas of Inner Sphere mechs that could either be made to look like clan mechs or could be mistaken for clan mechs. I've got a couple lined up, catapult that looks like a madcat, thunderbolt possibly be made to look like a Thor, bushwacker looking like a dragonfly, and of course the Rakshasa. I'd like to do a company of mechs like this so any help would be appreciated.
"We cannot join. We cannot rest. Our lives, our souls, endure. We have been Returned".

Archangel

• Major
Re: Inner Sphere Mechs looking like clanners
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2017, 03:10:27 »
Are you thinking about including front-line 'Mechs or second-line 'Mechs as well?  You have several second-line 'Mechs that are merely Star League era 'Mechs upgraded with Clan-tech, such as the Orion IIC or the Highlander IIC.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2017, 07:55:51 »
The Inner Sphere tried to make a Mad Cat, it's called the Rakshasa.

They have done it with a couple early IS Omni designs as well, with the Avatar taking cues from the Vulture, and the Sunder looking like Lokis, Thors, and every other upright Clan Omni they'd put out to that point.  :)
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2017, 09:01:14 »
Here are a few that could help.
Anzu = Thor
Stiletto = Fire Falcon
Wyvern + Wyvern IIC
Commando = Commando IIC
Clint = Clint IIC
Marauder (unseen/Classic) = Marauder IIC
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Durnaxe

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2017, 14:43:18 »
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.
Archangel: Basically anything that looks "clannish" with some kit bashing.

Mattlov: I already have the Rakshasa in my list, as well as a company of IS non-wobbie omni's.

Saint: Thanks, didn't know the stiletto existed and that's perfect for what I am trying to do.

If it helps this is kinda the reference I am using http://camospecs.com/Miniature/Details/3848/catapult-cplt-c4 since due to lore they took on Jade Falcon with mechs disguised as "frontline" Steel Vipers.
"We cannot join. We cannot rest. Our lives, our souls, endure. We have been Returned".

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2017, 15:42:48 »
A couple of clan mechs, the Crossbow and Galahad, seem to be based on Star League-era designs by the same names (the IS versions are in TRO 3075).  The Battle Cobra goes the other way, with ComStar making an IS-tech clone of the clan machine.  The Black Hawk KU is likewise an IS clone of a clan machine.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2017, 18:05:59 »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 31 March 2017, 14:46:09 »
Iirc there was mention in a novel of king crabs being vismodded to resemble Direwolves.

I could see marauders being given fake missile boxes to look madcat like (and catapults getting fake arms)
The warhammer could probably pass as a Loki.

Many of the classic star league mecha (highlander, guillotine, etc) have SLDF surplus and IIC models in use by the clans, so just need a paint job. The Jenner and commando same with the IIC versions

Register