Author Topic: If you could add one thing from another Sci-Fi universe what would it be?  (Read 15639 times)

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
As the title says, If you could add one thing.. ANYTHING from another Sci-fi universe what would it be? Why would you add it and how do you see it impacting the BT universe?

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
The God-Emperor of Mankind.  The 'Mech regiments we know and love become the Collegia Titanicus, the Word of Blake becomes the Adeptus Mechanicus, Elementals are the Thunder Warriors who are used as the blue prints for the Space Marine Legions, etc.

. . . just kidding!   O:-)  Honestly, the only thing I ever wanted was more WarShips, not fewer, but I'll take whatever BattleTech I can get.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
Artificial gravity. So hard to get consistent writing about gravity and thrust, etc, etc on space ships.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
A clearer explanation of FTL travel that is at least self-consistent.

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
The God-Emperor of Mankind.  The 'Mech regiments we know and love become the Collegia Titanicus, the Word of Blake becomes the Adeptus Mechanicus, Elementals are the Thunder Warriors who are used as the blue prints for the Space Marine Legions, etc.

There was me thinking BT was the history of humanity before the coming of the Emperor anyway :-p

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
A clearer explanation of FTL travel that is at least self-consistent.
As scifi works go, BT has actually pretty consistent and clear FTL system. Very much so actually, something like Star Wars that has been around even longer has really vague hyperdrive system.

EDIT If your complaint is about writing, FTL explanation is actually pretty consistent usually as well, though there are some mistakes occasionally.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2017, 12:33:39 by Empyrus »

Kidd

• Major
Gundam particles/waves (different names in different AU)

Solves magic armour, exceedingly short range weapons and artificial gravity in 1 swoop

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Artificial gravity is underutilized in scifi. If you can manipulate gravity, you can do a lot with it, from manufacturing (eg conveyor lines) to weapons (relativistic weapons, earthquake bombs, whatever else) to simply construction (floating buildings, or just gravity as walls and roofs) to stellar engineering.
And force fields, if the gravity gradient can be sharply defined and direction limited. Which in turn provides both ultimate laser defenses and invisibility while at it (just bend light around whatever you want to conceal).

There are very good reasons not to have artificial gravity in the first place.

Kidd

• Major
Artificial gravity is underutilized in scifi. If you can manipulate gravity, you can do a lot with it, from manufacturing (eg conveyor lines) to weapons (relativistic weapons, earthquake bombs, whatever else) to simply construction (floating buildings, or just gravity as walls and roofs) to stellar engineering.
And force fields, if the gravity gradient can be sharply defined and direction limited. Which in turn provides both ultimate laser defenses and invisibility while at it (just bend light around whatever you want to conceal).

There are very good reasons not to have artificial gravity in the first place.
Schlock Mercenary webcomic has a pretty well thought out arsenal of applications for "gravy" - from handheld grasers to primary short range weapons of capital warships.

BT could keep gravitic science "just" unexplained enough that they can only form ship/habitat artificial gravity to 0.5G or something... much like K-F tech is practically limited to 30LY jumps, FTL comms via HPG, etc.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
BT could keep gravitic science "just" unexplained enough that they can only form ship/habitat artificial gravity to 0.5G or something... much like K-F tech is practically limited to 30LY jumps, FTL comms via HPG, etc.

Me, i find the limits of BT's FTL tech somewhat mind boggling already since they're not simple "don't have enough power available" issues. It doesn't help Super Jumps and Super HPGs reach far, far greater distances, so normal limits become even odder in light of these.

Artificial gravity with arbitrary limits would be far, far worse, IMO. I can come up with semi-plausible explanations of the FTL stuff but i can't think of any ideas for artificial gravity that don't boil down to "exponential energy requirements" (if energy requirements are too high, i'll just use rotation for pseudo-gravity which is nearly free with fly wheels).

If writes can't keep descriptions in line with each other, that is their issue. Adding tech wouldn't be a real solution.

In any case, there is little need for artificial gravity in BTU. Doesn't really add anything to the world, only takes away its hard scifi aesthetic.

EDIT To clarify, exponential energy requirements is sensible but it also makes the tech either useless (ie adding it was pointless) or someone simply pays the energy anyway (and can do miracles compared to others). BattleTech is not really an energy-limited scifi universe, BTU peoples' general idiocy just prevents them from exploiting things properly.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2017, 13:57:55 by Empyrus »

Kidd

• Major
Me, i find the limits of BT's FTL tech somewhat mind boggling already since they're not simple "don't have enough power available" issues. It doesn't help Super Jumps and Super HPGs reach far, far greater distances, so normal limits become even odder in light of these.

Artificial gravity with arbitrary limits would be far, far worse, IMO. I can come up with semi-plausible explanations of the FTL stuff but i can't think of any ideas for artificial gravity that don't boil down to "exponential energy requirements" (if energy requirements are too high, i'll just use rotation for pseudo-gravity which is nearly free with fly wheels).

If writes can't keep descriptions in line with each other, that is their issue. Adding tech wouldn't be a real solution.

In any case, there is little need for artificial gravity in BTU. Doesn't really add anything to the world, only takes away its hard scifi aesthetic.
K-F and hard scifi do NOT belong in the same paragraph... How realistic is it TBH that K-F and HPG tech have remained essentially static for what, about a millenia? and the extremely slow rate of BT technological development... but I'm dropping it, I rather like the BTU the way it is.

BTU peoples' general idiocy just prevents them from exploiting things properly.
I for one don't see BT people being exceptionally stupider than normal; for all the technological and philosophical development of mankind, war, poverty and hunger issues remain humongous problems; why should BT people be any more (ir)rational than us in the ethical deployment of resources...? And people bringing up Sheeple Effect should remember a certain country has just brought in a very unpopular government and no major armed uprisings yet... and that's enough allusions to references I think  8)

but I digress... carry on...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
As scifi works go, BT has actually pretty consistent and clear FTL system. Very much so actually, something like Star Wars that has been around even longer has really vague hyperdrive system.

EDIT If your complaint is about writing, FTL explanation is actually pretty consistent usually as well, though there are some mistakes occasionally.
The way it was written confused a lot of people with regard to Lagrange points.  Simply stating a maximum gravitational field that would support a jump would have been simpler and more consistent (since the proximity limits don't track stellar mass very well).  Also, the whole "stationary with regard to the target on arrival" thing is hard to reconcile.  It would make more sense to have to velocity match the target prior to jumping.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
K-F and hard scifi do NOT belong in the same paragraph... How realistic is it TBH that K-F and HPG tech have remained essentially static for what, about a millenia? and the extremely slow rate of BT technological development... but I'm dropping it, I rather like the BTU the way it is.
I said "hard scifi aesthetic". I'm very careful about that when it comes to BT. I never call BT hard scifi only, for it is not. But it very much maintains an illusion and trappings of realism at some level, one reason i really like BT even though i'm not a big fan of soft science fiction in general some exceptions aside (and care even less for mecha usually).
And i think artificial gravity would be a gross violation of this aesthetic.

And there exists scifi that can be called hard while still having FTL, as long as they're otherwise hard, though admittedly this is uncommon. FTL is largely a necessity for space opera (though there are exceptions). FTL in harder scifi is usually jump-type (often based on wormholes) because it is easier to work with than free FTL flight like Star Trek or Star Wars has.

The way it was written confused a lot of people with regard to Lagrange points.  Simply stating a maximum gravitational field that would support a jump would have been simpler and more consistent (since the proximity limits don't track stellar mass very well).  Also, the whole "stationary with regard to the target on arrival" thing is hard to reconcile.  It would make more sense to have to velocity match the target prior to jumping.

If jumps were limited by gravitational field strength, then pirate points would be impossible. (Consider LEO, which has something like 97% gravity field compared to surface of Earth, freefall is not quite the same as zero-g.) Any pirate point usually used would be well within local stars gravity field and therefore

That stationary on arrival is kinda odd, but it prevents relativistic jump weapons... Though i wonder if this is the reason it has been decided to work like that.
BT ships have enough reaction mass and engine power to accelerate to significant percent of lightspeed in short time, follow that with a jump carefully aimed to the target planet... And i think these can be made unmanned and work with BT tech even though CASPAR systems didn't play nice with FTL for some arbitrary reason. If not, i'll just find suitably fanatical people, shouldn't be an issue with huge populations.
Of course, as it is, this is easy enough to work around as it is: I jump far away from the target planet (say, 100 AU) and deploy a DropShip with sufficient reaction mass and acceleration...

EDIT If velocity needed to be matched before jump, some jumps would likely be impossible, or at least require massive amounts of reaction mass. Star velocities and vectors can be quite different after all.
For designers and writers, not needing to take this into account is likely far easier.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2017, 15:30:12 by Empyrus »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
*snip*
If jumps were limited by gravitational field strength, then pirate points would be impossible. (Consider LEO, which has something like 97% gravity field compared to surface of Earth, freefall is not quite the same as zero-g.) Any pirate point usually used would be well within local stars gravity field and therefore [?]
*snip*

The field strength I calculated back in college was very low, and was matched to the proximity limit for a G2 star (I'd been hoping it would prove consistent for the other spectral types; it does not).  Pirate points would still be possible, but yes, the star's gravitational field would dominate in the habitable zones.  This isn't very different from how it is now, but wouldn't rely on hoping some arbitrary numbers placed in a table are consistent with one another.

EDIT: Missing word.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2017, 16:18:23 by Daryk »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
honestly this is a tougher question than i thought, because a lot of stuff from Scifi would drastically change the stuff that makes battletech so good.

my answer would probably be "more sublight colonization"

with battletech's 'magically efficient' fusion drives appearing so early, there should have been more interstellar trips and colonization going on prior to the advent of KF drive. and with habitable worlds being so common, there should be more sublight efforts going on in the periphery even into the 32nd century.

IMO many of the the worlds within 20-50 light years of Terra should have been colonized before KF drive came around, though probably not heavily.

this wouldn't change a lot, but it would add a bit of extra richness to the history. it would give the oldest worlds in BT some more interesting history, and help set the Terran hegemony's expansionist and controlling mentality earlier on.

and if you have more of a history of sublight interstellar travel, those deep periphery realms with no jumpships (like the axumite provinces) become more plausible feeling.. if there is a history of using C-fractional sublight dropship sized ships to get around, people using them for regular trade in those deep periphery realms becomes less bizzare.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
honestly this is a tougher question than i thought, because a lot of stuff from Scifi would drastically change the stuff that makes battletech so good.
Indeed. I haven't yet come up with anything that would add to BT and make it better. Some things would be superfluous or outright problematic certainly.

A lot of ideas end up clashing with BT's "future of 80s aesthetic" as well as its hard SF aesthetic.

If BT's 'Mech production rates were higher, i'd probably slap some cloning tech from Star Wars to BT to have a clone army (seems silly enough for BT) but unless they get equipped with 'Mechs, they wouldn't really play nice with BT. And if they get 'Mechs, explaining the manufacturing base would be problematic...
my answer would probably be "more sublight colonization"
I like this answer but it seems to fall in the "somewhat superfluous" category ultimately. Depending on parameters, FTL probably ends up being cheaper and more practical.
And it would be limited to near-Earth stars, as you note. The issue here is that many of those didn't do very well during the Succession Wars...

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
Why spend all of that work trying to make a body double, when Max Liao has...the ear bugs from Ceti Alpha V!!!  Soon all of the great houses will declare him the new First Lord of the Timelords...or Star League...or something.  }:)

Meow Liao

Have some plum wine with that PPC.

Death by Lasers

• Master Sergeant
  Some kind of null/distortion field like in The Forever War.  Basically a handwavium field that destabilizes projectile and energy weapon trajectories to explain Battletech's ludicrously short weapon ranges.  I know that you can just say that hex sizes are an abstraction but tabletop tactics revolve around short weapons ranges and the two dimensional dog fights that result from them.
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

J.R.R Tolikien, The Two Towers

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Artificial gravity. So hard to get consistent writing about gravity and thrust, etc, etc on space ships.

Every day of the week
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
As the title says, If you could add one thing.. ANYTHING from another Sci-fi universe what would it be? Why would you add it and how do you see it impacting the BT universe?

Artificial gravity.

It'd be fairly simple too....

Simply say the KF drive emits a short ranged gravity effect that pulls objects toward it. Then have the system linked to the engines so that it can be angled to counteract thrust, but the response isn't quick enough to fully cancel out lateral acceleration so ships that get hit means the crew get to do their shake it all about routine.

It's not a major change....but it'd go a long way towards explaining the way some JumpShips look. And by tying it into the actual JumpCore you get rid of many of the problems/issues/opportunities associated with actually gravitic control.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar

The basic FTL systems is OK. There are some things that don't make a lot of sense - power requirements for one - but on the whole, it works well

Things like Fortress Republic? Super jumps? Less so. The setting could do without them.

Fortress Republic should simply have been the Republic pulling back its forces from the outer Prefectures, shortening its lines of defence and taking everything  and everyone they could with them - and possibly destroying everything they couldn't.
And the Super Jump should have simply been an enhanced range system - such as the Manassas' enhanced drive or a way to let LF batteries store 2 or 3 charges rather than "infinite range".
« Last Edit: 25 March 2017, 18:30:12 by Talen5000 »
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
That's one of the other inconsistencies I'd like to see resolved.  If energy storage density is sufficient to let you jump twice, there should be no limit aside from the tonnage you devote to energy storage.

idea weenie

• Major
Smaller KF cores and atmospheric capabilities.  You don't need to pay for transit on a Jumpship, and you can safely land to do repairs in a shirtsleeve environment.  The problem is your ship will be more expensive than a non-jump capable vessel.

I.e. Firefly

KF network.  Your ship goes to the KF rings, you transmit the ID codes and destination, and you get sent to the target system.  You don't need a KF core vessel, but installing the rings is expensive, and if you try to transit to a gate with a smaller capacity than your ship, safety systems (hopefully) won't let you.  Each local system decides where they want the Stargate in their system (closer means easier trade, but also easier raider access), plus how much capacity they can have per ship.

I.e. Star gates from Buck Rogers.

False identification ECM.  The other guy thinks your cargo bay full of grain is a solid shape, but in reality you have a Lance of Mechs in the center.

I.e. Airwolf

Cryogenics/suspended animation.  You are trying to ship cattle to another world and don't want them stampeding inside the ship?  Just drug them up so they go into a coma, and give them the antidote at the destination.  Some places give timed doses, others give you a giant needle to give the dose to each cow manually, others put nice little injectors on each cow with a button to press when it is time.  Be careful of the guys who try to cut corners with timed doses, as you may wind up with a stampede when you are entering the atmosphere ("They woke up early!").  Also good for people so they're not bored on the ~10 day trip from planet to Jumpship, and the next ~10 days from Jumpship to planet.

(All sorts of movies/series)

High speed space stations.
Sometimes you need to move more cargo than a Dropship can carry to a location in-system, reassembling the item will take too long, and using a Yardship isn't practical for one reason or another.  So load it in a space station and let the station use its up-sized engines that are capable of 1G to move it from one location to another.  (This can be voided if an existing rule for Space Station's engines are capable performing orbital maneuvers.)

I.e. any asteroid mining or gas giant siphoning operation that requires a large station on-site temporarily to gather resources.

On board recharge batteries
100 ktons each so you can't carry them in a Dropship, but being able to install one in a compact core vessel would be interesting.  Over 4* larger than a LF battery and incapable of performing quick-charge jump, but it doesn't increase the KF core cost.  Integral cooling links means the core can be recharged as though it was hooked up to a space station instead of using standard recharge rates.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Oh no, I'm not falling into this fan fiction trap.

The BTU is such a great universe in on itself that adding anything extra just feels like nerd fan service (X-Men/StarTrek cross over *facepalm* )

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Siegfried Marcus

• Sergeant
A moral/religious prohibition on tampering with the human genome, like in Dune.  I find it hard to believe that the Clans were the first ones to think of this.  The potential benefits are so great that I feel there should be some kind of explanation for its absence. 

Alternatively, genetic engineering could explain the huge chasm between the ruling class and everyone else.  Maybe the Allard's weren't relying on luck alone to pass down their "perfect soldier" traits.  The "excellent specimen" phenotype could require intensive use of some rare resource, say a certain spice, to prevent it from becoming too common.  At a minimum, a conscious selective breeding program like the Bene Gesserite would help explain the durability of the Successor State dynasties. 

Basically, I think Dune does a great job of explaining how and why a hereditary nobility of bad-asses rules an interstellar humanity.  The purpose, or course, is to contrive a universe in which a small group of recognizably human heroes shapes the fate of human civilization without resorting to magic.  So my answer is selective breeding to create the hero class, but prohibition on direct genetic tampering to keep them from becoming unfamiliar.

Here is my AU story set in the Free Rasalhague Republic.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=52953.0

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Except the Bene Tlielax violated that taboo left, right and center for centuries, even after it became public knowledge.  As far as Battletech, we already have the Belters doing it.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
FTL drives that let you drop I right to the planet system.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Death by Lasers

• Master Sergeant
Oh no, I'm not falling into this fan fiction trap.

The BTU is such a great universe in on itself that adding anything extra just feels like nerd fan service (X-Men/StarTrek cross over *facepalm* )

I already posted something, although it admittedly is to justify something that already exists in the universe, but I'm inclined to agree with you. 
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

J.R.R Tolikien, The Two Towers

Siegfried Marcus

• Sergeant
Except the Bene Tlielax violated that taboo left, right and center for centuries, even after it became public knowledge.  As far as Battletech, we already have the Belters doing it.

Exceptions that prove the rule.
Here is my AU story set in the Free Rasalhague Republic.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=52953.0

massey

• Captain

Androids.  They don't have to be common, they could be Star League tech that never entered mass production.  And they'd be way too expensive for anything like having hordes of robot soldiers.  But I think it would add to the storytelling possibilities of the setting.  It gives you an instant traitor without having to justify it as "this guy is a crazy zealot".

Register