Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: JN-*** Jinggau  (Read 8814 times)

Kidd

• Major
Re: 'Mech of the Week: JN-*** Jinggau
« Reply #30 on: 27 March 2017, 04:15:49 »
"警告" (Jǐng gào) is best rendered as "warning" or "alarm".
OH.
That would indeed be 'warning' (n.) or 'warn' (v.).

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 27 March 2017, 08:46:08 »
"警告" (Jǐng gào) is best rendered as "warning" or "alarm".

I think the Romanized spelling chosen for the 'Mech's name results from confusion between the modern Pinyin system and the older Wade-Giles system (still used in Taiwan).

[/pedant mode]

cheers,

Gabe
Just a reminder, i didn't translate Jinggau's name, i just repeated what says in the TRO. Wouldn't even try if a name is left untranslated.

Also, i'm pretty sure it is meant to be mythological siren, though it also seems the alarm siren term is derived from mythological sirens so it is difficult to be sure about this. Mythological creature names are after all used quite often for 'Mechs.

Frankly either one is pretty silly name for a 'Mech though...
Hmm. I misremembered, it was a "sonic super weapon".
...if nckestrel isn't actually joking and just provided us some behind the scenes info, the name becomes quite apt actually.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #32 on: 27 March 2017, 08:52:01 »
Great Mech in games, fun mini to work on (need to get another sometime in fact)... one of the games' true gems. It's far more effective than the sum of its parts suggests- if you want to hunt down scouts and such, this is a great choice. With the neighbors' love of fast-cav heavies and mediums, it makes sense for the Capellans to brew up something similar- between the Jinggau and Lao Hu (and the Men Shen, of course), they've definitely met that need.

A player in a long-ago campaign was able to install a salvaged Clan Gauss rifle in place of the standard one, using the leftover weight for ECM, TAG, and a Clan flamer. I hated fighting that thing.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 27 March 2017, 09:16:16 »
Frankly either one is pretty silly name for a 'Mech though......if nckestrel isn't actually joking and just provided us some behind the scenes info, the name becomes quite apt actually.

I'm something like at least three steps removed from the original reference, but that was what I was told. I have no idea how serious the "sonic super weapon" was or wasn't, if there were any details about what it would do, etc.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 27 March 2017, 10:07:20 »
I'm something like at least three steps removed from the original reference, but that was what I was told. I have no idea how serious the "sonic super weapon" was or wasn't, if there were any details about what it would do, etc.
Huh.
Ain't this mysterious.
BT books do seem to have foreshadowing embedded on them at times, i wonder FASA had plans for a sonic weapon. Would have been very fitting considering the name and the 'Mechs history (and it seems TRO3060 is reprint so the text would be FASA's original?).

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 27 March 2017, 10:41:54 »
Huh.
Ain't this mysterious.
BT books do seem to have foreshadowing embedded on them at times, i wonder FASA had plans for a sonic weapon. Would have been very fitting considering the name and the 'Mechs history (and it seems TRO3060 is reprint so the text would be FASA's original?).

Reminder that FASA was not a single person.  One person could have proposed a sonic super weapon, others said no way, and therefore the Jinggau didn't get one.  That's why I say I don't know how serious it was.  Lots of people get to propose ideas that FASA/FanPro/CGL might have taken part of it but doesn't mean they "endorse" any other intentions the person may have had.

For example, I proposed the CP-11-B as a relatively cheap, quick upgrade (Class D refit kit according to SO) for the CP-11-A (and CP-11-Z since the A was itself a cheap, quick upgrade) to deal with Liao's limited numbers of assault 'mechs.  Changes to my proposal to the design made it a much more massive refit that I had envisioned (CASE in particular) requiring a factory (Class E Refit).   So my intent is a possibly interesting footnote, but not what CGL did with it.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets