Author Topic: Does anyone else play this way?  (Read 1352 times)

Achtung Minen!

• Sergeant
Does anyone else play this way?
« on: 28 March 2017, 10:46:47 »
I know there are a lot of ways to handle unit activation and the turn order ('Mech by 'Mech, lance by lance, using a deck of cards etc.). With Alpha Strike, I've gone one step more simple... alternating units, but when you activate a unit, you resolve all movement, attacks and damage for that unit before going on to the next unit. So I will move, shoot and resolve damage for one 'Mech, and then my opponent will do the same (and so on until all units have activated).

Pretty heretical, considering how much "simultaneous damage" is a sacred cow for Battletech, but it works great! It really balances the pros and cons of going first... yes, you play your hand and open yourself up to being outmaneuvered and flanked, but you get to choose when and where your attack falls (possibly taking out an enemy before they can strike back). It also really encourages units to get "stuck in" instead of playing the dance of "should I commit or not?" Instead of dancing around the margins of the battlefield, you see 'Mechs charging in and getting dirty.

Does anyone else play like that?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Does anyone else play this way?
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2017, 11:10:44 »
Nope.  There is, however, an SPA for that if the idea appeals to you.  Personally I think it makes initiative far too powerful if applied to every unit, especially since it means you can stack high damage units on your side and reduce the enemy's numbers every other time you shoot.  It is easily exploitable in the extreme.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2017, 11:45:26 »
Nope.  There is, however, an SPA for that if the idea appeals to you.  Personally I think it makes initiative far too powerful if applied to every unit, especially since it means you can stack high damage units on your side and reduce the enemy's numbers every other time you shoot.  It is easily exploitable in the extreme.

I'd love an XCOM version of BattleTech.  But some sort of overwatch ability needs to go with it.  I need a way to provide cover for advancing, if my advancing is then going to lead to being pounced on by the opponent.   Then movement becomes a function of providing covering fire along with looking for cover, flanking and/or having units capable of taking a few hits in order to draw out the enemy.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Achtung Minen!

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2017, 15:35:00 »
I honestly recommend giving it a try! It's not overpowered, since players alternate activating units (so it's not IGOUGO). It also really encourages players to charge their units in, so there is no need to provide extra encouragement to "draw players out." Works great and is easily twice as fast!

Register