Author Topic: Mech Drop Packs / drop cocoons, cost and required time for application anywhere?  (Read 1542 times)

FawcettE

• Recruit
Hello guys, as the title says  :D

In creating a scenario for orbital insertion & conducting an invasion on the high-altitude map, I ded some research.

TacOps describes Mech drop/jump packs.
But neither TacOps nor StratOps are telling about the required time (in rounds or minutes) to apply mechs with those or especially drop cocoons for orbital insertion. Did I miss it, is it stated anywhere?  :))

And if not, what time of application would you assume?

would appreciate your help ... !!
« Last Edit: 07 April 2017, 11:08:58 by FawcettE »

snewsom2997

• Captain
This type of thing would be out of scope in the Tabletop game. Much like repairs. Hopefully you will have loaded your mechs into drop pods long before you hit orbit, loading would happen in transit, which allows for days to get task done.

I would assume 30mins to an hour to load a mech up in a drop pod.

I have a mental image of a crane lifting the mech up a few feet off the ground, and then 2 or 4 sections of drop pod being bolted together around the mech.

Armitage72

• Sergeant
The old Dropships & Jumpships book says "a well-equipped team can fit a drop pack onto the back of a Battlemech in five minutes.  This is done before the `Mech is stored away in its ceramic and metal cocoon."

It also has a table that lists the time required for various drop activities in 10 second game turns.
Fit thruster pack-30 turns
Mounting cocoon and DropPod-60 turns

It's apparently a largely automated procedure, because it's only 2 turns to fit a `Mech into the drop mechanism and 2 turns to lower the `Mech to the drop door and place it in drop position.