Author Topic: Talk to me about SLDF designs that Clanners use: The Pillager etc.  (Read 13963 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
So I have always loved the Pillager from back in the Card Game days. I have recently ordered the older sculpt to add to my Clan Blood Spirit force ( Its a SLDF design so it goes in the spirit touman I say!) I have some questions:

Is it supposed to look like the Xeno morph from Aliens? If so why? I don't mind it at all just curious...

Why the claws? Again I dig the look just curious why the " ultimate sniper" mech would have them

Speaking of which in the game or in the fiction are claws effective?  I know Yen Lo Wang wrecked a bunch of foes with its claws but in other places claws etc are dimissed as just decoration

Finally which design of the Pillager would the clans have used and if you could IIC up the pillager what would you do it?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
The Pillager does not have Claws, just claw-like hand actuators. Don't think they even have quirk "battlefists", so they're completely cosmetic. A lot of 'Mechs have cosmetic things like like claws and spikes for intimidation factor.
(The Yen-lo-wang "claws" was a hatchet rules-wise because back then there were no rules for Claws proper.)

If the Clanners actually have active pillagers in their second-line forces, it is the PLG-3Z model as that was the main Pillager of the Star League forces. The older version, PLG-1N (two AC/20s) is extinct by the Succession Wars and the others are post-Clan Invasion Capellan designs.

The PLG-3Z has availability "IS and HW Clan General" in MUL
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/2525/pillager-plg-3z

snewsom2997

• Captain
Lot's of art in TRO 3058 was done in a similar style.

Claws would just be aesthetic, they are not the actual Physical Weapon Claws that the YLW had.

I'd say that the PLG-3Z would be the only candidate for a Blood Spirit Force. Other than the Reunification War Variant, which has AC/20 instead of Gauss Rifles. Most variants were developed after the recovery of the Helm Core by the Capellean Confederation.

Personally I like the Pillager Anvil, but it is an experimental one off.

Luciora

• Major
The Anvil version is produced as a guard mech for the factory.  I'm sure you can make up a story or history for how your group got one,  or several.  The way the tech has been moving,  it won't be experimental for long.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Right!

I always loved the Black Knight but hated the mini so I used the new DA Black Knight that IWM put out: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=9003

Which is one of my favorite sculpts they have ever done. Hey it is armed with all clan spec weapons and so its going into my Blood Guard Keshik!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
(The Yen-lo-wang "claws" was a hatchet rules-wise because back then there were no rules for Claws proper.)

in the book the "nails" on the YLW were basically just cosmetic.. they snapped off the moment he used that hand for a melee attack. the issue that gave it the hatchet was the fact that it removed the LRM10 to fit the AC20 on, per the book. which left it with a lot of unused weight. and since at the time you couldn't have underweight legal units, they had to use the mass somewhere. additional ammunition was out, and it couldn't mount more armor.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
in the book the "nails" on the YLW were basically just cosmetic.. they snapped off the moment he used that hand for a melee attack. the issue that gave it the hatchet was the fact that it removed the LRM10 to fit the AC20 on, per the book. which left it with a lot of unused weight. and since at the time you couldn't have underweight legal units, they had to use the mass somewhere. additional ammunition was out, and it couldn't mount more armor.
Yeah, i remember though i just interpreted the Centurion just receiving a crit to the melee weapon for some indeterminate reason while using it.

Luciora

• Major
Or like how the first hatchetman was oversinked with no axe and 3 heat sinks were removed for the tonnage

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
To the OP . . . its a 3/5/3 with 2 headcappers.  It MIGHT be in a star with Highlanders, Highlander IICs and Bloodkites or something similar.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
But SLDF designs in Clan Tomans to my understanding have almost always been used by 2nd line and Garrison formations, yes? To me, I always interpreted their placement as a inherent bias against older 'Brian Cache' equipment (They might be pro Star League-In-their-own-minds but to prefer a Pillager to a Daishi or Warhawk? Never)

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
The Pillager does not have Claws, just claw-like hand actuators. Don't think they even have quirk "battlefists", so they're completely cosmetic. A lot of 'Mechs have cosmetic things like like claws and spikes for intimidation factor.
Pretty much. The claws are a hold-over from the original Stardate magazine artwork: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=34361.0

[corrected publication]
« Last Edit: 08 April 2017, 09:31:46 by Cache »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
For most sure . . . but for the Spirits?  They are equipment limited enough they might have a frontline cluster with a assault star of- Pillager 3Z, Highlander IIC, Blood Kite, Marauder IIC 3, and Emperor 6A . . . why?  Because the Pillagers give you two head-cappers and they will not be ignored, and the Emp gives you shotguns.  IMO that would be a pretty powerful jumping assault star (or if you need to drop the weight, put a Guillotine IIC or such) that could easily be found in the Spirits hands- especially after the Burrock absorption debacle.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
The Pillager does not have Claws, just claw-like hand actuators. Don't think they even have quirk "battlefists", so they're completely cosmetic.

At least as of the beta version of the Battlemech Manual, the Pillager does indeed have the battlefist quirk.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
For most sure . . . but for the Spirits?  They are equipment limited enough they might have a frontline cluster with a assault star of- Pillager 3Z, Highlander IIC, Blood Kite, Marauder IIC 3, and Emperor 6A . . . why?  Because the Pillagers give you two head-cappers and they will not be ignored, and the Emp gives you shotguns.  IMO that would be a pretty powerful jumping assault star (or if you need to drop the weight, put a Guillotine IIC or such) that could easily be found in the Spirits hands- especially after the Burrock absorption debacle.

Yup

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
Maybe we will get a IIC variant in the upcoming TRO: Golden Century?

It is great a design demanding a updated Clantech variant, IMHO.
We do not have so many Clantech 100 Tonner.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
I support this and the new sculpt we will hopefully get! What upgrades do you think a IIC would have?

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
If it gets a IIc treatment, it will be bad enough to have died out quickly.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
The Behemoth\Stone Rhino already fills allot of the roles the Pillager IIC would
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Well, the SERO has a SFE . . . Pillager has a XL.  A SL Pillager also has more ammo (48 vs 32) than a SERO carries . . . and if you gave it IIC treatment it could carry even more.  One additional way to make it different would be to give it ER lasers on the upgrade rather than pulse . . . especially if the Spirits did it, I could see it making the MLs on the centerline Larges like the Blood Kite has equipped.
Colt Ward

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
i don't think we'd get a pillager IIC.. but a Pillager "C" replacing the weapons with clan models, but leaving the chassis parts IS would fit well.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
For a Pillage "C" you could simply change the XL for a Standard engine when updating the weapons to Clantech.
Simple, but elegant update.

The XL could be used for an Omnimech.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I like the PLG-1N because its a double the Victor than the Victor is.  PLG-1N is slightly slower, but it does same thing and it's nastier if it gets you. It's essentially urban brawler/close-quarters combat machine.

Clanners properly use 3Z as a Solahma despite it being all together than many designs despite it having Star League Tech. I guess Clan scientist kept pursuing new designs than reinventing old ones with the IIC versions of many of the classics.

Honestly, its a backfill machine, it came in to history later in the game as a early machine (not counting resurrection/intro in 3058). So there won't be AS much history in the past why a IIC version never existed.  Heck the Imp C far nastier than Pillager goes.  Especially it's variant.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2017, 15:00:30 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Yes the imp! Has there been a mech of the week article on it yet?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Yes the imp! Has there been a mech of the week article on it yet?

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18407.0.html

Best bet is to go into Chanman's index thread there (it's stickied) and run a search in your browser for the name of the unit you're looking for. Should come right up- if it doesn't, it means either that it hasn't been done, or you need to check your spelling (see: my typing 'Ipm' in my original search)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Awesome read it! The Imp has always been a fav of mine even before I got into the Blood Spirits as to me it embodies the Fugly but Fierce look and feel I try to maintain

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Imp and Annihilater. The later is naster than the Pillager is as well. Especially C versions, but its not true generalist due lack speed and jumpjets.

Personally I wish the Pillager had royal version. Having spikes on its battlefist be nice touch making a point some one u aren't happy to see them!  ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
The other side of that is to consider what it means if your twin-Gauss-toting 100 tonner is in a fistfight.

It means you casually threw your range advantage in the lake.  :P
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Wotan

• Lieutenant
Personally I wish the Pillager had royal version.

I always considered the twin gauss version as a royal.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
What about the victor fluff says a bunch left on the exodus

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
What about the victor fluff says a bunch left on the exodus

I think that's forgotten given how old that fuff is sadly.

I always considered the twin gauss version as a royal.
Gauss Rifles are pretty old by time the SL Civil War happened.  Thunderhawks started showing up as well as prototype Devastators and among others.  Pillager could at least gotten ER Large Laser or something to that effect.

Least the Capellans are still making the Pillager via St. Ives or were. *shrugs* Hard to say now.